Official Alternative/Waitlister Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerWillow

UC Davis Class of 2016!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I go!

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS)

Let's hear from more peeps :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS)

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS)

Tempted to call admissions and see if I can't extract any additional info regarding my chances and where I might be on the wait list. Most likely, I'll just play it cool and tuck the possibility of getting in away for a while as I await responses from other programs. Here's to a little patience, my friends. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS), swj (status change 12/17 IS)

I guess we'll see what happens. Still waiting on Florida, Cornell, Auburn, UC Davis, and Oregon State.

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS)

Colorado State University: Alternate List (Email, 12/17 OOS)

I know an OOS that will decline her acceptance, so hang in there!!

I know an OOS that will decline her acceptance, so hang in there!!

:: Sharpening spears to attack other acceptancees:: :eek:

Just kidding!!! But I figure there will be spots! This changes my whole ball game, as I thought I was going to be instantly rejected!

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS)

Tempted to call admissions and see if I can't extract any additional info regarding my chances and where I might be on the wait list. Most likely, I'll just play it cool and tuck the possibility of getting in away for a while as I await responses from other programs. Here's to a little patience, my friends. :cool:

Haha they made it QUITE clear that they aren't going to tell us that! But I did email them for a file review, since we are the only ones that are allowed to get one!

Haha they made it QUITE clear that they aren't going to tell us that! But I did email them for a file review, since we are the only ones that are allowed to get one!

What will the file review do for me?!! Help promote additional stressing about what weaknesses other schools might be distilling from my application? :eek:

:: Sharpening spears to attack other acceptancees:: :eek:

Just kidding!!! But I figure there will be spots! This changes my whole ball game, as I thought I was going to be instantly rejected!

Sounds like we might be in similar situations. I was most confident about getting interviews from Western and Davis, as a Cali resident. I applied to Oregon State and CSU (and Penn, my birth state) because I have heard so many great things about their programs and would have little trouble adapting to life in Corvallis and Ft. Collins. I hardly expected to get offered a seat at CSU. The possibility is definitely intriguing. Pricey path, though, for us OOS'ers. :xf:

Sounds like we might be in similar situations. I was most confident about getting interviews from Western and Davis, as a Cali resident. I applied to Oregon State and CSU (and Penn, my birth state) because I have heard so many great things about their programs and would have little trouble adapting to life in Corvallis and Ft. Collins. I hardly expected to get offered a seat at CSU. The possibility is definitely intriguing. Pricey path, though, for us OOS'ers. :xf:

I applied to all those schools too! I won't hear from Western til later b/c I sent in the app almost near the deadline. But yes, $66 k for CSU. :diebanana:

What will the file review do for me?!! Help promote additional stressing about what weaknesses other schools might be distilling from my application? :eek:

yeaaaaaaaaahhh I was thinking this too. My mom said I'd be stupid not to take it, since the denied applicants have to do it themselves. Maybe I'll hide it somewhere in my email account? Like a folder labeled "do not open until all hope is lost and you must apply again"? But then if you knew your faults you can "start working on them for next cycle." Lovely prospects.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeaaaaaaaaahhh I was thinking this too. My mom said I'd be stupid not to take it, since the denied applicants have to do it themselves. Maybe I'll hide it somewhere in my email account? Like a folder labeled "do not open until all hope is lost and you must apply again"? But then if you knew your faults you can "start working on them for next cycle." Lovely prospects.

Can we at least wait a while before requesting a review? I don't even wanna think about "next year" until all other possibilities are exhausted. In fact, getting waitlisted as an OOS'er at CSU only makes me more confident that one of the Cali schools will see something in my application and offer me an interview. Good luck to us. :)

Can we at least wait a while before requesting a review? I don't even wanna think about "next year" until all other possibilities are exhausted. In fact, getting waitlisted as an OOS'er at CSU only makes me more confident that one of the Cali schools will see something in my application and offer me an interview. Good luck to us. :)

Yep! I think sometime in May. But I'll probably agree with what they say about me and I would want to know my weak points in case I get interviewed at Davis.

Knowing what the schools are seeing as weak points in your application will likely help you know what kind of questions will be coming at you in an interview. I'd say go for it now :thumbup:.

Yep! I think sometime in May. But I'll probably agree with what they say about me and I would want to know my weak points in case I get interviewed at Davis.

I like your thinking. I'm also still wondering if CSU will at least tell us how many applicants are on the alternate list. Can't see the harm is providing such info.

Probably not the greatest thread to be talking about this in, but the year I applied I did a file review with CSU post-rejection but before I'd heard from any other schools and it was super helpful and actually somewhat uplifting to me.

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS), moocow1987 (status change 12/16, OOS)

So happy someone made this thread! Congratulations(?) to all you others in CSU limbo.

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS), moocow1987 (status change 12/16, OOS)

So happy someone made this thread! Congratulations(?) to all you others in CSU limbo.

youh velcome :D

This sucks. All the rejects get is a lame PDF and a note basically saying "figure it out for yourself". I expect if every applicant paid the same for the application, each should be allowed to have a follow-up post-rejection.

This sucks. All the rejects get is a lame PDF and a note basically saying "figure it out for yourself". I expect if every applicant paid the same for the application, each should be allowed to have a follow-up post-rejection.

Do they really only offer file reviews for those on the alternate list? Seems like a strange policy, no?

Yeah that is new this year. I think it is a BIG mistake as my file review really helped last year (saved me 160$ on re-taking the GRE, and I got in this year). The dean of admissions' reasoning was that the people on the comittee spend so much time on them that they aren't able to dedicate enough time on current vet students or their other responsibilities. I understand that 16-1700 file reviews could get a little draining, but I think they owe it to us to let us know why they denied our dream. I am really upset that they won't do them tis year.:(

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS), moocow1987 (status change 12/16, OOS)AspenMarie (email 12/17 OOS)

Craziness! Hang in there everyone! I've heard out of stater odds for getting into Colorado are kind of low but seems like lots of out of staters did get accepted already...

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS), moocow1987 (status change 12/16, OOS),AspenMarie (email 12/17 OOS) Emiloo4 (status change 12/16)

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up since we are basically in the dark, but its still nice I guess lol.

Congrats Emiloo! Like someone said already, last year CSU flew through their OOS alternate pool so that they ended up offering IS waitlisters OOS positions. I think a lot of OOSers deny their spot because they get in somewhere else, so if this is where you want to go there is hope for you!!

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I figured a lot of people didn't decline their offers and it was pretty hopeless. Good to hear there's SOME hope at least! Then I just have to decide if I can afford it lol. I know this has probably already been asked, but I have been out of town and out of touch for this past weekend, and was wondering if anyone knows from last year, how many alternate spots there are. I know they won't tell us, but just curious if it's something we can figure out from last year...?

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I figured a lot of people didn't decline their offers and it was pretty hopeless. Good to hear there's SOME hope at least! Then I just have to decide if I can afford it lol. I know this has probably already been asked, but I have been out of town and out of touch for this past weekend, and was wondering if anyone knows from last year, how many alternate spots there are. I know they won't tell us, but just curious if it's something we can figure out from last year...?

I don't know the actual number of alternate spots, but it's a pretty sizable list. But with the economy being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they blew threw their list again.

Hey all you waitlisters, a message from a former waitlister, Don't drive yourselves too crazy waiting, and GREAT JOB! You are all worthy of vet school!

Thanks so much. :) Have you heard any good news yet? I always look for your name to post an interview or acceptance! :) Got my :xf: for ya!

Nothin yet... haven't gotten a KSU rejection yet, but I feel like if it's coming, it's coming anytime. I have heart palpitations everytime my iPhone lights up with an email...
I'd feel uplifted knowing that I was waitlisted at a TOUGH OOS school. :thumbup: to you :D

I don't know the actual number of alternate spots, but it's a pretty sizable list. But with the economy being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they blew threw their list again.

Pretty sizable? Does that mean you know how many alternates they selected, or just being rhetorical? :cool:

I'd feel uplifted knowing that I was waitlisted at a TOUGH OOS school. :thumbup: to you :D

I guess I've heard good news from 3 OOS schools now so I'm HOPING it will be good news from my IS too... but I have to wait till the 3rd week of January to find out :-/. And I actually don't live in FL anymore (my IS), so I have to actually fly there only a week after interview notices... hello expensive plane ticket! :scared:

Pretty sizable? Does that mean you know how many alternates they selected, or just being rhetorical? :cool:

Just extrapolated off of the large number of waitlisters listed on SDN in previous years. I mean, you know, I guess there's that possibility that SDN'ers made up a good portion of that list... but I kinda doubt it. But no, I don't actually have inside info on it.

A lot of people love the school when they apply, but things change once they're admitted to their IS schools, or have already fallen in love with another school that they get all set to attend (and have paid a deposit). Being told that you'll be paying $30k more than all your classmates puts a damper on things. And people who make it on the waitlist are obviously qualified for vet school, so chances are high that they'll be accepted elsewhere.

Just extrapolated off of the large number of waitlisters listed on SDN in previous years. I mean, you know, I guess there's that possibility that SDN'ers made up a good portion of that list... but I kinda doubt it. But no, I don't actually have inside info on it.

A lot of people love the school when they apply, but things change once they're admitted to their IS schools, or have already fallen in love with another school that they get all set to attend (and have paid a deposit). Being told that you'll be paying $30k more than all your classmates puts a damper on things. And people who make it on the waitlist are obviously qualified for vet school, so chances are high that they'll be accepted elsewhere.

Thanks for the insights. After they tore through the waitlist last year, I figured that they might have extended it to more applicants this time around. I guess all we can do is be patient and wait for updates – and as others have pointed out, take solace in the fact that at least one school deemed our applications worthy of such consideration. :)

So I got my file review today! It was actually very comforting bc Dr Stewart said that the only real reason why I wasn't accepted was bc there was exceptional competition.

She did say that the main reasons I wasn't offered a full acceptance was 1) I received a couple of Cs (which of course I know about, worried about, and cannot change)
2) I don't have any large animal experience (which I live by the beach and would need to drive out to the boonies of California to find a cow in SoCal). But this I knew about ALSO.

She said very lovely things about everything else I did correctly.
BUT she did say she suspects I'll get into other places that I applied to with my good stats. AND although she cannot reveal where I am in the list, I am in a spot where they did take people from last year.

Consensus: I was really overjoyed with the review and nothin really surprised me negatively. It definitely gave me hope and I would recommend it to ALL the alternates!

So I got my file review today! It was actually very comforting bc Dr Stewart said that the only real reason why I wasn't accepted was bc there was exceptional competition.

She did say that the main reasons I wasn't offered a full acceptance was 1) I received a couple of Cs (which of course I know about, worried about, and cannot change)
2) I don't have any large animal experience (which I live by the beach and would need to drive out to the boonies of California to find a cow in SoCal). But this I knew about ALSO.

BUT she did say she suspects I'll get into other places that I applied to with my good stats. AND although she cannot reveal where I am in the list, I am in a spot where they did take people from last year.

Consensus: I was really overjoyed with the review and nothin really surprised me negatively. It definitely gave me hope and I would recommend it to ALL the alternates!

Thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and request a review. The more info I arm myself with going forward the better. Cheers.

Colorado State University: TigerWillow ( status change 12/16, OOS), Sallydog (status change 12/16 OOS), August West (status change 12/16 OOS),swj (status change 12/17 IS), cvilleresler (email 12/17 OOS), moocow1987 (status change 12/16, OOS),AspenMarie (email 12/17 OOS) Emiloo4 (status change 12/16), FlyingVet2012 (status change 12/16, OOS).

There we go, my friends in limbo. With the addition of the straggler (ahem!), it seems that the waiting list is now complete at nine applicants. I think that's manageable. I will let you know more in four months. :D

There we go, my friends in limbo. With the addition of the straggler (ahem!), it seems that the waiting list is now complete at nine applicants. I think that's manageable. I will let you know more in four months. :D

Does everyone know about the allopathic med thread for Waitlist Kitteh? I think when it's closer to April I will bless us with these lovely LOLcats, with maybe some addition of my own.

Does everyone know about the allopathic med thread for Waitlist Kitteh? I think when it's closer to April I will bless us with these lovely LOLcats, with maybe some addition of my own.

You had better hurry!! April feels like tomorrow! Right around the corner... :sleep:

Got mine yesterday. Similar overall sentiments to what you received. More than anything else, I am extremely impressed with the fact that Dr. Stewart took the time out of what must be an extremely hectic holiday season to provide specific insights on my application. I am actually visiting friends in Colorado for New Year's and looking to set-up a visit to the campus and maybe check out the teaching hospital and any other facilities that are accessible this time of year. Happy Holidays. :)

Got mine yesterday. Similar overall sentiments to what you received. More than anything else, I am extremely impressed with the fact that Dr. Stewart took the time out of what must be an extremely hectic holiday season to provide specific insights on my application. I am actually visiting friends in Colorado for New Year's and looking to set-up a visit to the campus and maybe check out the teaching hospital and any other facilities that are accessible this time of year. Happy Holidays. :)

Glad it wasnt as scary as you thought! I was highly impressed too. You must report back from your trip.

Happy holidays! I'm gonna stuff my face with this chocolate coconut muffin, bc I can!

August West let me know if you want a tour of the Foothills Campus. I am also right next to the Equine Center (though I haven't toured that myself :oops:).

August West let me know if you want a tour of the Foothills Campus. I am also right next to the Equine Center (though I haven't toured that myself :oops:).

Thank you very much for the offer. I will be in the area on the 29th, 30th and 31st. Are any of these days doable? Will most or all parts of the vet school be accessible around this time? Dr. Stewart said she was not sure how limited the hours might be due to the holidays and left me the e-mail of someone at the teaching hospital. I would very much like to see the campus next week if possible. :D

The VTH will definitely be open, but I am not sure how willing they will be to give tours. You will atleast get to see some of it:) I'm not sure that you will want to see where I work unless you are intersted in equine med or you might be interested in getting a MERK internship (research), but I will be back to work on that Thrusday and Friday and would be glad to show you around. The University holiday is also over on Thursday and Friday of next week, so those would be the days to tour the VTH as well. Hope I can help:rolleyes: