*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have two questions about how to list my involvement in student government:

1. Should I group together my time spent as a Senator and Vice-President?
2. And just to be sure, holding a position in student government would be considered leadership, right?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have two questions about how to list my involvement in student government:

1. Should I group together my time spent as a Senator and Vice-President?
2. And just to be sure, holding a position in student government would be considered leadership, right?
1) You can group them or split them, as you wish, depending on space available and how much you want to say about each.

2) Yes, I'd use Leadership as the tag. Title could be something like, Student Government Senator and Vice-President.

I noticed earlier someone asked about summer camp for kids with disabilites as medical/clinical vs nonclinical and your response was:

"It depends on what your role was. If you were basically a camp counselor whose kids happened to have medical conditions, it's nonmedical. If OTOH, you checked VS, blood glucose, administered meds, changed, dressings, cathed, managed feeding tubes, or otherwise acted as a nurse's aide at times, it would be clinical."

I also volunteered at camp for children with disabilities and my time was split. Sometimes I was just a camp counselor having fun and mentoring the kids and sometimes I was changing diapers/clothes, bathing, helping and cleaning up in the bathroom, retrieving meds, changing caths.. I originally had it as medical/clinical and it's also a MM experience so it will get a clear description. Is it okay to leave it in that category? Thanks!

I noticed earlier someone asked about summer camp for kids with disabilites as medical/clinical vs nonclinical and your response was:

"It depends on what your role was. If you were basically a camp counselor whose kids happened to have medical conditions, it's nonmedical. If OTOH, you checked VS, blood glucose, administered meds, changed, dressings, cathed, managed feeding tubes, or otherwise acted as a nurse's aide at times, it would be clinical."

I also volunteered at camp for children with disabilities and my time was split. Sometimes I was just a camp counselor having fun and mentoring the kids and sometimes I was changing diapers/clothes, bathing, helping and cleaning up in the bathroom, retrieving meds, changing caths.. I originally had it as medical/clinical and it's also a MM experience so it will get a clear description. Is it okay to leave it in that category? Thanks!
From what you've described, yes.

1) You can group them or split them, as you wish, depending on space available and how much you want to say about each.

2) Yes, I'd use Leadership as the tag. Title could be something like, Student Government Senator and Vice-President.

Awesome. Thanks for answering my question.

I worked at my parents restaurant for 3 years (was on payroll etc) but they recently sold it and I'm not sure who to put for the contact information. Should I just not bother to include it? This would be my 9th or 10th activity.

I worked at my parents restaurant for 3 years (was on payroll etc) but they recently sold it and I'm not sure who to put for the contact information. Should I just not bother to include it? This would be my 9th or 10th activity.
An old manager, the accountant or bookkeeper, or one of your folks would do nicely. I expect you'll be explaining it was a family business.

One of my works/activities entries is "Archery" under the category "Hobby." I've practiced archery since I was five years old, and I continued doing it during my summer/winter breaks of college whenever I came back to my hometown (this is part of my description). Should I include all estimated hours since I was 5, or just do the hours I practiced archery during my college summer/winter breaks?

One of my works/activities entries is "Archery" under the category "Hobby." I've practiced archery since I was five years old, and I continued doing it during my summer/winter breaks of college whenever I came back to my hometown (this is part of my description). Should I include all estimated hours since I was 5, or just do the hours I practiced archery during my college summer/winter breaks?
It's your choice, but adcomms will be more interested in recent involvement. You could still summarize the back story, just as you did here, and have characters left to discuss impact, or traits revealed having pertinence to medicine . Or you could use the Repeated function to break hours down into datespans from pre-HS, HS, and college, then talk about degree of involvement at each stage.

I have a few thousand hours of clinical volunteering (medical advocacy in ER setting) as well as close to 400 hours of clinical work in a physical therapy clinic (rehabilitation exercises, performing ultrasound, setting up traction, etc). In addition, I've been in and out of the hospital for a number of years with some medical issues. Should I be logging any of this as shadowing? How do I make sure that my application doesn't get accidentally screened out for lack of shadowing experience?

