COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I did finish about 90% of Uworld throughout the year and got a measly 50%. Our shelf exams were NBME so I haven't done much OMM at all.

Did you not find the OMM questions on COMBANK useful? I have found COMBANK to be pretty useful for some of the nitty gritty detail questions. I've currently finished half of it in like 2 weeks. I like how they take things out from different review books.

Congrats on finsihing btw, did you read the saverse or just do the omm questions to prepare for omm?

For my test OMM wasn't really an issue. I just felt they were similar to comquest more, but if you have the time I would do both off them. I did Saverese as well, in the last few days before the test. My test was a few months ago, I graduated already but thought I should response cause we get very limited info about CE on this forum.

I KNOW that this question has been asking 1,000 times so forgive me to posting it again but.....I've been doing some of the 2011 DIT Step 2 lectures and they are taking way too long and just adding some random material to Step Up. I'm deciding to stop the lectures and just read Step Up and read the MTB book and start using COMBANK. taking my exam July 31st.

Thoughts? I'd really appreciate it! DIT for Step 1 was helpful and helped with my score so I guess I am just nervous about not doing them for Step 2

I didn't use DIT because I didn't find it useful for step 1, it was just boring doing exercises. You whatever book you have been using and do combank along with it.

I also would recommend to both of you to take a COMSAE exam B or C, to see where you are. I know its not as accurate as NBME exams but still you kind of want to know where you are, I did mine about a month before my test and my real test scores were higher. I guess the comsae kind of motivated to study more.

Concentrate on OBGYN to both off you is the last think I would recommend.

I KNOW that this question has been asking 1,000 times so forgive me to posting it again but.....I've been doing some of the 2011 DIT Step 2 lectures and they are taking way too long and just adding some random material to Step Up. I'm deciding to stop the lectures and just read Step Up and read the MTB book and start using COMBANK. taking my exam July 31st.

Thoughts? I'd really appreciate it! DIT for Step 1 was helpful and helped with my score so I guess I am just nervous about not doing them for Step 2
I have been using onlinemeded.org. In my opinion, much better than DIT and most of the videos are pretty short. I like having a videos to supplement reading at times, especially for things I'm weaker in. I've definitely gotten several combank and comquest questions correct specifically from what I learned on onlinemeded.

So basically my point is, I'm sure you'll be fine without DIT, but if you are an audio learner and want some shorter videos to use as needed I'd check out onlinemeded.

Sounds like a good plan. I read FA 2 times, MTB 1.5 and did UWorld for no reason. FA is too long, but Step yo would have been more appropriate and would have not wasted so much of my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took comsae A.. 313.. got only 4 weeks left.. any tips on what I can focus on to improve (I did good in OMM, OB/GYN).. shocked right now.. 313! I been studying too.. is Comsae A a good evaluator compared to Comsae B or Comsae C?

Hey SMC123, Comsae's are notoriously wild and 313 can be a fluke...Id try doing a harder qbank like UW and maybe even just reading one of the books like MTB or Step up Step 2 for two weeks and then take COMSAE B to see where you at.

I just took comsae A.. 313.. got only 4 weeks left.. any tips on what I can focus on to improve (I did good in OMM, OB/GYN).. shocked right now.. 313! I been studying too.. is Comsae A a good evaluator compared to Comsae B or Comsae C?

Hey SMC123, Comsae's are notoriously wild and 313 can be a fluke...Id try doing a harder qbank like UW and maybe even just reading one of the books like MTB or Step up Step 2 for two weeks and then take COMSAE B to see where you at.

I would hope it is a fluke. It seemed like the Comsae was very well balanced in all subject matters, not real big on key areas like OMM or OB/Gyn, which I would expect the real test to be like?

Comsae A is out dated and would recommend not bother taking much of it with a grain of salt. With that said and even though Comsae's are a fluke at a 313 you have some work to do my friend, I wouldn't put too much faith into how wildly inaccurate your score is becuase at 313 you are missing some fundamentals for sure. I'm also sure it's nothing that 4 weeks of hard studying can't solve.

Reactions: 1 users
For my test OMM wasn't really an issue. I just felt they were similar to comquest more, but if you have the time I would do both off them. I did Saverese as well, in the last few days before the test. My test was a few months ago, I graduated already but thought I should response cause we get very limited info about CE on this forum.

I didn't use DIT because I didn't find it useful for step 1, it was just boring doing exercises. You whatever book you have been using and do combank along with it.

I also would recommend to both of you to take a COMSAE exam B or C, to see where you are. I know its not as accurate as NBME exams but still you kind of want to know where you are, I did mine about a month before my test and my real test scores were higher. I guess the comsae kind of motivated to study more.

Concentrate on OBGYN to both off you is the last think I would recommend.
WonderyBoy - what was your COMSAE B and actually COMLEX score if you don't mind?

WonderyBoy - what was your COMSAE B and actually COMLEX score if you don't mind?

I went up 50 points after a month of studying and scored around the average. BUT I have read of people going down and up, just keep working and fight for your score on the test, don't take what comsae says for granted. The question length on the real test were similar to comsae length questions, I read other people say that they had really long stems, I probably had like 5 really long stems on the whole test.

I wish I could tell you guys there is some real correlation with comsae and comlex like there is for NBME and USMLE but there isn't one like that from what I have read and heard from classmates. It can give you a good idea maybe that you are heading in the right direction though.

Obviously this is going to be a difficult question to answer, but I'm 700 questions in to comquest and I've got a 72% average. Test is in one week, shooting for 550 (that was my score last year). I start working this week again so I won't have all day to study. Should I just keep my test date and cram as hard as I can for the next week? Or put it off because its too much of a gamble? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
1400 uworld before switching to comquest. 68% average on uworld, but I haven't done it in at least a week.

Been through MTB like 3 times this year, twice in the past month. Use FA for subjects I'm weak in. Probably gonna get through 3/4 of MTB again focusing on my weak points.

Took it today, was unpleasantly surprised by how difficult it was. Step 1 COMLEX was a breeze for me, so this was kind of a shock to me. Not as hard as the USMLE a couple days ago, but very difficult nonetheless.

I am now starting to think that I was not as prepared as I thought I was, but to be honest, I don't know what other resource would be best.

I did well on Step 1 and now I am really expecting to do worse on step 2 which is going to be really uncomfortable explaining to interviewers..

ask if you have any questions, too tired to make a full write up. Just a few points:

-apparently bioterrorism is super high yield
-know OMM of lower extremities (stuff I had never heard of)
-alot of detailed ID stuff on q fever etc
-really light on ob/gyn, but YMMV
-time is not an issue for me
-cranial super easy
-about 1/3 of exam is those multi-part questions but they were the easier ones
-1/2 of questions had some part of OMM in it, but pure OMM was like 10-15% of test
-pure OMM questions were pretty tough, savarese and combank were not enough. Had lots of stuff I didn't learn during preclinical yrs (not stuff I learned and then forgot, but stuff I definitely have not seen before)

now for a long 6-8 weeks to see what the damage is.

so what was on your test? lol.. if omm was only 10-15% and it was light on ob/gyn.. what made up the 90%?

Hey guys So i took comsae form C and form B back to back to sort of simulate a
real comlex experience for me today and I got a 550 on form C and a
416 on Form B.

I'm not sure what to make of this at all. I have my exam on July 10th
and I feel like I'm not getting a real idea of my weak spots. I have
done COMQUEST 1X and I feel like while its good, COMBANK might yield
me some of this weird questions that pop up on the test.

The EKG and fetal heart rate tracings on the COMSAE suck btw.

I'm ideally hoping to get above 500+ as I need to improve over my
level 1 score of 468.

