COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

On the actual test, has anyone encountered peds questions referring to T-cell B-cell disorders? Such as Hyper IgM.. DiGeorge.. X-linked agammaglobulinemia.. I noticed theres really no such questions pertaining to them in the questions banks so just curious...
I think I had one.

Does anyone know what the changes are for the scoring for CE? Are they raising the pass threshold or just releasing new tests?
I know they released a new exam. That's what it says on the NBOME website. I've heard others say that scores always drop after a new exam is released. Not good for us..

well seems like the people who just took it have had similar high yield topics to the ones before

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam yesterday! The stems felt a lot longer than last years. I almost ran out of time on every single question and I've always had plenty of time left! So be aware of that I felt like all my long stems came at the ends of sections so I was really pressed for time!
I mostly used combank for preparation and I thought it was a decent mix of things. I did have a lot of peds, ob, and omt like most people say. But I also had the wide variety mix of random wtf things too? Some of the stuff they choose to test is such low yield and can not be found anywhere. I used step up medicine which was more than enough for the medicine. Definitely know management what's best next step or what to order etc. my omt was kind of strange they mixed it in with apt of medicine and then would ask vague stuff not even in savarese. I was pulling some knowledge for questions from movies/shows/ life ... Not sure what this exam is really testing, but didn't feel like medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a quick question regarding OMT and Savarese. How important is knowing the actual treatment steps for muscle energey and hVLA (Ch 15,16). I don't remember any real treatment questions in Comlex 1, wasn't sure if they are new in Comlex 2. (Noticed a couple in Combank hence I'm asking)

I had a quick question regarding OMT and Savarese. How important is knowing the actual treatment steps for muscle energey and hVLA (Ch 15,16). I don't remember any real treatment questions in Comlex 1, wasn't sure if they are new in Comlex 2. (Noticed a couple in Combank hence I'm asking)

Rib muscle energy was high yield. Decent amount of HVLA, mainly sacrum.

Is COMBANK really representative of how the test will be? I'm doing it now and I am getting a lot of questions wrong simply because there is information there that is not in any review book I've seen. How well do you have to do on COMBANK to feel good about taking the test?

Any recs for what to put on your white board during the tutorial? I know it's individualized for everyone and without giving away what was on the test, any general ideas of what might be helpful? I know I am definitely writing down that viscerosomatic mnemonic,

why cant they give away what was on the test? dont be such a gunner life is short

Reactions: 1 users
I was pulling some knowledge for questions from movies/shows/ life ... Not sure what this exam is really testing, but didn't feel like medicine.
This was very much my experience too

know the reasoning, I think because different schools teach techniques slightly differently, they don't test details. So know that for direct techniques you go into the barrier, stuff like that

Is COMBANK really representative of how the test will be? I'm doing it now and I am getting a lot of questions wrong simply because there is information there that is not in any review book I've seen. How well do you have to do on COMBANK to feel good about taking the test?
that part is pretty representative.

Any recs for what to put on your white board during the tutorial? I know it's individualized for everyone and without giving away what was on the test, any general ideas of what might be helpful? I know I am definitely writing down that viscerosomatic mnemonic,
I drew the 2x2 square for biostats, and then wrote the chapmans points

then later on any time I look up any lab value, I write it down, like CSF stuff

for those of you that used secrets and step up to step 2, is there anything in secrets that isnt in step up? trying to determine if I should utilize secrets with a week or so left. (noticed biostats has some extra stuff)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the viscerosomatic mnemonic? :)

As I semi-stated before (directed at CrileDO), Savarese is not sufficient for OMM in my opinion. I did not use combank, but I have to believe it is similar to comquest in that I had the same experience on the OMM questions on the question banks. All that junk you see on combank for OMM can be on the test. Most of it is in Savarese, but things like cranial and Chapman's points are definitely lacking. I had probably 20 Chapman's points questions, only a couple of which were in Savarese. Less than half of the cranial questions I had could be answered by Savarese, but I really think I only had like 6-8 cranial questions.

Comquest/ combank do them both, I thought combank was more representative but comquest is more vague. Stems are longer than both on real. Omt you need to know cranial and chapmans points are mentioned a lot in questions which helps you figure it out. I skimmed secrets and didn't see much of a difference from step up medicine. I would hit peds hard though. Not sure what a good source is for that one.

