COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them and they said "Please note that the COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE scores from June 25, 2014 thru July 21, 2014 are expected to be available today."

Reactions: 1 user
Any word on the July 28 to August 4th scores? Per the NBOME website it also mentions that they should be released by September 2nd.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we have till 7pm eastern before all hope is lost.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a 12 point increase BAHAHA, I don't care though, I didn't go from pass to fail, I wish everyone else the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the mean jumped to 540. And it looks like the standard deviation changed from 61 to 100.
540 is the mean now??!! That is crazy but I'll take it. I have several programs that have a 500 cutoff so the increase in mean works in my favor. Now I just hope they can hurry up and process the next batch.

52 point jump. I'll take it! One point below level 1, but I got a 551 last year so I guess that's not too much of a drop haha

So, is anyone else feeling like WTF? Was this an impulse, knee-jerk response to the big outcry? I bet the avg has been rising (as it always does, including STEP1/2), so it makes sense for the mean to climb from previous years. But what I don't understand is why there was an SD change from 81->62->100 over the span of one month. What is going on? There will be fewer complaints now I guess.

EDIT: Sorry. Should have just waited for the email. It basically looks like we are mimicking the NBME with a set pass score and naturally changing/increasing mean. It just took a lot of unnecessary confusion to get here.

Last edited:
My score went down also. I do not understand, how the SD went up from the previous changes. It seems like if you had borderline the scores they went down further. It seems inconsistent and still vague. doesn't seem like it helped everyone.

So, is anyone else feeling like WTF? Was this an impulse, knee-jerk response to the big outcry? I bet the avg has been rising (as it always does, including STEP1/2), so it makes sense for the mean to climb from previous years. But what I don't understand is why there was an SD change from 81->62->100 over the span of one month. What is going on? There will be fewer complaints now I guess.

EDIT: Sorry. Should have just waited for the email. It basically looks like we are mimicking the NBME with a set pass score and naturally changing/increasing mean. It just took a lot of unnecessary confusion to get here.
I dont think you understand how SD works. It's not a number made up by the NBOME.

I called and she said about the July 28, 2014 - August 4, 2014 dates "We're looking at possibly Monday to release those". So, expect October.

If you scored below 440 the first time, your score went down.
If you scored above 440 the first time, your score went up.

Just curious, where are you getting this information from? I'm not sure it's totally true...

I was just trying to guestimate with some math. if you were at 440 last time you were about 1 SD below average. Now 1 SD below average is 440, but I guess i'm not taking into consideration some other factors...

Who: A medical student who took Comlex 2 on 7/9/14
Original Score: 423
New Score: 435

So people who were below 440 stayed the same or went up ALSO so that theory is false. Looks like people who originally failed, went down.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a FAQ pdf about the psychometric review. This should be an interesting read...

Ok so the FAQ does answer a few things...

It says people with scores close to 400 had less of an impact and scores further away from 400 (in either direction) had a larger impact.

That's why all the SDN gunners are increasing by 100+ points :)

It sounds like they didn't change anyone from passing to fail...or from fail to passing. If you scored 400 or greater, your score went up...if you failed, you remain a failure and they actually drive the score down further. This effectively keeps the pass/fail rate unchanged; the score boost to those who passed pacifies the vociferous crowd in the top half...the failures can be as loud as the top half, but their voice falls on deaf ears.

594 to 695, I think the best thing about this is not having to explain "why the drop in step 2, are you clinically ******ed?"

i failed ...my score dropped 20 points....and for those who have failed, remember, just keep pushing and don't give up. and for those who had an increase in their scores like most of my classmates, great work, and be proud of yourselves. your hard work has paid off.