I have a few thousand hours of clinical volunteering (medical advocacy in ER setting) as well as close to 400 hours of clinical work in a physical therapy clinic (rehabilitation exercises, performing ultrasound, setting up traction, etc). In addition, I've been in and out of the hospital for a number of years with some medical issues. Should I be logging any of this as shadowing? How do I make sure that my application doesn't get accidentally screened out for lack of shadowing experience?
All med schools don't require shadowing specifically, but even for those that don't, adcomm members may have their own expectations on how you should have acquainted yourself with what a doc's day is like. Interactions with your personal doctor would never be considered as adequate, but might help you answer some questions that are common in interviews.

Unless you were in the presence of physician's while they interacted with patients, you need to get in some dedicated physician shadowing time, so your application will be appealing to a braod range of schools and screeners. If you had that opportunity during any of the above experiences, it would be fair to carve out those hours and list them separately in a Shadowing space. PT, NP, or PA shadowing could be listed, too, but should not exceed the physician shadowing hours. About 50 shadowing hours is the average. Personally, I think of 40 being the minimum. And don't be like one of my interviewees who claimed he had 300 shadowing hours and could not answer a single one of my related questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
All med schools don't require shadowing specifically, but even for those that don't, adcomm members may have their own expectations on how you should have acquainted yourself with what a doc's day is like. Interactions with your personal doctor would never be considered as adequate, but might help you answer some questions that are common in interviews.

Unless you were in the presence of physician's while they interacted with patients, you need to get in some dedicated physician shadowing time, so your application will be appealing to a braod range of schools and screeners. If you had that opportunity during any of the above experiences, it would be fair to carve out those hours and list them separately in a Shadowing space. PT, NP, or PA shadowing could be listed, too, but should not exceed the physician shadowing hours. About 50 shadowing hours is the average. Personally, I think of 40 being the minimum. And don't be like one of my interviewees who claimed he had 300 shadowing hours and could not answer a single one of my related questions.

Thank you! That's helpful! For the medical advocacy, I am referring to working directly with physicians and nurses to take someone from start to finish through their time in the hospital after a sexual assault. This includes coaching residents on the sexual assault examination kit procedures, discussing prophylaxis options with patient and care team, ensuring physical exams are conducted with sensitivity, management of patient expectations for timing based on business of ER, etc. The second part of this role would be emotional support, police management and coordination with social workers / shelters for post hospital care. Would you split the experience into those two categories, giving one shadowing and the other clinical volunteering?

Thank you! That's helpful! For the medical advocacy, I am referring to working directly with physicians and nurses to take someone from start to finish through their time in the hospital after a sexual assault. This includes coaching residents on the sexual assault examination kit procedures, discussing prophylaxis options with patient and care team, ensuring physical exams are conducted with sensitivity, management of patient expectations for timing based on business of ER, etc. The second part of this role would be emotional support, police management and coordination with social workers / shelters for post hospital care. Would you split the experience into those two categories, giving one shadowing and the other clinical volunteering?
I would split it into at least two activities. Teaching residents and patients shouldn't be included. If you like though, and don't have another significant Teaching entry, you could split that component out on its own, as well. Just don't double count any hours.

I graduated as an honors student. Took a bunch of honor courses to get an honors degree. Should I list that in work/activities since my transcript doesn't show the honors degree I received? And if I do list it, what should I put in as the number of hours?

I graduated as an honors student. Took a bunch of honor courses to get an honors degree. Should I list that in work/activities since my transcript doesn't show the honors degree I received? And if I do list it, what should I put in as the number of hours?
You might list the Honors designation in an Honors/Awards space. The hours would be the amount of time you sat at the awards ceremony.

Is it okay to write something like this under the hobbies category:

"Aside from these activities, I help out a relative with his restaurant during my spare time. I can now make superb pasta thanks to him."

Is it okay to write something like this under the hobbies category:

"Aside from these activities, I help out a relative with his restaurant during my spare time. I can now make superb pasta thanks to him."
Put the hobby first, then the background. The way you wrote it made me wonder if you tagged the activity incorrectly.

"I am a superb pasta maker, thanks to a relative who gave me the opportunity . . .". Then tell me how you share the skill with others.

Put the hobby first, then the background. The way you wrote it made me wonder if you tagged the activity incorrectly.

"I am a superb pasta maker, thanks to a relative who gave me the opportunity . . .". Then tell me how you share the skill with others.

And of course, bring samples of pasta to the interview, along with fresh bread, fava beans, and a fine Chianti

Reactions: 1 user

Unfortunately, I do not have much space left to elaborate further. I added this activity in addition to my other hobbies...

Then leave out the back story and concentrate on the leisuretime component.

I apologize for dragging this simple activity and taking your time, but I hope this will suffice:

"Improving myself in the kitchen has also been fun; I am now a superb pasta maker after helping at a relative's restaurant."

I will probably only have 20 hours of shadowing one specialty by the time I send in my application. I will be shadowing throughout the summer and I'm planning on putting that in my application and mentioning I have 4 different specialties lined up.

Is that okay? Will this hurt me in any way?

-To follow up on this post, I have a large amount of hours working with physicians as a medical scribe, though around < 20 hours t0tal shadowing physicians in their office-based practices (one day each). I am scheduled to shadow another family practice physician in July, however I will be submitting my AMCAS app this coming week.
I'd like to include mention of the physician I will be shadowing in July, but when I write "total hours" in the AMCAS box, should I include the anticipated 8 hours I will be shadowing this doc in the total shadowing hours? (since AMCAS lets us enter future hours now).

-Additionally, I was debating whether add a brief mention of scribing and how it is similar to physician shadowing in the shadowing description box, just to make clear that I have spent a lot of time with doctors and feel I have a very good sense of what they do on a daily basis. I realize most adcom members probably are familiar with scribing, but in case some aren't, I thought it might be a good idea since most of my "shadowing" type hours are from scribing vs. traditional shadowing. It might be redundant, but would it be unwise/problematic to mention it? Thanks.

Last edited:
-To follow up on this post, I have a bit more than 2,000 hours working with physicians as a medical scribe, though around 15 hours t0tal shadowing two different physicians (endo and neuromusculoskeletal medicine) in their office-based practices (one day each). I am scheduled to shadow another family practice physician in July, however I will be submitting my AMCAS app this coming week.
I'd like to include mention of the physician I will be shadowing in July, but when I write "total hours" in the AMCAS box, should I include the anticipated 8 hours I will be shadowing this doc in the total shadowing hours? (since AMCAS lets us enter future hours now).

-Additionally, I was debating whether add a brief mention of scribing and how it is similar to physician shadowing in the shadowing description box, just to make clear that I have spent a lot of time with doctors and feel I have a very good sense of what they do on a daily basis. I realize most adcom members probably are familiar with scribing, but in case some aren't, I thought it might be a good idea since most of my "shadowing" type hours are from scribing vs. traditional shadowing. It might be redundant, but would it be unwise/problematic to mention it? Thanks.
In your special case, I will suggest you include the future hours in the Total Hours box, but make a note in the narrative that "X hours of FP shadowing scheduled for 7/?/16 included above."

I do think calling attention to the embedded and implied shadowing hours from your scribe job in the Shadowing space is a good idea. I hate to say it, and it's rare, but I've seen shadowing that's an embedded activity missed by low level screeners. It's best that you connect the dots.

I suggest you include the future hours in the Total Hours box, but make a note in the narrative that "X hours of FP shadowing scheduled for 7/?/16 included above."

I do think calling attention to the embedded and implied shadowing hours from your scribe job in the Shadowing space is a good idea. I hate to say it, and it's rare, but I've seen shadowing that's an embedded activity missed by low level screeners. It's best that you connect the dots.

Thank you!

I worked at a hospital doing a quality improvement project for their clinic and received a stipend. I got to shadow the providers and interacted with patients as part of the project and incorporated their feedback into the final product.

Would this be considered a paid clinical experience or just paid employment? Thanks!

So I'm having a bit if trouble fitting my descriptions into just 700 characters because I don't know what part of the description to take out.

The dean of admissions of one of my state schools said your activity section should explain the 3 following things;

1. What was the experience like

2. What did you give to it

3. What did you get out

Any tips? What would you say is most important? What I contributed? I'm having trouble because if I don't somewhat first explain the activity I'm not sure if all adcoms will know exactly what I'm talking about either.

Thanks.

-If an activity hasn't yet started, the program won't allow you to enter a future month.

-If you want to include the hours of a future activity that you are already engaged in, but keeping in mind that you won't be judged by future plans that could fall through, you can consider these options:

1) Use the Repeated feature to separate the Completed vs Future hours. This works if May 2016 is both your End Date for the Completed Hours and your Start Date for the future hours (you won't be permitted to enter and save a future start date that hasn't happened yet). Put the appropriate total in each Total Hours box. If you are graduating, say, May 2017, that is a reasonable end date to enter if you are sure you will stay involved with the activity for another year. August 2017 is the latest month you'd be allowed to enter. Include a conservative, in-good-faith guess on future hours for the second Total Hours box.

**Note that on June 1 you'll be able to enter June 2016 as the End Date for date range #1 and Start Date for date range #2, if you prefer.

2) Or, only list the Completed Hours in the Total Hours box using the appropriate Start and End Dates, then in the narrative box state that you plan to continue this activity from June 2016-May 2017 (or whatever) with a probable additional ?00 hours.

3) Or, do the same as in #2, but don't state anticipated Future hours, especially if there is any possibility they might not be completed. Just make a statement that you intend to continue with the activity for another X months.

I just came across this, but I already submitted and included future projected hours in the total. :( Am I screwed?

I worked at a hospital doing a quality improvement project for their clinic and received a stipend. I got to shadow the providers and interacted with patients as part of the project and incorporated their feedback into the final product.

Would this be considered a paid clinical experience or just paid employment?
Strictly speaking, since you got a stipend and didn't pay taxes, it was not paid employment (though you could call it that anyway). It sounds like it wasn't really research either. It would fit best under Other, as it was an activity with multiple components.

You could split out all the shadowing, and list that on its own, then be left with the project and the written report of the results (which is still best under Other). The question is: was it clinical or not? Exactly how did you interact with the patients? Did you hand them a form to fill out and then come back later to pick it up?

So I'm having a bit if trouble fitting my descriptions into just 700 characters because I don't know what part of the description to take out.

The dean of admissions of one of my state schools said your activity section should explain the 3 following things;

1. What was the experience like

2. What did you give to it

3. What did you get out

Any tips? What would you say is most important? What I contributed? I'm having trouble because if I don't somewhat first explain the activity I'm not sure if all adcoms will know exactly what I'm talking about either.

Thanks.
Restating in different words: If the activity description is not self-evident from the name, you must describe it. Then, what is your role. Did you learn anything? Some don't go beyond that. All activities don't lend themselves to the same formula. Some inspire you to go further and give impact and insights gained.

E.G.: Everyone knows what shadowing entails and your role, so you need not go into that. Research, OTOH, usually needs lots of description and report of what you did and techniques learned, leaving little space for introspection.

So flow with it. Get in the important elements that relay to adcomms aspects of yourself that make you a good candidate. Prune what seems less important or doesn't add to your candidacy.

I just came across this, but I already submitted and included future projected hours in the total. :( Am I screwed?
I didn't say these examples are the only way it can be done. I reported what I think is the best approach. Lots of applicants interpret the directions the same way you did, so I can't predict a likelihood of a negative outcome.

Two questions...
1) I currently work as a medical scribe, and was promoted to lead medical scribe. Right now I have the two positions listed separately because they both require different skill sets and are completely different experiences. I also have the two listed as most meaningful, and explain why each one is distinctly meaningful to me. Would the two separate entries seem redundant on my application?

2) If I had a poster presentation for a Neurobiology of Development course I took, could that go under the poster presentation category? Or is it mostly for posters that students did primary research for in a lab?

Two questions...
1) I currently work as a medical scribe, and was promoted to lead medical scribe. Right now I have the two positions listed separately because they both require different skill sets and are completely different experiences. I also have the two listed as most meaningful, and explain why each one is distinctly meaningful to me. Would the two separate entries seem redundant on my application?

2) If I had a poster presentation for a Neurobiology of Development course I took, could that go under the poster presentation category? Or is mostly for posters that students did primary research for in a lab?
1) No, not if you have plenty to say.

2) While you can list any poster you like in such a space, it really is meant for describing original work. What you are talking about would not enhance your candidacy.

Last edited:
1) No, not if yo have plenty to say.

2) While you can list any poster you like in such a space, it really is meant for describing original work. What you are talking about would not enhance your candidacy.
thank you!

Hello, I have a question to ask.
I have been teaching at a secondary institution since last year where I teach English, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, SAT.. etc. Should I place this in the category of Teaching/Tutor or would this be better fit for paid employment?
Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm currently using 1 activity entry to describe my participation in 2 different orchestras. I'm giving the contact info for the 2nd orchestra in the experience description box and was wondering if it would be okay to omit the contact's title in order to save characters? Thanks!

I have been teaching at a secondary institution since last year where I teach English, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, SAT.. etc. Should I place this in the category of Teaching/Tutor or would this be better fit for paid employment?
I would pick Teaching, unless you already have a stronger teaching activity listed.

Hi! I'm currently using 1 activity entry to describe my participation in 2 different orchestras. I'm giving the contact info for the 2nd orchestra in the experience description box and was wondering if it would be okay to omit the contact's title in order to save characters?
Yes.

So I have about 100 hours combined working for/shadowing my dad (physician) during summers of undergrad. I see conflicting information regarding whether I should list it or not since it's a family member. I have other shadowing experience (~40 hours) already so I'm not sure if I should throw it in as well.

So I have about 100 hours combined working for/shadowing my dad (physician) during summers of undergrad. I see conflicting information regarding whether I should list it or not since it's a family member. I have other shadowing experience (~40 hours) already so I'm not sure if I should throw it in as well.
From my point of view there is no downside to including shadowing with a family member. The bar is to getting an LOR from one. So list it all. Use a more objective contact than dad if possible, like an office manager or nurse, who was usually around when you were on the premises.

Do adcoms want to see how many hours per week I spent on the activity in the description? Considering I already put total hours and the time frame above?

Do adcoms want to see how many hours per week I spent on the activity in the description? Considering I already put total hours and the time frame above?

Personally, I find that average hours per week, gives an adcom a better idea of what this experience was like, how committed you were, etc.

Not necessarily (tho I like to see it), but if the number changed a lot seasonally or over time, you might mention that, like "Spent 10 hr/week over school terms, 30 hr/week over breaks."

From my point of view there is no downside to including shadowing with a family member. The bar is to getting an LOR from one. So list it all. Use a more objective contact than dad if possible, like an office manager or nurse, who was usually around when you were on the premises.

Will do, thanks. Also I'm having troubling fitting all my shadowing experience into one entry (700 characters). Should I just split it into 2 entries? So far I am giving name, number, city, hours, and a 1-2 sentence explanation on what I observed/got from it.

I worked at a hospital for 3 months doing a quality improvement project for their clinic and received a stipend. I got to shadow the providers and interacted with patients as part of the project and incorporated their feedback into the final product.

Would this be considered a paid clinical experience or just paid employment?

Sorry for the repost, but I wanted to get a more qualified opinion. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.