Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been following this thread from the beginning and I also want to keep it going. Since I didn't join your ranks this year and reapplying, can any of you give me advice on how I should approach the "how can you contribute to the diversity of school X" essay. I don't have any special skills, so I was thinking about approaching this question by writing about my work experience. Is that a good approach?
That's my least favorite question. It doesn't necessarily have to be a special skill per se; have you had extensive experience in something? For example, since I started college I ended up doing a lot of teaching work from the elementary to college level. I talked about this for some of my secondaries if I felt I could bring it back to the mission of the school because it's something that a lot people probably can't claim. So I suppose I would start by looking at your application to see if there is anything that you concentrated on that makes you unique, and expand on that.

Members don't see this ad.

^ this. There is things that make you unique, and you just need to figure out what those are. People often try to limit what diversity means, but you can talk about almost ANYTHING if you approach it in the right way.

29 apps going in this cycle, this is going to be a lot worse than last year. At least this time I'm so jaded that I won't be under so much stress as last time - no more neurotic email checking, etc. I have made peace with the process haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^ this. There is things that make you unique, and you just need to figure out what those are. People often try to limit what diversity means, but you can talk about almost ANYTHING if you approach it in the right way.

29 apps going in this cycle, this is going to be a lot worse than last year. At least this time I'm so jaded that I won't be under so much stress as last time - no more neurotic email checking, etc. I have made peace with the process haha

That neurotic e-mail checking is pretty much the worst/most emotionally-draining part of this whole process. Congrats to all on this thread who finally got accepted!!!

VCU, yesterday!
CONGRATS!!!! THAT'S SO GREAT, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU!! :D

I hope we get more good news throughout the summer for everyone here who's still waiting :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I never expected the people on this thread to be so successful. I knew that some would get in but almost all have been accepted at this point. We've come a long way. Whenever I am burdened with grotesque amounts of medical school work I will reflect on those long months of waiting, when I would give anything for just an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I never expected the people on this thread to be so successful. I knew that some would get in but almost all have been accepted at this point. We've come a long way. Whenever I am burdened with grotesque amounts of medical school work I will reflect on those long months of waiting, when I would give anything for just an interview.
We did good!! Good luck to all starting soon and for those waiting or reapplying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if people applying this cycle will read this thread and understand what an emotional rollercoaster we were all on

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder if people applying this cycle will read this thread and understand what an emotional rollercoaster we were all on

I'm so glad I got off this ride. But I feel like I might be getting on a scarier ride.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Don't count on it. There is a sticky on the front page and couple of threads asking their very own questions, yet people keep asking the same type of questions every 5 mins.

Don't count on it. There is a sticky on the front page and couple of threads asking their very own questions, yet people keep asking the same type of questions every 5 mins.

But what should I wear in my secondary photo???

Members don't see this ad :)
But what should I wear in my secondary photo???

patch_adams001.jpg

sad-pepe-640x480.jpg

MFW I get rejected pre-interview by the only MD school I really had a shot at.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The plight of the individuals in this thread has simultaneously given me hope for the rest of this cycle and some mild anxiety.

The plight of the individuals in this thread has simultaneously given me hope for the rest of this cycle and some mild anxiety.
Anxiety is normal. Unless you're a superstar with 64 interviews, there is exactly nothing enjoyable about this process. That can't be sugarcoated, it just blows. The good news is that so many of the people on this thread who didn't have any interviews at this point last year, or even later in some of our cases, ultimately ended up getting into medical school.

And once you're in, you're IN. Nobody cares what you got on the MCAT. Nobody cares how many interviews you had. Nobody cares where you went to college, or how many volunteering hours you had, or how many times you were published. You get to be a student. You get to learn about the human body and medicine all day--what could be better than that? I got "honors" on my first unit of medical school, and it felt so validating to finally feel like I was supposed to be here after spending an entire year being told, "no" by school after school after school after school. Once in awhile I will look back at some of the posts I wrote when I was going through this myself, and so many of them exude this anger and sadness and resentment at the world. It reminds me of a quote that I was told, but couldn't fully appreciate at the time: "Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forwards." Not a single second goes by that I am not immensely grateful for the opportunity that I have been given. I have the greatest job in the world.

It will happen to you too.

Reactions: 24 users

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I heard you got into a DO school
Anxiety is normal. Unless you're a superstar with 64 interviews, there is exactly nothing enjoyable about this process. That can't be sugarcoated, it just blows. The good news is that so many of the people on this thread who didn't have any interviews at this point last year, or even later in some of our cases, ultimately ended up getting into medical school.

And once you're in, you're IN. Nobody cares what you got on the MCAT. Nobody cares how many interviews you had. Nobody cares where you went to college, or how many volunteering hours you had, or how many times you were published. You get to be a student. You get to learn about the human body and medicine all day--what could be better than that? I got "honors" on my first unit of medical school, and it felt so validating to finally feel like I was supposed to be here after spending an entire year being told, "no" by school after school after school after school. Once in awhile I will look back at some of the posts I wrote when I was going through this myself, and so many of them exude this anger and sadness and resentment at the world. It reminds me of a quote that I was told, but couldn't fully appreciate at the time: "Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forwards." Not a single second goes by that I am not immensely grateful for the opportunity that I have been given. I have the greatest job in the world.

I dream every night of this possibility

I heard you got into a DO school

I dream every night of this possibility
You are reading the words but not internalizing the meaning. You are going to be fine man. You will probably end up with 4 II's

Anyone else know a SDNer by username who is in your class but have yet to figure out who the actual person is? Kinda fun to play detective in class

Anyone else know a SDNer by username who is in your class but have yet to figure out who the actual person is? Kinda fun to play detective in class
Me and mcatjelly are both still active in our school's 2016-2017 thread and I'm just like WHO ARE YOU. I think we're both also active in terms of giving tours and interviews for the current cycle's candidates and it is still a mystery LOL

Reactions: 5 users
kinda related to this.. (i'm formerly cmo217.. changed my username) but i have a classmate i met on SDN and we know who the other person is! it was really cool getting to know them through this process since we were both on the WL of our school and now we get to know each other in real life too!

Sigh, it sucks that I'm not doing the first year med school challenge thing with you guys....it will not be the same next year

Your encouragement is amazing! Have you ever thought about being a motivational premed speaker? The Tony Robbins of our world?

Your encouragement is amazing! Have you ever thought about being a motivational premed speaker? The Tony Robbins of our world?
Ha! I'm just trying to pay it forward because of the encouragement I got when I was in a bad place last year.

1 post interview rejection and 2 more IIs to go. All in all, so so.
Having three interviews by October 7th is super impressive. Congrats! Sorry to hear about the rejection...I didn't even know schools were allowed to make post-interview decisions before October 15.

Having three interviews by October 7th is super impressive. Congrats! Sorry to hear about the rejection...I didn't even know schools were allowed to make post-interview decisions before October 15.
Thanks for the positive energy! The rejection was from a DO school which made it sting even more lol. But I'm staying positive;)

i have II's but i wish the thread this year was as supportive and lively as this one!

Why are your words always so calming, bananafish?
Because people on this website are often needlessly callous to individuals who are going through a monumentally stressful time in their lives, and I want to do my part to counteract that!

Reactions: 11 users
Because people on this website are often needlessly callous to individuals who are going through a monumentally stressful time in their lives, and I want to do my part to counteract that!
Thank u man

I would say something comforting, but I put your username and use of "dank memes" together with who you are on reddit.

Everyone that's waiting, just be patient. I know it's hard, but if you've been watching this thread you know that sometimes all it takes is a bit of time. There are people like me who didn't get any II's last cycle, and with just a bit of work ended up with an acceptance and 4 II's this cycle so far. Keep your heads up, the cycle isn't over until it's over, and there is still plenty of time left.

I would say something comforting, but I put your username and use of "dank memes" together with who you are on reddit.

Everyone that's waiting, just be patient. I know it's hard, but if you've been watching this thread you know that sometimes all it takes is a bit of time. There are people like me who didn't get any II's last cycle, and with just a bit of work ended up with an acceptance and 4 II's this cycle. Keep your

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobilehead up and just keep moving forward. Y
Did you congratulate him on getting into his top choice DO school yet?

Your a good man!

Everyone that's waiting, just be patient. I know it's hard, but if you've been watching this thread you know that sometimes all it takes is a bit of time. There are people like me who didn't get any II's last cycle, and with just a bit of work ended up with an acceptance and 4 II's this cycle so far. Keep your heads up, the cycle isn't over until it's over, and there is still plenty of time left.
Dude! Huge congratulations! That's huge.

@bananafish94 Long time no see! Glad to see so many of us still here helping out our respective school threads etc.