COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

i failed ...my score dropped 20 points....and for those who have failed, remember, just keep pushing and don't give up. and for those who had an increase in their scores like most of my classmates, great work, and be proud of yourselves. your hard work has paid off.
just curious, u went prom passing to fail? its ok, just a bump in the road, youll get past it and not even remember it in a few years from now

Members don't see this ad :)
From the score review, I went from 495 --> 545 (50 pt increase). Somehow, this means I went from below the old mean to above the new mean. :D

What on earth? Scores just went up for anyone who took the exam on July 28th. I went down 120 points from level 1. Is this possible? Did anyone else experience such a drop? Im assuming they "fixed" whatever problems they were encountering in the prior group. Im losing my mind a bit right now. If anyone has scores that are abnormally low and much lower than anticipated, please respond. I studied way harder for this exam and scored comfortably in the mid 600's on level 1 with this precipitous drop applying for a competitive specialty. This will essentially make my chances zero if this is not a screw up. COMSAEs were all 100 points higher than my actual score.

Yeah, I dropped 20 percentile points. From mid 90s to 70s. We are probably just unlucky though.

I just emailed them and also asked for a score recheck. This cannot be possible. Unused, random UWorld I was running in the low 80s, finished combank and quest with comsae's in high 600's - low 700's and I drop this much? It seems fishy to me. Hey Atom bum, if you think something is not write, I suggest you email them like I just did showing your concern. I know the last group had like 3k people in it, and this group of examinees is a lot smaller since its only july 28th - august 6th i think, but still, I think its worth voicing concern. Im literally losing my mind here. I only had one bad block, the rest were pretty smooth. My score makes no sense.

Took mine 7/31 and my score dropped 60 pts from level 1 to level 2. wtf? So disappointed with my score. did they just adjust it for people up to 7/28 and then forget to do it for those of us from 7/31? NONE of my categories were "borderline" in the breakdown. not one. My score does not make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh I wonder how our scores are affected?

My score is 2 points higher than my step 1. But I felt so much better coming out and I scored a good deal higher on the 2 comsaes that I took. Plus I was doing pretty well on combank and comquest...finished both qbanks.

Hmm, maybe something is fishy. I was hoping for a higher score. I'm glad I didn't drop, but everything indicated that I would do better on this exam.

Literally, not kidding after the re-grading there is between a 220-240 point difference between my score and the scores of my collegues who scored similar to me/lower on level 1 and had the same practice grades as me. Me (low 500's), Them (mid 700s). I could be an outlier but if someone else on here dropped 100 points then its worth communicating/exploring rather than accepting no?

I just emailed them and also asked for a score recheck. This cannot be possible. Unused, random UWorld I was running in the low 80s, finished combank and quest with comsae's in high 600's - low 700's and I drop this much? It seems fishy to me. Hey Atom bum, if you think something is not write, I suggest you email them like I just did showing your concern. I know the last group had like 3k people in it, and this group of examinees is a lot smaller since its only july 28th - august 6th i think, but still, I think its worth voicing concern. Im literally losing my mind here. I only had one bad block, the rest were pretty smooth. My score makes no sense.
What did you say in your email?

I told them that there is a 120 point discrepancy between my level 1 and 2 and based on my comsae's, preparation, and practice exams, I feel there is a possibility of error in the grading of my exam and I asked them to look into the exam grading process for this block. I also stated that collegues (you guys) of mine have experienced similar drops on this exam just hours after the score release.

Mine dropped too! I can't believe it, i felt like i did so much better. It's like the regrade wasn't applied to our scores!

Has anyone every known of someone having a positive outcome after paying the $50 for the "score verification"?

Even though it seems unlikely to happen twice, it's nice to commiserate with you folks.

Has anyone every known of someone having a positive outcome after paying the $50 for the "score verification"?
Well a lot of people in the last block paid for it and got their money refunded due to the psychometric review and their scores increased.

Took Step 2 CE on 7/31

My score dropped 1 point from Step 1 (580's). I felt like I murdered it walking out of Prometric... Not sure what to think.

Long time lurker here. I thought that I should add my scores to the list.
Comlex 1 617 (COMSAE D 607)
Step 1 236 (Avg practice tests 240)

Step 2 248 (Avg pract tests 250)
Score released today - Comlex 2 814, 2 digit score was 99 (COMSAE D 525).... Even i can admit that the scoring system and the Comlex/NBOME organization as a whole is a bit absurd.

I actually thought the highest it could go was 800, so i thought it was a miskey or a false result...and after some research i saw that the max score is 834.
Weird. Here's to a delicious celebratory Double IPA tonight.

TY noke.

I felt like everyone else leaving the exam. Like crap, because the questions are ridiculous. I was hoping for a 650. Dreamed it would be tight to get a 700, never even had anything above that cross my mind.

Yeah, we are probably just a small vocal minority with bad luck.
I don't really mean bad luck, just didn't perform like we wanted.

Long time lurker here. I thought that I should add my scores to the list.
Comlex 1 617 (COMSAE D 607)
Step 1 236 (Avg practice tests 240)

Step 2 248 (Avg pract tests 250)
Score released today - Comlex 2 814, 2 digit score was 99 (COMSAE D 525).... Even i can admit that the scoring system and the Comlex/NBOME organization as a whole is a bit absurd.

