Official 2012-2013 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygolucky1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
lets get this party started?

Members don't see this ad.

Any past applicants care to share which days of the week each program tend to interview their applicants? I know in the past SDN helped me a great deal when people posted which days of the week specific IM programs interview, as I was able to plan ahead and lump interviews in each city together. It will be significantly more difficult for heme/onc (given there will be less interview dates), but knowing ahead will help me plan nonetheless. For example, if I know program A in city 1 only interviews on Fridays, program B in city 1 interviews on Thursdays and Fridays and I receive an interview offer from program B first, I will probably pick a Thursday date instead of a Friday one.

Specifically looking for big city programs in LA, Chicago, New York, Philly etc.

Could you all share pros/cons of programs that were memorable to you? That would be helpful as we are just beginning our application cycle Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will definitely be following this thread, good luck everyone

I think all bets are off with interview schedules given the new calendar this year--it will be interesting to see what the season looks like!

Confusing.

Do programs download applications on July 1st?

Also do all lor writers have to upload with PDF directly to eras?

Can anyone please review my credential and give me an honest opinion:
USMLE steps 1&2 >90 Step 3 80
Chief resident
Resident of the year for PG2 and PG3
2 posters at APC which won prizes
No research so far
WOrking as a hospitalist now
Got teacher of the year award
Good LORs

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Chief resident
No research so far
Good LORs

AMG/FMG (I'm assuming the latter)?
Real Step scores? (Nobody cares about the 2 digit... >90 is anywhere from 215-270 these days.)
Quality of residency program and LORs?

Those things are more important than pretty much anything you posted.

I second what gutonc said--the awards and chief residency suggested you did well, but where you did your residency means a lot. Being at the top of the pile is probably a bigger deal at a large academic program than a small community program.
I think the usmle scores are probably less relevant unless they are extremely bad.
Assuming the rest you said is true, I suspect you'll have strong letters, but again, who they are and what specifically they say is important.

Good luck

Chief resident
No research so far
Good LORs

My application is similar to yours (CMR, residency and teaching awards etc), but no award winning posters. Mine is more of a clinician educator type resume than a researcher- makes me very nervous when applying to research heavy University programs, but really want to be a heme-onc guy and willing to give it a shot. I have many friends who are practicing heme-onc and they all tell me the same thing: the foremost thing about a successful application is the quality of the LOR's. Some feel that being a hospitalist is a good thing, some don't- lot of heterogeneity- it boils down to why we didn't apply for fellowship at the end of residency (or how we spin the rationale). With your profile and strong letters I think your'e set based on what I've heard from friends- I hope that's enough for your sake and mine! Good luck.

So anyone have any advice on how many programs to apply to? For me, geography is the #1 priority. I want to stay in NYC/NJ (possibly PA). I'm an american grad with a phd. lots of research experience. good exam scores.
I also want to ask about programs that are more geared towards solids...

So anyone have any advice on how many programs to apply to? For me, geography is the #1 priority. I want to stay in NYC/NJ (possibly PA). I'm an american grad with a phd. lots of research experience. good exam scores.
I also want to ask about programs that are more geared towards solids...

The numbers game is a tough one. But you can apply to 20 programs for <$200 so why not? You can apply to all of the academic programs in NYC, NJ and Philly (and Pitt...just for completeness) and add on most of the decent community programs and still be under 20. With your stats you probably won't need that many (I had a very similar CV, applied to 10, got 9 interviews (F*** You again Stanford) and went on 8 interviews. Matched my #1.

The only two places I can think of in your geographic region that have a major stiffy for heme and heme mal are NYU and Cornell. Not saying you shouldn't apply there, just an FYI. The rest of the places are pretty well balanced or solid focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
The numbers game is a tough one. But you can apply to 20 programs for <$200 so why not? You can apply to all of the academic programs in NYC, NJ and Philly (and Pitt...just for completeness) and add on most of the decent community programs and still be under 20. With your stats you probably won't need that many (I had a very similar CV, applied to 10, got 9 interviews (F*** You again Stanford) and went on 8 interviews. Matched my #1.

