Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone gotten Georgetown's secondary to certify without that "Basic elements incomplete" error?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got Cornell's secondary. It looks like we have to fill it out all at one time. Could someone confirm that you can't save information?

no saving. just write the essay in word then copy and paste it back in.

Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendations Requirements not yet Complete-

for those who got this message, are you actually calling? or just going to wait for the secondary?

Just got the email, it asks for pre-reqs, including their behavioral science/soc requirement, a list of activities.

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction (s), and how it affected you. If this situation or a similar one were to happen again, how would you handle it (250 words).

2. Describe a hobby, interest, or activity other than something in medicine, that you are passionate about or love. Why? (250 words)

3. Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements or obstacles. (150 words).

Asks for other information about family background, educational debt, etc.

Just got the email, it asks for pre-reqs, including their behavioral science/soc requirement, a list of activities.

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction (s), and how it affected you. If this situation or a similar one were to happen again, how would you handle it (250 words).

2. Describe a hobby, interest, or activity other than something in medicine, that you are passionate about or love. Why? (250 words)

3. Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements or obstacles. (150 words).

Asks for other information about family background, educational debt, etc.

How did you get in to see it? I've been logging into the status page, which tells me "Process Complete - Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635 for Further Information." How did you get the secondary? What link did you use?

Also, anyone else think they meant "disadvantages" in question 3 above?

Finally, anyone get them to accept classes in lieu of psych? I'm assuming that they won't, but please share if anyone found a way to get a waiver. I found a couple of people posted about their conversations with UIC admissions about the behavioral sciences prereqs in the "Chicago Schools" thread. Here's the story they all got from UIC:

I met with someone from admissions last week and they said as long as you get the classes complete before matriculation you are okay. This is for all prereqs, not just the psych. He said psychology, sociology, antropology...any 3 and they do not necessarily have to be 2 in the same area. That's what he said, but I know the schools website might not be consistent with that.

I asked about the upper level bio and they said biochem counts even if housed under chem. Don't know about other psych course-- was a psych major so it finally worked in my favor... at last.

I think its still "advantages" bc they mention achievements....

I think its still "advantages" bc they mention achievements....

Yeah, I saw that, but I couldn't quite imagine what they're looking for. What's an "advantage" vs. a complication in the progress of education? Having your parents pay for your college education? Not having to work through college? Etc.? Or do they mean "advantage" like, "hey, I'm smart! I barely had to study for classes and got straight As!" Ok, I'm being a bit facetious, but it does seem a little odd. I guess more feasible "advantages" might be phrased as a strong support system, living in several different cities to broaden perspective, etc. Otherwise, I have no clue what they're looking for. I'm not overly concerned about this question, but it did strike me as a little curious. Any other interpretations?

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - e-mail invite
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
Ohio state - email invitation
Pitt-email invite
SUNY Downstate - not sure
SUNY Upstate - Email Invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Rochester - snail mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

Does AECOM screen? How many of you guys have actually gotten their secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just wondering which schools have the "anything else you want tot ell us essay?" i know yale and columbia do, but what other schools??? does cornell???

How did you get in to see it? I've been logging into the status page, which tells me "Process Complete - Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635 for Further Information." How did you get the secondary? What link did you use?

I got an email that had the following link:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/supplemental/

Ok, now I'm confused. My email from UIC yesterday just gave me a login/password to check my status, and a link to check my status. Here's what it said:

Dear ________,
Thank you for considering UIC College of Medicine for your medical education. To better serve applicants, UIC has developed an on-line service for monitoring the progress of your application. Your personal password for this web application is ______. Please be careful not to share this password with anyone.
To check the status of your application please click on Applicant Status Check, type your AAMC ID number, and your personal password where indicated. If you have trouble accessing the webpage, please email the Webmaster at [email protected] with a description of the error. Please make sure that the Web Browser you use is Internet Explorer version 5 and above or Netscape Navigator version 6.2 and above. This email was generated automatically, so please do not try replying to it.

UIC College of Medicine Admissions

I'm assuming you got something different. I guess I should call them and ask if I can fill out the secondary? Thoughts?

I got the email you are talking about yesterday, and then I got a second email with a link to the secondary today.

yesterday, someone posted that the georgetown secondary was in their gmail spam box. i have a habit of deleting all my spam before checking my email and the last place on earth i expected to find a secondary is my spam box. i emailed the admissions office but they haven't contacted me back yet. did this happen to anyone else, and did anyone not get a secondary from georgetown yet (perhaps i didnt delete mine because it didnt come yet...)
Thanks!

Have you guys gotten the BU secondary? I know some people have, but I sent my primary in early and I haven't heard from them yet. Just wondering about everyone else.

Can we expand the space given to us on the secondary application for our essays...how am I to write about what I have been doing during a break in school if I only have one line?

Any help would be appreciated!

Have you guys gotten the BU secondary? I know some people have, but I sent my primary in early and I haven't heard from them yet. Just wondering about everyone else.

Same here. I am sure they are sending them out in batches just like most other schools.

i received the georgetown secondary yesterday and I found it in my spam box.

Can we expand the space given to us on the secondary application for our essays...how am I to write about what I have been doing during a break in school if I only have one line?

Any help would be appreciated!

I had the same problem with Tulane's secondary, and just tried to be as terse as I could to get the gist across of what I was doing in one line. I'm assuming they don't put much emphasis on it if they didn't give a lot of room. If it's something you really want to talk about/stress, I'd send an "update letter" telling them about what you're up to so they can add it to your file. I don't know if that's the right method, but that's what I'd do. Otherwise, give them a call and ask. They were very nice on the phone. Good luck.

I was verified on June 6th, and received the BU secondary on 6/29. I'm sure they're just sending them out in batches. Maybe it's not by verification date, but instead by AMCAS ID, or last name, or state, or....who knows?

