**Official 2008 MD/PhD Acceptance Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Pennquaker, thats awesome! I was wondering when those decision would come, because they told me late November....of course now i will be waiting by phone for a call from my parents if a letter arrived

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on Einstein, Pennquaker! See - I told you it was only a matter of time before you got an MSTP acceptance. :) (And wasn't this in spite of a snafu with a thank you note? That's great!)

Congrats on Einstein, Pennquaker! See - I told you it was only a matter of time before you got an MSTP acceptance. :) (And wasn't this in spite of a snafu with a thank you note? That's great!)

Thank you so much!!!! And yes, it was the site of The Great Thank-you Letter Gaffe...so I'm definitely doubly surprised! I really loved Einstein...the people are so laid back and the administration is really responsive...plus there's New York City!

Members don't see this ad :)
AECOM: pennquaker08 (12/14, by post)
Baylor: revaldo29 (MD offer 12/12, still waiting for MSTP)
Case Western: j-weezy (11/19 - phone call)
Cornell Tri-I: Dodo23 (12/7 - e-mail to call office), neuropenguin (12/7 - e-mail to call office), chickenlittle's SO (12/7, email to call office)
Drexel: chylo (11/14, email)
Duke: Dodo23 (12/14 - phone call)
Medical College of Georgia: solumanculver (12/13, regular mail)
Medical College of Wisconsin: FoxTrot12 (12/14, email)
Mount Sinai MSTP: MSTPbound (11/26 - email), meowkat444 (11/28, email), Redoc (12/8, e-mail), Ziggy08 (12/8, email)
NYU: Picklesali (11/12, email), Dodo23 (11/12, email)
Penn State: chylo (11/20, snail mail)
University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email), clover86 (10/26, email)
University of Massachusetts: bioartist (11/16, email)
UMDNJ-RWJ/Rutgers/Princeton: chylo (12/4- phone call)
University of Michigan: solitude (10/31, email), j-weezy (11/14, email), revaldo29 (11/21, email); Kraazy (11/29, email); Picklesali (12/7, email)
University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail), chickenlittle's SO (12/7, email stating letter was mailed on 11/30)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call)
Vanderbilt: j-weezy (10/17 - call from director), revaldo29 (11/30- call from director), HypoxiaBoy (11/30 - call from director), The Force (12/1 - call from director)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same)

Pennquaker said:
Oh cruel world, what will become of me if I am forced only to be a clinician :eek:!!

I thought you were being a little dramatic when you wrote this ;)

Congratulations, I'm sure this is the first of many to come!

Thank you so much OD and everyone else! I would have been a total basket case (well...more than I already am anyway) weren't it for your support!! Indeed, parents and friends can be comforting, but there's a definite experience gap...they just don't know what it's really like the way we all do around here. I'm so happy to have the privilege of being a member of such a wonderful, supportive community! Here's to all of us!!! :D

AECOM: pennquaker08 (12/14, by post)
Cornell Tri-I: Dodo23 (12/7 - e-mail to call office), neuropenguin (12/7 - e-mail to call office), chickenlittle's SO (12/7, email to call office)
Mount Sinai: MSTPbound (11/26 - email), meowkat444 (11/28, email), Redoc (12/8, e-mail), Ziggy08 (12/8, email)
University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email), clover86 (10/26, email)
University of Michigan: solitude (10/31, email), j-weezy (11/14, email), revaldo29 (11/21, email); Kraazy (11/29, email); Picklesali (12/7, email)
University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail), chickenlittle's SO (12/7, email stating letter was mailed on 11/30)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call)
Vanderbilt: j-weezy (10/17 - call from director), revaldo29 (11/30- call from director), HypoxiaBoy (11/30 - call from director), The Force (12/1 - call from director)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same)[/quote]

Thank you so much OD and everyone else! I would have been a total basket case (well...more than I already am anyway) weren't it for your support!! Indeed, parents and friends can be comforting, but there's a definite experience gap...they just don't know what it's really like the way we all do around here. I'm so happy to have the privilege of being a member of such a wonderful, supportive community! Here's to all of us!!! :D

I agree - even my boyfriend who is an M1 doesn't understand what I'm going through. I love our little community. Congrats on your acceptance and the Gates interview! I think we need to arrange to go shopping in DC since you will be out of town during my Penn interview. I think you now need to give me a little of the luck you have so that I can leave the no acceptance club soon!

