*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours is required to not look asinine when listing something as "most meaningful"? I have recently done shadowing at my institution, which was so moving to me that it pushed me to apply this year and helped me decide what field I believe I want to pursue. Though it is only currently like 70ish hours, I plan on continuing throughout the year and will get about 400 hours as an absolute minimum...

Can I list it as most meaningful since it is new (April)?
Yes. It won't look silly if you have gained interesting insights from the experience.

Side note: 400 hours is wayyyyyy more than you need to make your application appealing. Do it because you're interested, not because you think it will aid your cause.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It won't look silly if you have gained interesting insights from the experience.

Side note: 400 hours is wayyyyyy more than you need to make your application appealing. Do it because you're interested, not because you think it will aid your cause.
It is because I am intensely interested (and I am at a great place for this field)! That's the entire reason I want to make it one of my most meaningful. Just didn't know if putting Shadowing down as one was considered a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a consensus on how to report hobbies?
I'll be listing multiple hobbies and I haven't exactly been keeping track of hours, start dates etc..
On a similar note, I've been tutoring since 2008 and haven't been keeping track of my hours, mostly because my schedule changes so much. I was told by someone to put down 9999 and explain that this is the issue. Would that be the correct way of approaching both activities?

Thanks for the help on the last question. This might be a silly question. As I was working on the experience section and the experience details, I was wondering if they have to be in certain format. Do they have to be in complete sentences? Or Can I list things? Such as listing like the classes I taught and maybe the techniques I used at a lab. Also, if it were complete sentences, would it be okay to use first person? And finally, do all the experience descriptions have to be in the same format? Thank you for the help. Hope you can understand my question.

Is there a consensus on how to report hobbies?
I'll be listing multiple hobbies and I haven't exactly been keeping track of hours, start dates etc..
On a similar note, I've been tutoring since 2008 and haven't been keeping track of my hours, mostly because my schedule changes so much. I was told by someone to put down 9999 and explain that this is the issue. Would that be the correct way of approaching both activities?
There is no one correct way to list an activity. I'd suggest that using a 999 would be closer to reality (plus a comment in the explanation that true hours are unknowable). Alternatively, you can make a best-faith effort to calculate a number of hours that is reasonable for the tutoring. In the narrative you can explain that hours vary from 0-15 per week during the college years, or whatever, with breaks over school vacation (if applicable).

This might be a silly question. As I was working on the experience section and the experience details, I was wondering if they have to be in certain format. Do they have to be in complete sentences? Or Can I list things? Such as listing like the classes I taught and maybe the techniques I used at a lab. Also, if it were complete sentences, would it be okay to use first person? And finally, do all the experience descriptions have to be in the same format? Thank you for the help. Hope you can understand my question.
You can mix and match narrative style with lists (perhaps proceeded by numbers or a dash or star, since a true bullet will not format correctly) within a space. Each activity should be approached separately, with the style used that best communicates the information, so don't feel compelled to make each space the same format. First person is fine.

How should I go about reporting a shadowing experience abroad if I don't exactly remember the names of the physicians I shadowed or their contact information? This took place on one day and was not a recurring event.

I'm trying to figure out what experience type personal trainer would fall under and I have a couple questions:
1. If I were to list it as employment would it be considered paid medical/paid nonmedical?
2. In addition to one on one work I also teach classes. I feel like everything I do requires leadership skills. Plus, I don't have anything under the leadership category yet. Would it be okay to list it as a leadership experience or should I only list it once?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was sending my C.V. to someone this morning and I realized I messed up a year range on two of my experiences. I was concerned that I did the same on my AMCAS app that I submitted early June, and balls, I did.

Two of my experiences say:
August 2015 - June 2016

When they should have been
August 2014 - June 2015 (my graduation month)

It's bad because it now looks like I have three different positions after graduation in cities 4 hours apart. I also appear to have a pretty blank senior year because of this mistake =/

AMCAS told me to contact my schools but when I called one of the schools I applied to, they said they had no secondary prompt for this kind of thing and don't accept attachments to applications. Do you think this is worth emailing other schools or putting on secondaries that have applicable prompts? Or is this a mistake that schools will understand? Thank you!

How should I go about reporting a shadowing experience abroad if I don't exactly remember the names of the physicians I shadowed or their contact information? This took place on one day and was not a recurring event.
You might add as an addendum at the end of the US Shadowing space: "Included in the above hours are 6 hours of [specialty] shadowing in [country or recognizable city] in 12/15.

I'm trying to figure out what experience type personal trainer would fall under and I have a couple questions:
1. If I were to list it as employment would it be considered paid medical/paid nonmedical?
2. In addition to one on one work I also teach classes. I feel like everything I do requires leadership skills. Plus, I don't have anything under the leadership category yet. Would it be okay to list it as a leadership experience or should I only list it once?
1) Unless you worked predominantly with injured athletes/persons whom you helped with rehab, I suggest it would be nonclinical. Besides Employment, you could also consider placing this in a Teaching category.

