** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Connect_Four.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

good luck everyone:luck:

Just to demonstrate what a nerd I am, it's always bothered me that the girl in the pic loses by making such a dumb play.

But, I am reassured by the fact that had she played correctly, she would have lost in 2 moves anyway.

So perhaps this was her "Hail Mary" move, hoping her opponent would be foolish and block her stack, rather than win the game?

Last edited:

Just to demonstrate what a nerd I am, it's always bothered me that the girl in the pic loses by making such a dumb play.

But, I am reassured by the fact that had she played correctly, she would have lost in 2 moves anyway.

So perhaps this was her "Hail Mary" move, hoping her opponent would be foolish and block her stack, rather than win the game?

Cut her some slack. She's just a kid. Personally, I preferred this game growing up:

Connect-One.jpg

Looking back, it's cool to see this thread has grown to a nice, healthy size. Well done, Rach.

The fact that this is indeed Match Week finally hit home for me today. Just when you think you have things all figured out, you realize that there's an unpredictable element to all of this. Until I have the letter out of the envelope on Thursday, my mind is going to be wandering. The only sure thing right now is that there is no sure thing. Looks like the one thing I can count on this week, if I wake up tomorrow morning, is that I will have a bowel movement. The rest is hazy.

Cut her some slack. She's just a kid. Personally, I preferred this game growing up:

Connect-One.jpg

Hahaha, thank you, Deferoxamine and aPD. The loud of burse of laughter at both of your posts was much needed as I sit here excreting bricks and munching on ppi's and tums. I hope everyone gets through this week without ending up in a ditch, rocking back and forth in fetal position...and by everyone, I mean me.

Anyone anticipate trouble sleeping tonight? I feel like all the clocks have slowed, and the ticking has gotten louder :scared:

Anyone anticipate trouble sleeping tonight? I feel like all the clocks have slowed, and the ticking has gotten louder :scared:

I feel you. Can't wait for this to be over! And in the East... 3 days to go!

ThreesCompany_S5.jpg

man, i can't sleep (eastern time btw). :( anyone else?

man, i can't sleep (eastern time btw). :( anyone else?

Woke up at 2AM and tossed and turned, finally got up and put on some coffee. Pouring rain outside like a Bangladesh monsoon. Kept having this dream that the Prime Minister of Japan was having a stroke during a televised conference. Weird.:confused:

Woke up at 2AM and tossed and turned, finally got up and put on some coffee. Pouring rain outside like a Bangladesh monsoon. Kept having this dream that the Prime Minister of Japan was having a stroke during a televised conference. Weird.:confused:

woke up with a throbbing headache at about 3am. Ran the shower, took sudafed, and now I'm all hyped up on goofballs. At least the headaches better.

3-stooges.jpg

Happy (hopefully) "Did I match?" day! Good luck to everyone today - hope you all receive good news! :luck:

AND it's Einstein's birthday! Just an awesome day all around...

Attachments

• albert_einstein_mechanics_1-1.jpg
    albert_einstein_mechanics_1-1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 54
I think I woke up approximately 37 times last night. And now I am literally trembling. I have to go to work, and the patients are going to think I'm on something. I looked tweaked.

T minus 3 hours (180 minutes, 10,800 secs) until NRMP crashes.:laugh:

Good luck everyone! Also, if you want to match to your number 1 spot, you can log in and out of NRMP 1000 times between now and noon ET. It will glitch the server to change your match from any position to your number 1 position. The caveat is that if you already matched at your number 1, you will automatically become unmatched and will have to scramble.:xf:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that on the cover. No matter what the girl's move was before the boy won, she could have won the game herself. She had the stack of three and a diagonal of three, and could have finished it off one way or another. Back in the day when I was a fierce Connect Four player, such a mistake would be unforgivable.

Oh, and...
The_Three_Caballeros.jpg

Done. Though that song is incredibly annoying. I prefer this one:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Hj7bp38f8[/YOUTUBE]

This is the perfect song for Match! :p :D :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone! :luck::luck::luck:

even though i think not matching for me is an extremely unlikely possibility. i still woke up with my stomach in knots this morning. i was a little bit compulsive on feb 23 continually logging into the system making sure it still said "certified ROL" as if some magic evil fairy could have erased that any moment that i wasn't looking at it.

is it noon yet? good luck everyone!

Just got this email from school: "Due to network connectivity issues, we are experiencing slow performance of our Exchange (e-mail) system. At noon today, there will be a brief outage of the e-mail system. No e-mail will be lost, only delayed." Nice of them to shut off email right at noon - good timing on their part. Luckily, I'm somewhere where I can log into the NRMP site directly, but classmates who are dependent on getting the news from checking email on their smartphones are not going to be very happy.

images%3Fq%3D60%2Bminutes%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1346%26bih%3D682%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=311&oei=4St-TeXxOOmI0QGlgaGEBA&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=136&ty=93

This is going to be a slow hour....

OMG...I just about had a heart attack...my phone rang and it was an unknown number...I was sure it was the med school calling to tell me I had to scramble...ended up being a recording that me and my family won a home security system...sheesh...

Our Dean sends out emails to people who don't match. I woke up this morning and checked my email and what did I see? An email from him titled "Match."

I shat myself and opened it.

What was it? A response to an email I sent him 3 weeks ago about our school's policy on alcohol being open bar at match day. And the answer? No alcohol due to a recent change in policy (a few students have gotten DUIs, apparently, ruining it for the rest of us who are winning).

Can you believe that happy horsesht?

OMG...I just about had a heart attack...my phone rang and it was an unknown number...I was sure it was the med school calling to tell me I had to scramble...ended up being a recording that me and my family won a home security system...sheesh...

Same thing here - except for me it was a random Honda dealership calling the wrong person. It was actually from the area code of my #1 choice, so it got me a bit excited for a second, even though I know that the programs haven't yet found out who has matched there.

Guys check your emails! Apparently the NRMP servers somehow got tripped up, and a few friends have received their email notification! It's not on the NRMP website, though.

Hope you guys get great news!

PS - I'm sorry...I just had to!

Guys check your emails! Apparently the NRMP servers somehow got tripped up, and a few friends have received their email notification! It's not on the NRMP website, though.

Holy #$%!! no notification here...

Are you joking? I can't tell.

last year a bunch of my friends started getting their emails from 11:40 am and onwards.

it doesnt hurt to check early.

Does this mean everyone who matched have already received emails? :scared:

Does this mean everyone who matched have already received emails? :scared:

I wouldn't worry yet. I haven't received an email or any kind of phone call, etc from the dean's office and don't know anyone who has heard one way or the other yet. I'm also not sure about the truth in this person's statement. Either way calm yourself, I bet everyone will receive emails at slightly different times too because of different email servers.

What shows up first, email or NRMP website? Time to start hitting the refresh button once every 10 seconds!!