Thanks for any tips. Going to start work soon and Auditions in
September for Neuro so time will be limited lol! Also, gotta get that
PE done on July 22nd ugh! :(

Took it today, was unpleasantly surprised by how difficult it was. Step 1 COMLEX was a breeze for me, so this was kind of a shock to me. Not as hard as the USMLE a couple days ago, but very difficult nonetheless.

I am now starting to think that I was not as prepared as I thought I was, but to be honest, I don't know what other resource would be best.

I did well on Step 1 and now I am really expecting to do worse on step 2 which is going to be really uncomfortable explaining to interviewers..

ask if you have any questions, too tired to make a full write up. Just a few points:

-cranial super easy
-1/2 of questions had some part of OMM in it, but pure OMM was like 10-15% of test
-pure OMM questions were pretty tough, savarese and combank were not enough. Had lots of stuff I didn't learn during preclinical yrs (not stuff I learned and then forgot, but stuff I definitely have not seen before)

Someone above also said 6-8 weeks for the scores, but why am I seeing 8-10 weeks on the NBOME webiste. I would really like to be wrong on this.

Someone above also said 6-8 weeks for the scores, but why am I seeing 8-10 weeks on the NBOME webiste. I would really like to be wrong on this.

Oh i only said that bc someone in this thread said 6-8. If nbome says 8-10 then i bet thats how long it will take

So.. Wont get it till mid sept..

-cranial super easy

I took it yesterday as well. I"m glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit challenging. I felt the questions that were in groups (toward the end of sections) were easier than the individual questions. I have no idea how I did though. Scored a 530 on Comsae C and had a 74% combank avg. This really sucks because if I don't do well on this exam I'll have to settle for a less competitive specialty even though my level 1 score is decent.

-cranial super easy

^ Exactly. I had no problem with Level 1 and did well. But my COMLEX today was a different story (well summarized above). I also don't know what else I could have studied. May as well have taken the exam last month. I took COMSAE C a few weeks ago and got a 620. (It only took me 1.5 hrs for the COMSAE). The COMLEX today had MUCH longer question stems (2+ paragraphs) and took me almost the entire time. Oh well... let the wait for my score begin.....

Hey guys I took Comsae B today and got a 440. I am not sure if this details that I have a major void in my medical knowledge or what. But I went over FA for step 2 last week and have done 60% of combank. I have a relatively easier rotation this month so I should be able to get more done than before where I was absolutely worked on rotations.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404501009.344513.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404501020.280309.jpg
I've attached my score break down and was wondering if you fine folks wouldn't mind advising me on how to improve on some of the "patient presentation" and "physician task" subsections on which I got hammered on. I have a month before my exam btw.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hey quick question for you folks.
I have my exam this week and what I have noticed on my practice COMSAE's and even on COMBANk/COMQUEST is that I am seeing some really awful looking EKG's and CT images. I was wondering if there is a place you guys recommend going to a few days before the exam to review them? The ones in Step up are pretty clean, but I was literally baffled on some questions lol

Good luck ya'll! :)

So, 1 day before my exam, I have done COMBANK 1x and COMQUEST 2x, I am just doing random questions from both sets now and looking over notes I took ALL Day tomorrow and tonight. Any weird things I can quickly read up on that seems high yield but isn't in prep books!? I know it's last minute but just thought I'd ask for some feedback! THANKS!

So, 1 day before my exam, I have done COMBANK 1x and COMQUEST 2x, I am just doing random questions from both sets now and looking over notes I took ALL Day tomorrow and tonight. Any weird things I can quickly read up on that seems high yield but isn't in prep books!? I know it's last minute but just thought I'd ask for some feedback! THANKS!

Bolded is what makes up 40% of the test. Took it today and there was so much minutiae I wanted to throw my keyboard at the testing center employees. Typical comlex crap: super vague, minutiae no review source has, tricky wording, etc. I did not feel like it reflected my medical knowledge fairly. I might as well have used nursing books for cardio, pulm, and psych so that was nice. Regardless if I end up doing well, I thought my test was crap.