The only two places I can think of in your geographic region that have a major stiffy for heme and heme mal are NYU and Cornell. Not saying you shouldn't apply there, just an FYI. The rest of the places are pretty well balanced or solid focused.

Sounds along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks. and F Stanford.

Any Interviews or rejection so far? I believe programs this year would start working on the applications pretty soon because of shortened time period for the whole process. I will apply over the weekend. waiting for my LORs to get uploaded.

Any Interviews or rejection so far? I believe programs this year would start working on the applications pretty soon because of shortened time period for the whole process. I will apply over the weekend. waiting for my LORs to get uploaded.

FWIW, my (old) program isn't having their first meeting to review apps until late next week.

Got one email said they are going to review apps on August 17th....

Anybody have any inside information about UCSF?

Can you guys settle a debate?

Every program that I looked for required 3 letters of recommendation. One of my coapplicants who is applying broadly told me that there are program that require 4 letters. When I asked her which one she said she doesn't remember because she applied to 30+ programs.

Are there programs that specifically require 4 letters of recommendation?

Are there programs that specified 4 letters?

Yes. I know of MD Anderson and Univ. of Louisville in KY. There may be others but I am sure of these two.
There are many other programs though(over a hundred) that asked for 3 letters. Either way, both you and your friend should be fine.

I am applying to hem onc this year. I applied to 30 programs. I have assigned 4 LoRs to all programs that I applied to. So far 3 LoRs are available and downloaded by most programs. The 4th LoR, the one I really want to be included, is not uploaded yet. The professor said he will do it this week (he was too busy last week). Should I update the programs that the 4th letter is expected to be available either this week or early next week, and ask programs to hold my application until the letter is available? The reference of the 4th letter is well known in his field, and I have rotated with him for 2 months so I feel he knows me better. Thanks a lot. A little bit stressed recently.

Is it just me or is it slow around here? I wonder if wave of interview offers will come in August. I remember in the previous December cycle interviews came in January ie one month after Dec 1st application window opened.

Still ZERO interviews and no mention of programs saying they have received application.
At least no rejections so far :)

What do you guys think?

Will august bring a wave of interviews and/or rejections?

Is it just me or is it slow around here? I wonder if wave of interview offers will come in August. I remember in the previous December cycle interviews came in January ie one month after Dec 1st application window opened.

Still ZERO interviews and no mention of programs saying they have received application.
At least no rejections so far :)

What do you guys think?

Will august bring a wave of interviews and/or rejections?

Probably August. Programs do need time to review our applications.

I am applying to hem onc this year. I applied to 30 programs. I have assigned 4 LoRs to all programs that I applied to. So far 3 LoRs are available and downloaded by most programs. The 4th LoR, the one I really want to be included, is not uploaded yet. The professor said he will do it this week (he was too busy last week). Should I update the programs that the 4th letter is expected to be available either this week or early next week, and ask programs to hold my application until the letter is available? The reference of the 4th letter is well known in his field, and I have rotated with him for 2 months so I feel he knows me better. Thanks a lot. A little bit stressed recently.

I suspect your 4th letter is probably uploaded by now in which case this reply is no longer necessary. But assuming it is still pending, maybe you should do nothing for now and see what happens by end of the week. Telling programs anything now may complicate/confuse matters. We still have till 31st as the deadline for some programs. Rather than talking to programs, spend the time following up on the Prof that will write the 4th letter and make sure it is uploaded before Friday. (If possible, make sure the letter is sent by the LorPortal so that it reflects on ERAS within minutes.)
Goodluck. It will all work out well for us.

congratulations! Let's keep the thread going on....

Very nice. May I ask which program the interview offer was from? We should start a running list of programs that have offered interviews now that interview season is getting revved up.

Just to introduce myself here. I wanna wish you the best luck for this season. Keep heads up.

Thx. My 4th letter has not been uploaded yet. I will email him tomorrow to remind him. My other question is if in case he is too busy to do the letter, would programs think my applications incomplete although I have 3 other letters available?

I suspect your 4th letter is probably uploaded by now in which case this reply is no longer necessary. But assuming it is still pending, maybe you should do nothing for now and see what happens by end of the week. Telling programs anything now may complicate/confuse matters. We still have till 31st as the deadline for some programs. Rather than talking to programs, spend the time following up on the Prof that will write the 4th letter and make sure it is uploaded before Friday. (If possible, make sure the letter is sent by the LorPortal so that it reflects on ERAS within minutes.)
Goodluck. It will all work out well for us.

Thx. The 4th letter has not been uploaded yet. If he is too busy to do the letter, would those programs think my applications not complete even I have 3 other letters available?

Thx. My 4th letter has not been uploaded yet. I will email him tomorrow to remind him. My other question is if in case he is too busy to do the letter, would programs think my applications incomplete although I have 3 other letters available?

I will start getting worried if he has not started drafting the letter by tomorrow. What I know some people did was to ask their prof to write the letter and then have his/her office assistant do the rest of the clerical job- scan, make a pdf file and the rest of them.
That said, it is really difficult to say if programs will consider the application incomplete just because they are lacking a 4th letter which was not required in the first instance.Unsure what I would have done in your shoes. But work seriously on getting that letter drafted tomorrow. The rest of the process will take only few minutes if you can get that done.

I will start getting worried if he has not started drafting the letter by tomorrow. What I know some people did was to ask their prof to write the letter and then have his/her office assistant do the rest of the clerical job- scan, make a pdf file and the rest of them.
That said, it is really difficult to say if programs will consider the application incomplete just because they are lacking a 4th letter which was not required in the first instance.Unsure what I would have done in your shoes. But work seriously on getting that letter drafted tomorrow. The rest of the process will take only few minutes if you can get that done.

Thx. Last week he said he would do it this week. I know he is awfully busy with 3 clinics per week, on- service this and next week, and FDA audit that will last for 3 weeks. He is aware that I have assigned his letter and the applications may be considered incomplete without his letter. he is a super- kind person, but just too busy. When I was rotating with him, I saw his fellows chasing him around for paper revise to meet the deadline. He was even in the middle of conference call when he was doing his clinic. I think the worst scenario is to notify programs that his is caught in other things and could not make the letter, and ask programs just to review my application w 3 letters.

Yeah. He has assistant who will do letter uploading for him.

Thank you. I feel better after just talking to you:)

Last edited:
VCU.

Heard that columbia has sent out IVs as well.

I am IMG, graduated 2000
Has PhD from US
decent scores in all steps
chief resident
has research papers and posters
Residency in a University based community program
4 good lors but not by very femous attending

No IV yet. Any input about my chance for heam onc fellowship?

i got an interview from columbia, but that was my alma mater so i think that's why (doubt they even read my app). i talked to them, and they're sending out on rolling basis...

UTSW
ECU
VCU
Columbia
Penn state
BIDMC

Last edited:
Zero IVs invites here too.

Just out of curiousity. If anyone knows or has an idea of the process, how do programs select 20 or so people out of 400+ applicants?

Do programs really look at all applicants that apply to the program? Seems like it would be very time consuming.

If they dont look at all 400+ applicants, is it luck of the draw if they even look at your application?

There seem to be competing forces here. Programs are very busy so how could they look at all applicants vs being fair to everyone that applies to the program.

Also do middle tier and top programs both invite the academic all stars for interviews? From a logistical perspective wouldnt it be more efficient if top programs invited top applicants and mid tier programs interviewd mid tier applicants.

what do you guys think? Should mid tier programs not interview academic all stars for an interview since they will likely go to a top program?

Hi, does anyone know why Ohio State has 8 first year fellows, 5 second year fellows, and only 3 third year fellows?? Did several fellows quit? Did they expand? And why so quickly? Any info is greatly appreciated.