Official 2023-2024 Allergy & Immunology Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How'd you guys do?
This year was super competitive. I had 10 interviews and matched on rank list number 7. I have mixed feeling but just happy and grateful I matched.

Members don't see this ad.

This year was super competitive. I had 10 interviews and matched on rank list number 7. I have mixed feeling but just happy and grateful I matched.
Can anyone comment on why they think people are falling down their list? More competitive applicant pool based on what research? scores? more applicants? From the PGY3s ive spoken with seems like this was a huge trend this year

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there was only one unfilled spot. A/I had the fourth highest fill rate of all pediatric and medicine subspecialties! I think because of the higher number of applicants this year. Wonder if it will continue to climb in numbers or level off.

I matched at my top choice! It’s in the city where our family is and where my husband and I want to settle down permanently, so very excited. Congratulations to everyone that matched. For those that didn’t, wishing you the best of luck with your next steps and wanting you to know it doesn’t define you as a person or a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
12 interviews, but didn’t match. I feel so discouraged. Not sure what to do now.
4 interviews, didn't match. Will take some time to reconsider the options and potentially apply again next cycle. Congrats to everyone who matched yesterday and good luck to those who didn't!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe there was only one unfilled spot. A/I had the fourth highest fill rate of all pediatric and medicine subspecialties! I think because of the higher number of applicants this year. Wonder if it will continue to climb in numbers or level off.

I matched at my top choice! It’s in the city where our family is and where my husband and I want to settle down permanently, so very excited. Congratulations to everyone that matched. For those that didn’t, wishing you the best of luck with your next steps and wanting you to know it doesn’t define you as a person or a doctor.
What were the top 3 highest fill rate subspecialties if you know?

What were the top 3 highest fill rate subspecialties if you know?
Allergy was in the top 3. Only beaten by cards and GI. Match rate for allergy dropped by about 5% this year (77% matched last year, 72% matched this year). Heme/onc and pulm/crit had a 77% match rate this year.

• Wow
Allergy was in the top 3. Only beaten by cards and GI. Match rate for allergy dropped by about 5% this year (77% matched last year, 72% matched this year). Heme/onc and pulm/crit had a 77% match rate this year.
Holy smokes haha tbh i think allergy is just going to get more and more competitive unfortunately :(

Reactions: 1 user
Technically I think interventional pulm was the highest, but it’s super small so I doubt it really counts.

I'm very fortunate to have matched this year. It is scary to see how competitive the field is getting. What was once considered "the best kept secret specialty in medicine," is perhaps starting to get the recognition it deserves- for better or worse.

Keep in mind that most programs are only 2 spots on average and thus "dropping" down your rank list is easy to do, especially when considering that a lot of programs may fill their few spots internally. I had no home fellowship program or connections to the field and did feel that there was favoritism being played to other applicants who perhaps shared those connections with the faculty. In a field as small as A&I there are so many equally important factors than just high board scores and where you went for residency. Connections, research, fit with the program's mission, letters of recommendation, participation in national meetings and how well you vibe with faculty on interview day are very important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to everyone in this group that helped with information over the cycle. Congrats to those who matched! For those who didn't, you can make some real money (or continue making real money) in attending world for a year and ready up next year.

I ended up matching at my 1, but I played the match scenarios out in my head so many times. When programs have 1 or 2 spots, 90+ applicants, and interview 30+ people, its no shock that people dropped in their rank list. Even being ranked 'highly' by a program doesn't mean much. Being top 5 on their rank is techincally 'high', but still a long shot if theres only 1 spot. It's a very competitive field.

Excited to meet all of you at conferences and through collaborative efforts.

Can you post a link to the data you got this from?

I matched #2. Congrats to those who matched and to those that didn’t this is just a bump in the road!

17 interviews and matched to my number 6. Incredibly thankful to have matched and wishing everyone who didn't the best of luck moving forward!

Because I'm nosey as all get out, does anyone know which program didn't fill??

17 interviews and matched to my number 6. Incredibly thankful to have matched and wishing everyone who didn't the best of luck moving forward!

Because I'm nosey as all get out, does anyone know which program didn't fill??
Looks like it was an IM program just looking at the data, not sure which one though.

Reactions: 3 users