I saw this post from COMBANK back in 2010 when NBOME re-evaluated pass/fail standards last time. Let's hope the change this time doesn't result in only 84% of examiners passing....
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nbome-to-change-comlex-pass-fail-standards.694649/

On behalf of our team at COMBANK, we feel the following information is essential for anyone who has recently taken (or is planning to take) the COMLEX. We have been informed that changes have been made over the past year which may have affected the performances of many students who recently took the COMLEX Level 2 CE. Our staff is also being told that more changes are on the horizon. As your testing advocates, we feel this is information YOU need to know.

Every four years or so, national board examinations undergo a formal assessment process which reviews and resets their examination pass/fail thresholds. Over the past year the NBOME has undergone a standard setting review resulting in a significant change in pass rates amongst Level 2 CE candidates. Over the next year we will likely see further adjustments in performance settings. The Standard Setting Committee for Level 3 has already met to discuss a new pass/fail standard, and a review will be taking place for Level 1 in early 2010.

Since the most recent establishment of the pass/fail standards for the computer-based COMLEX (all levels included) in 2005, the average pass rates for first-time examinees taking the COMLEX Level 2 CE were between 92-94 percent. Changes to the standard settings in March of 2009 have resulted in a lowered pass rate of 84 percent thus far. Therefore, many students having lower scores, or possibly even failing scores, may have passed with increased 3-digit scores in previous years. It is difficult to compare the Level 2 CE scores of 2009 to those of recent years, and prospective residency programs should be informed of this since the passage rate is so much lower.

We will be implementing several analytic features into COMBANK that will allow our users to assess their likely performance on the COMLEX under the new standard setting guidelines. We now have data from a user-base of over 15,000 Osteopathic students and residents that is being implemented to predict COMLEX scores based solely on COMLEX scores. These are a few examples of many exciting features that will make COMBANK the only testing system needed for students taking the COMLEX in 2010. COMBANK is proud to serve as YOUR advocate, and we will continue to work to bring you the most relevant database of questions in your mission to succeed on the COMLEX. We look forward to working with you in 2010.

Sincerely,
COMBANK Administrative Team

I just took this test yesterday... it was insane hard. I scored a 630 on COMSAE D the Saturday before my COMLEX on Friday, and I felt like COMSAE D was NOTHING like the COMLEX 2.

Tons of vague questions, tons of minutiae, tons of random ethics questions...

Questions stems were much longer than COMLEX 1 or COMBANK or COMSAE. Time management was not an issue for Level 1 for me but it was for this exam.

I went through UW 2x, read Savarese, and finished about 80% of COMBANK throughout the year.

• COMLEX-USA Level 2-Cognitive Evaluation: The standard will be revisited in 2013-2014 and a new standard will likely be implemented with the new testing cycle in June 2014.
http://www.nbome.org/standardsetting_faq.asp

Sigh... great.
My understanding of the website was a new "pass/fail" standard not a necessarily a "new test." Was there somewhere else on the site that mentioned "new test" or implementation of new questions? Or just "new standard" fits the "new test" theory?

IMO, I still thought Uworld/USMLE Step 2 ck questions were longer and harder. Felt better coming out of COMLEX end of June than I did USMLE. Same way with Step 1.

For new test takers, if you have time, do UWORLD then Combank and/or Comquest. Don't have time, then do Combank or Comquest. This is a tried and true approach I'm probably repeating for the 1000th time.

Be encouraged...USMLE Step 2 actually turned out fine for me despite the very common post-test "awful'"feeling. I am sure Comlex will turn out fine as well. Find out early August.

If your freaking out from this thread, either don't read this thread or don't read too much into this thread. Stick with your guns and good luck!

Anybody gotten a score back yet? If so, how did you prepare?

Based on when the first exam was offered it would be impossible for anyone to have their score back yet. The first batch of scores will not be released until the first week of August as it states on the NBOME website previously linked in an earlier post.

My understanding of the website was a new "pass/fail" standard not a necessarily a "new test." Was there somewhere else on the site that mentioned "new test" or implementation of new questions? Or just "new standard" fits the "new test" theory?

IMO, I still thought Uworld/USMLE Step 2 ck questions were longer and harder. Felt better coming out of COMLEX end of June than I did USMLE. Same way with Step 1.

For new test takers, if you have time, do UWORLD then Combank and/or Comquest. Don't have time, then do Combank or Comquest. This is a tried and true approach I'm probably repeating for the 1000th time.

Be encouraged...USMLE Step 2 actually turned out fine for me despite the very common post-test "awful'"feeling. I am sure Comlex will turn out fine as well. Find out early August.

If your freaking out from this thread, either don't read this thread or don't read too much into this thread. Stick with your guns and good luck!

Eagle, I also got my USMLE score back after being very nervous about it. I'm surprisingly happy with my score and congrats to you as well. I'm really curious to see how comlex pans out...