I agree - even my boyfriend who is an M1 doesn't understand what I'm going through. I love our little community. Congrats on your acceptance and the Gates interview! I think we need to arrange to go shopping in DC since you will be out of town during my Penn interview. I think you now need to give me a little of the luck you have so that I can leave the no acceptance club soon!

DC shopping is wonderful...Dupont Circle, Georgetown are a lot of fun. And don't worry OD, if I can get an acceptance while completely messing up the easiest part of the interview process, the thank-you after the fact, then you're going to get in all over the place! Your mdapps is very intimidating to be sure and yet you're such a sweet person...everybody is going to want you.

And I agree, our community rules. We all need to stay in touch during MSTP!

And as far as the Gates is concerned, I have no shot...I've been reading over some of last year's winners and clearly I'm not in the same league. But it's all good...I'll just fall back on med school :D.

DC shopping is wonderful...Dupont Circle, Georgetown are a lot of fun. And don't worry OD, if I can get an acceptance while completely messing up the easiest part of the interview process, the thank-you after the fact, then you're going to get in all over the place! Your mdapps is very intimidating to be sure and yet you're such a sweet person...everybody is going to want you.

Ohh that's such a nice thing to say! Is AECOM where you sent a thank you note with the wrong school name and the guy sent it back to you? That was so rude! We are all human and (gasp!) make mistakes. I don't think my MDApps is any more intimidating than anyone else on this board. Do you think that good applications are usually inversely correlated with being nice? It has been my experience on the interview trail that everyone is really nice, although this may be because we are on an interview... Then again, solitude has an AMAZING app and is a very nice person in real life. Well I hope you are right about people wanting me because I have starting turning down interviews due to time constraints, which is nerve-wracking without an acceptance.

Oh, and we must go shopping! I google mapped it and it's only 40 min from Annapolis to DC. I am in serious United Colors of Benetton/Club Monaco withdrawal. That is probably my biggest complaint about living in Iowa - bad shopping.

And I agree, our community rules. We all need to stay in touch during MSTP!

And as far as the Gates is concerned, I have no shot...I've been reading over some of last year's winners and clearly I'm not in the same league. But it's all good...I'll just fall back on med school :D.

I agree - too bad we all can't go to the same MSTP. You have a shot at the Gates if you got an interview. Those bios are intimidating. I am going to write mine this weekend I think but am not looking forward to it. You're right though, if we don't win, there's always med school. Wow, what a terrible plan B! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh that's such a nice thing to say! Is AECOM where you sent a thank you note with the wrong school name and the guy sent it back to you? That was so rude! We are all human and (gasp!) make mistakes. I don't think my MDApps is any more intimidating than anyone else on this board. Do you think that good applications are usually inversely correlated with being nice? It has been my experience on the interview trail that everyone is really nice, although this may be because we are on an interview... Then again, solitude has an AMAZING app and is a very nice person in real life. Well I hope you are right about people wanting me because I have starting turning down interviews due to time constraints, which is nerve-wracking without an acceptance.

Worry not...I think interviews are definitely a matter of diminishing returns. I wasted way too much money on applying to too many schools, I think. (Especially considering my own state schools rejected me...too bad I can't joke now about going to the most corrupt educational institution in the country!)

As far as my profile comment goes, I don't mean it as applying specifically to us. Just that, in general, it seems like the really motivated people who accomplish all sorts of wonderful things tend to forsake social graces along the way (I have quite a few Whartonites in mind...) MD/PhD students I think are enigmatic in this way. Moreover, I have actually found MD/PhD-ers to be way more grounded and kind than the MD-only people at interviews. Am I the only one to see this? The MD/PhD students sit around and talk about books, travel, and the meaning of life while the MD only interviewees grill each other about their stats (I kid you not...I have actually heard this first-hand). Maybe that's why our forum is so much more congenial than the pre-allo? I guess we already know that by getting interviews we have a good shot at getting in (not necessarily so for MD only people) and since we know that we'll be seeing each other around even if we don't go to the same school at conferences and such, we keep it in the back of our minds that we'll all be colleagues no matter what? Beyond all of that, people who work in labs are just a little, well, different anyway, so we all operate on the same wavelength as far as that's concerned ;). I love the collegiality that we are fostering already, even before med school. It truly has been an honor to meet all of the SDN-ers I have had the privilege to meet, and surely I'm looking forward to meeting all whom I haven't yet had the pleasure to meet............sorry if this is somewhat incoherent...it's past my bedtime!