2) The teaching of classes rarely falls into a Leadership category. For AMCAS purposes, you'd want to list peer leadership. If, for example, you are showing other personal trainers how to teach properly, you provide the curriculum they teach, you schedule them, and take overall responsibility for their efforts, that would be a good activity for a Leadership designation, as would recruiting, training, monitoring other class teachers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was sending my C.V. to someone this morning and I realized I messed up a year range on two of my experiences. I was concerned that I did the same on my AMCAS app that I submitted early June, and balls, I did.

Two of my experiences say:
August 2015 - June 2016

When they should have been
August 2014 - June 2015 (my graduation month)

It's bad because it now looks like I have three different positions after graduation in cities 4 hours apart. I also appear to have a pretty blank senior year because of this mistake =/

AMCAS told me to contact my schools but when I called one of the schools I applied to, they said they had no secondary prompt for this kind of thing and don't accept attachments to applications. Do you think this is worth emailing other schools or putting on secondaries that have applicable prompts? Or is this a mistake that schools will understand?
It's an understandable and easily explained mistake. Correct the dates where you have the chance, but don't worry about schools that don't give that opportunity. Were a call/email made to a Contact, the dates would be sorted out quickly.

I would just make one single slot "Publications" and list the citations there.

(also this isn't my FAQ, it's been passed down since the dawn of time - I just posted it ;) )
I apologize in advance if someone has already asked the same question. Since the descriptions box doesn't keep the formatting, if I list the multiple publications (or employment history, such as that shown in the example) in the description box, do I need to have it in a paragraph? If I did bullets like the example, it would just be a jumbled paragraph when ADCOM gets it right? How would people suggest I best to that?

Is the method for shadowing in the OP what everyone uses?

"Jill Smith, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2011"

Why don't adcoms want to see what we learned from the shadowing experience? Some of the physicians I shadowed seemed to be great role models for bedside manner, for example.

Since the descriptions box doesn't keep the formatting, if I list the multiple publications (or employment history, such as that shown in the example) in the description box, do I need to have it in a paragraph? If I did bullets like the example, it would just be a jumbled paragraph when ADCOM gets it right? How would people suggest I best to that?
If you type directly into the box, it will keep the formating. Real bullets can't be used, but numbers, dashes, or stars can be. Two hard returns (hitting Enter twice) creates a space between paragraphs. To see the entry as adcomms will view it, go to Main Menu>Print>PDF view.

Is the method for shadowing in the OP what everyone uses?

"Jill Smith, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2011"

Why don't adcoms want to see what we learned from the shadowing experience? Some of the physicians I shadowed seemed to be great role models for bedside manner, for example.
Shadowing entries can be listed more efficiently than that if you want space for recording reflections and impact. If you have more to say, then share it.

In your special case, I will suggest you include the future hours in the Total Hours box, but make a note in the narrative that "X hours of FP shadowing scheduled for 7/?/16 included above."

I do think calling attention to the embedded and implied shadowing hours from your scribe job in the Shadowing space is a good idea. I hate to say it, and it's rare, but I've seen shadowing that's an embedded activity missed by low level screeners. It's best that you connect the dots.

Catalystik, would you suggest adding the hours from scribing in the shadowing box as well? At the moment I have the hours from shadowing only in the shadowing hours box, and then I mention in the narrative that I also have x,xxx hours shadowing M.D.s through my work as a scribe. And I then discuss being a scribe in its own section in more detail and included the total hours scribing in that section. Thank you again.

If you type directly into the box, it will keep the formating. Real bullets can't be used, but numbers, dashes, or stars can be. Two hard returns (hitting Enter twice) creates a space between paragraphs. To see the entry as adcomms will view it, go to Main Menu>Print>PDF view.
Got it! Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if they saw the pdf form or the html. The html looks like a mess.

Catalystik, would you suggest adding the hours from scribing in the shadowing box as well? At the moment I have the hours from shadowing only in the shadowing hours box, and then I mention in the narrative that I also have x,xxx hours shadowing M.D.s through my work as a scribe. And I then discuss being a scribe in its own section in more detail and included the total hours scribing in that section. Thank you again.
I suggest not mentioning the specific number of scribing hours in two separate places. Instead, perhaps say, "In addition to the formal shadowing hours above, I have worked as a part-time scribe (described elsewhere) for xx months directly observing physician-patient interaction."

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Catalystik,

So I worked two jobs during the summer after my freshman year. One was at a retail store for a month, and the other was at a fast food store for about three months. I left the first job because I did not get enough hours to work.

Then during the summer after my sophomore year I worked another retail job for about three months.

Should I list all of these jobs under one entry, or have two entries with one for the two separate retail jobs, and one for the food service job? If I do this, is it possible to put different contacts and hours for the first entry?

I can speak about what I learned at the 3 month food service jobs and 3 month retail job individually, but I wasnt sure if this would be seen as being repetitive even though I gleaned different things from each experience
Thanks so much!

So I worked two jobs during the summer after my freshman year. One was at a retail store for a month, and the other was at a fast food store for about three months. I left the first job because I did not get enough hours to work.

