Official 2012-2013 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody to share my neuroses and insecurity with! Can somebody just hd me until the match? :(

Or I'll just have a bunch of these :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:thumbup:

I'm feeling insanely insecure but I shall not post my stats in favor of not being ridiculed on an anonymous internet forum.

So I'll :xf: waiting for interviews! lol

you will only be ridiculed if you have stats that are top 10 school step1 >240 step 2 >240 AOA honors everything with pubs and are asking "will i get interviews?"

this forum provides plenty of information in this thread and previous threads where such questions do not need to be asked. it simply points to the sheer insecurity of the applicant, the lack of resourcefulness, and all while seemingly being gunnerish at the same time.

this thread should always be started with the disclaimer of (if step 1 is above X and step 2 above Y and other qualifiers, you do not need to post because you WILL match/be competitive some placed in the "top 25")

A tad apprehensive about posting after seeing everyone's great scores, but figure its worth a shot

US born IMG- Caribbean
Step 1: 209
Step 2 CS: Pass 1st try
Step 2 CK: 237
Did all my clinical rotations in NY at same hospital, with a Sub-I at another
LORS: 1 from Medical Director of said hospital, 1 from Chairmen of Med at same, 2 from attendings. All very positive letters.
Pubs: A couple poster presentations at national conferences, masters thesis published, some med school research and clinical research.
MS3- All H's and great comments
Awards: Med school work scholarship, Eagle Scout
Wife is a resident in NY so I applied to all 51 IM programs (Cat and Prelim) and a handful of others up and down east coast (Cat only).

Do I have a shot for any Categorical spots in NY? What do you think chances are I can stay near her?

Members don't see this ad :)
you will only be ridiculed if you have stats that are top 10 school step1 >240 step 2 >240 AOA honors everything with pubs and are asking "will i get interviews?"

this forum provides plenty of information in this thread and previous threads where such questions do not need to be asked. it simply points to the sheer insecurity of the applicant, the lack of resourcefulness, and all while seemingly being gunnerish at the same time.

this thread should always be started with the disclaimer of (if step 1 is above X and step 2 above Y and other qualifiers, you do not need to post because you WILL match/be competitive some placed in the "top 25")

You will find that this thread was not started with that disclaimer, and these rules were related to posters throughout the thread in a manner that only sought to ridicule. One person, I forget who, finally posted some "rules" buried deep in the thread, but in the meantime, a lot of animosity has been thrown around.

This is beneath us... are we budding surgeons, or budding internists? Come on people! :)

There is a lot of good information in this thread and I hope it stays positive instead of stooping to the level of these "gunners."

Hi. I am an IMG with step1-245, ck- 221, cs - pass, but 2 attempts. No USCE except for 4 months of observerships. Require visa. Have been 2 years out of med school. Do I have any chances for IM?

it sounds like being a "gunner" is a bad thing...

well yes... having a gunner preen his/her peacock feathers is a bad thing (I am partially guilty of this.. but it was never intentional in a way to gain notoriety or put down anyone else)

but if looking down on high achievement is a bad thing....

but point taken about not having to post superfluous information in this thread.

Would anyone be able to comment on the differences in the strength of the programs of Case Western University program vs. Case Western MetroHealth?

at the CASE Western University program: your training is at University Hospitals Case Medical Center and the VA while in the Case Metrohealth program: your training is at MetroHealth Hospitals.

Is Univ Hosp or Metrohealth more "prestigious"? Ie which would you rather interview at?

Is Univ Hosp or Metrohealth more "prestigious"? Ie which would you rather interview at?

I too would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on MetroHealth. I have read mix reviews over MetroHealth.

I too would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on MetroHealth. I have read mix reviews over MetroHealth.

I find it kind of amazing that Case is still so vague about this. Back when I was applying (7y ago), I emailed and called the PCs at both programs to try to get an answer to this question. They both swore up and down that their program was the one and only "academic" program at Case. So I just didn't apply...F it. I doubt I missed out on much.