Oh, and we must go shopping! I google mapped it and it's only 40 min from Annapolis to DC. I am in serious United Colors of Benetton/Club Monaco withdrawal. That is probably my biggest complaint about living in Iowa - bad shopping.

Well, I come from New Jersey, home of Fountain of Waynes's proverbial "valley of malls" (Is it required by law that all New Jersey bands harp on suburban anomie? Actually, though, I love FOW...they do it better than anybody else...) Unfortunately, though, having lots of shopping doesn't necessarily mean good shopping. There's just a lot of Gap and Abercrombie, etc. (don't get me wrong I shop on the sale racks there, but I find them rather boring). I'll take an indie boutique in Iowa City anyday over Sak's at The Mall at Short Hills!

I agree - too bad we all can't go to the same MSTP. You have a shot at the Gates if you got an interview. Those bios are intimidating. I am going to write mine this weekend I think but am not looking forward to it. You're right though, if we don't win, there's always med school. Wow, what a terrible plan B! :rolleyes:

I wrote my bio tonight but it sounds so...depressingly mundane. I've never singlehandedly saved an endangered species or taught a blind person to see through his nose or anything really compelling. I'm just a lab rat who likes to watch movies. Ah well, if I don't get it, then I'll look on the bright side...I'll get my first job closer to the beginning of my 30s than the middle!

Hey, I'm a lab rat who likes to read 150-200 yr-old novels and watch movies from the mid-20th century; I don't think it's such a bad or uncommon thing. :)

And yeah, nearly everyone I've met on the interview trail, including SDN-ers, have been both incredibly accomplished and really nice. Nobody else I know understands just how much work goes into this process, or how exhausting and all-consuming it all is - not even the MD-only applicants. It's been wonderful to find such a supportive community here, and I hope we can stay in touch during our MSTP years.

I have actually found MD/PhD-ers to be way more grounded and kind than the MD-only people at interviews. Am I the only one to see this? The MD/PhD students sit around and talk about books, travel, and the meaning of life while the MD only interviewees grill each other about their stats (I kid you not...I have actually heard this first-hand). Maybe that's why our forum is so much more congenial than the pre-allo? ... I love the collegiality that we are fostering already, even before med school.

I've been wondering about this. At schools where MD and MD-PhD applicants interview on the same day for the MD part, I've tended to gravitate toward the MD-PhD applicants for the same kinds of reasons you've cited. As you've said, the MD-PhD applicants often seem 'nicer' and less fixated on stats and similar things than many of the MD applicants. I don't think it's accidental. In my own case, I think I had far more of a 'one-track' mind when I was MD-only. Around the same time that I began seriously considering the MD-PhD track, I also realized that I could not go into it thinking I was putting my life on hold for the duration of the program and could pick up where I had left off afterward. Rather, I realized my life would be unfolding throughout, sometimes in ways I might not predict, and I'd have to find some kind of work-life balance for myself. I think I became (or allowed myself to be) a more well-balanced person after I made that leap.

I don't know if this is making any sense - it is late after all.

However, Pennquaker, I simply have to make an exception for MD-only applicants from my UG school :D - they're generally congenial, well-rounded and interesting in ways that I've seen more commonly among MD-PhD applicants. I am also more likely to know and be friends with them already, so I start gabbing shamelessly with them the moment I see them. :oops: Seriously, they're all really nice, though. Going through the grind of premed courses with them was so worth it, just for the privilege of learning with and from them and getting to know them as people.

It truly has been an honor to meet all of the SDN-ers I have had the privilege to meet, and surely I'm looking forward to meeting all whom I haven't yet had the pleasure to meet

Ditto. :D

Well, I come from New Jersey, home of Fountain of Waynes's proverbial "valley of malls" (Is it required by law that all New Jersey bands harp on suburban anomie? Actually, though, I love FOW...they do it better than anybody else...) Unfortunately, though, having lots of shopping doesn't necessarily mean good shopping. There's just a lot of Gap and Abercrombie, etc. (don't get me wrong I shop on the sale racks there, but I find them rather boring). I'll take an indie boutique in Iowa City anyday over Sak's at The Mall at Short Hills!

There are a few fun boutiques in Iowa City, but most of the shopping here is also at the mall and is similarly boring. The boutiques are also quite expensive for a student's income.

I wrote my bio tonight but it sounds so...depressingly mundane. I've never singlehandedly saved an endangered species or taught a blind person to see through his nose or anything really compelling. I'm just a lab rat who likes to watch movies. Ah well, if I don't get it, then I'll look on the bright side...I'll get my first job closer to the beginning of my 30s than the middle!

