*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this might be a ridiculous question, but all you have to do is submit the application, pay for it, and wait for the verification right? I've been waiting for a while and now doubts are seeping about submitting correctly. lol.

"All you have to do" for...? As far as your primary, yes, that's all you do.

Members don't see this ad.

If my pre-med committee organizes our letter in October, would that be considered too late? Should I just go ahead and speak with admissions committees about foregoing the committee letter for individual letters?
Thanks again, guys.

That does seem late to me, but still within the deadlines for the secondary apps for most schools I am aware of, I think.

The problem with foregoing the committee letter is that med schools, if they know your undergrad institution has a committee and provides letters, will want to know why you are not providing one. The committee letter is generally preferred to individual letters.

Yeah, I am sort of in a bind. I think that I will have to contact the admissions committees and see what they have to say. I don't want to turn in things late, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question about the EC section where you give an description of the EC. How are you suppose to describe the EC? Do you write what were your duties (what you did) only or do you also include stuff like what you learned from it, how you think it would help you in the future, how it inspired you to choose medicine, etc?

Quick question about the EC section where you give an description of the EC. How are you suppose to describe the EC? Do you write what were your duties (what you did) only or do you also include stuff like what you learned from it, how you think it would help you in the future, how it inspired you to choose medicine, etc?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591
See post 2 for FAQ

So, I'm planning on submitting my primary tomorrow. I was thinking about just applying to one school for now and then adding more on August 9th after my MCAT scores come in. Will this affect my place in line for the schools I'm adding later since my app won't be verified anyway? I just thought it'd be wiser to wait so I can make a better decision based on my score.

So, I'm planning on submitting my primary tomorrow. I was thinking about just applying to one school for now and then adding more on August 9th after my MCAT scores come in. Will this affect my place in line for the schools I'm adding later since my app won't be verified anyway? I just thought it'd be wiser to wait so I can make a better decision based on my score.
No it won't change your place in line. Yes, it's a common and recommended strategy and you'll be fine.

I listed my university twice (once for undergraduate and again for post-bacc classes). It asked me if a transcript is required for each one, and I checked yes, because I already sent in my transcript that shows all of this. Well, of course, the computer doesn't know this and thinks it is two different schools I guess. So, I get an email that says I have a hold on my submission and I need a transcript for my university (Post-Bacc.) and it is due by August 1st (MONDAY!!!!). I can't change anything, so now I have to wait until Monday morning and HOPE that someone can help me and that it won't be too late. Has anyone experienced this or know if they will be able to take the hold off of my account on MONDAY?!

So this question is in regards to institutional action. I delayed taking one of my school's core requirements, which consequently put me on academic probation. I asked the Registrar about whether or not this constitutes "institutional action" and they say it does not, but we do not have many premeds so I feel that their answer isn't really accurate. I don't want any trouble with AMCAS, no delays, investigations, or any risk to my future matriculation, so should I explain the incident under institutional action? Thanks :).

To what decimal place does AMCAS round your GPA? Hopefully 3.696 becomes 3.70 :D. It just looks better.

I have been enrolled in a joint bachelors/masters program at my university. I just graduated with the bachelors and will formally start on the masters this fall. I I took 6 credits of grad level courses as a senior last year. I was reading through the amcas instruction manual and saw something that said:

"If you have enrolled simultaneously in an undergraduate and a graduate program (e.g., Bachelors/Masters dual degree): The graduate-level course work will count toward a graduate degree. The graduate-level course work should be listed under the graduate status at the time the courses were attempted"

So from this I should list those 6 credits as graduate and not senior right? Initially I had them as senior since I'm pretty sure they were calculated them into my undergrad GPA there. Also, since I took some grad classes while formally being an undergrad, my university counts the grad classes as "honors" and this is shown on the transcript. I'm not sure if this means those classes were counted toward the undergrad degree. I just don't want to mess up and hold up the verification process. I'm concerned because if someone is looking at my transcript the grad classes are just mixed in with undergrad classes during my senior year and it might look strange. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my primary amcas yesterday. How long should I expect to wait to get verified and is it faster for EDP.

I just realized, right now, that the application I submitted like 2 months ago had errors in the Courses section. (Forgot that the year changes between Fall and Spring...:oops:) My transcript is already verified, so in the end, no harm done? Not sure if I should email AMCAS about this.