Same here. I am sure they are sending them out in batches just like most other schools.
I did emailed BU and they confirmed they are mailing out in batchs so don't worry :)

georgetown's secondary is almost like writing another primary statement.. 5000 characters isnt short........ ugh.

georgetown's secondary is almost like writing another primary statement.. 5000 characters isnt short........ ugh.

They say 5000 characters (or about a page) for the essay. I have found that my essay is a page but is way less than 5000 characters. Should I quit now or continue the BSing?

haha.. well, i think that one page can vary depending on the font size etc.. i think 5000 characters is standard regardless of font and size, so i'd use that as a determining factor. then again, just because they say 5000 doesn't mean you have to write that much.. write enough to get the point across

They say 5000 characters (or about a page) for the essay. I have found that my essay is a page but is way less than 5000 characters. Should I quit now or continue the BSing?

I didn't write 5000 characters. Mine was 3000-some. I wouldn't continue to BS if you've said all you want to say.

Seems like secondaries are rolling out much faster this year. Damn AMCAS is so slow!

yesterday, someone posted that the georgetown secondary was in their gmail spam box. i have a habit of deleting all my spam before checking my email and the last place on earth i expected to find a secondary is my spam box. i emailed the admissions office but they haven't contacted me back yet. did this happen to anyone else, and did anyone not get a secondary from georgetown yet (perhaps i didnt delete mine because it didnt come yet...)
Thanks!

I have yet to receive Georgetown's app also, and it was not in my spam box either.

Does AECOM screen? How many of you guys have actually gotten their secondary?

they don't screen (it's up online!). i have yet to get their secondary, and i was verified before June 21

They aren't sending them out until they finish with this year's class. So we'll probably get them around the end of July.

i was just wondering which schools have the "anything else you want tot ell us essay?" i know yale and columbia do, but what other schools??? does cornell???

Cornell does not have an essay like that.

Hey so did u guys send in a picture for columbia??? I used the online submission and payment so i wish there was a way to upload a pic

for the columbia picture.. there is a form you print out and snail mail with your picture

WashU has one. I didn't write anything though, because it would have been a bunch of BS, since I'm mostly a normalish premed...

for the columbia picture.. there is a form you print out and snail mail with your picture

And for goodness' sake, use a passport-style picture. I talked to a now-MD who sent one of her not looking at the camera, drink in hand... she says it came back to haunt her *after* residency!

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Case Western - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - e-mail invite
FSU - email invitation
Georgetown - e-mail invite
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
Ohio state - email invitation
Pitt-email invite
SUNY Downstate - not sure
SUNY Upstate - Email Invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Rochester - snail mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

Man, that was rough. I stop for two days and look what happens. Haha. Hope that helps, guys.

And for goodness' sake, use a passport-style picture. I talked to a now-MD who sent one of her not looking at the camera, drink in hand... she says it came back to haunt her *after* residency!

I remember reading about some guy's post on SDN about how he was lazy and sent in a photo the last app cycle where he was wearing a tank top, an earring and had not shaved recently. He said he only got interviews at schools that didn't see that photo.

I was holding off on that section because I wasn't sure how much I should repeat. I think that I will basically cut and paste.

And yes, I'm drowning... gasp...
And getting carple tunnel from so much frickin' typing

so you guys think a basic cut and paste would do here? are you guys writing this as essay format or bullet points to describe the activities?

thanks!

I have some questions about the vermont secondary,for the experience section and the classifications of the participation frequency:

a) For a research position that is full-time, but which I have taken two months because I could not work at the lab, but will resume to full-time status in July, should this be "continuous"? Similarly, something that is mostly regular should be considered "continuous", regardless of whether it is full-time participation, or an hour weekly?
b) For activities that are similar in nature, but listed separately, e.g.: clinical volunteer at two different clinics, this should be listed as "only once" for each?
c) For activities that I have participated for multiple semesters, but not necessarily continuing semesters, e.g., Fall 2004, Spring 2005, Spring 2006, this should be listed as "intermittent"?

Hmm, I think that it's still a little unclear, even though I tried to make it as clear as possible. In any case, anything that can help explain how to choose the classification will be helpful, I think.

Thanks!

I called Georgetown and they said they are aware of the technical problems. In addition to it not saving your MCAT date, it also doesn't save any alumni relatives you enter once you navigate away from the page. They said it should be fixed by tomorrow or Thursday and not to submit until it is fixed.

so you guys think a basic cut and paste would do here? are you guys writing this as essay format or bullet points to describe the activities?

thanks!

I'm not going to do an essay, but I think I'll use a shortened version of my AMCAS ECs. Does anyone remember if there is a char. limit?

I called Georgetown and they said they are aware of the technical problems. In addition to it not saving your MCAT date, it also doesn't save any alumni relatives you enter once you navigate away from the page. They said it should be fixed by tomorrow or Thursday and not to submit until it is fixed.

Thanks for the info, faeanna. I was getting annoyed with all those issues.

Writing the long essays for Pritzker is somewhat annoying. It is tricky to avoid repeating things mentioned in the personal statement.

Did anyone else call to ask if biochem counts as an upper level biology course? I did, and the lady said yes, I even asked if its fine that it is listed under "chem" and she said yes. However, someone else said they said is was not okay. Help!? :confused:

Writing the long essays for Pritzker is somewhat annoying. It is tricky to avoid repeating things mentioned in the personal statement.

i'm also having trouble with this. in fact, i realized that there's really no way that i can't repeat certain things, so i'm just trying to reword them as to not blatantly copy/paste.

oh and also, who thinks georgetown should get over themselves? 1 single spaced page about how badly i want to go there? are you kidding? truth be told it's one of my backups, so i'm not particularly gung ho about it. this should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.