A tad apprehensive about posting after seeing everyone's great scores, but figure its worth a shot

US born IMG- Caribbean
Step 1: 209
Step 2 CS: Pass 1st try
Step 2 CK: 237
Did all my clinical rotations in NY at same hospital, with a Sub-I at another
LORS: 1 from Medical Director of said hospital, 1 from Chairmen of Med at same, 2 from attendings. All very positive letters.
Pubs: A couple poster presentations at national conferences, masters thesis published, some med school research and clinical research.
MS3- All H's and great comments
Awards: Med school work scholarship, Eagle Scout
Wife is a resident in NY so I applied to all 51 IM programs (Cat and Prelim) and a handful of others up and down east coast (Cat only).

Do I have a shot for any Categorical spots in NY? What do you think chances are I can stay near her?

Your chances are reasonable.

Look. Right now its getting harder to predict what will happen with Carib grads. I just don't have a sense in how things are shaking out right now, but while your Step 1 is rather vanilla, the rest of your application seems solid and I'd say as long as you are not picking about where in NY, you'll probably find a spot somewhere.

Good luck.

Hi. I am an IMG with step1-245, ck- 221, cs - pass, but 2 attempts. No USCE except for 4 months of observerships. Require visa. Have been 2 years out of med school. Do I have any chances for IM?

Uh. Chances are not very good. You can always apply very broadly and see. It's getting tough.

Members don't see this ad :)

Case Student here. So I haven't done rotations at Metrohealth yet , so perhaps I'm a little biased, but from what I understand, as far as internal medicine residency goes, it's not at the level of University Hospitals. Granted, it's a great hospital for teaching medical students, and I've heard a lot of great things about the rotations there (especially ED/trauma/surgery), but the internal medicine residency itself would still be better to do at UH/VA.

What is going on?? Should I start panicking?

US IMG- Carib student 233/235/CS grade pending
Honored all my rotations, 3 years research experience prior to med school
I've applied to initially 56 and now 99 total IM programs, only 2 IVs (one at a program thats not even in the match)!

I can't understand whats going on. My transcript on ERAS does not have my IM grade because it wasn't available at the time, but a new version was finally uploaded to ECFMG today and hopefully will go on ERAS soon.
Is it possible that I havent gotten interviews because of the missing IM grade? Or is it the missing CS? I won't have those scores until Dec 5 (I took the exam the first day of the late scoring block).
I believed I was a competitive applicant, but I haven't even heard from the small community programs.

I've applied to initially 56 and now 99 total IM programs, only 2 IVs (one at a program thats not even in the match)!

I can't understand whats going on. My transcript on ERAS does not have my IM grade because it wasn't available at the time, but a new version was finally uploaded to ECFMG today and hopefully will go on ERAS soon.
Is it possible that I havent gotten interviews because of the missing IM grade? Or is it the missing CS? I won't have those scores until Dec 5 (I took the exam the first day of the late scoring block).
I believed I was a competitive applicant, but I haven't even heard from the small community programs.

highly likely that it's because you didn't have an IM grade. as far as panicking, i am not sure yet....

I would think not having an IM grade when applying to IM residency would be a huge deal. Also, not having a CS score is also hurting you. Good luck

my husband is on the same boat, I am not sure if he is as competetive as you though.
His scores are 231/ 254/ CS still pending
Graduated with Honorary degree from Med school
Cardiologist in home country
YOG 2004
Applied to 60 programs which are mostly community and who have lots of IMGs
Still no IVs no rejections
We are anxious and a little angry to ECFMG because CS result which he took on August 7th still is not come out.

Northeast Top 50 school
Step 1 233
Step 2 CK 263
Honors: surgery, family medicine
High Pass: IM (missed by 2 points on the shelf, part of me died that day), peds, psych, ob-gyn
4 Letters: strong letter from medicine sub-i attending, 2 IM letters in addition to Chairman letter
2 research publications in fairly respectable peer-reviewed journals (one basic, one clinical)
decent extracurriculars
dreaded "excellent" on dean's letter, no AOA

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?? I'm a little panicked cause I applied to 22 programs and only have 3 invites so far, but they're stacked heavily towards reach and maybe I have less fits/safeties that I should. Here's my rather haphazard list, interviews in bold:

Reach: 3 Harvards, Yale (traditional), Columbia, Cornell, U Penn, Michigan, Hopkins, Mt. Sinai

Fits: Tufts, BU, Brown, NYU, AECOM-Monte, UConn, SUNY Stony Brook

Limbo: St. Luke's Roosevelt, NSLIJHS

Safety: AECOM-BI, NYMC Westchester, Lennox Hill

Should I be anxious? Or should I calm down? Am slightly concerned I don't have enough safeties. Am thinking about sending additional applications to SUNY Downstate, UNDMJ-RWJ, maybe other Philly schools. Thanks to anyone willing to provide input or perspective!

Last edited by a moderator:
Things not to be all that worried about affecting his chances:
We are anxious and a little angry to ECFMG because CS result which he took on August 7th still is not come out.

Things to be very worried about affecting his chances

2. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?? I'm a little panicked cause I applied to 22 programs and only have 3 invites so far, but they're stacked heavily towards reach and maybe I have less fits/safeties that I should. Here's my rather haphazard list, interviews in bold:

Reach: 3 Harvards, Yale (traditional), Columbia, Cornell, U Penn, Michigan, Hopkins, Mt. Sinai

Should I be anxious? Or should I calm down? Am slightly concerned I don't have enough safeties. Am thinking about sending additional applications to SUNY Downstate, UNDMJ-RWJ, maybe other Philly schools. Thanks to anyone willing to provide input or perspective!

How many rejections do you have? Looking at your reach list, only about half of those programs seem to have offered any interviews. I would anticipate you getting at least a couple from that list, and most of them from your "fits" list.

I'm going to assume you're an NYU student...I would just settle down if I were you, you're going to be fine.

chill. your app is solid and your safeties are true safeties. you will and should get more invites

Northeast Top 50 school
Step 1 233
Step 2 CK 263
High Pass: IM (missed by 2 points on the shelf, part of me died that day), peds, psych, ob-gyn
4 Letters: strong letter from medicine sub-i attending, 2 IM letters in addition to Chairman letter
2 research publications in fairly respectable peer-reviewed journals (one basic, one clinical)
decent extracurriculars

1. Just found out this week that I honored sub-i and got another basic science publication in a solid IM subspecialty peer-reviewed journal. Neither made it onto ERAS. Is it too early to send status updates to programs asking for another chance at an interview?

2. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?? I'm a little panicked cause I applied to 22 programs and only have 3 invites so far, but they're stacked heavily towards reach and maybe I have less fits/safeties that I should. Here's my rather haphazard list, interviews in bold:

Northeast Top 50 school
Step 1 233
Step 2 CK 263
decent extracurriculars

Where I come from "excellent" is top half of the class. Im not sure why its 'dreaded'.

No rejections yet. Thanks for the reassurances, things tend to seem a lot worse in my head. Guess I'm just going to have to be patient and try to remain optimistic, although neither are particular strengths of mine. :rolleyes: Good luck to everyone!!

Quick question for you gutonc or anyone else if you know that answer.

I applied to 25 programs and have gotten 14 interview invitations but there are 9 programs (michigan, UAB, emory, Vandy, WashU, UTSW, colorado, maryland, and duke) that have sent interviews, but I haven't received one. I know some of these programs are reaches for me, but I think that Emory, UAB, Colorado, and Maryland are on par with some of the invites I have received (Ohio State, Indiana, Baylor (houston), and UVA, etc), but I am worried that I haven't heard anything from them. Do these programs continue to send invites throughout october and november or do you think they are pretty much done? Btw got 252 on step 2 CK to go with 236 on Step 1. Thanks. I will hang up and listen.

I applied to 25 programs and have gotten 14 interview invitations but there are 9 programs (michigan, UAB, emory, Vandy, WashU, UTSW, colorado, maryland, and duke) that have sent interviews, but I haven't received one. I know some of these programs are reaches for me, but I think that Emory, UAB, Colorado, and Maryland are on par with some of the invites I have received (Ohio State, Indiana, Baylor (houston), and UVA, etc), but I am worried that I haven't heard anything from them. Do these programs continue to send invites throughout october and november or do you think they are pretty much done? Btw got 252 on step 2 CK to go with 236 on Step 1. Thanks. I will hang up and listen.

I asked a similar question and it sounded like programs could send out interview invites all the way until early january. I am sure, however, this is more program specific.

Hi,

I still didn't get an interview from USC or UCLA. I wonder if you could give me an opinion if this is because I am not competitive, or is it just bad luck with timing? I got a bunch of interviews around a country, but I wonder if you think I still have a shot at UCLA?

step-1 ~250
Top 50 school,
1 HP in first two years, honors in the rest
2 HP in clinical rotations, honors in the rest
A few of typical ECs with some clinical exposure and charity.

no research post-undergrad, no-AOA yet, but there is a chance for that later in the year.

this is sorta related to a WAMC topic... feedback and advice from gutonc or aPD would definitely help.

so i just got my step 2CK score back, and it's a 233. disappointed because i left the test center feeling pretty good about my exam. step 1 is 226, US MD. i didn't automatically release my step 2ck scores because i took them later and wanted to see how i did. i'm not that excited about this score, but wasn't sure if i should even bother releasing it on ERAS or holding onto it. advice? suggestions?

thank you!

this is sorta related to a WAMC topic... feedback and advice from gutonc or aPD would definitely help.

so i just got my step 2CK score back, and it's a 233. disappointed because i left the test center feeling pretty good about my exam. step 1 is 226, US MD. i didn't automatically release my step 2ck scores because i took them later and wanted to see how i did. i'm not that excited about this score, but wasn't sure if i should even bother releasing it on ERAS or holding onto it. advice? suggestions?

thank you!

You gain nothing from not releasing it. You did fine. It's not going to help you get more interviews but some PDs may want to see it to rank you.

Hi,

I still didn't get an interview from USC or UCLA. I wonder if you could give me an opinion if this is because I am not competitive, or is it just bad luck with timing? I got a bunch of interviews around a country, but I wonder if you think I still have a shot at UCLA?

step-1 ~250
Top 50 school,
1 HP in first two years, honors in the rest
2 HP in clinical rotations, honors in the rest
A few of typical ECs with some clinical exposure and charity.

no research post-undergrad, no-AOA yet, but there is a chance for that later in the year.

you're going to be fine, as i am sure you have plenty of good interviews elsewhere.

I do have a few, but I applied to just several programs on the west coast.

i got an invite from Emory the day MSPE's came out. their spots have filled up fast and at one point were completely booked (they have an interactive interview date selection page), but from just checking just a minute ago they have nov 7 and 9 available. i'm sure as time goes on and people start to cancel, more invites will be sent out. I dunno if they traditionally send out rejections or if they just keep you floating in the wind like many programs seem to do. btw good job on CK :thumbup:

Currently a second year medical student at the Mayo Medical School.
US citizen

Step one: being taken in May
Research: 12 total publications. First author on 4 review papers, 2 basic science papers (late author), 2 clinical pubs (2nd author), 1 clinical (first author), 1 academic paper, and 2 case reports.
Leadership: was on board of the IM interest group and AMA.

My goal is to get into one of the Harvard Hospitals or Columbia, Cornell, Hopkins, or UPenn. What could I do to improve my application? Do I need more research? What Step 1 score should I shoot for? Also, would an MPH help with making me more competitive?

US citizen

Research: 12 total publications. First author on 4 review papers, 2 basic science papers (late author), 2 clinical pubs (2nd author), 1 clinical (first author), 1 academic paper, and 2 case reports.

My goal is to get into one of the Harvard Hospitals or Columbia, Cornell, Hopkins, or UPenn. What could I do to improve my application? Do I need more research? What Step 1 score should I shoot for? Also, would an MPH help with making me more competitive?

Things look good so far, though you're getting a little ahead of yourself being only an MS2. Research you've done is far exceeding what most people do - that will be a strength. Step 1 >240 (ideally more like 245 or 250) oughtta be your goal, but there are plenty of cases of people doing it with lower Step scores. EC's are just gravy.

Hi guys,

I am a D.O. 3rd yr halfway thru rotations. I do not do IM until Jan. The five rotations non-IM I have done thus far were honored. My USMLE Step 1 was 230, class rank top 1/4. The Cleveland Clinic posts that the average step 1 of PGY1's is 242. Is CCF too much of reach with my USMLE?

I have also looked @ Case Western Main resident classes, and I do not think I have seen a D.O. match there in 10 years.

I am interested in both, I do not want to squander away electives if these places are out of my league. Feedback appreciated!

US citizen

Straight up gunning right here

Thanks for your reply. But he did a residency after medical school in home country after graduation from medical school on 2004...By the way we got his score, 231/ 254/ pass CS
That does not count i guess.:(

DO student at Michigan State.
Comlex: ~95% ~upper 600s
Grades: P/F system but >90% in 1/2 M1 M2 classes, no remediation exams...preclinical >90% included in dean's letter.
Research: 2 years as M1 M2, no publications but had an abstract presented
Clerkship: P/F, all passed with 'above average' and 'exceptional' except OBGYN

I work really hard and have been getting good letters, but I am no longer interested in research. I want to do general IM and I'd like to go to a program that trains me as well as possible, but I can't find a list through all of these forums that gives me guidance in terms of programs known for clinical training.

Geographically, I'd like to live on the east coast...any suggestions? Didn't take USMLE because I was sure that I couldnt match that %ile, but I know that I can do well on it, got a 235 on NBME 7 before studying biochem and immuno and I am still going through Uworld to keep me...uptodate.

Please let me know of any good programs or where I can find a resource to help.
Thank you

I am a FMG,
262/CS pass(1st atempt)/CK-expecting in 3 weeks.
2 mo electives
multiple research projects back home
9-publications, 6 first author
YOG 2011
need visa

Can you please tell me how you feel about my chances if I apply this late (3rd week of Nov) or should I just drop the idea and plan for applying next year?

Would much appreciate any feedback.

Thanks and good luck.

Hi guys, I'm an img from the UK just wanting to see what my chances are for matching at good (ie. top 20) IM programs. Not aiming for Hopkins or anything but I'm certainly looking for mainly university programs as I have a PhD and want to follow an academic career.
Here are my credentials:

MBBS (London) in 2008, internship equivalent at Oxford Uni hospitals, currently doing a DPhil (Phd equivalent) at Oxford (looking to finish around next yr's summer)
step 1 >240
step 2 >250
MRCP (membership of the royal college of physicians)
Several publications (a mix of light/clinical research stuff and more basic science stuff with 4 first authors, will probably have ~10 total by the time I finish my PhD), several posters and conference presentations
USCE 6 months (including MGH and bidmc) and LORs respectively

My big downside is that I'm 5yrs since graduation when I apply next year, because 1) I know there are programs that will just filter me out due to that, and 2) all my US LORs are out of date. I'm confident about my clinical skills though because I've been taking weekly clinics during my PhD (in the UK this is allowed if you are a qualified clinician).
I'm hoping to organise some observerships after I finish with some of the attendings I have LORs from to get a more recent letter but of course it's not guaranteed.

Some honest feedback would be appreciated!

Things look good so far, though you're getting a little ahead of yourself being only an MS2. Research you've done is far exceeding what most people do - that will be a strength. Step 1 >240 (ideally more like 245 or 250) oughtta be your goal, but there are plenty of cases of people doing it with lower Step scores. EC's are just gravy.

Would the MPH make any tangible difference?

Would the MPH make any tangible difference?

No, not really. If you are gung ho on a career in epidemiology or public health then the MPH is a fine thing to have.

If you're just trying to make yourself more competitive so you can get a good cards/GI spot down the road, spend the time/money on studying for Step 1/2 instead.

Do I have a shot at any internal med academic programs in the Northeast.....just finished 3rd year. I'm a US born, Caribbean med student.

Basic Science GPA: 3.65
Clinical Sciences GPA: 4.0 (so far)

USMLE Step 1: 227/98
USMLE Step 2cs: Pass (1st attempt)
USMLE Step 2ck: 260/87

I am applying for 2014 match and will have two research papers published in Rads (1st author) and possibly one abstract (not 1st author)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...thanks!

Do I have a shot at any internal med academic programs in the Northeast.....just finished 3rd year. I'm a US born, Caribbean med student.