At my school, the pre-medical committee interviews students and writes a letter of recommendation shortly after the fall semester begins. They suggest waiting to submit AMCAS after this interview. I know early September isn't "too late" but can I submit before they send in their letter or is it better to wait until after? I want the schools I apply at to see the letter. Thanks for any help..

I just realized, right now, that the application I submitted like 2 months ago had errors in the Courses section. (Forgot that the year changes between Fall and Spring...:oops:) My transcript is already verified, so in the end, no harm done? Not sure if I should email AMCAS about this.
I wouldn't worry about that. I doubt anyone will notice or care

At my school, the pre-medical committee interviews students and writes a letter of recommendation shortly after the fall semester begins. They suggest waiting to submit AMCAS after this interview. I know early September isn't "too late" but can I submit before they send in their letter or is it better to wait until after? I want the schools I apply at to see the letter. Thanks for any help..
I would definitely not wait until September to submit. I don't know why your school would want you to wait. If you submit in September, you won't be verified until end of September, early October. Then you have to work on secondaries and stuff... That's really late

You can submit and be verified without the letter. Most schools won't mark you complete until then though

Hey everyone;

I submitted on 7/23. When I click "Print Application HTML," it shows my GPA calculations, but when I click "Print Application PDF," the GPA slots are blank. It also says GPA calculations will appear when the application is "Processed." My application status still says "Ready for Review." Is the GPA I'm seeing confirmed by them already?

Thanks

I'm an international student. My undergrad is located in the US, and I have F1 status. I filed taxes this year (because I was a resident for tax purposes). Should I answer yes to the question "Are you a legal resident of the United States?" Which definition are they using? I wouldn't qualify under the green card/citizen definition but is the tax definition applicable?

If I can answer yes, do I put my tax state as my state of legal residence, or the state in which I'm currently located?

Hey everyone;

I submitted on 7/23. When I click "Print Application HTML," it shows my GPA calculations, but when I click "Print Application PDF," the GPA slots are blank. It also says GPA calculations will appear when the application is "Processed." My application status still says "Ready for Review." Is the GPA I'm seeing confirmed by them already?

Thanks

This has been reported extensively on SDN, on this thread and others. You should ignore any GPA calculations in the HTML print view of your application that appear before your application has been marked as processed.

I'm an international student. My undergrad is located in the US, and I have F1 status. I filed taxes this year (because I was a resident for tax purposes). Should I answer yes to the question "Are you a legal resident of the United States?" Which definition are they using? I wouldn't qualify under the green card/citizen definition but is the tax definition applicable?

If I can answer yes, do I put my tax state as my state of legal residence, or the state in which I'm currently located?

I don't have a compatible AMCAS browser at the moment so I can't log into confirm this, but if this is the "legal residence" question that asks what state you are a resident of, then I would answer "yes." If this is the "Are you a U.S. citizen?" question, obviously you're not (but I assume this isn't the question you're asking about).

I might be overtly paranoid here but this is my question:
I had been volunteering at this free clinic until 08/09 then my work schedule changed and I had to stop but I still come and help them out on special events when it's outside office hour. I indicated on my AMCAS that my volunteer ended on 08/09 in the start date/ end date box then I told them I still help at special events in the description box. Should I have told them this activity is still going on at the present in the start date/end date box? I didn't say that because it is not regular and can't say it's going on presently at 4 hours/week.

I got paranoid all of a sudden because it seems like some schools don't even read your primary.

Question about adding more schools:

Each time you select a new one, AMCAS states that it will resend your application to the "designated school(s)."

Does that mean it sends my application AGAIN to schools that already have it, or just to the one I have added? I would like to think it is the latter, but the wording they use is confusing.

Question about adding more schools:

Each time you select a new one, AMCAS states that it will resend your application to the "designated school(s)."

Does that mean it sends my application AGAIN to schools that already have it, or just to the one I have added? I would like to think it is the latter, but the wording they use is confusing.
The latter

I have two quick questions:

1. I do not have a full year of basic, freshman introductory biology. I only have half a year. If I have other biology courses such as Cell & Molecular Biology (which is a 4 credit-hour course with its own lab section), will these make up for my lack of freshman biology? Will I still be able to get into medical schools?

2. My letters of recommendation are being routed through the PreMedical committee of my college (i.e. professors send letters to committee. committee sends letters to AMCAS, along with their own letter). Problem is the PreMedical committee is not done with this process yet (they're not due to meet again until Aug 15), while my AMCAS application is mostly done. Can I submit it without the letters in the hope that the letters will be sent as they come, or do I have to wait until the letters arive?

Thank you for any replies.

I have two quick questions:

1. I do not have a full year of basic, freshman introductory biology. I only have half a year. If I have other biology courses such as Cell & Molecular Biology (which is a 4 credit-hour course with its own lab section), will these make up for my lack of freshman biology? Will I still be able to get into medical schools?

2. My letters of recommendation are being routed through the PreMedical committee of my college (i.e. professors send letters to committee. committee sends letters to AMCAS, along with their own letter). Problem is the PreMedical committee is not done with this process yet (they're not due to meet again until Aug 15), while my AMCAS application is mostly done. Can I submit it without the letters in the hope that the letters will be sent as they come, or do I have to wait until the letters arive?

Thank you for any replies.

1) Depends on the exact subjects of those biology courses. You should follow up individually with the schools you are interested in to see if the biology courses you have taken will satisfy their requirements.

2) Yes, you can submit your primary independently of whether your letters have been submitted.

quick question: If I am declaring a second major (biology) this week, can I put this on my application? I already sent in my transcript and biology is listed as a minor on my transcript. Thanks.

I have a question regarding contact info. for the work/experiences section on the AMCAS. For several of my experiences, namely student organizations, I really don't have a "professional" contact that I can provide reference to (e.g. One of my entries state that I was a member of a fraternity; would providing the contact info. for the president be sufficient since our chapter adviser is MIA 90% of the year?) When it comes to personal experiences or endeavors, such as playing the piano, would it suffice to list yourself as the contact reference?

hey all,

so my primary hasn't been verified yet, but i'd like to add more schools. so
a) is it possible to do so now?
b) if so, will this delay my verification because i'll now be resubmitting on 8/6?

thank you!

quick question: If I am declaring a second major (biology) this week, can I put this on my application? I already sent in my transcript and biology is listed as a minor on my transcript. Thanks.
Hmm not sure about this one. I thought I had read somewhere that AMCAS verifies your major but not minors, in which case you couldn't list it until AMCAS had a transcript attesting to that. But I can't find that right now, so I might be wrong. Hopefully someone else can chime in

I have a question regarding contact info. for the work/experiences section on the AMCAS. For several of my experiences, namely student organizations, I really don't have a "professional" contact that I can provide reference to (e.g. One of my entries state that I was a member of a fraternity; would providing the contact info. for the president be sufficient since our chapter adviser is MIA 90% of the year?) When it comes to personal experiences or endeavors, such as playing the piano, would it suffice to list yourself as the contact reference?
Use any contact person who can verify that you were involved from date x to date y at z hours per week. That's all the adcom member will need to know. You can list yourself if you must, but a piano teacher or your mom would be marginally better

Went to another school for part of a semester and had a medical withdraw..I need to put it on the amcas right?

So I got verified today. Is there any way I can find out what AMCAS did with my GPA? Can we print out what the med schools will see?

So I got verified today. Is there any way I can find out what AMCAS did with my GPA? Can we print out what the med schools will see?

The PDF printout should be what med schools see (with the exception of what schools you've applied to).

AMCAS wants me to print transcript request forms with the name on the transcript... Well, one of my transcripts is narrative evals, and I changed my name while attending that school, so more than one name appears on the transcript.

Both names are listed with AMCAS, but I don't want to create massive confusion - should I ask the school what they're going to put on the header and go from there?

EDIT: Oh, and another question. My dad is a physicist who does radiation oncology - he's a professor in a major teaching hospital, but is not an MD. In "parental occupations" there really isn't a spot for that - it's either "Health Professions - technologist" or "Physical scientist". I'm not sure which is most correct. I also don't know whether having a parent working in medicine who is a PhD is something medical schools will care about specifically and whether I should go to the trouble to call attention to it? Kthx.

Last edited:
AMCAS wants me to print transcript request forms with the name on the transcript... Well, one of my transcripts is narrative evals, and I changed my name while attending that school, so more than one name appears on the transcript.

Both names are listed with AMCAS, but I don't want to create massive confusion - should I ask the school what they're going to put on the header and go from there?

EDIT: Oh, and another question. My dad is a physicist who does radiation oncology - he's a professor in a major teaching hospital, but is not an MD. In "parental occupations" there really isn't a spot for that - it's either "Health Professions - technologist" or "Physical scientist". I'm not sure which is most correct. I also don't know whether having a parent working in medicine who is a PhD is something medical schools will care about specifically and whether I should go to the trouble to call attention to it? Kthx.

1) Asking your school what name they will put seems like a fine plan.
2) It likely will matter little, if at all. (If it was significant to your desire to be a physician, you would likely be calling attention to it in your personal statement or elsewhere in secondary applications.) Fill it out however you please.

just wanted to verify this here.
ive seen posts where people said u have submit ur application (which includes ur ps) before mailing in ur transcripts. but ive also seen posts saying that u can send in ur transcript without actually submitting the application.
i understand they wont verify it until the application has been submitted, but sending in transcripts now would get me several days ahead.
im taking the mcat soon, but havent finished my ps (mcat mcat mcat), so i obviously cant submit my application.
any response is appreciated.

just wanted to verify this here.
ive seen posts where people said u have submit ur application (which includes ur ps) before mailing in ur transcripts. but ive also seen posts saying that u can send in ur transcript without actually submitting the application.
i understand they wont verify it until the application has been submitted, but sending in transcripts now would get me several days ahead.
im taking the mcat soon, but havent finished my ps (mcat mcat mcat), so i obviously cant submit my application.
any response is appreciated.
AMCAS won't put your application into line to be verified until BOTH conditions are met
1. Your transcripts are marked received by AMCAS
2. You actually push submit on your AMCAS application

So if you wait to send your transcripts until after you submit, you will be waiting for probably a week at minimum for your UG to send the transcript, the mailing time, and then maybe a day or two for AMCAS to acknowledge that they received your transcript.

However, if AMCAS already has your transcript when you submit, then you will enter the verification queue immediately.

AMCAS won't put your application into line to be verified until BOTH conditions are met
1. Your transcripts are marked received by AMCAS
2. You actually push submit on your AMCAS application

So if you wait to send your transcripts until after you submit, you will be waiting for probably a week at minimum for your UG to send the transcript, the mailing time, and then maybe a day or two for AMCAS to acknowledge that they received your transcript.

However, if AMCAS already has your transcript when you submit, then you will enter the verification queue immediately.

Thanks for the response.
so ive completed some of the application, and got to the point where i can print the transcript cover letter.
is that the only thing my schools need for the transcripts?

Thanks for the response.
so ive completed some of the application, and got to the point where i can print the transcript cover letter.
is that the only thing my schools need for the transcripts?

Yes.

minor freakout, I'm about to submit but on the standardized test page I see this

MCAT Scores

Not loaded

MCAT Test Date

You plan to take an additional MCAT test on
July 28, 2011.

why does it make it sound like this is my second test? Is this standard?

Just took the MCAT August 5th. Was waiting to fill everything out until I was done with that. About to submit as everything is done.

Do I need to include that "I plan to take an addition MCAT August 5th?"

By the time I'm verified my score will be on my AMCAS. Or should I leave it just in case?

What's the point of the AMCAS Verification Thread (found here). Is it to brag about having submitted your application or what?

Wow really? That's such a clumsy way of doing it. They have to quote the entire list everytime, just so they can add one line of data. If I was an admin I would make an online graph that charts the data in real time as it's added. Hell, you can probably do this in Google Docs, with open permissions. Then just post the link in the OP and close the thread. No mess and no confusion.

Regarding my AMCAS application, I want to know if a certain experience of mine can be considered clinical. I used to volunteer in an assisted living home for old people. There, I tended to them to a certain degree (such as helping them move around), and I also socialized with them (e.g. bingo). According to the "Tips for Entering your Work and Activities in AMCAS" thread, the criteria for determining whether or not your experience was clinical is if you could SMELL the patients. I certainly met this criteria lol, but this is an assisted living HOME after all, so I'm at odds on how I should classify it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.