*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a TA for a Gen Chem. It was 1 credit and I got a grade for it. The course is CHM####. Should I categorize it as chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone's transcripts been received yet? How long did it take?
how long did it take?
Well, all of my institutions save for 2 use online ePDF format, so 3/4 of those were received within 3 days of doing it. Waiting for the paper copies :( My uni is notoriously laggy when it comes to these too
I've only submitted one of mine (waiting for grades at the other), but it was quick. It was marked received 5d after my school mailed it, which is about what I'd expect for postal time some since I didn't pay for express.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question related to cross registration courses. My official transcript from my home institution includes the credit total, letter grade, and associated GPA points from the cross registration course. My home official transcript also says right before the course "transfer: XYZ community college". However, the course itself looks identical on my transcript to other home institution courses (as opposed to community college credits i had transferred in as a freshman that show grade as TR and 0 GPA points). Do I need to add XYZ community college to my list of institutions attended as well as request a transcript even though the letter grade and GPA points are included on my home institution's transcript?

Question related to cross registration courses. My official transcript from my home institution includes the credit total, letter grade, and associated GPA points from the cross registration course. My home official transcript also says right before the course "transfer: XYZ community college". However, the course itself looks identical on my transcript to other home institution courses (as opposed to community college credits i had transferred in as a freshman that show grade as TR and 0 GPA points). Do I need to add XYZ community college to my list of institutions attended as well as request a transcript even though the letter grade and GPA points are included on my home institution's transcript?
Yes. You should list those courses under the institution you took them at.
AMCAS Instructions p35 said:
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another. For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took “Intro to Pottery” at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the “Schools Attended” section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add “Intro to Pottery” as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there.

How should I answer the LOR question about the author being associated with a school?

The PI that I worked for was at a school (that I didn't attend) and included the letterhead of that school, but has since moved to another institution after writing the letter.

EDIT: Also, employers and club advisers from my university?

Posting this again. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm trying to add coursework for my undergrad institution, but it only allows me to select high school. I'm sure I've added my schools correctly, so I don't know why it's doing this.

nozgpt.jpg

Posting this again. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm trying to add coursework for my undergrad institution, but it only allows me to select high school. I'm sure I've added my schools correctly, so I don't know why it's doing this.

nozgpt.jpg
Check your high school graduation date. AMCAS won't let you put anything but 'High School' for academic years prior to your listed high school graduation date.

Perhaps you typo'd and put 2013 instead of 2012 for HS graduation :shrug: Or are you trying to list credit transferred from coursework you took in high school?

How should I answer the LOR question about the author being associated with a school?

The PI that I worked for was at a school (that I didn't attend) and included the letterhead of that school, but has since moved to another institution after writing the letter.

EDIT: Also, employers and club advisers from my university?

Professor X, University Y (formerly of College Z)

In the video tutorial regarding entering AP credit, they say to use "AP credit: [subject]". If my transcript lists my AP courses as "ADV PLACEMENT EXAM- MATH BC" should I enter that or use the tutorial suggestion "AP credit: Calculus BC"?

either way works, it should be obvious to AMCAS verifier

For my class standing when entering coursework, should I enter it based on my year in college or my credits earned? For instance, starting my second semester in freshman year of college, I had enough credits that my transcript says "sophomore" next to it for class standing but since it was second semester of freshman year....I'm technically a freshman also. Because if I do it all by the credits I earned....I'm gonna have a lot of classes under senior and like nothing under freshman

Either way, yo can do it by date/year/length of time or by credit count. For most students this makes little difference

Professor X, University Y (formerly of College Z)

I have a similar question - two of my letter writers are currently professors at my undergraduate institution, but will be taking positions at other universities starting this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to best express this in their LOR entries. As far as I can tell, gonnif, there isn't space provided within the application to put something like you recommend ("University Y (formerly of College Z)"), as we can only list one institution name. So, for the "Institution name" section, I'll put my current institution, but for the address section, should I put the University Y address or College Z address? (Does this actually matter...?) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question - two of my letter writers are currently professors at my undergraduate institution, but will be taking positions at other universities starting this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to best express this in their LOR entries. As far as I can tell, gonnif, there isn't space provided within the application to put something like you recommend ("University Y (formerly of College Z)"), as we can only list one institution name. So, for the "Institution name" section, I'll put my current institution, but for the address section, should I put the University Y address or College Z address? (Does this actually matter...?) Thanks!

Doesnt matter, I would put the address of where they are now or where they were when they wrote you the letter.

Does anyone know if we can edit the details associated with our LOR after the letter has been received? I see that we can view the details, but not how to edit them, and I don't want to have to delete the letter altogether and have it sent again, if I can avoid it. I have one LOR from a professor who is now teaching at a different school, and the information I provided about him was based on that new school, not where he taught my class. (So basically, I didn't write the "Formerly of University X" as suggested above.) Do I need to delete the letter and resend it? I assume the writer mentioned the class at University X in his letter, but it is on his new university's letterhead, which is why I chose to list the letter as Professor at University Y.

Application is "verified" once we submit it Jun 1st, correct?

Once we submit, can we change the following?
Letter of Recs: I read above that you can add, but not delete once submitted already.
Personal Statement/ Essay?
Is there anything else we are allowed to alter?

Do I need to submit to get verified? Or do I automatically get verified when transcripts are received?

Once we submit, can we change the following?
Letter of Recs: I read above that you can add, but not delete once submitted already.
Personal Statement/ Essay?
Is there anything else we are allowed to alter?

Do I need to submit to get verified? Or do I automatically get verified when transcripts are received?
You can add LORs, but not delete or change entries, even if your writer ends up not providing one.
You can add schools to your list.
You can change your contact information.

You cannot change your PS, any essays, any activities, classes, grades, transcripts, etc.

Submission opens June 2 at 0930 EST.
Once you submit, it may take several weeks to verify, unless you submit on the first day.
Schools will not see anything until July 1 at the earliest.

To add to the above, verification refers to AMCAS comparing what you submitted to as your coursework to the transcript(s) received from your previous colleges. So for verification you need:

1) application submitted
2) transcript received
3) then you wait in line (or your application does) for 2 to 6 weeks
4) AMCAS reviews and verifies

Hey! Can't find this on a thread on this anywhere...I'm working on my Course Work section and I have a question about entering transfer credit from high school. I have a bunch of credit from a special program at my high school (AICE -- similar to the IB program, but less widespread) and I'm a little confused about how to enter it. I am putting exactly what it says on my transcript, but in the "special course types" section box below should I just leave it blank? There isn't a box that fits its description (like for AP or IB courses) but it is not like a normal class that I took at my university... I'm worried AMCAS will send back my application/not be able to process it.

Hey! Can't find this on a thread on this anywhere...I'm working on my Course Work section and I have a question about entering transfer credit from high school. I have a bunch of credit from a special program at my high school (AICE -- similar to the IB program, but less widespread) and I'm a little confused about how to enter it. I am putting exactly what it says on my transcript, but in the "special course types" section box below should I just leave it blank? There isn't a box that fits its description (like for AP or IB courses) but it is not like a normal class that I took at my university... I'm worried AMCAS will send back my application/not be able to process it.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf (see table p41)
If the following course types appear on your official transcript, they should be indicated as
AP on the AMCAS application even if they are not technically Advanced Placement

ACE/ACT (
I believe this is the AICE. In any event I would use it)

How are you guys entering Summer courses?

First off, I guess we can't say Summer I or II? Also, I took a class in Summer 2014. Should I put this under Summer 2013-14 or Summer 14-15? My school includes summer 2014 as part of 13-14 school year.

Thanks!

First off, I guess we can't say Summer I or II? Also, I took a class in Summer 2014. Should I put this under Summer 2013-14 or Summer 14-15? My school includes summer 2014 as part of 13-14 school year.

Thanks!
Put it as Summer 14-15. It doesn't matter which year your school classifies it as. AMCAS has its own rules on that.
AMCAS Instructions p36 said:
The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2011, you should enter it as 2011–2012 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2010–2011 academic year.

I don't know what you mean by Summer I or II. Just do what AMCAS says in the above quote.

Thanks!

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf (p 36)

Academic Year and Term
These fields show the Academic Year and Term during which you took a course. The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2011, you should enter it as 2011–2012 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2010 – 2011 academic year

Reactions: 1 users
How do you input work/activities that are going to continue into the future? I see no option for current or future. Thanks

I am a first-time Canadian applicant looking for answers....

1) Can you submit your primary applications before having all your reference letters received by AMCAS?
2) What are Canadian friendly schools you know of? (I am reading MSAR right now but I noticed that some schools actually are not Canadian friendly)
3) What medical schools only look at your most recent MCAT score if you have wrote multiple times? (I.e. do not take an average or some sort of application)
4) I am finishing my MSc this June/July 2015 . I noticed that 2015 was not an option for the drop-down menu of the convocation/expected completion date degrees (it only goes up to 2014).

Thanks!

I am a first-time Canadian applicant looking for answers....

1) Can you submit your primary applications before having all your reference letters received by AMCAS?

Yes; letters are typically part of each individual schools secondary application process.

2) What are Canadian friendly schools you know of? (I am reading MSAR right now but I noticed that some schools actually are not Canadian friendly)

Canadian Students are technically international and many schools actively discourage international. However, since most places likely consider Canadians a differ category (forgive the analogy but "near" americans would be the best way to describe), they are likely to be friendlier. Yes this would be informal and not a published policy but unverified word of mouth

3) What medical schools only look at your most recent MCAT score if you have wrote multiple times? (I.e. do not take an average or some sort of application)

I dont believe this is noted on MSAR but maybe teased out on individual websites for the schools. However, all the MCAT scores will be reported

4) I am finishing my MSc this June/July 2015 . I noticed that 2015 was not an option for the drop-down menu of the convocation/expected completion date degrees (it only goes up to 2014).

Seems odd, are you sure you are in the current AMCAS?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, I am pretty sure its the AMCAS 2016 application. I checked twice!

Under what course classification would Asian American Studies fall under?

Can you send an updated transcript to amcas before you submit?

Updated as in the same one just with few more grades added on from same institute

They have already received my original transcript

You need to call/email them first as multiple transcripts for the same institution can cause confusion at AMCAS and delay processing.

Can you send an updated transcript to amcas before you submit?

Updated as in the same one just with few more grades added on from same institute

They have already received my original transcript

You need to call/email them first as multiple transcripts for the same institution can cause confusion at AMCAS and delay processing.

Thank you, will do and I'll let u guys know for any other applicants wondering the same

Just to add to this, Many students think that they can send in transcripts early and then send in an update in to make things somehow get processed faster. In fact it can slow it down if not cause some questions/confusion at AMCAS. You should NOT send in a transcript until your all grades are available. Typically, this after all spring term grades are posted. Everyone should have an official copy for themselves as dates, course titles, etc you enter need to match what AMCAS will see on the official transcripts.

Issues with course verification and transcripts are the main reasons processing gets delayed!

This has been a public service announcement

Just to add to this, Many students think that they can send in transcripts early and then send in an update in to make things somehow get processed faster. In fact it can slow it down if not cause some questions/confusion at AMCAS. You should NOT send in a transcript until your all grades are available. Typically, this after all spring term grades are posted. Everyone should have an official copy for themselves as dates, course titles, etc you enter need to match what AMCAS will see on the official transcripts.

Issues with course verification and transcripts are the main reasons processing gets delayed!

This has been a public service announcement
On this note, my undergrad has a very different credits system than most schools/AMCAS use. Naturally, I entered my information as it appears on my official transcript. However, apparently, during verification, AMCAS will go through and change all of my credit hours to match their system. Our advisor said that we should read things carefully after verification because they often make mistakes in the conversion. My questions are:
1) If I see such a mistake, does it really benefit me at all to attempt to correct it? It'd likely just be the difference between 3 or 5 credits for a given course. I've played around with these things, and isolated instances of such changes rarely actually affect the overall gpa. So at most, it'd just look like I took 15 or 16 AMCAS credits in a semester vs 17 or so, which...big whoop, right?

2) If I do notify them of some mistake they've made during processing, does that reset my verification timeline?

On this note, my undergrad has a very different credits system than most schools/AMCAS use. Naturally, I entered my information as it appears on my official transcript. However, apparently, during verification, AMCAS will go through and change all of my credit hours to match their system. Our advisor said that we should read things carefully after verification because they often make mistakes in the conversion. :

Absolutely, it is YOUR responsibility to review as it is YOUR application and YOU'RE the one who will be impacted by it

1) If I see such a mistake, does it really benefit me at all to attempt to correct it? It'd likely just be the difference between 3 or 5 credits for a given course. I've played around with these things, and isolated instances of such changes rarely actually affect the overall gpa. So at most, it'd just look like I took 15 or 16 AMCAS credits in a semester vs 17 or so, which...big whoop, right?

I would agree with your reasoning, unless you get some whopper of an error it makes little sense

2) If I do notify them of some mistake they've made during processing, does that reset my verification timeline?

It will add time to review and fix but that wouldnt reset you all the way to the beginning. Error repair has a different workflow/processing stream than normal verification

Last edited:
Hi, quick question. I had to repeat a course I took freshmen year. So when I input the information for the course in my freshmen year, I indicated that I repeated it. Now when I input the course when I retook it (my junior year) do I need to indicate that this is the repeated course by clicking repeat? Or do I leave this one unchecked? Thank you for your help.

Hi, quick question. I had to repeat a course I took freshmen year. So when I input the information for the course in my freshmen year, I indicated that I repeated it. Now when I input the course when I retook it (my junior year) do I need to indicate that this is the repeated course by clicking repeat? Or do I leave this one unchecked? Thank you for your help.
You check the 'Repeat' box for both
AMCAS Instructions p43 said:
This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete.

^^Awesome thank you. The reason I asked was because on my official transcript, when I took the class my freshmen year, there is a symbol which signifies repeat, but on my junior year, there isn't any symbol. But thank you for helping me!

I had a question about the self identification section. I'm Asian American and I know that that's a disadvantage when applying for medical school (as in, they have higher standards than they do for other applicants since it's not an underrepresented minority), so I'm not sure if I should just leave it blank and not check off any ethnicity.
I've been told to my face from a BU medical school admissions counselor that if I was Black, I'd get in with a 3.5 but since I'm Asian, I'd need a 3.9, so I know this is a thing.
I have a similar question for income, does it sound weird to say "Do not know" if I don't want to share?

I have a question about LORs (sorry if it has been asked previously).
I have 5 letter writers at this point and they ALL know me immensely well. Most of them I have been close with for the past three years of undergrade. Breakdown:
3 engineering
1 engineering research PI
1 biology

Here's my question: Can I get a professor/university administrator to write me my non-science letter? I have been active in the LGBT community hosting panel discussions and starting mentorship programs for entering LGBT identifying students and the official I worked with is a professor in counseling psychology so I've been told her area corresponds to non-science. However, I have never had a class with her I have just worked with her. Would this still be permissible?

Additionally, if after attaining my non-science letter I have a very close family friend with whom I interacted through Big Brothers Big Sisters for my entire life (BBBS is a program that matches children without a father or a mother to an older mentor) could I utilize him as a letter writer? He's not family but he has known me such a long time and can speak to my character more than anyone I know.

Thanks!

wesome thank you. The reason I asked was because on my official transcript, when I took the class my freshmen year, there is a symbol which signifies repeat, but on my junior year, there isn't any symbol. But thank you for helping me!

As long as you didn't withdraw, both are marked as @mehc012 said.

Make sure you mark the first attempt with the grade received, not the symbol or notation the university uses for a repeat.

Would a job teaching CPR be considered medical or non-medical?

2 questions, both have to do with Declaring Majors:

1) If I changed majors within the time I was in undergrad, do I have to declare those majors, even though they were not on my diploma when I graduated?

2) I took some classes at a local junior college. Do I have to declare a major there even though I did graduate from there?

Thanks

Would a job teaching CPR be considered medical or non-medical?
Did you interact with patients?
Given that the answer is likely 'no', I'd say non-medical.

So I had everything ready as far as my LOR go and for some reason it randomly erased everything today. I no longer see the LOR requests I had made and it made me redo all of the schools atteneded and biographic information portion. I'm also aware that a few of my letter writers had already uploaded. Is there anyway to get this back or is this some sort of glitch?

Did you interact with patients?
Given that the answer is likely 'no', I'd say non-medical.

That would qualify as non-clinical. It is medical in the sense that I am teaching medical/patient care information to students. I could see it going either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.