Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't meant critical care itself is more complicated by concept. Critical care is all barbaric nuance and backed by little good evidence for doing much of anything. But rather that critical care was complicated by patients with more and more chronic medical illness. You do critical care in the context of more and more other things to take into account. It's not just just sepsis. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic with an EF of 30%. It's not just sepsis in a diabetic with an EF of 30% and COPD. Etc. It's important to take it all into account. And that makes care of the patients more complicated.
Which is why I tell my interns - what is going to make the most difference is not how diligently you applied the latest EBM, but how you took care of the patient in the context of their beliefs, financial/socio-economic limitations, and how well you equipped them to get the most quality out of the remainder of their life.
Also it is why I think our favorite old timer in the icu says it's unforgivable to let an asthmatic die from mismanagement - it's one of those few things that are 'fixable'

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what do we do on here after noon. Do we spill?

Spill the good beans I guess. If its bad. Might need some beers first

Institution Name: Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ

Mayo...... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to all who matched !! How was the match overall this year? How competitive is Pul/CC this year ? any unfilled spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
NRMP didn't want us to kill ourselves with Takatsubo's, and released the results a few min early

Reactions: 1 user
Matched!! Sorry am a bug a boo about sharing out in public forums. Pulm/ccm match rate was 69%, GI was the only specialty that was tougher. Congrats everyone, just remember no matter where you go at the end of day you will get to be a Pulmonary & CC doc..... Again thanks to all the young old-timers on here for all the advice. Shout out to my main man JDH LOL

Last edited:
Desijigga, where do u find those data?

I went to nrmp website and did not see anything but 2013 data

It's under match reports section once you log in.
Seems like pulm/cc similar to last year remains very competitive. (lower match rate than cardio but gi tougher)

I matched to my top 3. Happy with the result. Congrats everyone!

Congrats to everyone who matched and good luck! Was nice hanging out with you guys.

Matched! Good luck everyone.. Onward and upward!

When do we officially sign the contracts? I need to start the J1 nonsense all over again.

Matched at my #1 UC Davis. I will post my interview impressions once I get a little more time. Congratulations to everyone!

Interesting to note that Yale matched only 1 out of 5 positions. Out of 8 total unfilled positions in the country - there are 4 in Yale, 1 in U-New Mexico, 1 in Maine Medical Center, 1 in University of Arkansas, 1 in University of Nebraska.

Interesting to note that Yale matched only 1 out of 5 positions. Out of 8 total unfilled positions in the country - there are 4 in Yale, 1 in U-New Mexico, 1 in Maine Medical Center, 1 in University of Arkansas, 1 in University of Nebraska.

That's the result of overestimating their awesomeness

Hello Guys, Any communication/ email from the programs you matched?

Someone is probably mad in Maine! They are notorious for filling from within. I wonder if someone up and decided to step out on what was sold as a "sure thing"??

So, one of my attendings was saying that PDs get a list of where everyone they ranked matched. Is that true?

So, one of my attendings was saying that PDs get a list of where everyone they ranked matched. Is that true?

Yup - it's interesting to see some of the applicants ending up not in PCCM but matching in GI or cards or heme/onc ...

I matched into my #1. Very very good clinical program. Happy and excited. Can't put where since I tend to get into too many augments online lol. Congrats to everone. If you didn't match, don't give up!!

I matched into my #1. Very very good clinical program. Happy and excited. Can't put where since I tend to get into too many augments online lol. Congrats to everone. If you didn't match, don't give up!!
lol! congrats..

Hope everyone got to celebrate their match. Just a few random questions?

1) So I am moving to another state for fellowship, so do I apply for both Educational limited license and permanent license for the state my fellowship is in?
2) Do I need to get a permanent license for my current residency state to take the IM boards next year?

Thanks guys

1) So I am moving to another state for fellowship, so do I apply for both Educational limited license and permanent license for the state my fellowship is in?
2) Do I need to get a permanent license for my current residency state to take the IM boards next year?

Thanks guys

You need to check with your program coordinator to find out if you need a full license or not (I think Cali is the only state the requires a full license after PG2), otherwise I'd suggest applying for both, just get the educational permit in pronto and that will give you time to put together the rest.

You state license is irrelevant to taking IM boards. Sign up for IM boards is like this month or the next. You need to have the money available now. Just FYI. No one told me that when I was a third year. For some reason.

Thanks JDH for the input. I will get on these things now. Nice thing is our program lets us use the conference money we have left over from residency to pay for IM boards.

Hey guys, anyone matched to a CCM/PCCM fellowship that is a Canadian grad (ie: did IM residency in a Canadian institution)? If so, what was it like and what can I do to be more competitive/stand out? I'm already planning on getting a H-1B visa and completing all my USMLEs to maximize my chances + doing as many CCM electives down South as possible.

Hey guys, anyone matched to a CCM/PCCM fellowship that is a Canadian grad (ie: did IM residency in a Canadian institution)? If so, what was it like and what can I do to be more competitive/stand out? I'm already planning on getting a H-1B visa and completing all my USMLEs to maximize my chances + doing as many CCM electives down South as possible.

Most places won't sponsor anything other than J1's

Thanks guys

If you Apply with time you are better served with a full medical license, so if moonlighting in your first year is something you want/can/ or like most of us must, you can do so. You can also apply next year(2017) or when ready for a permanent one.
In the end that is the only difference( moonlight or not) you don't even need CME as long as you are in fellowship in most states regardless of the type of license.

Congrats to you and all that matched.