I actually thought the highest it could go was 800, so i thought it was a miskey or a false result...and after some research i saw that the max score is 834.
Weird. Here's to a delicious celebratory Double IPA tonight.

Dang, nice work! I think one obvious takeaway from this summer is that COMSAE are not predictive of real scores the way NBME practice exams are for the Steps. My COMSAE form D for Level 2 was ~100 pts higher than the real thing, and I went down ~20 pts from Level 1. That said I still did fine, and my heart goes out to those who are applying AOA and have a big discrepancy on the negative direction. We really need to eliminate this farce of an exam and switch to USMLE.

Koan, i agree completely... I took my comsae D for 1 and only made a 10 pt jump in 6weeks of studying. Then this one was a roughly 250pt jump. Come on, these are supposed to be standardized and consistent tests. And they arent. I vote that we just stay after the USMLE for one more hour and take an extra block of OMM questions.

My takeaway is that if we are experiencing the same drops the previous group experienced, then our scores should get the same "psychometric review." The previous group had the same problem - scores much lower than expected for most, not a big change for some, and better for a minority. So if they got the review, we should get the review as well; otherwise this small group of us is going to look like a bunch of dummies. Either the psychometric review or some explanation as to why everyone is still scoring lower despite the fiasco earlier this month.

I got my score back today. Wen't up 50 points from Step 1, granted I was sub 500. As far as comsae, I scored almost exactly half way between the one I took about 3.5 weeks out and the score I got on the one 10 days before.
It says on the report the new mean is approximately 540 and SD approx 100. Looks like the scores were recalculated since they did delay our scores twice.

Those are the same stats that the previous group has too, so it looks like they applied the psychometric review already. Maybe sazz9 just broke the distribution lol.
My bad bro. If it would help others I would drop mine a hundred points!

If it makes anyone feel any better, I have heard some program directors are just going to ignore step 2 scores this cycle.
It doesn't make me feel any better, but whatevs.

I scored 258 on step 2ck. I'm not expecting 700s because my friends scored it although all comsaes were high 600s but going from mid 600s to 520s with 250+ on usmle 1 and 2 seems fishy to me. Met a guy on rotations that didn't break 700 the first time but went to 899 on the previous re grade. Anything above 550 at this point would suffice but I had four arrows pointing to the right, nothing touching borderline and felt better coming out that. Level 1. The three of us here that dropped 100+ points could be outliers but I never heard one case this consistent last year like this. I mean the discrepancy is just way too big. 258 usmle to 520s?

I felt like I destroyed my comlex level 2. And now I'm stuck with a level 2 score way below my level 1 score. We pay a lot of money for "experts" to give us an accurate evaluation. What do we do now? Are we too small of a testing group to even have a voice?

I feel like we are. The last group was 3k students out of a TOTAL of 5k and when I called just now the woman on the other end just went on and on about how comsae is only an "assessment"

It's just strange that multiple 100 point drops in this session from level 1 to level 2 with no 100 pt drops from level 1 to level 2 AFTER the regrade from the last session.

I agree. I know it's a long shot but there is no harm in requesting the same psychometric review that was given to the previous group. I may be trying to rationalize but this big of a discrepancy right after this big mess that happened only a week ago warrants further investigation.

If you don't mind me asking, which programs? (AOA vs. ACGME or specialty).
I'm assuming just AOA. I don't think ACGME gives a shiz.
One was specifically an ortho program, not sure about the others. I know this might make some people upset because many count on step two to make up for substellar step one. Im sure even if they say they are ignoring step two, they will still use it.
Also, I really doubt every program will follow suit.

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to jump on here and also mention that my score dropped pretty significantly as well, despite feeling much stronger coming out of level 2 compared with level 1 (Had about a 90 point drop). I don't think it's unreasonable to request another psychometric review for our testing cycle.

Took exam 7/31, also about 100 pt drop despite Comquest percentage etc. indicating otherwise. Thought I'd add my experience.

If you don't mind me asking, which programs? (AOA vs. ACGME or specialty).

I had no Comlex 2 score until today... and I have received 9 AOA EM interviews. Apparently it hasn't been an issue, for EM at least. Not sure if they are just giving out interviews without it because of this delay and regrading. It may just be a coincidence I guess.

USMLE 1-- 212
USMLE 2-- 227

COMSAE 2 form D (one month before the real exam)-- 498
Comlex 1-- 553
Comlex 2-- 557

I felt pretty solid on Comlex when I left the exam... Until I got my score today. I was hoping for at least a 50 point increase. I guess I went up, and I am happy about that. Could've been worse from what I have been hearing from other people!

I had no Comlex 2 score until today... and I have received 9 AOA EM interviews. Apparently it hasn't been an issue, for EM at least. Not sure if they are just giving out interviews without it because of this delay and regrading. It may just be a coincidence I guess.

USMLE 1-- 212
USMLE 2-- 227

COMSAE 2 form D (one month before the real exam)-- 498
Comlex 1-- 553
Comlex 2-- 557

I felt pretty solid on Comlex when I left the exam... Until I got my score today. I was hoping for at least a 50 point increase. I guess I went up, and I am happy about that. Could've been worse from what I have been hearing from other people!
Holy crap, interviews already?