*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.

Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the instruction manual can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

AMCAS FAQ from 2012, please let me know if there are any changes

General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens on May 8th. You can submit on June 4th this year.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 8th,

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff is working on a new thread for that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into this thread. The old threads for the Work/Activities section are referenced in the first post..

4. What about Letters of Rec?

Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?

It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here and in graphical form here.

10. When do secondaries come out?

This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 8
2014 AMCAS application opens
June 4
Applications may be submitted
June 28
Data transferred to medical schools

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?

Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?

Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147528/amcas_2010_faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
Quote:
If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?" AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or missed deadlines resulting from incorrect listings of course names and numbers.

19. I really think that this class I took should be considered BCPM, but I think AMCAS will change my classification because of the department it was taught in. What should I do?

You can feel free to classify it to the best of your ability. Keep in mind that AMCAS says "Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS may or may not reclassify the course. Once your application is verified by AMCAS, you can look at your coursework and easily tell which classes they altered by using this guide https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?

AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

Special Thanks to the following for their contributions to the FAQ:
mauberley
sector9
...and CougarMD for providing the template for this thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
What is the most important thing to do as soon as the AMCAS opens on May 1 in order to assure i can submit on the first day possible.?

-I have my letters of rec in interfolio ready to go.
-My personal statement should be complete within the next few weeks.(have been working on it since february with the help of the readers on SDN).
-My work / activities is proofread and completed.
-I have an official transcript at home and will being course classifying tomorrow.

What is absolutely critical to do May 1st?
Ive heard sent transcripts, but can that be done May 1 if i havent completed all the sections of the AMCAS?
Thanks everyone.

What is the most important thing to do as soon as the AMCAS opens on May 1 in order to assure i can submit on the first day possible.?

-I have my letters of rec in interfolio ready to go.
-My personal statement should be complete within the next few weeks.(have been working on it since february with the help of the readers on SDN).
-My work / activities is proofread and completed.
-I have an official transcript at home and will being course classifying tomorrow.

What is absolutely critical to do May 1st?
Ive heard sent transcripts, but can that be done May 1 if i havent completed all the sections of the AMCAS?
Thanks everyone.

Relax...you can't actually hit the submit until June and they don't dump to schools until the end of June.. So, if you're concerned about having everything in, just about the only thing that matters on May 1st is if you want to submit your transcript with the official amcas transcript paper for faster processing to order your transcript on may 1st with that paper accessible inside the application

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am trying to budget for this upcoming application season. I was wondering if there is a compiled source for secondary application fees? Is this somewhere in the MSAR? online?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks!

If my pre-med committee letter isn't sent until end of July, does this delay my verification and secondaries?

Hi all,

I am trying to budget for this upcoming application season. I was wondering if there is a compiled source for secondary application fees? Is this somewhere in the MSAR? online?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks!

MSAR. Do the homework. It's conveniently located online.

If my pre-med committee letter isn't sent until end of July, does this delay my verification and secondaries?

No, it does not delay your AMCAS verification nor will it delay most secondaries. However, at most schools, you will not be considered "complete" until your letter is received. Complete, as in they will not consider you for an interview invite until they have received everything from you, which includes your committee letter.

What if my dual-enrollment credit is also on my current school's transcript? Do I still need to send separate transcripts?

I read the AMCAS manual and saw the part about "year in school" classification. Because of AP credits and some summer classes I'm taking (free electives that I'm taking just because I'm interested in the courses), I'll have 92 credits and will be classified as a senior at the beginning of this fall (which will be the start of my third year in school). I won't be graduating early.

If I classify the classes from this summer and next fall/spring as being part of my junior year (since they technically are, just not by credit hour), will AMCAS change this or will it cause problems? The manual states "If the Year in School selected greatly exceeds the ranges specified below, AMCAS may reassign statuses." I'll be at 126 credits by the time I apply next spring which is immediately after my third actual year in school, so I'm concerned that this will be considered "greatly exceeding"

I read the AMCAS manual and saw the part about "year in school" classification. Because of AP credits and some summer classes I'm taking (free electives that I'm taking just because I'm interested in the courses), I'll have 92 credits and will be classified as a senior at the beginning of this fall (which will be the start of my third year in school). I won't be graduating early.

If I classify the classes from this summer and next fall/spring as being part of my junior year (since they technically are, just not by credit hour), will AMCAS change this or will it cause problems? The manual states "If the Year in School selected greatly exceeds the ranges specified below, AMCAS may reassign statuses." I'll be at 126 credits by the time I apply next spring which is immediately after my third actual year in school, so I'm concerned that this will be considered "greatly exceeding"

Yep, they'll just change it if they disagree with your classification when your app is verified. They actually contradicted the AMCAS manual when they changed mine. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just try and follow their instructions and you'll be fine.

Yep, they'll just change it if they disagree with your classification when your app is verified. They actually contradicted the AMCAS manual when they changed mine. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just try and follow their instructions and you'll be fine.

Merging

I guess I'm only concerned slightly in terms of each year's GPA. My GPA is going to drop slightly this semester thanks to Orgo II and Gen Chem II, but it should pick back up next year. I know junior year grades are heavily stressed (with some schools like Wash U even giving them a different weight than freshman/sophomore years), so I want my work next year grade-wise to be reflected by that.

Would you advise me to ignore the AMCAS credit ranges and just to classify by what year I take the classes? I.e. all classes taken during the traditional "sophomore" year be classified as "sophomore" even though I'm technically a junior right now? Cause otherwise I'll have four semesters that are classified as a senior.

I thought the credit hour ranges mattered more if you took time off. I also thought that you only skipped your junior year classification if you were graduating in three years.

I guess I'm only concerned slightly in terms of each year's GPA. My GPA is going to drop slightly this semester thanks to Orgo II and Gen Chem II, but it should pick back up next year. I know junior year grades are heavily stressed (with some schools like Wash U even giving them a different weight than freshman/sophomore years), so I want my work next year grade-wise to be reflected by that.

Would you advise me to ignore the AMCAS credit ranges and just to classify by what year I take the classes? I.e. all classes taken during the traditional "sophomore" year be classified as "sophomore" even though I'm technically a junior right now? Cause otherwise I'll have four semesters that are classified as a senior.

I thought the credit hour ranges mattered more if you took time off. I also thought that you only skipped your junior year classification if you were graduating in three years.

I would just follow the AMCAS manual--they're going to change it if they disagree with you anyway. I wouldn't worry about a slightly lower GPA... but the higher you can get it before you apply, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just follow the AMCAS manual--they're going to change it if they disagree with you anyway. I wouldn't worry about a slightly lower GPA... but the higher you can get it before you apply, the better.

If I follow the manual, I don't know where to cut off when I became a sophomore and when I became a junior. Worse case scenario, if I just do it by year as I stated above and they do change it, will it drastically slow the process?

If I follow the manual, I don't know where to cut off when I became a sophomore and when I became a junior. Worse case scenario, if I just do it by year as I stated above and they do change it, will it drastically slow the process?

Nah, it won't slow it. They changed several things on my app and I was still verified well before AMCAS transmitted data at the end of June. I think I submitted a week after the first day. If you submit early you'll be fine.

What if my dual-enrollment credit is also on my current school's transcript? Do I still need to send separate transcripts?

Any classes taken for college credit must have a transcript submitted from the institution that you took the classes from. So yes, if your dual enrollment credits are college credits from a different school, then you will need to submit a separate transcript.

Hey everyone,

I haven't taken Biochemistry because most of the schools I'm applying to don't require it.

But if I am applying to 1 or 2 that do require it, can I put it under Future Coursework for Spring semester so that if I do have a shot at a school that requires it (i.e. get an interview), I can take it prior to matriculation? Or so that if I have an acceptance from another school by January (for example), I can just decide not to take it and withdraw my app from the other schools that require it?

I'm assuming it is a must to put down future coursework if it's part of a school's requirements. But will this look bad at all to a school without a biochem requirement if I get accepted and then just never take it?

Hope I'm making sense. Thanks!

-Six

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I haven't taken Biochemistry because most of the schools I'm applying to don't require it.

But if I am applying to 1 or 2 that do require it, can I put it under Future Coursework for Spring semester so that if I do have a shot at a school that requires it (i.e. get an interview), I can take it prior to matriculation? Or so that if I have an acceptance from another school by January (for example), I can just decide not to take it and withdraw my app from the other schools that require it?

I'm assuming it is a must to put down future coursework if it's part of a school's requirements. But will this look bad at all to a school without a biochem requirement if I get accepted and then just never take it?

Hope I'm making sense. Thanks!

-Six

If you really don't want to take it, save it for your last quarter. As long as that's the only prereq you're missing from a school, the effect will be minimal to nothing. If you happen to change your mind, then you just saved yourself from biochem (for now :D)

If you really don't want to take it, save it for your last quarter. As long as that's the only prereq you're missing from a school, the effect will be minimal to nothing. If you happen to change your mind, then you just saved yourself from biochem (for now :D)

Haha yeah Im gonna read Biochem on my own to prepare for med school but I don't necessarily want to take the class if I don't have to :p

Also, I won't be in school for the next year, that's why I'm making a big deal of this. I would be listing only Biochem as future coursework, nothing else since ill be in my gap year. Would it look bad to just list Biochem so the schools that require it see it, even if I don't necessarily have the intention of taking it?

What the others said.

But also typically they count freshman year with the summer after you graduate HS (if i'm not mistaken) and so on until the next summer (which is now sophomore)... and every year after your 4th year in college is senior

TRANSCRIPT question y'all:

So, I had my university send me 3 official transcripts in the mail (just received them today). I will only be opening one of them to input grades once the app opens, will use the other 2 for the official transcripts (one for MD, then ordered an extra for DO). I did this a week ago because I know how my school is (its a small liberal arts college) and I didn't want to wait until graduation time to get this done where they are super busy so I ordered them ahead of time. Anyways, what I plan on doing is going back once I have the AMCAS sheet with my ID # and such with my UNOPENED OFFICIAL transcripts...this is where my question comes in, do I have them fax or email w/ attachments to AMCAS? I have 2 other CC transcripts I need to get...should I do the same thing and order them in the mail to do the same process or should I wait in May until the app opens to print out that sheet and take it to them to send. Basically all I am asking is how do the schools send them to AMCAS? via email? fax? Sorry if this is dumb. ha.

TRANSCRIPT question y'all:

So, I had my university send me 3 official transcripts in the mail (just received them today). I will only be opening one of them to input grades once the app opens, will use the other 2 for the official transcripts (one for MD, then ordered an extra for DO). I did this a week ago because I know how my school is (its a small liberal arts college) and I didn't want to wait until graduation time to get this done where they are super busy so I ordered them ahead of time. Anyways, what I plan on doing is going back once I have the AMCAS sheet with my ID # and such with my UNOPENED OFFICIAL transcripts...this is where my question comes in, do I have them fax or email w/ attachments to AMCAS? I have 2 other CC transcripts I need to get...should I do the same thing and order them in the mail to do the same process or should I wait in May until the app opens to print out that sheet and take it to them to send. Basically all I am asking is how do the schools send them to AMCAS? via email? fax? Sorry if this is dumb. ha.

See the FAQ #12. Your registrar has to send the sealed transcript directly to AMCAS

Ok just double checking, how long are your personal statements and how long does the application allow it to be? I have completed mine for the most part, just making some small final changes.

Heres a interesting question, lets say I am graudating with a Pharm D. in June. Will they want my transcript from that program?

if i took a private training emt course (to pass my nremt) not worth college credit, do I still add it onto the application somehow?

Reapp question:

I had a semester at a graduate school pursuing a masters a while ago. I completed the semesters (A's in the classes) but decided I did not want to continue the masters. After, I enrolled in a 2nd degree and an completing that now.

I did not submit this transcript (for the unfinished masters) last year. Should I submit it this year?

Do we have to wait till the app opens next Wednesday to have our transcripts sent to AMCAS?

Last year AMCAS accepted transcripts starting on May 1; however, due to the one week delay in opening the app this year, I'm kind of confused. :confused: I know my AAMC ID, so I was thinking of submitting my transcript requests today and including my ID in the address as follows:

AMCAS
AAMC ID: 12345678
Attn: Transcripts AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, DC, 20037

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Do we have to wait till the app opens next Wednesday to have our transcripts sent to AMCAS?

Last year AMCAS accepted transcripts starting on May 1; however, due to the one week delay in opening the app this year, I'm kind of confused. :confused: I know my AAMC ID, so I was thinking of submitting my transcript requests today and including my ID in the address as follows:

AMCAS
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, DC, 20037

As far as I know, you can't request your transcripts without the AMCAS Transcript Request form that is generated by the application service once you enter your schools in. I'm doing AACOMAS right now and they have the same thing (though their handbook says its not "required", though its better so that they don't lose anything).

The AMCAS guidelines however say it is required.

From my understanding, yes, we have to wait till the app opens next Wednesday to have our transcripts sent to AMCAS.

AMCAS
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, DC, 20037

As far as I know, you can't request your transcripts without the AMCAS Transcript Request form that is generated by the application service once you enter your schools in. I'm doing AACOMAS right now and they have the same thing (though their handbook says its not "required", though its better so that they don't lose anything).

The AMCAS guidelines however say it is required.

Ok just double checking, how long are your personal statements and how long does the application allow it to be? I have completed mine for the most part, just making some small final changes.

The application allows 5300 characters including all the spaces. However, some admissions prefer the personal statement to be no longer than 1 page. Other admissions might not care as much. I think that the PS has to be concise, straightforward, and to-the-point. Maybe it can be more than 1 page, but it has to have a high density of contents throughout.

A tip that I always give to all the application essays is that grab your yellow highlighter, highlight every single sentence that you think other students "might" say as well, and either delete or rephrase them. Every single sentence should have a reason and a purpose. If not, delete them. Afterwards, if the length is still more than 1 page, hopefully the PS shows enough insights and life experiences that show who you are. In other words, the PS "deserves" more than 1 page.

Check out other PS threads for more information.

Heres a interesting question, lets say I am graudating with a Pharm D. in June. Will they want my transcript from that program?

From what I know, AMCAS wants every single transcript. In your case, I can quite safely say yes, but others could correct me if I am wrong.

if i took a private training emt course (to pass my nremt) not worth college credit, do I still add it onto the application somehow?

You may add it to honors/awards section and maybe include it that way (activity/EC section)? That's what I would do.

I was under the impression that you are only considered a "reapplicant" to the schools you apply to in a cycle, but #7 FAQ above says that the primary AMCAS is labeled reapplicant?

I'm taking the May 18th MCAT this cycle and I was planning to submit my AMCAS on June 4th without a score but only send it to 1 school so that if the score doesn't turn out how I like, it won't go to all the schools I want to apply to. My numbers aren't going to be superbly impressive (3.53 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA and likely 29-30 MCAT) so I was hoping to get my app in super early to have more looks.

Reading the AAMC website it seems that you're only considered a reapplicant at the particular school. Can someone confirm I'm reading it correctly as opposed to what is listed here?

I know this bad been addressed in the FAQ, but submitting a transcript without spring quarter grades is no a red flag, correct? My grades have been very consistent and all of my classes are science courses, but none are pre req's. will med schools get the impression that I am hiding "bad grades." The reason I ask is because my grades won't be out until late June and will likely delay my application. If its not a red flag, how long/hard is it to update each school on your grades? Is there a column on amcas where you submit your spring grades after being processed? Thanks !

In addition to grades, my school offers instructor evaluations for some of the courses that I took. These can be included on the official transcript for an additional charge. If I include them, will anyone see them?

Course classification help:
I need help classifying three courses.
I will post the course title and descriptions italicized if needed.

1. Ethnic studies 12 (religious myths and rituals)

2. Cell Biology and Nueroscience 197 (research for undergraduates)
these were units credited for doing research certain quarters

3. Freshman advisors seminar 093
Being part of a "learning community" freshman year, I was required to take this seminar class which was exactly what it sounds like. Advice and extra help for students in te natural sciences learning community. I signed up for this for guarantee registration Into the pre-req sciences (chem, bio, physics etc)

How can I classify these three? Thank you sdn fam!

Style: "volunteer at x" or "x volunteer"?

What's good format for shadowing entries?

What would a pre-med co-op experience be classified as? I know on my transcript it is a biology course, but is this the correct classification here? Thanks!

Hey guys!! due to budget cuts at my university (darn you state of cali!!) i may not be able to complete my minor before i graduate (next spring) and since im applying to med schools this cycle should i just leave out the fact that im working on a minor, and if i get it med schools will be surprised, or should i add it and and hope classes are added next fall/spring so that i can get my minor before i graduate? i really dont know what to do :p

Given your circumstance, I would just leave the minor on the application since you would complete it if the course is available. If that changes later, you can notify schools with an update after interview or something. In either case, I doubt whether the presence or absence of a minor will make a huge difference in your application.

Hey guys!! due to budget cuts at my university (darn you state of cali!!) i may not be able to complete my minor before i graduate (next spring) and since im applying to med schools this cycle should i just leave out the fact that im working on a minor, and if i get it med schools will be surprised, or should i add it and and hope classes are added next fall/spring so that i can get my minor before i graduate? i really dont know what to do :p

Honestly, I don't think anyone will care about your minor (or even your major) so it can't hurt to keep it. Just as long as its something you liked.

Can you substitute this required class with something else that goes towards your minor?

Otherwise, I would just add it on and update the schools if anything changes. You have good reason to update them on this (esp. since it's something out of your control).

Can you substitute this required class with something else that goes towards your minor?

Otherwise, I would just add it on and update the schools if anything changes. You have good reason to update them on this (esp. since it's something out of your control).

This is what I would suggest. I had a class erased from my major requirements due to it not being offered for my last semester and my advisor didn't think I needed it based on my performance in school.

Incognito guy-that's what im looking into, but choices are very limited and if i cancel one of my bio major classes i wouldnt graduate on time so no :p in the spring of 2014 i might be able to get a class...possibly but otherwise im stuck. I guess i will add it and then update the schools if it changes...thanks guys!!

When entering course information, is the course name the one that appears on the transcript (ie, "CALC LIFE SC"), the one that appears in my larger degree audit ("Pharm Advances"), or the full name of the course ("Principles of Biophysical Chemistry")?

I already asked this on the AMCAS Personal Statement Guide thread but got no replies, so here goes again...
The AMCAS PS prompt says that you should include "commentary on any significant fluctuations in your academic record not explained in your application."
My GPA is very good except that when I was studying abroad I got a few bad grades that are much lower than my grades when I was at my undergraduate institution. I don't know if I should explain this in my PS. Are those fluctuations "signficant"? And if they are significant, is it not explained in my application where the classes are listed as study abroad credits?

Do you think that schools will ask me what I am doing in a 'gap' semester if I am graduating a semester early?
Also, should I put December 2013 for the 'end date' (when I actually graduate) on the AMCAS application instead of May 2014?
Would it look bad if I put one or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.