I just took this test yesterday... it was insane hard. I scored a 630 on COMSAE D the Saturday before my COMLEX on Friday, and I felt like COMSAE D was NOTHING like the COMLEX 2.

Tons of vague questions, tons of minutiae, tons of random ethics questions...

Questions stems were much longer than COMLEX 1 or COMBANK or COMSAE. Time management was not an issue for Level 1 for me but it was for this exam.

I went through UW 2x, read Savarese, and finished about 80% of COMBANK throughout the year.

^ EXACTLY

Took COMLEX 7/1...anyone get back any scores? I remember level 1 came back in 3 weeks...I know website says Aug 5th but just wondering if anyone heard back earlier?

Took COMLEX 7/1...anyone get back any scores? I remember level 1 came back in 3 weeks...I know website says Aug 5th but just wondering if anyone heard back earlier?
apparently it's going to take 8-10 weeks for scores to get back, contrary to what that chart says on the NBOME website. they may be "re-examining" the pass/fail for COMLEX.

apparently it's going to take 8-10 weeks for scores to get back, contrary to what that chart says on the NBOME website. they may be "re-examining" the pass/fail for COMLEX.

How do you know this? When they post the dates online, don't they already take this into account.

Someone posted these videos on the osteopathic forum. They seem really helpful for the OMM viscerosomatics and Chapmans points:

Anyone use the highlighting feature during COMLEX? I wish it was intuitive as the USMLE, but not sure if its even worth the time using the feature in COMLEX.

nbome practice tests? to do or not to do?

I'm going to do 1 or 2. Although I don't think they're super predictive of the questions you might see on test day, I do think that if you pass the practice with a 450 or so, then you can feel ok that you'll pass the real thing.

And now the dreaded week before scores release begins. Anybody have a general idea of what time scores are available? They send an email right?

I can't even remember from Step 1 what time they post scores or send an email. I like the whole "Wednesday at 10" with USMLE. Maybe Comlex should do a standard "Tuesday at 2" or "double deuces". How appropriate....deuces to Comlex 2.

And now the dreaded week before scores release begins. Anybody have a general idea of what time scores are available? They send an email right?

You mean "the dreaded week before a possible two week time frame of releasing our scores begins". It now says scores will be available sometime between August 5th-18th. I could have swore it used to say August 5th-12th.

What a dumb test. There is literally no possible way to study. I went through all of the big name review books dit uworld comlex combank and they did not help at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm taking the COMLEX in a week and I'm not really studying. I'm going to review a few OMM topics that I threw out of my brain after level 1 but that's it. I'm only applying to 1 AOA program and they're not going to care much about my score as long as I don't fail. I'm just over it. I know it's going to be a crappy test just like level 1 and I just can't bring myself to study for it.

The kids that took step 1 earlier this month already have their score. I'm guessing those who took step 2 in between the two windows (May 21 to June 25) have already gotten their scores. Was reading a score release thread from a few years ago and it seems like scores came out on a Friday in the AM. August 5th is a Tuesday though.

There was no testing between May 21st and June 25th. They broke testing and there is a delay in testing due to collecting data to set a new pass/fail rate as previously mentioned in this thread. Evidently this is something they do every 4 years or so.

I sincerely hope there was testing on June 25 as that's when I took mine and it better not have been a ghost exam =P. I can tell you I have not yet gotten my score

So I'm sick of reading and have done all of comquest and combank, so thought I'd check out the free nbome test, just to feel somewhat productive before bed.

Anyway, the question was:
A 7 year old presents with a lobar pneumonia in the right middle lung, where would somatic dysfunction primarily be?

The answer is T2-T4 on the left.

I know my brain is fried and it doesn't give explanations, so why is it on the left?

I sincerely hope there was testing on June 25 as that's when I took mine and it better not have been a ghost exam =P. I can tell you I have not yet gotten my score
I took it June 25th, I used the term between to not include the two end range dates.

Anyone else getting nervous AF about scores releasing this week. The future of my career literally depends on this.

So I'm sick of reading and have done all of comquest and combank, so thought I'd check out the free nbome test, just to feel somewhat productive before bed.

Anyway, the question was:
A 7 year old presents with a lobar pneumonia in the right middle lung, where would somatic dysfunction primarily be?

The answer is T2-T4 on the left.

I know my brain is fried and it doesn't give explanations, so why is it on the left?
LOL i thought the same thing...we're not the crazy ones...I saw a couple on there that I thought were definitely wrong! It's sad when the actual NBOME website can't make the effort to provide correct answers