** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched!!! :laugh:
stupid email server!! I didn't get the email until 1:30 pm.

Members don't see this ad.

Tomorrow?
Did you match? Been wondering about you!

Just still stunned and humiliated because, I did not match. But hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere that wants me tomorrow or Wenesday...

I'm staying up and will go to the principal's office (aka Dean Sunshine) this afternoon to figure out what I need to do tomorrow.

Just still stunned and humiliated because, I did not match. But hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere that wants me tomorrow or Wenesday...

I'm staying up and will go to the principal's office (aka Dean Sunshine) this afternoon to figure out what I need to do tomorrow.

sorry to hear Rach :(. I hope you find a good spot tomorrow!!!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Yeah, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant, and I'd edited my initial post... but, I'll repeat it again, keep your chin up, it'll work out and best of luck tomorrow! Just be quick, efficient, and smart! Prayers be your way! :xf:

you know there are some of us....... that are just not that good... were not the top in our class, were not the top in our board scores, and I guess were not that good at interviewing either..... Medicine is like natural selection, some people get eliminated due to their inability when comes to their knowledge, empathy, and stupid board scores....... applied to relistic programs..... it goes to show you that I am just not good enough I guess.........I will probably fit in that 1-2% of people that do not fill a spot:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!

Not an active user here but a lurker. Congrats to everyone who matched!

I didn't match but will give it my best tomorrow.

add me to the "got the bad email" club. Anyone else who's scrambling want to skip their school's match ceremonies, and meet up for a drink or ten thursday? We can meet somewhere in the center of the country. I'm up for a road trip.

congrats to those who matched, and good luck tomorrow for those who didn't. I'm hoping I make it to thursday's ceremony- 38 wks pregnant and imminently awaiting baby. It would not be as fun to get the email in the hospital.

congrats to those who matched, and good luck tomorrow for those who didn't. I'm hoping I make it to thursday's ceremony- 38 wks pregnant and imminently awaiting baby. It would not be as fun to get the email in the hospital.
Hope you won't be too shocked on Thursday and go straight into labor. I will find out via email since I am an IMG doing residency in my home country (Germany). No big ceremony.Today was the big day for me. I am just thrilled I matched (pediatrics) with only 4 interviews. I barely don't care anymore where I am going to end up now. I liked all the places though. I am just glad it finally paid off doing my German exams at the same time as Step 1-Step3 all in one year. I am mostly happy because no more ultra-long-distance-relationship with my American boyfriend!!! Good luck with Thursday and the baby!

you know there are some of us....... that are just not that good... were not the top in our class, were not the top in our board scores, and I guess were not that good at interviewing either..... Medicine is like natural selection, some people get eliminated due to their inability when comes to their knowledge, empathy, and stupid board scores....... applied to relistic programs..... it goes to show you that I am just not good enough I guess.........I will probably fit in that 1-2% of people that do not fill a spot:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!

Don't put yourself down so much. This is a HARD road, and if you've made it this far, you're already at the top 1-2% of the nation! That says something! Good luck with the scramble and I hope you and everyone else who unfortunately didn't match will still get in either tomorrow or Wednesday! Best of luck!!!:luck:

Congrats to all of you who matched today, and best of luck to those who will trying to scramble tomorrow - my thoughts are with you guys!

Matched :)

Good luck to everybody who needs it tomorrow...

MATCHED BOTH TRANSITIONAL YEAR AND PM&R, I'm an IMG so this is a HUGE deal for me! Thank GOD!!!!:love:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE SCRAMBLE, my thoughts and PRAYERS are with you guys:luck:

XOXO

Sorry to hear that - really sucks. Anyone not in that situation prob can't imagine what you're going through. Look at this article though http://www.mommd.com/notendof.shtml

You'll get through this! Sounds cliche, but it's true. Bad times come to an end eventually.

How can you any good come out of this..... most of all the spots will be taken.......I just want to toss in the towel right now and accept the fact that I am just one of those students that fits into 1-2% that do not match! THis is how it has always been!

How can you any good come out of this..... most of all the spots will be taken.......I just want to toss in the towel right now and accept the fact that I am just one of those students that fits into 1-2% that do not match! THis is how it has always been!

From one underdog to the next, I know it's tough. I've been there. I'm in shock that for the 1st time in my life, things went well for me. However, it's not always been this way for me. Things will improve for you. Seeing as how you're a DO, you do have DO TRI's to choose from and try again. I would pursue that option rather than scrambling into poor quality allopathic IM programs out in the sticks.
Try to do your TRI at a place with MD IM programs that have fellowships. If you want tips on the programs, PM me.

god, while I understand the reasoning for not telling us which programs are available yet, it's really frustrating to not know where I'll be going. I'd love to be able to do more than 20 min of research before applying somewhere.

