Official 2014 Post-Interview Communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is well known that UCSF requires Step 2CK/CS score reports for applicants to be ranked.
My suggestion would be that it depends on how highly you liked UCSF and how high you think they'd rank you. It might not be worth worsening your chances at other institutions just so that they get your CK score.

As someone else mentioned, see if they'll accept a copy of your score outside of ERAS. 

Members don't see this ad.

Heard recently from Columbia that I'm ranked to match. No scramble for me, I'm going to be a real doctor! Probably!

For UCSF, anyone know how to send them my Step 2 results without just releasing them to all programs in ERAS?

Yeah just heard from Columbia late last week as well. Grateful! And congrats!! Still no word from the other programs, though I know at least 2 of the 3 are notorious for not initiating any RTM-like communication.

Anyone hear anything from Penn besides the quick post interview email from the PD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing from Penn, or most programs actually. I did get the Stanford chair's call about a week ago, cautiously optimistic that it has some meaning.

Boy, this whole waiting thing stinks.

Nothing from Penn, or most programs actually. I did get the Stanford chair's call about a week ago, cautiously optimistic that it has some meaning.

Boy, this whole waiting thing stinks.

How could it not? He tells you precisely where you're ranked.

How could it not? He tells you precisely where you're ranked.
Hm, he didn't tell me where I was ranked, just said I'd "be a good fit" or something to that effect. Have other people been told where they are ranked?

Anyone heard from MCW or University of Michigan (besides the generic email from the chiefs)?

Hm, he didn't tell me where I was ranked, just said I'd "be a good fit" or something to that effect. Have other people been told where they are ranked?

It seems he says something slightly different to each voicemail. Someone I met on the interview trail got one that said "You are in the top 24" mine was a lot more ambiguous ... but i think having the voicemail is a very positive thing if you look back at previous threads on post-interview communication.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything recently from mgh or washu?

Chair from UCSF just sent an email to my friend and I today.

Has anyone heard anything recently from mgh or washu?

After interviewing at washu - I got an emailed letter from one of the interviewers asking if I liked them or not. Also I just got one about a week ago from the same person telling me to keep them in mind.

Has anyone heard from any of the Texas schools?

After interviewing at washu - I got an emailed letter from one of the interviewers asking if I liked them or not. Also I just got one about a week ago from the same person telling me to keep them in mind.

Has anyone heard from any of the Texas schools?

Similar experience here from Wash U. I have heard from Scott and White and Baylor fairly recently (also interviewed at UTSW and San Antonio).

I saw someone earlier say something about UAB...anyone elsehear anything from them recently? I got a letter almost immediately after I interviewed, but nothing since.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA email, saying their rank list finalized and encouraging words.

Similar experience here from Wash U. I have heard from Scott and White and Baylor fairly recently (also interviewed at UTSW and San Antonio).

I saw someone earlier say something about UAB...anyone elsehear anything from them recently? I got a letter almost immediately after I interviewed, but nothing since.

You got an email from Baylor?? Is it an update of your new hospital or it's about ranking preference?

I received "love letters" from Buffalo, CCF and Baystate.

I got a signed letter from the PD at Tufts, anyone else get it too?

Email from program director of UAB today

UCLA email, saying their rank list finalized and encouraging words.

was this a "top candidate" email? I wonder how much value something like that actually has. Can anyone comment?

was this a "top candidate" email? I wonder how much value something like that actually has. Can anyone comment?

Yes something along those lines wording was "our rank list is done" and "one of our strongest candidates". None of these are binding but obviously if they are selective then its a good sign if you get one and that is where you want to go. I know someone who matched at UCLA two years ago and never got this email so it doesn't mean its game over. Also, of other applicants i've met on the trail that I have kept in touch with, 3 others got this email and UCLA is not their top choices (Stanford/UCSF/MGH).

On a side note it seems applicants that I ran into on the trail multiple times seem to have MGH/BW/UCSF/Stanford (there is a probably a bias as I didn't apply much east coast) as their top 4 this year but all in different order. So I think there will be a lot of spots at all programs as everyone has their own reasons for choosing different programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes something along those lines wording was "our rank list is done" and "one of our strongest candidates". None of these are binding but obviously if they are selective then its a good sign if you get one and that is where you want to go. I know someone who matched at UCLA two years ago and never got this email so it doesn't mean its game over. Also, of other applicants i've met on the trail that I have kept in touch with, 3 others got this email and UCLA is not their top choices (Stanford/UCSF/MGH).

On a side note it seems applicants that I ran into on the trail multiple times seem to have MGH/BW/UCSF/Stanford (there is a probably a bias as I didn't apply much east coast) as their top 4 this year but all in different order. So I think there will be a lot of spots at all programs as everyone has their own reasons for choosing different programs.

It sounds like programs who are selectively emailing people are targeting those ranked to match or close, kind of like how most of us are sending no more than 1 love letter. The way information is so accessible these days, if a program emailed half their list saying promising stuff and then filled before hitting the people they emailed, word would get out about shady recruiting tactics and their emails would lose their power. The thing about a love letter is it only works if you believe it's true and feel like a program really wants you.

Glad to hear someone matched at a program after hearing nothing from them, since a lot of us are getting radio-silence right now.

Glad to hear someone matched at a program after hearing nothing from them, since a lot of us are getting radio-silence right now.

I agree that we should take all post-interview communication with a grain of salt and that silence from a given residency does not necessarily mean your chances of matching there are slim. That being said, I would also suggest that there is a lot of post-interview communication going on that isn't being posted in this forum. On one hand, I'd like to put the information out there if it will somehow inform applicant who read these threads. On the other hand, I'm pretty terrified that doing so will somehow compromise my standing with residencies who have sent the post-interview communication. Not sure how to get around this issue, particularly in light of the fact that anonymity can be compromised by posting certain identifying information (e.g. which residencies have communicated with you - particularly if you post on the same day they've contacted you, board scores, etc...) especially since anyone can look at your entire posting history when they click your profile.

I know this post is not particularly helpful or comforting, but I just wanted to throw it out there. I'd love to be transparent but I also fear the potential unknown repercussions. Not worth it IMO. :shrug:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I agree that we should take all post-interview communication with a grain of salt and that silence from a given residency does not necessarily mean your chances of matching there are slim. That being said, I would also suggest that there is a lot of post-interview communication going on that isn't being posted in this forum. On one hand, I'd like to put the information out there if it will somehow inform applicant who read these threads. On the other hand, I'm pretty terrified that doing so will somehow compromise my standing with residencies who have sent the post-interview communication. Not sure how to get around this issue, particularly in light of the fact that anonymity can be compromised by posting certain identifying information (e.g. which residencies have communicated with you - particularly if you post on the same day they've contacted you, board scores, etc...) especially since anyone can look at your entire posting history when they click your profile.

I know this post is not particularly helpful or comforting, but I just wanted to throw it out there. I'd love to be transparent but I also fear the potential unknown repercussions. Not worth it IMO. :shrug:

I don't know if it's allowed, but you can always create a new account. 

I don't know if it's allowed, but you can always create a new account. 
I generally PM people with identifying information like that. Maybe indicate that you have received some post-interview communication but only go into details in PMs with those that are interested.

I think posting about a program contacting you is only damaging if you follow it up with something derisive; outside of that, there's no applicant-program confidentiality clause, and really we're all just trying to help each other out by passing on information. Plus, once a program has been spoken for, then enough has been said and not everyone who was contacted needs to pipe up; I'm sure we'd mostly be interested to hear if a program hasn't been mentioned yet.

I reached out to several people I met on the trail who interviewed at similar programs as me, as well as classmates, and there wasn't anything more than what's been called out already on here. It's not a big enough sample size to quantify how much communication is going on overall, but it does make me feel that I'm not dead-in-the-water for hearing very little from said programs. You can also compare it to last year's thread - MGH is the only one from last year who hasn't been mentioned this year (from what I saw).

1) Same suggestion as always: rank in order of your preference ignoring abundance/lack of post-interview communication.
2) Don't get your heart set on a particular program, because you never know what will happen. PDs have posted about how they will often match to candidates they don't expect. Anything can happen.
3) Get your list in early, because it does take some time to certify the list.

Good luck to all!

About MGH, I got a few emails from them soon after the interview, but haven't heard from them since. Just FYI.

1) Same suggestion as always: rank in order of your preference ignoring abundance/lack of post-interview communication.
2) Don't get your heart set on a particular program, because you never know what will happen. PDs have posted about how they will often match to candidates they don't expect. Anything can happen.
3) Get your list in early, because it does take some time to certify the list.

Good luck to all!

Not sure what you meant by "it takes some time to certify the list". Is there something here I am overlooking. Seemed pretty straightforward. Click certify and enter your password. Am I missing something?

If you log in an hour or few minutes before it's due and make changes, and if the site goes down from traffic or some other issue.....you're SOL. Plus last minute changes probably aren't well thought out.

I think posting about a program contacting you is only damaging if you follow it up with something derisive; outside of that, there's no applicant-program confidentiality clause, and really we're all just trying to help each other out by passing on information. Plus, once a program has been spoken for, then enough has been said and not everyone who was contacted needs to pipe up; I'm sure we'd mostly be interested to hear if a program hasn't been mentioned yet.

I reached out to several people I met on the trail who interviewed at similar programs as me, as well as classmates, and there wasn't anything more than what's been called out already on here. It's not a big enough sample size to quantify how much communication is going on overall, but it does make me feel that I'm not dead-in-the-water for hearing very little from said programs. You can also compare it to last year's thread - MGH is the only one from last year who hasn't been mentioned this year (from what I saw).

Gotcha. Thanks for all the insights everyone! I'm overly paranoid so I think I'll just wait to post about RTM communication until after Match Day. That way, at least the information could be helpful for next year's applicants.

anyone hear anything from UT houston? ohio schools? UF gainesville or UNC?

deciding which to put higher... UF gainesville vs CASE western.... anyone has input?
thanks

deciding which to put higher... UF gainesville vs CASE western.... anyone has input?
thanks

the climates and cities could not possibly be more different. I have no idea how that wouldnt sway you to one over the other.

Just in case it hasn't been said. Do not put too much stock into post interview communication. It means nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just in case it hasn't been said. Do not put too much stock into post interview communication. It means nothing.
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's clear that it doesn't mean everything, but it's at least an indication that the program likes you.

So if you get a late stage email/call that says you're ranked highly, it's not a guarantee, but it's a good sign.

Alternately, if you don't get anything, you shouldn't read much into it. Data indicates that even good programs run 2-4x their number of slots down their rank list. So even if you're ranked #40 or #60 you have a chance to match into a top program.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear from NYC programs- Sinai, NYU or Cornell? I remember the PD at Sinai mentioning something about no post-interview contact...

Got a nice letter from UCSF last week, and MGH sent out a generic thank you/informational email recently.

I got a phone call from a program. I was kinda nervous, if I mumbled a lot of my words do you think they will change my position on there rank list???

Last edited:
C'mon guys. You all got into med school. You are all smart and intelligent. Mumbling on the phone or getting "communication" from a program post interview doesn't mean a darn thing. Rank places where you want to go, don't change anything based on some "communication" you received. Stop being so paranoid.

Haha the paranoid med student in me is re-surfacing ! I was doing so well so far being a lazy 4th year student.

Now that rank lists are in and done. If it helps next year this is unsolicited post-interview communication with "encouraging" words (not all mine but I've seen the emails that weren't to me to verify) in the last few weeks before match... please don't ask for exact wordage:

Columbia: email
JHU: call
BW: email
UCLA: email
MGH: call
UCSF: email
Stanford: call
UCSD: email
Penn: call
OHSU: email

I will add to this:

Baylor: email
Mayo MN: call
Duke: email

To add, places that notify their rank list via either email or call (please don't ask for more specifics)

Words "rank to match" used
MGH
BWH
Columbia
Stanford
WashU
Penn
Hopkins
Yale

Otherwise encouraging words (but not "RTM" and not mentioned in previous posts)
UCSF
UW
UChicago
Northwestern

UAB: email
San Antonio: call
Baylor: email
WashU: email
Scott and White: snail mail