Yes, I am not looking forward to this exercise.

However, Pennquaker, I simply have to make an exception for MD-only applicants from my UG school - they're generally congenial, well-rounded and interesting in ways that I've seen more commonly among MD-PhD applicants. I am also more likely to know and be friends with them already, so I start gabbing shamelessly with them the moment I see them. Seriously, they're all really nice, though. Going through the grind of premed courses with them was so worth it, just for the privilege of learning with and from them and getting to know them as people.

I must similarly except my school's pre-MD population as well! It's just all those...other schools (well, except Harvard :D). More seriously, I find that some are, as you say, really cool, affable people, and some are one-track and cutthroat. I definitely think it depends on the person more than the environment, since being pre-med is probably pretty similar at most places, at least at the mid-sized universities like ours....that is, unless there is some magical mist in the air of Harvard's organic chemistry labs that they're keeping secret from the rest of us :p!

I love the collegiality that we are fostering already, even before med school.

I agree. Impressively, this is all happening under the sturm und drang of interviews! Imagine next year how awesome our class year will be when all we need to do is pass med school.

AECOM: pennquaker08 (12/14, by post), MSTPbound (12/14, snailmail)
Mount Sinai: MSTPbound (11/26 - email), meowkat444 (11/28, email), Redoc (12/8, e-mail), Ziggy08 (12/8, email)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same)

Thanks, meowkat! I hope you, too, receive good news from Duke soon. Best of :luck:

Thanks Meowkat! I'm going to start give up my spot there though... I wouldn't go there over Sinai. I wonder if we'll be classmates next year?

Good :luck: w/ the rest of the cycle!

-Mbound

I'm leaning towards Mt. Sinai. I loved the neuroscience faculty there. We might be classmates next year. :) I still have to see how Emory and Harvard is though...

Hey Wash U acceptees (I think that's revaldo and solitude),

How did you finally hear from Wash U? A fellow MSTP applicant and I both noticed that our status pages changed yesterday, but it says nothing about MD vs. MSTP, so we're not sure what to make of that. Hopefully this means we'll get a phone call or e-mail from them early this week.

Hey Wash U acceptees (I think that's revaldo and solitude),

How did you finally hear from Wash U? A fellow MSTP applicant and I both noticed that our status pages changed yesterday, but it says nothing about MD vs. MSTP, so we're not sure what to make of that. Hopefully this means we'll get a phone call or e-mail from them early this week.

Well they told us when the MSTP committee was going to meet, and said that if we didn't hear from them on the afternoon of the committee meeting (via e-mail), then we were into the MSTP. But it took another month to filter through the MD committee. Ultimately I heard for sure from Bryan who called me, apparently after he found out that I had been accepted to the MD as well. I received a Fedex from the MD committee soon thereafter, and a formal MSTP acceptance a few days later.

edit: I don't recall how my status page changed. I wasn't neurotic enough to check :).

Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same),
notlikethat (express mail)

Well they told us when the MSTP committee was going to meet, and said that if we didn't hear from them on the afternoon of the committee meeting (via e-mail), then we were into the MSTP. But it took another month to filter through the MD committee. Ultimately I heard for sure from Bryan who called me, apparently after he found out that I had been accepted to the MD as well. I received a Fedex from the MD committee soon thereafter, and a formal MSTP acceptance a few days later.

edit: I don't recall how my status page changed. I wasn't neurotic enough to check :).
Haha, solitude! Funny one. :) And thanks for the info. I got the idea of checking my status page from a bunch of MD-only applicants, so there. ;)

I, too, got an express mail today, but just from the MD committee. Congrats notlikethat!

Haha, solitude! Funny one. :) And thanks for the info. I got the idea of checking my status page from a bunch of MD-only applicants, so there. ;)

I, too, got an express mail today, but just from the MD committee. Congrats notlikethat!

Yay! Congratulations. I think it's only a matter of time before the MSTP acceptance arrives. Now enjoy your, uh, break-ish thing :(.

Yay! Congratulations. I think it's only a matter of time before the MSTP acceptance arrives. Now enjoy your, uh, break-ish thing :(.

Thanks! Yeah, it's supremely annoying not to have a genuine break at last. :( At least the only work I'm planning on taking home is for my English class, and I'm kinda looking forward to getting into Madame Bovary and The Brothers Karamazov at last. But first I need to catch up on :sleep: .