Basic Science GPA: 3.65
Clinical Sciences GPA: 4.0 (so far)

USMLE Step 1: 227/98
USMLE Step 2cs: Pass (1st attempt)
USMLE Step 2ck: 260/87

I am applying for 2014 match and will have two research papers published in Rads (1st author) and possibly one abstract (not 1st author)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...thanks!

Come back next year.

Not being sarcastic (for a change), just realistic. Things (you, your goals, your "competition") will be different next year. Your scores are fine, you've done all you can (and done it well), but you can't purge yourself of the Carib grad label.

Anyone wanna take a shot? I'm halfway through 3rd year

- US Med School, allopathic, NOT top 50
- Pre-clinical: Honors in everything except HP in one course
- Step 1: 248
- Clinical: Honors in Peds and FM. HP in Int Med (so sad). Still have to do surgery, psych/neuro, and ob/gyn
- Research: summer research for two summers. no publications.
- Extracurriculars: enough to fluff. some leadership. some service.
- LOR: none asked yet, but i have some professors that i think can write me decent letters

I want a fellowship, probably in cardiology, but I also care a lot about getting well-rounded, extensive clinical training for internal medicine. I definitely want a university program though, no community-based. I'm not listing any programs I'm considering b/c I don't even know too much yet. Any predictions on my chances and what are good programs that are good matches for me? I want either the northeast or west coast. Thanks, guys

Anyone wanna take a shot? I'm halfway through 3rd year

- US Med School, allopathic, NOT top 50
- Pre-clinical: Honors in everything except HP in one course
- Step 1: 248
- Clinical: Honors in Peds and FM. HP in Int Med (so sad). Still have to do surgery, psych/neuro, and ob/gyn
- Research: summer research for two summers. no publications.
- Extracurriculars: enough to fluff. some leadership. some service.
- LOR: none asked yet, but i have some professors that i think can write me decent letters

I want a fellowship, probably in cardiology, but I also care a lot about getting well-rounded, extensive clinical training for internal medicine. I definitely want a university program though, no community-based. I'm not listing any programs I'm considering b/c I don't even know too much yet. Any predictions on my chances and what are good programs that are good matches for me? I want either the northeast or west coast. Thanks, guys

HP in medicine will hurt you. otherwise, you will be fine for lots of great mid tier and some top tier. take your subi early and honor it. you have no choice. if you get AOA, great. who knows what it's really worth.

Hey all,

Just a lowly MS3 but wanted to get some advice as 3rd year is moving along quickly. Am strongly considering IM along with one or two other specialties.

Step 1 high 260's
MS1/MS2: all honors and some awards for being at the top of the class.
MS3: all honors so far ( IM grade pending)
Research: a basic science publication as well some case reports and a medical ethics text book chapter.
AOA status unknown.

Do I have a decent shot at the good academic programs in NY/Boston. Also interested in Stanford and maybe some programs in the Pacific Northwest. Would really appreciate advice for strengthening my app over the next few months and regarding programs that I should consider applying to.

Hey all,

Just a lowly MS3 but wanted to get some advice as 3rd year is moving along quickly. Am strongly considering IM along with one or two other specialties.

Step 1 high 260's
MS1/MS2: all honors and some awards for being at the top of the class.
MS3: all honors so far ( IM grade pending)
Research: a basic science publication as well some case reports and a medical ethics text book chapter.
AOA status unknown.

Do I have a decent shot at the good academic programs in NY/Boston. Also interested in Stanford and maybe some programs in the Pacific Northwest. Would really appreciate advice for strengthening my app over the next few months and regarding programs that I should consider applying to.

seriously!? read just a little bit of this thread.

it's a crap shoot at the top, but on paper you're fine. urm or unique talent that plays a major role in your life? golden.

seriously!? read just a little bit of this thread.

it's a crap shoot at the top, but on paper you're fine. urm or unique talent that plays a major role in your life? golden.

I'm not so sure thats true. I have urm friends with strong steps, grades and research experience who received multiple rejections from top programs. The only common denominator was that they went to mid tier or low tier schools. Contrast that to a couple of my classmates (at a 'top tier' school) who got invites to the same programs with less competitive apps on comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.