Breakdown: Lots of GI, ob/gyn, nephrology/GU and of course OMM. KNOW OMM INSIDE AND OUT. Seriously, all the OMM questions were easy points if you took the time to learn the stuff. Nothing tricky. Lots of sacrum dx, rib dx and treatment, viscerosomatics, minimal cranial for me and LOADS of Chapman's points. For the love of god, do not punt Chapman's points.

Does anyone know what the scoring is supposed to be like for Level 2? Like for USMLE, it seems like people get a higher score on Step 2 mainly because it's more clinically oriented? Is that true for COMLEX as well?

Thanks also to everyone for sharing your experiences on the exam!

Bolded is what makes up 40% of the test. Took it today and there was so much minutiae I wanted to throw my keyboard at the testing center employees. Typical comlex crap: super vague, minutiae no review source has, tricky wording, etc. I did not feel like it reflected my medical knowledge fairly. I might as well have used nursing books for cardio, pulm, and psych so that was nice. Regardless if I end up doing well, I thought my test was crap.

my experience exactly. i was shaking my head at the computer and trying not to flip it off at times :arghh:

Breakdown: Lots of GI, ob/gyn, nephrology/GU and of course OMM. KNOW OMM INSIDE AND OUT. Seriously, all the OMM questions were easy points if you took the time to learn the stuff. Nothing tricky. Lots of sacrum dx, rib dx and treatment, viscerosomatics, minimal cranial for me and LOADS of Chapman's points. For the love of god, do not punt Chapman's points.

Where does everyone study chapmans points? Just savarese? I know that there are a million, ugh.

Ive used this for all of my OMM exams and COMAT and COMLEX I---it was easier for me to read this than a list if this helps!

10494703_10152665963162494_3992124181208675728_n.jpg
1909635_10152665963477494_9046203038999675091_n.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I have a lighter office based rotation next month and was thinking about changing my date to get a few more days (from aug 4 to aug 14) to help...was wondering if you guys think this is a good idea? as sick of studying as I am, I did poorly on level 1 so I definitely need to improve. thanks

I have a lighter office based rotation next month and was thinking about changing my date to get a few more days (from aug 4 to aug 14) to help...was wondering if you guys think this is a good idea? as sick of studying as I am, I did poorly on level 1 so I definitely need to improve. thanks

Gotta do it if you don't feel ready. I was killing uworld and was going to read savarese the night before and take the test. Took Comsae D and got a 442. Was aiming for 600 initially, but I will gladly take a 550 now. I'd push it back if you're not comfortable, just make sure to peak at the correct time.

Last edited:
Comsae D? I didn't know there was such a thing

Only schools have that exam. Our school made us take Comsae D this year and last year. I suppose it isn't a bad thing since less people on places like SDN will be able to tell you what is on the test. That way you get an actual look at how ready you are to guess on 400 questions.

Last edited:
So what I'm hearing from ppl who have taken this exam within the last two weeks is that there is little to no hope? I scored mid 500's a week ago on B, done all of combank and comquest. I was planning on just redoing combank and reading Sav for the rest of this week, my exam is on the 17th. Any input to what direction I should be going? Should I focus more on combank ? Read MTB or secrets (, I've been skimming them both)? Or just stop studying and start drinking?

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that have taken the test, would you recommend doing the questions in the back of Saverse, or was Combank Comquest sufficient in answering most of OMM questions (the doable ones)?

Those images are legit, I had one of those Chapman points that is in that book that isn't in Saverese....missed the question because it wasn't in the green book.

whats your your guys take on only using secrets with both comquest combank and green book?

Comquest is sufficient for OMM.

Bustedgrill, focus on your weaknesses and just maintain your strengths.

On the actual test, has anyone encountered peds questions referring to T-cell B-cell disorders? Such as Hyper IgM.. DiGeorge.. X-linked agammaglobulinemia.. I noticed theres really no such questions pertaining to them in the questions banks so just curious...

Does anyone know what the changes are for the scoring for CE? Are they raising the pass threshold or just releasing new tests?

Reactions: 1 user