Possible to match pulm crit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedindividual

Reaction score
US MD from university residency program, with average board scores and low research (4-5 case report presentations at national conferences, published in conference proceedings).
I decided on PCCM very late, and therefore will be doing a point of care ultrasound fellowship next year. I plan to get involved in POCUS research and apply immediately after completion of ultrasound fellowship while working as a hospitalist for that year.

I am open to direct critical care fellowship as well and will likely dual apply. Do I stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

if the point of the POCUS fellowship is to get in touch with PCCM attendings to write LORs then that is one strategy I guess.

anyway you will have a shot for sure. but temper your expectations and cast a wide net go as many programs as possible.

the 2 year crit care programs in the match (for IM graduates) would be glad to have a hospitalist join them for two years. then after that you could do a 2 year pulm fellowship (those are far less common though but usually will take the 2 year CCM graduates no questions)

but i've known plenty of residents who did not match the first time, did hospitalist for a year or more sometimes (more for money reasons usually), make connections get letters do resaerch, and get into a great PCCM program somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 Year critical care programs which were not previously this competitive before has became more competitive than Pulm/crit. I asked a few people around and turns out some Pulm/crit Docs just wants to do just critical care alone and be done with it. Looks like they want to emulate hospitalists work life schedules. As per NRMP stats getting into 3 year PCCM is much easier compared to the 2 year positions right now.

2 Year critical care programs which were not previously this competitive before has became more competitive than Pulm/crit. I asked a few people around and turns out some Pulm/crit Docs just wants to do just critical care alone and be done with it. Looks like they want to emulate hospitalists work life schedules. As per NRMP stats getting into 3 year PCCM is much easier compared to the 2 year positions right now.
7o7off is awesome. Love it.
Sometimes I miss clinic but then on my week off that longing goes away 😆

Reactions: 1 users
Is it necessary for all LORs to be from PCCM attendings or can they also be from non pulmonary CC folks?

Is it necessary for all LORs to be from PCCM attendings or can they also be from non pulmonary CC folks?
one has to be your IM program director

you'll want the other 2/3 to be from PCCM or CCM attendings
it will simply have more weight than having a cardiologist or hospitalist write it

Ok- so it is still acceptable to obtain a letter from an ID/Crit or Nephro/Crit attending potentially

Reactions: 1 user
Ok- so it is still acceptable to obtain a letter from an ID/Crit or Nephro/Crit attending potentially
If you are applying to ID/crit or Nephro/crit it could be useful. But, if you are just applying to PCCM, you can have these LORs as your last choice. Its usually recommended to stick to PCCM LORs first. The PCCM people I have met they don't have great opinion about Nephro/crit in general but its anecdotal evidence. Try to match and play it to the egos of people in their speciality and it generally shall serve you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
US MD from university residency program, with average board scores and low research (4-5 case report presentations at national conferences, published in conference proceedings).
I decided on PCCM very late, and therefore will be doing a point of care ultrasound fellowship next year. I plan to get involved in POCUS research and apply immediately after completion of ultrasound fellowship while working as a hospitalist for that year.

I am open to direct critical care fellowship as well and will likely dual apply. Do I stand a chance?
Apply for a sleep fellowship over a POCUS one.
If you don’t get in PCCM sleep will help a bunch and faculty is shared.

Quite a few excellent Intensivist…. Did ICU/Sleep Clinic at mayo Rochester. It’s a great combo.

Reactions: 2 users