*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listing classes:
OK, so from my previous question, I gather we list aaalllll classes, even "research hours" etc.

New question:
1) there is a box that says "exempt" so for those classes we tested out of and got no grade, no credit, just exemption, should we list these then check "exempt" i assume?
2) there is no box for transfer credit. for credits transferred from 1uni to another, should i be listing them all? Univ1 will have their set of course numbers with grades and credit, so I will of course list them under Univ1. Univ2 gave credit but no grade for the courses it deemed equivalent, so the course numbers are different. It clearly states it's transfer credit. Anyway should I just go with the rule of list EVERY course on every transcript here to the best of my ability and let them sort it out?

thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

1) there is a box that says "exempt" so for those classes we tested out of and got no grade, no credit, just exemption, should we list these then check "exempt" i assume?

I believe this is correct. (Refer to page 42 of the 2012 instruction manual.)

2) there is no box for transfer credit. for credits transferred from 1uni to another, should i be listing them all? Univ1 will have their set of course numbers with grades and credit, so I will of course list them under Univ1. Univ2 gave credit but no grade for the courses it deemed equivalent, so the course numbers are different. It clearly states it's transfer credit. Anyway should I just go with the rule of list EVERY course on every transcript here to the best of my ability and let them sort it out?

List the courses at the institution where they were taken, once and only once. The classes you took at University 1 should only appear under University 1. (Refer to page 36 of the instruction manual.)

If I am planning to apply next year (for the 2012-2013 cycle), can I still get all my transcripts, recommendations into AMCAS this year, and have this information "rolled over" for next year (i.e. ~ May 6, 2012)?

Bear in mind, I am already out of college so I won't need to update my transcript next year. With respect to recommendations, it won't change a year from now for the same reason. I want to have my transcripts, recommendations letters lined up and taken care of.
No. AMCAS doesn't keep transcripts or recommendations from year to year. It might be a good idea to let your letter writers know that you will want a letter from them though, so they can write the letter now while they still remember you. Maybe you can read through the Letters of Recommendation thread and see if that will help.

In any case, schools generally want to see LORs that have a more current date

Members don't see this ad :)
List the courses at the institution where they were taken, once and only once. The classes you took at University 1 should only appear under University 1. (Refer to page 36 of the instruction manual.)

Thanks for the direction! Slowly working through it :)

My study abroad is going to look weird - My home institution will show no courses for that term, the US sponsoring institution will be listed with zero courses and will have a transcript sent to AMCAS, and the foreign institution will have 4 courses listed with grades and have a transcript exemption requested.

Does that seem right, anyone who has done study abroad where the sponsoring univ wasn't your home univ? It seems to be what their instructions dictate...

Hi. Got a few questions before I print out my transcript request forms:

1. In alternate IDs, I put my University's Student Number. Is that ok? Or should I just take it out.

2. I did all my undergraduate work and graduate work at the same school (X). I did 4 years of undergrad and earned a bachelor's degree. Then after getting the degree, I just took one course in the next semester. And then next year, I started my graduate studies. This is how I have it setup in my AMCAS application:

A) Undergrad, School X, 2004-2008, earned degree
B) Undergrad, School X, 2008, did not earn degree (only one course)
C) Grad, School X, 2009-2012, will earn degree in future

Can someone please confirm that I have the above setup currently.

3. Do I print out 3 separate transcript request forms, even though all the 3 mentioned above will appear on the same transcript?

4. My school has online transcript request. How do I include the AMCAS transcript form with my transcripts?

Thanks a lot for answering.

Hi. Got a few questions before I print out my transcript request forms:

1. In alternate IDs, I put my University's Student Number. Is that ok? Or should I just take it out.

That's fine. In fact, I believe it's necessary. (See page 18 of the instruction manual.)

2. I did all my undergraduate work and graduate work at the same school (X). I did 4 years of undergrad and earned a bachelor's degree. Then after getting the degree, I just took one course in the next semester. And then next year, I started my graduate studies. This is how I have it setup in my AMCAS application:

A) Undergrad, School X, 2004-2008, earned degree
B) Undergrad, School X, 2008, did not earn degree (only one course)
C) Grad, School X, 2009-2012, will earn degree in future

Can someone please confirm that I have the above setup currently.

That looks correct to me.

3. Do I print out 3 separate transcript request forms, even though all the 3 mentioned above will appear on the same transcript?

I think this was covered in an earlier post to this thread; you only need one transcript.

ETA: here's the discussion from earlier in the thread:

I attended institution X for both undergrad and graduate school. I received my bachelor's as an undergrad there. Due to unforeseen circumstances, however, I did not finish graduate school at that institution, and do not expect a master's degree.

This is where it gets confusing.

Now both my undergrad coursework and my graduate coursework via inst. X are all on the same transcript. My question is: do I submit these two different enrollments as one school entry or two school entries on AMCAS?
There is the option of "graduate" or "undergraduate" to differentiate between the two, but then it asks what degrees you earned from X both times if you choose the two school entry option. The issue is, I do not expect a degree from their graduate school, yet, I received one at their undergrad institution. Tricky, right??

Also, if I do the two school entry option, will AMCAS electronically be expecting two transcripts? Obviously that would be an issue since there really is only one transcript for inst. X.

Your transcript should be separated into two different parts -- with one part saying you were an undergrad and one part saying you were a grad student (or seeking a graduate degree at the time). If your transcript is all just one giant list of grads -- with no indicate of what degree you were seeking, then you would list it all as undergraduate coursework.

If your transcript does separate your grad coursework from undergrad coursework, then you would list your school twice. The second time you list it, for degrees earned, use "No degree expected" [That should be an option]

Conclusion - Look at your transcript. See if it knows you were enrolled into two different programs.

My transcript does indeed separate the undergrad stuff from the grad stuff. So I guess I will list the school twice and hope that AMCAS does not expect two separate transcripts.
They won't.

4. My school has online transcript request. How do I include the AMCAS transcript form with my transcripts?

Does the online request page have any provision for special instructions? Regardless, this is a question best taken up with your specific school.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies mauberley. I am going to contact my University on Monday to ask them about online transcript requests.

1. There is a section that breaks up how you paid for your "post-secondary education." I've long since graduated, and my school won't even let me access this data. Safe to omit?

2. I have an AP class that's listed on my college transcript, but it is listed as 0 credits (I took another AP class that superseded that one). List or not for AMCAS?

3. Should AP classes still be listed as "AP Credit: XYZ?"

Last edited:
I got into a summer undergraduate research program last summer, at a different institution then I attend currently. I received credit hours (15), a grade, and an official transcript for a single graduate course. I am still in undergraduate but what should I assign this credit as? Graduate status?

If someone could please clarify some of my confusion, I'd be very grateful.

1) I sent my transcript requests to schools without including my school ID # (overlooked this section, and I only know 1 school ID of the 4 I've attended). Is this a a big problem?

2) What happens once grades are verified? Are we still able to work on other parts of our application? Will access to the "coursework" section be closed?

3) Will our transcripts be verified and approved as they are received by AMCAS, or only after we've submitted and paid for our primaries?

4) Do I need to enter a course from which I was excused and did not receive a grade? There is no check box for this classification.

Thank you.

1) I sent my transcript requests to schools without including my school ID # (overlooked this section, and I only know 1 school ID of the 4 I've attended). Is this a a big problem?

At worst, it would delay verification of your transcript, but as long as AMCAS receives your transcript with the request form attached, I should think there's no problem.

2) What happens once grades are verified? Are we still able to work on other parts of our application? Will access to the "coursework" section be closed?

Following certification, you cannot make any changes except to limited parts of your application. From page 70 of the instruction manual:

Make certain that you have thoroughly reviewed your application prior to submitting, noting that after the initial submission of your application, you can only make changes to the following sections:

• Required and Alternate IDs.
  • Name, including Full Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
  • Contact Information including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
  • Alternate Contact Information.
  • Date of Birth and Sex.
  • Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent).
  • Next MCAT testing date.
  • Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines and restrictions apply).
  • Release application information to your pre-health advisor.

You cannot make changes to the coursework section except after verification, but only if you wish to correct something that AMCAS changed. This would be done via an Academic Change Request (page 10 of the instruction manual).

3) Will our transcripts be verified and approved as they are received by AMCAS, or only after we've submitted and paid for our primaries?

Only after you've certified your application.

4) Do I need to enter a course from which I was excused and did not receive a grade? There is no check box for this classification.

Does it appear on your transcript? If so, then you should enter it. In this case, you would mark it as "exempt."

mauberley - Thanks soo much for the clarification :) The course does show up on my transcript as "excused", so I will add it.

One last thing I'm not 100% clear on: so AMCAS only begins verifying transcripts AFTER I'm entirely done with my application? So it's not necessarily a benefit that I sent them in early, as they're not going to be looked at until I complete & submit my entire primary application?

One last thing I'm not 100% clear on: so AMCAS only begins verifying transcripts AFTER I'm entirely done with my application? So it's not necessarily a benefit that I sent them in early, as they're not going to be looked at until I complete & submit my entire primary application?
That's right. You have to certify, pay, and submit your app before they'll look over your grades. You can only do that June 1 or later.

However, they will email you to tell you that they got your transcript. That way you'll know they matched up your application and your transcript correctly. They'll also say which college they got your transcript from, so you can isolate which school's registrar is slow or which transcript you need to resubmit.

There is an advantage to sending in your transcripts early because you'll know that they have your transcript in their hands and that they were able to match up your application with your transcript. Therefore, you can push submit on June 1 and they'll get yours done pretty fast

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're quite welcome!

[ETA: what sector9 said.]

Well, it's a benefit in that it's one fewer thing to worry about. :) Essentially it boils down to what's going to gate verification of your application -- the time when you hit "submit" or the time AMCAS receives your transcripts? You have more control over one of those things than the other.

If you're wondering why they don't start verifying it as soon as they receive your transcripts, consider that they're verifying that you entered in your grades correctly by using the transcript as confirmation, not the other way around. AMCAS doesn't have anything to verify until you hit "submit."

sector9 & mauberley: Ah, it all makes sense now! Thank you for laying it out so clearly :)

Hey guys i have a quick question on entering AP course.
On my transcript, "AP CHEMISTRY (Score 3, Units 8.0) 05/07"

So for the grades section, do i leave it blank or do i put 3? It doesn't have A, B or etc. Currently, i just left it blank.

Thank you

Hey guys i have a quick question on entering AP course.
On my transcript, "AP CHEMISTRY (Score 3, Units 8.0) 05/07"

So for the grades section, do i leave it blank or do i put 3? It doesn't have A, B or etc. Currently, i just left it blank.

Thank you

Blank, as no grade was assigned. Assign it the "Advanced Placement" special course type.

Yes, that's the general process. Once you add schools to your AMCAS, it'll automatically generate a form you can print and take to your school's registrar, who will send the transcripts out.

Unless AMCAS has changed this as well, I believe you do need to have the transcripts sent by snail mail through your registrar's office. There isn't an option to upload online .. mainly (I'm assuming) because they want to be able to verify the authenticity.

As for getting your form to the registrar's, I believe that's mostly school-dependent. My school had an option to complete transcript stuff online (including attaching additional docs). Check your school's registrar's website to see if they'll let you

Ok, So now I'm a bit confused with this. I thought the whole point of AMCAS was the fact that everything is included in one application which is sent to each individual school. So you are saying that I have to ask my undergrad school to send a transcript to every single school that I apply to through AMCAS? I was under the impression that AMCAS gets the official transcript and that is how everything is verified by each individual school???

So just to clarify, you can be verified without having your LORs in? If so, when do you usually send LORs out?

So just to clarify, you can be verified without having your LORs in?

Yes.

If so, when do you usually send LORs out?

As soon as they're available, following designation of their destination schools in AMCAS. LORs gate completion of your secondary application, not your primary application.

Hey thanks! have average stats for all except for MCAT :( yeah I meant UIC, I just hope I get in somewhere and during this cycle:xf:

For Chicago I think you mean University of Illinois in Chicago (UIC).It is one of the most diverse med schools in the US. It depends on what you are looking for, when you say "must apply" if you are Hispanic. If you have average stats, you can apply probably anywhere as a URM and have a good chance of being accepted. If you want a more diverse student population (or more Hispanic student population), I believe the schools/regions you listed would provide them -- though hopefully someone can give you a better list.

1. There is a section that breaks up how you paid for your "post-secondary education." I've long since graduated, and my school won't even let me access this data. Safe to omit?

2. I have an AP class that's listed on my college transcript, but it is listed as 0 credits (I took another AP class that superseded that one). List or not for AMCAS?

Anyone? Any comments would be much appreciated.

To elaborate:

#1 New section, so I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed.
#2 I am confused on this, because AMCAS says to list everything in your transcript, but they also say not to list AP classes for which you did not receive credit for. I have a class listed on my transcript, but for 0 credit hours (Calculus AB, superseded by Calculus BC).
#3 With all these new changes, I was just wondering if they've changed the preferred format.

So i understand that the transcript verification process can be lengthy, but let's just say that someone were to start the transcript verification process before completing the rest of their app.

Will AMCAS begin transcript verification before the rest of the app is complete? So since the app won't be complete until the verification (presumably the longest step of the app) is complete, would it matter if the app was completed prior to the verification, and then submitted once the transcript was verified?

Sorry if this post isn't clear, it's 3:30am :(

to make this brief. no. they verify the entire app only once it has been submitted in its entirety. If you hit submit before you complete it, it will either be sent back to you (if you did not fill in something that was required) or sent to schools incomplete and you will then have to contact every school to correct/add whatever it is that you left out.

So i understand that the transcript verification process can be lengthy, but let's just say that someone were to start the transcript verification process before completing the rest of their app.

Will AMCAS begin transcript verification before the rest of the app is complete? So since the app won't be complete until the verification (presumably the longest step of the app) is complete, would it matter if the app was completed prior to the verification, and then submitted once the transcript was verified?

to make this brief. no. they verify the entire app only once it has been submitted in its entirety. If you hit submit before you complete it, it will either be sent back to you (if you did not fill in something that was required) or sent to schools incomplete and you will then have to contact every school to correct/add whatever it is that you left out.

Merging with the AMCAS Question thread

Don't even think about doing this. You will completely screw up your app if you try to submit before it's ready.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147906/aftersub_shared_2.2.html
For someone who is asking this type of question, you really need to read the rest of the FAQ on the AMCAS website so that you don't make another mistake

So I genuinely apologize if this question has already been asked--I did sift through the 7 pages of this thread and searched the thread for the word "abroad" and came up with nothing applicable...

I went to a UC as an undergrad and did my junior year abroad. The UC Education Abroad Program has a program director in each host country that converts your grades from the scale used at your exchange institution to a standard A-F 4.0 grade scale. Your grades then show up on your UC transcript as very vague, nameless classes with letter grades. I believe they show up as all in one quarter, too.

I still need to get a transcript from the place where I did the exchange, right? How do I make sure AMCAS understands that there is overlap in the two transcripts so that my classes abroad aren't counted twice? Has anyone dealt with this UC abroad situation yet? Any helpful information to share?

Hi guys, I have a question about submitting application.

I took MCAT in march and I have already got my score back. My score is really unbalanced: V7, P12 B13. I am thinking about take the MCAT again in late July. I understand that submitting application early is very important and verification takes a long time.

Therefore, I wonder is it possible that I can submit my primary application with just one school in June so that AAMC can verify my transcript early. And once I get my new score back in August, may I just add more schools that I wanna apply to and submit my application again to those schools? I feel like this way will saves me a lot of time.

Thank you!

Hi guys, I have a question about submitting application.

I took MCAT in march and I have already got my score back. My score is really unbalanced: V7, P12 B13. I am thinking about take the MCAT again in late July. I understand that submitting application early is very important and verification takes a long time.

Therefore, I wonder is it possible that I can submit my primary application with just one school in June so that AAMC can verify my transcript early. And once I get my new score back in August, may I just add more schools that I wanna apply to and submit my application again to those schools? I feel like this way will saves me a lot of time.

Thank you!
Read the AMCAS FAQs
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...amcas_application_without_my_mcat_scores.html
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147904/aftersub_shared_2.1.html
The answer is yes

So I genuinely apologize if this question has already been asked--I did sift through the 7 pages of this thread and searched the thread for the word "abroad" and came up with nothing applicable...

I went to a UC as an undergrad and did my junior year abroad. The UC Education Abroad Program has a program director in each host country that converts your grades from the scale used at your exchange institution to a standard A-F 4.0 grade scale. Your grades then show up on your UC transcript as very vague, nameless classes with letter grades. I believe they show up as all in one quarter, too.

I still need to get a transcript from the place where I did the exchange, right? How do I make sure AMCAS understands that there is overlap in the two transcripts so that my classes abroad aren't counted twice? Has anyone dealt with this UC abroad situation yet? Any helpful information to share?

I would start with page 48 of the instruction manual. There is a specific section for study abroad course work. If there is anything you need further clarification on, please post here.

[ETA: as sector9 indicated above] Yes, you can. It is a strategy often recommended here on SDN.

I would start with page 48 of the instruction manual. There is a specific section for study abroad course work. If there is anything you need further clarification on, please post here.

Thank you very much for guiding me in the right direction--WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED!?

So now it sounds like I have to request that my UC attach an "official letter" regarding which grades are from abroad--correct? Is this typically done by the registrar or the Education Abroad Office?

It's complicated because it's an informal weeding-out process. ;) j/k.

So now it sounds like I have to request that my UC attach an "official letter" regarding which grades are from abroad--correct? Is this typically done by the registrar or the Education Abroad Office?

I'm assuming your impression that you need an official letter comes from the following sentence in the instructions:

If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:

From your earlier description, those courses already appear on your UC transcript (with grades--are there credit hours also recorded?), so there's no need for an official letter.

So, to sum up:

• list the foreign institution under "Schools Attended"
  • complete a transcript exception request for the foreign institution
  • enter the courses taken abroad exactly as entered on your UC transcript

I wanted to make sure to note one more thing -- when you complete the transcript exception request, make sure to indicate where the transcript credits will appear (in your case, on your UC transcript).

Good lord. Thank you so much.

You're quite welcome. Best of luck.

Okay, dumb question--is there a separate transcript exception document I should be filling out, or was that those supplementary questions that followed me clicking "no" in response to "does AMCAS require a transcript from this institution"?

Okay, dumb question--is there a separate transcript exception document I should be filling out, or was that those supplementary questions that followed me clicking "no" in response to "does AMCAS require a transcript from this institution"?

When you entered in the institution, you would have indicated that a transcript was not required, which would set you down the path of obtaining a transcript exception request. You would indicate the reason for requesting an exception as "Foreign college – study abroad program sponsored by a U.S., U.S. territorial, or Canadian college."

And that was it, huh? Well congratulations, AMCAS for making one (1) thing not difficult.

And congratulations you, mauberly, for being my personal savior today. You are truly "my friend".

hi all,

i was lost as to where to put this and didn't think it was a WAMC so here i go..

so i'm prepping my application right now hoping to submit by first day. i'm currently in grad school right now and have only one semester of grades under my belt and my spring grades won't be ready until like early june. i was wondering what you guys would suggest i do? my grades from this semester and last semester won't be that different (they're good).

is it just possible to submit my fall grades now and enter my transcript so i can submit by the first day and then update schools with my grades later?

is it possible to update grades later without affecting my application process?

or should i just wait and submit in mid june (when my grades come out and probably have to wait a few weeks to get verified)?

i guess i'm asking - what's more important at this point - timing or grades? i have a undergrad gpa of 3.39, mcat 31 and grad gpa of 3.9 so far? any opinions? i just think i need every advantage i can get...

thanks in advance!

And congratulations you, mauberly, for being my personal savior today. You are truly "my friend".

Hooray! :banana:

hi all,

i was lost as to where to put this and didn't think it was a WAMC so here i go..

so i'm prepping my application right now hoping to submit by first day. i'm currently in grad school right now and have only one semester of grades under my belt and my spring grades won't be ready until like early june. i was wondering what you guys would suggest i do? my grades from this semester and last semester won't be that different (they're good).

is it just possible to submit my fall grades now and enter my transcript so i can submit by the first day and then update schools with my grades later?

is it possible to update grades later without affecting my application process?

or should i just wait and submit in mid june (when my grades come out and probably have to wait a few weeks to get verified)?

i guess i'm asking - what's more important at this point - timing or grades? i have a undergrad gpa of 3.39, mcat 31 and grad gpa of 3.9 so far? any opinions? i just think i need every advantage i can get...

thanks in advance!

Are your classes grad-level or undergrad-level? If grad-level, I would think they wouldn't matter. If you actually end up doing crappily, you'd be doing yourself a favor. (My understanding is that your undergrad GPA is more of a factor in your app than your graduate GPA.) If undergrad-level, though those classes would then be separated out as post-bacc, I would guess your undergrad GPA wouldn't be affected that much. Either way, I'd opt for timing since your grades wouldn't be affected too much.

this is a bit random, but i think i may have a weird issue with not being able to update my application later. i have been gathering missing prereqs. i still need biochem. i would take this at a local 4 year univ which i am not enrolled at yet. my current grad school is expensive, and most recent CC doesn't offer biochem, so i don't have school to add yet to put a future course under! i don't want to be screened out by the few schools that DO already require biochem. do i have to wait until i know what school i'll take it at, basically, before i submit this, or can i indicate it in some other way (but then i won't have transcript forms for a specific school and whatnot..)?

this is a bit random, but i think i may have a weird issue with not being able to update my application later. i have been gathering missing prereqs. i still need biochem. i would take this at a local 4 year univ which i am not enrolled at yet. my current grad school is expensive, and most recent CC doesn't offer biochem, so i don't have school to add yet to put a future course under! i don't want to be screened out by the few schools that DO already require biochem. do i have to wait until i know what school i'll take it at, basically, before i submit this, or can i indicate it in some other way (but then i won't have transcript forms for a specific school and whatnot..)?

If you wanted to include the course as "current/future" I would think you could list the school you're anticipating taking the class under your list of attended institutions, then request a transcript exception under the rationale "current or future course work."

Anyone? Any comments would be much appreciated.

To elaborate:

#1 New section, so I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed.
#2 I am confused on this, because AMCAS says to list everything in your transcript, but they also say not to list AP classes for which you did not receive credit for. I have a class listed on my transcript, but for 0 credit hours (Calculus AB, superseded by Calculus BC).
#3 With all these new changes, I was just wondering if they've changed the preferred format.

1) I would fill this in using your best estimates. Wouldn't you have at least a rough idea of how your education was paid for?

2) If it's on your transcript, I would enter it as-is. Better to provide too much information than too little.

3) If your college transcript does not indicate actual course names, then you would enter it as "AP Credit: <subject name>". Otherwise, enter it as it appears on your transcript.

I took one course in the summer of 2009 and two more courses in the summer of 2010 at the same community college.

Would I be correct in just listing the school once in schools attended and making the date from May 2009 to June 2010? While also checking the Summer School Only box?

Hello, I have a quick question about the AMCAS application.

I am debating whether to retake the MCAT on July 29th. My first score is decent, but I want to see if I can score higher. My question is if I submit my AMCAS primary in June, will it be delayed if I retake the MCAT in July and, thus, affect my chances for interviews?

I took one course in the summer of 2009 and two more courses in the summer of 2010 at the same community college.

Would I be correct in just listing the school once in schools attended and making the date from May 2009 to June 2010? While also checking the Summer School Only box?
That's what I did. Make sure to mark "no degree expected" too.

When printing out transcript request forms, is it better to use your SSN on all of the forms or to use the ID number from the school from which the transcript is being requested?

Status
Not open for further replies.