My heart goes out to those of you who didn't match. :( I've posted a lot on this board about how I didn't match originally. I remember how absolutely crappy it felt, and how my confidence in myself took a hit.
Remember that there is a big element of subjectivity and luck to this process. This is not about you being good or bad. Sometimes it may have come down to something as random and uncontrollable as if your interviewer had a good day or a bad day before they talked to you.
Sometimes people who have every reason to expect to match don't and sometimes people who you wouldn't expect to match do.
I ended up having to do a DO TRI then reapplying the next year to start all over again as an intern. It was not the way I would have originally chosen to do things of course, but there were silver linings along the way. I ended up working with some great people, learned a lot, and had some other good experiences personally that wouldn't have happened if I had ended up somewhere else. It also helped confirm for me how badly I really wanted to do the specialty I was going for.
Good luck tomorrow!

congrats everyone!!!!!!:D

and if you didn't match fingers crossed u will find a spot in the next few days!!!!!!:luck:

i will not have access to the list of unmatched programs tomorrow, not having registered through nrmp (as i was going straight into the scramble)...if anyone will have access to the list tomorrow when it was released, i would appreciate it so so much if you could send it to me as an act of compassion....

i will not have access to the list of unmatched programs tomorrow, not having registered through nrmp (as i was going straight into the scramble)...if anyone will have access to the list tomorrow when it was released, i would appreciate it so so much if you could send it to me as an act of compassion....

you cant just go straight into scramble. you had to registered for the match. plus, it's an apparent violation to distribute said list until nrmp does so.

you cant just go straight into scramble. you had to registered for the match. plus, it's an apparent violation to distribute said list until nrmp does so.
that's not true, you only have to have submitted one application through eras in order to participate in the scramble....i'm eligible to participate in the scramble (as i submitted an application), and will....

also, as far as i understand, the student affairs offices aren't allowed to share the info, i don't know if that is true for participants

that's not true, you only have to have submitted one application through eras in order to participate in the scramble....i'm eligible to participate in the scramble (as i submitted an application), and will....

also, as far as i understand, the student affairs offices aren't allowed to share the info, i don't know if that is true for participants

im so confused... aPD or someone else can take this one.

I think you're mistaken. I don't have time right now to look thru the NRMP guidelines, but my school has told us muliple times that you absolutely cannot scramble unless you are NRMP registered. You have to have applied to one program through NRMP, *not* just ERAS and have not matched to be eligible to view the list. How else can you access the list unless you do it through NRMP anyway?

Per the AAMC:
To Scramble, you must meet the following
requirements:
• Registered with the NRMP by Feb 23, 2011;
• Applied to at least one program through ERAS by
March 11, 2011.
• Satisfied all outstanding balances in ERAS by
March 11, 2011.

I think you're mistaken. I don't have time right now to look thru the NRMP guidelines, but my school has told us muliple times that you absolutely cannot scramble unless you are NRMP registered. You have to have applied to one program through NRMP, *not* just ERAS and have not matched to be eligible to view the list. How else can you access the list unless you do it through NRMP anyway?

I think you technically need both (I may be wrong as this is by word of mouth). The reason I say this is that from what I heard, in order to send an application through eras during the scramble you would have needed to use it at least once. In order to obtain the scramble list from NRMP, you need to have registered for the match (i.e. pay the $50). I think some IMGs do this, where they forgo the match and just scramble as it is more cost effective. I also think that some IMGs skip registering for the NRMP and obtain the list from a friend or colleague.

unfortunately, my school didn't tell me that....i consulted with eras, and the fact is that in order to scramble, you have to have submitted one application through eras....they confirmed for me today that i am able to scramble still. the issue is that i won't have access to the list of unmatched programs.

huh...i see that, on page 4 of the pdf....that's strange, because i spoke with AAMC before, and i was told that all i had to do was to submit an application, and i spoke with someone today and that was confirmed.

unfortunately, my school didn't tell me that....i consulted with eras, and the fact is that in order to scramble, you have to have submitted one application through eras....they confirmed for me today that i am able to scramble still. the issue is that i won't have access to the list of unmatched programs.
This is correct. Unfortunately, it is a match violation for anyone to give you the list. Not to mention that those with access to the list are likely to be too busy trying to scramble then post it. And, if someone does share the list and the NRMP notices, then they could lose any spot they have found. So, all in all, you're in a tough spot. Best option is to review last year's match data and look for programs with large numbers of unfilled spots -- hopefully they will have unfilled spots this year and you can contact them.

Ah, gotcha. I guess what my school was saying is that you can't see the list of unfilled programs unless you had registered for the NRMP. Technically you can still scramble by submitting your stuff through ERAS again but you can't see the list of programs.

I have bolded and italicized the caveat for people who did register who were planning on 'helping out' someone who didn't. From the ECFMG website (since it popped up first on Google):

"If you wish to participate in the Scramble only, you must obtain an ERAS Token; register at MyERAS; register with NRMP; and apply to at least one program. We strongly urge you to apply to a program at least two weeks prior to the Scramble.

The Scramble starts on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States, when the list of programs with unfilled positions is posted on the NRMP website, and ends on Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States. Once the list has been posted, you may apply to any program with an unfilled position. You will not have access to the list of unfilled programs if you did not register with the Match; refer to the NRMP website for its policies. The Match Agreement prohibits applicants from sharing NRMP’s List of Unfilled Programs with individuals who did not register with the Match."

Ah, gotcha. I guess what my school was saying is that you can't see the list of unfilled programs unless you had registered for the NRMP. Technically you can still scramble by submitting your stuff through ERAS again but you can't see the list of programs.

I have bolded and italicized the caveat for people who did register who were planning on 'helping out' someone who didn't. From the ECFMG website (since it popped up first on Google):

"If you wish to participate in the Scramble only, you must obtain an ERAS Token; register at MyERAS; register with NRMP; and apply to at least one program. We strongly urge you to apply to a program at least two weeks prior to the Scramble.

The Scramble starts on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States, when the list of programs with unfilled positions is posted on the NRMP website, and ends on Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States. Once the list has been posted, you may apply to any program with an unfilled position. You will not have access to the list of unfilled programs if you did not register with the Match; refer to the NRMP website for its policies. The Match Agreement prohibits applicants from sharing NRMP’s List of Unfilled Programs with individuals who did not register with the Match."

yeah, if you look at pages 37-39 regarding the scramble, it does not specify having registered with nrmp as a requirement.

https://www.aamc.org/download/139506/data/myeras_user_guide_residency.pdf

in fact, it says, regarding the scramble: "If you decide to register with the NRMP to participate in the Match..." (Bold is mine for emphasis.) Saying "if" does not seem to commensurate with it being an absolute requirement to participate in the scramble.

yeah, if you look at pages 37-39 regarding the scramble, it does not specify having registered with nrmp as a requirement.

https://www.aamc.org/download/139506/data/myeras_user_guide_residency.pdf

in fact, it says, regarding the scramble: "If you decide to register with the NRMP to participate in the Match..." (Bold is mine for emphasis.) Saying "if" does not seem to commensurate with it being an absolute requirement to participate in the scramble.

I'm sorry, but I think you are misreading this. Page 37 applies to the scramble; page 38-39 are general tips for ERAS applicants in general. And, about "if you decide to register with the NRMP:" the "if" is regarding non-NRMP matches, such as urology, AOA, etc.

The only way to "legally" scramble is having applied to the NRMP. Now, given that your school has told you that it's OK to scramble without registering for the NRMP... perhaps your dean's office can get you a list (hopefully legally).

Good luck for everyone who has to scramble :luck:. Sometimes life just doesn't make sense, but hang in there, it can only get better.

Last edited:
http://www.nrmp.org/soap.pdf

This article states:

• Applicants and programs will be required to send and receive applications only through ERAS.
• NRMP-participating programs that fill positions during Match Week must do so only through the SOAP.
• Only applicants who are certified by the NRMP to participate in SOAP will be able to apply to NRMP
unfilled programs using ERAS.
• Applicants who used ERAS during the regular season but did not participate in the NRMP may use ERAS during the SOAP period; however, they will have access only to programs that are not listed on the NRMP List of Unfilled Programs.

Eligible NRMP applicants:
• Must be able to enter GME on July 1 in the year of the Match
• Will be able to apply only to unfilled Match-participating programs during Match Week
�� Access to the List of Unfilled Programs will be restricted by match status (preliminary or
advanced)
�� Must use ERAS and will be able to select only unfilled Match-participating programs
�� Cannot use phone, fax, email, or other methods
�� Cannot have another individual/entity contact programs on applicant's behalf
�� Will be able to accept positions only through SOAP during Match Week
• Can apply to non-Match-participating programs after Match Week
Ineligible NRMP applicants:
• Cannot participate in SOAP
�� Cannot apply to Match-participating programs using ERAS, phone, fax, email, or other methods
�� Cannot have another individual/entity contact Match-participating programs on applicant's behalf
• Can apply to non-Match-participating programs during Match Week
�� Can use ERAS to select non-Match-participating programs
�� Can use phone, fax, email, or other methods
• Can apply to Match-participating programs after Match Week
Unfilled Programs:
• Must accept applications only through ERAS during Match Week
�� Cannot use phone, fax, email, or personal contacts
• Must fill positions using SOAP during Match Week
�� Cannot offer positions to ineligible applicants during Match Week
�� Cannot make offers outside SOAP during Match Week
�� Are not required to fill positions during Match Week
• Can add applicants to bottom of preference list

move me over into the matched catagory!

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers, and best of luck with the last two endless days!:luck:

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers, and best of luck with the last two endless days!:luck:

Congratulations!!!! My heart goes out to you and everyone who had/has to scramble AND put up with the ERAS/NRMP website nightmare that's going on today.

congrats, so you successfully scrambled?

thats awesome for you. i hope my friends have the same luck

I must say this thread has been an amazing source of support. Good luck to everyone still looking, and congratulations to all, especially Rach, who started this whole thing.

stll did not match today I am beginning to wonder why I did not match probably because I am not African American, I am not muslism, or gay.... Life truly sucks....... I am giving up on this medicine..... maybe I'll go jump off a building :mad: