*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So another application cycle has come and gone and a new cycle is quickly approaching. This is the new "Official PharmCAS Questions Thread", where you can post all questions, suggestions and advices that are related to the PharmCAS application cycle. We have received many outstanding advice and suggestions from previous cycles and we want to carry on that tradition into the upcoming cycle. :) Here are some important things to keep in mind this cycle:

1) Here is a link to the PharmCAS website:
http://www.pharmcas.org/index.htm

2) PharmCAS has its own dynamic FAQs page. Here is a link:
http://www.pharmcas.org/advisors/faqs.htm

3) Once the new cycle is open, you can find a wealth of information regarding admission requirements, eligibility criteria and deadlines for all the schools within the PharmCAS system here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolpages.htm

4) If you absolutely need to get in contact with a representative from PharmCAS during the application cycle (be aware that it might be somewhat difficult to do so during peak times in the app cycle), you may do so here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/contact.htm

5) Here is a link to the previous PharmCAS discussions thread for the 2010-2011 cycle:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=730839
Feel free to browse through it, since the majority of your questions would more than likely have already been asked and answered.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll start this off.

I am currently taking Microbiology this summer, and will take Orgo in fall/spring the only pre-reqs I have left.
Should I apply when pharmcas opens in June and put them as planned or wait until August and then have my transcripts sent in with the completed course on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I’ll start this off.

I am currently taking Microbiology this summer, and will take Orgo in fall/spring the only pre-reqs I have left.
Should I apply when pharmcas opens in June and put them as planned or wait until August and then have my transcripts sent in with the completed course on it.

Apply in June and put them as planned. Some schools use rolling admissions, so you want to get your application to them ASAP.

for the transcripts, I just take the transcript request form and tell the registrar to send with the transcript? do schools ever forget and just send the transcript alone ? I've had so many problems with my school's office ppl so i dun trust them :/

for the transcripts, I just take the transcript request form and tell the registrar to send with the transcript? do schools ever forget and just send the transcript alone ? I've had so many problems with my school's office ppl so i dun trust them :/

Yes, at my school they paper clipped them together, with my $5 in front of me. They do this often, so they shouldn't forget.

Apply in June and put them as planned. Some schools use rolling admissions, so you want to get your application to them ASAP.

Please can you explain what you mean by rolling admission, Is this as first come first serve

Please can you explain what you mean by rolling admission, Is this as first come first serve

Yes. They will accept people they like after the interviews. The earlier you interview the more seats they have available, which gives you a better chance of being interviewed/accepted. Towards the end of the cycle they don't have many seats open, so they are more selective of who they interview/accept.

Yes. They will accept people they like after the interviews. The earlier you interview the more seats they have available, which gives you a better chance of being interviewed/accepted. Towards the end of the cycle they don't have many seats open, so they are more selective of who they interview/accept.

Thanks for the information, I will make sure I put in my application as soon as enrolment is open.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering what if when I e-submit on PharmCAS, but they haven't received my transcript yet? In that case, what would happen? would the submit date date be the date I e-submit? or the date that they finally receive my transcript? And how would they calculate my GPA without my transcript?

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what if when I e-submit on PharmCAS, but they haven't received my transcript yet? In that case, what would happen?

Nothing. Literally.

would the submit date date be the date I e-submit? or the date that they finally receive my transcript?

I think technically it would be when everything is received by PharmCAS since all materials must be received by the school-specific deadline. This date doesn't really matter as long as it's by the deadline. For rolling admissions, schools can only evaluate it when it's received (typically everything including LORs) and PharmCAS doesn't send anything out until transcripts can be verified.

And how would they calculate my GPA without my transcript?

Obviously they don't.

Thanks for the quick reply Project2015! But as long as I register for an account on June 3 when it opens, I can just start sending transcripts to them without having to e-submit the PharmCAS application right? They will put it all under my file as long as I have an account?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply Project2015! But as long as I register for an account on June 3 when it opens, I can just start sending transcripts to them without having to e-submit the PharmCAS application right? They will put it all under my file as long as I have an account?

Yup. Get those transcripts and LORs in asap so that once you're ready to eSubmit, everything is good to go! That will get your app to schools the quickest way possible.

I am not sure if this question was posted elsewhere, but do we have to take PCAT before we complete our Pharmcas and submit it?

1. For eLORs, our writers don't need to put a professional letterhead right? Just a simple word document to upload?
2. As long as I register for an account and input writer info, pharmcas will email my writers the recommendation request?

(sorry if this is a stupid question lol :oops: )

I am applying to schools with rolling admissions. On the PharmCAS website from last cycle it says that on Aug 2, (2010), "PharmCAS begins to ship applications to schools on or before date." What does this mean? Will they send all applications from June and July together starting in August? Or is this just the time it takes to process the applications, so ones submitted in early June will be sent approx. early Aug, and ones submitted in July later, etc.? What I mean is, does it make a difference whether I apply the first week of June vs. the last week in July (for rolling admissions schools)?:confused:

I want to start working on my application since PharmCAS's website says they launch their 2011-2012 application today, but when I click the link "**PharmCAS APPLICATION LOGIN** " this is the message I get--

****Important Notice to PharmCAS Applicants:****

The 2010-2011 PharmCAS Application cycle closed on April 1, 2011. PharmCAS will no longer accept letters of reference, transcripts, or test scores. You will have until April 15, 2011 to login to your application and print a copy for your records. After that, you will no longer have access to your 2010-2011 application.

Applicants who have not yet submitted their application by April 1 and want to reapply will be required to create a new application for the 2011-2012 application cycle. All other applicants who have submitted and paid for their applications for the 2010-2011 cycle will have the opportunity to update their application and reapply in the 2011-2012 application cycle. If you have submitted your application but are missing the required payment, you will have the option to create a new application for the 2011-2012 application cycle, but will not be allowed to update your 2010-2011 application. Updated 2010-2011 applications and new 2011-2012 applications will be assessed the same application fees which will be announced in early June 2011.

Where do I go from here? I can't find any other links or places that will let me create an account??

I dont think it opens until the 3rd.

Thanks for the advice, I used a different computer and found the link I was looking for. I don't know why it wouldn't give me access to the other one before.

Thanks again!

I got onto PharmCas and was able to start entering information. If you click inside the PharmCas application box, it will have the application for 2012 enrollment.

I attended several classes at local community colleges. It's one school district, but with four several colleges. When I enter that into the PharmCAS, it has a transcript request form for each of the colleges I attended, but the entire district issues one transcript. What should I do in this case? Should I give all four transcript request form to the cashier when requesting transcript?

letsskate, interesting situation. You should ask PharmCAS...

It didnt work earlier for me but it seems to be up and running now.

My college does course hours differently than most schools. A regular class is 1.00 credits, and something like a lab is .25 credits. The max number of credits/semester is 4.50. What should i put for credit hours?

Also, It says to list labs and lectures separately if they appear on transcript separately. Some are listed separately, but were factored into the lecture grade, and I have no grade for the lab itself. What should I do?

Also, It says to list labs and lectures separately if they appear on transcript separately. Some are listed separately, but were factored into the lecture grade, and I have no grade for the lab itself. What should I do?

Sorry - I figured this one out.

So I found answers on how to input AP credit- but I'm not sure which "session" to list these credits under... thoughts?

I have und question. How does the whole "Letter of rec" process work with PharmCAS?
I think the evaluator has to fill out two forms, no?
Are the PharmCAS instructions straightforward? The last thing I want is the evaluator wasting his time figuring out what the heck to do next.

smithek, I'd like to know the answers to your first 2 questions.

As for AP, list them under the first term for the first college that accepted them. They should be listed as shown on the transcript.

I have und question. How does the whole "Letter of rec" process work with PharmCAS?
I think the evaluator has to fill out two forms, no?
Are the PharmCAS instructions straightforward? The last thing I want is the evaluator wasting his time figuring out what the heck to do next.

You input writer contact info and PharmCAS will email them instructions for eLORs. For paper, I think they will have you print out the info to give to the writer.

I would think its one form.

I don't think clarity is an issue except some writers were confused and only submitted the evaluation but not the letter (as reported on SDN). Otherwise, thousands of writers have submitted it just fine.

Thanks for the quick answer. So there indeed are two things to submit, correct? The letter of rec and the evaluation form?

That is my understanding. I know some SDNers have added themselves as a writer just to see what it's like. Perhaps those people can chime in.

I've been waiting over two years to see this thread! I'll be applying this cycle, and hopefully the process isn't too stressful :scared:.

I graduated from my primary school in 2005 and then started again in May 2009 to complete my pre-req's. Should I enter these separately into my education since there was a long enough gap that I had to reapply for admission?

I don't know where to ask this question so I'll do it here if that's A-OK.

One of my evaluators sent me a letter of rec he wrote for another student and told me to edit it and add some bullet points on what I think is important. He will incorporate the bullet points into the letter and submit it to pharmcas.
My question is if this has happened to any of you?
Also, any recommendations on what kind of things look positive on the letter?

Thanks in advance

Do you have to list AP credit from high school on PharmCAS? I didn't even take the AP test, but my high school had a program with U of Pittsburgh, and I ended up going there, so the C i got in calc when i was in 11th grade transferred to my Pitt transcript. I am currently taking calc now, and probably going to get an A, so I don't even want to list that C. Do you think that's OK?

Do you have to list AP credit from high school on PharmCAS? I didn't even take the AP test, but my high school had a program with U of Pittsburgh, and I ended up going there, so the C i got in calc when i was in 11th grade transferred to my Pitt transcript. I am currently taking calc now, and probably going to get an A, so I don't even want to list that C. Do you think that's OK?

No, it is not ok. If it is on your college transcript, then it needs to be reported. Otherwise, PharmCAS will add it themselves and flag it as such, which could imply something. What you can do is to note it as a course taken during high school.

I'm having trouble classifying two of my classes into what their "Course subject" would be. I know they are listed under "Biological Sciences" on my school website. Does this mean on PharmCAS they should be classified as "Biology & Other Life Sciences" or "Other Science"?

I looked at the list in the PharmCAS instructions already and the two classes aren't under there. Also, they aren't the traditional obvious science classes like Organic, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, etc. so this is why I am unsure.

I'm having trouble classifying two of my classes into what their "Course subject" would be. I know they are listed under "Biological Sciences" on my school website. Does this mean on PharmCAS they should be classified as "Biology & Other Life Sciences" or "Other Science"?

I looked at the list in the PharmCAS instructions already and the two classes aren't under there. Also, they aren't the traditional obvious science classes like Organic, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, etc. so this is why I am unsure.

From what you said, it looks like it. It would help if you provided a course title, or better yet the entire course description from the catalog.

Regarding letters of reference that are going to be submitted online, does it require an actual signature from the referrer, or is a typed name sufficient? Please let me know, thanks!

Hello, I have trouble finding the request transcript form the pharmcas request. Can anyone point out?

Once I have the form, fill out and bring it to the registrar office and order 1 copy to pharmcas, that s all, right?

Question.

Semester Unit is the same as a Credit Hour , yes?
How do I convert Quarter Units to Credit Hours ???
I'm SOOOOOOO lost

@stagius24: Go to Academic History > Colleges Attended > Click the link under Transcript Request Form

Hello, I have trouble finding the request transcript form the pharmcas request. Can anyone point out?

Once I have the form, fill out and bring it to the registrar office and order 1 copy to pharmcas, that s all, right?

If I remember correctly, go to the section where you list your colleges. To the left of each college should be a round orange button. Click on it and it'll open a PDF document of the transcript request form.

Fill it out.

Check your registrar for specific directions. Some may consider it a "special handling" case and will require different procedures compared to just specifying a receiving address. But yes, request a transcript for PharmCAS and have the registrar include that form along with it.

Question.

Semester Unit is the same as a Credit Hour , yes?
How do I convert Quarter Units to Credit Hours ???
I'm SOOOOOOO lost

@stagius24: Go to Academic History > Colleges Attended > Click the link under Transcript Request Form

Credit hour just means hours of class per week, generally. There is no differentiation between semester and quarter. To answer your specific question, there is no need to convert. You already specified to PharmCAS what type of term it is (semester, quarter, or trimester).

Credit hour just means hours of class per week, generally. There is no differentiation between semester and quarter. To answer your specific question, there is no need to convert. You already specified to PharmCAS what type of term it is (semester, quarter, or trimester).

Much appreciated sir, you are a gentleman and scholar. (or a gentlelady)

Where do you guys put down your research positions? does it go under the work experience part?:confused:

I've searched the forum, but I found mixed answers... For a course we repeated do we put "Repeated" on BOTH the first AND second attempt or JUST the second attempt?

My college does course hours differently than most schools. A regular class is 1.00 credits, and something like a lab is .25 credits. The max number of credits/semester is 4.50. What should i put for credit hours?

What about this situation? Do /I/ need to convert?

Where do you guys put down your research positions? does it go under the work experience part?:confused:

It depends. If you were paid to research, then it can go under work experience. If you weren't paid, I would put it under extra-curricular activities. Hope this helps!