Yup, same here. Still hoping for that phone call!

I LOVED Madame Bovary... Haven't read The Brothers Karamazov, but I'm (finally!) starting to read Crime and Punishment.

I LOVED Madame Bovary... Haven't read The Brothers Karamazov, but I'm (finally!) starting to read Crime and Punishment.

Crime and Punishment is great!

Although - I had to make nicknames for the characters so I could pronounce them easily in my inner monologue:)

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of the Russians but I did not enjoy Crime and Punishment. I don't really recall what it was in particular that I disliked so much; I just didn't like it nearly as much as the other acclaimed works. My advice is to go with Anna Karenina or Brothers Karamazov first. I've yet to endeavor to read War and Peace, but I have it on my shelf and Dodo already challenged me to a read-off. Any other takers?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of the Russians but I did not enjoy Crime and Punishment. I don't really recall what it was in particular that I disliked so much; I just didn't like it nearly as much as the other acclaimed works. My advice is to go with Anna Karenina or Brothers Karamazov first. I've yet to endeavor to read War and Peace, but I have it on my shelf and Dodo already challenged me to a read-off. Any other takers?

Well, I love Russian literature too! I've read Anna Karenina, and I really enjoyed it. If you like Russian literature, I'd recommend reading Anton Chekhov's short stories and plays, Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, and Bulgakov's Master and Margarita.

I'd love to participate in a War and Peace read-off!

University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call), richardlo (12/18, phone call)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same),
notlikethat (express mail)

Got into the 2nd-round pick after clover86 and skillmatic :laugh:

Congrats chylo!!!!

I am so happy you got into RWJMS especially...you were the nicest, coolest person there!

Aw, thanks. For now that's where I think I'm gonna be next year... Am somewhat itching to leave Philly, though I love it here & certainly would be elated if Penn would offer me an interview!!

Congrats on getting into AE!

And congrats to everyone else too. I'd go crazy(er) w/o you all.

Aw, thanks. For now that's where I think I'm gonna be next year... Am somewhat itching to leave Philly, though I love it here & certainly would be elated if Penn would offer me an interview!!

Congrats on getting into AE!

And congrats to everyone else too. I'd go crazy(er) w/o you all.

Thanks!

And btw is not wanting to be in Philly the major reason why you're thinking of going RWJ over Drexel? I'm only curious because you mentioned how much you loved the Drexel program.

University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call), richardlo (12/18, phone call)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same), notlikethat (express mail), Ziggy08 (12/18-email)

Great news to hear following a long, after-finals nap!

Congrats!!! (both on the acceptance and on being done with finals!)

? I'm confused

Well of course you're confused - you edited the wittiness out of my comment!

i was just being witty about the "being one with finals" statement

sigh

but you caught on and edited your original statement

way to make me look bad!!!

just kidding

j - both done and one with finals - weezy

University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail), chickenlittle's SO (12/7, email stating letter was mailed on 11/30), pennquaker08 (12/19...by post, off waitlist)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same), notlikethat (express mail), Ziggy08 (12/18-email)

congrats pennquaker! see - things are starting to roll in!!

hooray!

Congrats Pennquaker! I am hoping to hear from them any time now.

Thanks so much j and goldsonic! And believe me, if I got in, you'll get in no sweat...I'm the worst interviewee ever!!!

Haha, well you can't be that bad. Did you like the program there?

Thanks so much j and goldsonic! And believe me, if I got in, you'll get in no sweat...I'm the worst interviewee ever!!!

well let's just say I'm not holding my breath for Pitt seeing as they rejected me post-secondary

BUT - this means you're guaranteed a spot in Pennsylvania (if that's what you want) and all you have to do is sit back and wait for Penn!

Goldsonic--Yes, I really liked Pitt a lot. The student body is really great--laid back and yet immensely talented. The administrators, Manjit Singh and Clayton Wiley, seem very in touch with the students and eminently willing to make changes in response to students' wishes...something I definitely didn't see/hear everywhere. The city is not New York, to be sure, but it seems nice for a town of its size (good orchestra, theater, restaurants), plus it has a lot of beautiful natural surroundings (rafting, hiking, etc., not that I'm into exercise...) And, of course, the research apparatus there is top notch and they're really making a very active effort to push for new, younger faculty which I find very important.

J--:D yes I hope the Keystone State continues to be good to me! Here's to hoping for the other side of the commonwealth...for you and me both!!!