Then during the summer after my sophomore year I worked another retail job for about two to three months.

Should I list all of these jobs under one entry, or have two entries with one for the two separate retail jobs, and one for the food service job? If I do this, is it possible to put different contacts and hours for the first entry?
I suggest it would be most efficient to use one space for all three Short-Term Seasonal Employment gigs. Put the most recent first and use that job's dates and info in the header. Add the last two in reverse chronological order with dates. Give similar information in the narrative that you provided for the first. Put in a subtotal of hours for all three with its description, then put the grand total of hours in the Total Hours box.

I suggest it would be most efficient to use one space for all three Short-Term Seasonal Employment gigs. Put the most recent first and use that job's dates and info in the header. Add the last two in reverse chronological order with dates. Give similar information in the narrative that you provided for the first. Put in a subtotal of hours for all three with its description, then put the grand total of hours in the Total Hours box.
Thank you very much!

Hi Catalystik,

I was wondering if it is looked down upon to list a clinical volunteering experience as one of my most important. The reason that I ask is because my childhood experiences pushed me away from medicine but this one volunteering experience drew me in and showed me another side of medicine (and myself) that I wasn't aware of before college. At the same time, I don't want my description to come off sappy or too cliche.

TIA

I started volunteering at the hospital the summer going into my junior year of high school. Then did the following two summers as well. Summer after my freshman year of college, I had to get surgery so I had no volunteering. The following summer, going into my junior year of college, I continued that same position. Should I mention the three summers I volunteered since they were during high school? Since I continued while I was in college for 1 summer?

Hi Catalystik,

I was wondering if it is looked down upon to list a clinical volunteering experience as one of my most important. The reason that I ask is because my childhood experiences pushed me away from medicine but this one volunteering experience drew me in and showed me another side of medicine (and myself) that I wasn't aware of before college. At the same time, I don't want my description to come off sappy or too cliche.
Absolutely not. This category is one of the most commonly designated as MM. Be as genuine as you can in your description of its impact on you.

Reactions: 1 users
I started volunteering at the hospital the summer going into my junior year of high school. Then did the following two summers as well. Summer after my freshman year of college, I had to get surgery so I had no volunteering. The following summer, going into my junior year of college, I continued that same position. Should I mention the three summers I volunteered since they were during high school? Since I continued while I was in college for 1 summer?
Definitely list all three date spans, using the Repeated feature. Since the activity continued after HS graduation, aka "into the college years," it's legit.

Thank you so much! I think I just needed to hear that from someone else. I mentioned an anecdote from the experience in my personal statement and would like to expand on it more. I hope my description comes across as genuine given that my decision to go into medicine was solidified as a result.

@Catalystik

Hopefully this will be my last question for you. Still in a pickle about my most meaningful (I know, I know...just pick the ones you want. But I really have 4!)

Which is framed best/seems like it contributes better to my medical path? All 4 are incredibly important to me:

1) NIH research: I have not been here long (~8-9 months) and the lab environment is fairly stressful because of the large amount of fighting done by my lab. It is definitely not a low stress department...I have learned a lot but it is a physics laboratory focused on enzyme mechanisms. This has been one of the most meaningful things to me because not only do I love research, but this was the research activity (out of 4) that showed me that I do not want to pursue a basic research career.
2) NIH shadowing: the one I talked to you earlier about. It has also been short (April), but it has really shown me what specialty I think I want to do and pushed me into finally accepting that medicine is the career I want to pick.
3) Advanced Chemistry TA: I created small review classes for junior/senior level advanced chemistry classes to help the students pass notoriously difficult classes, a program which has continued in my leave. This has been one of my most meaningful because of the hours I put into getting to know the students well. It showed me that I want to move beyond the "behind the scenes" work of just grading to help the students directly (analogous to my decision to leave basic medical research)
4) Fine Arts performer: I did ballet pretty intensively as a kid (3-16), and eventually quit due to bad tendonitis in my knees. I kept up somewhat in HS and college, but not rigorously. I took up fiddling and theatre (mostly directing and doing stage work, though I had a few leads) in its place...both of which I also did intensely, though mostly in HS (gulp). I still played violin in college as a hobby and also did college choir for a term, etc. Basically I have always been involved one way or another in the arts. THis is most meaningful to me beause of how much I care about human expression and understanding the emotions of others via many forms.

Any thoughts? I know that's an earful. I just don't know which would be best to cut...On one hand, research has to be one of my most meaningful, and the NIH is the most rigorous, though the shortest. Shadowing just showed me a specialty I liked and I shadowed physicians I liked. TAing showed me how to overcome awkwardness to interact comfortably with students and help them directly, but this is not directly related to medicine. Fine arts is...well, much older, to be honest.

@CatalystikStill in a pickle about my most meaningful (I know, I know...just pick the ones you want. But I really have 4!)

Which is framed best/seems like it contributes better to my medical path? All 4 are incredibly important to me:

1) NIH research: I have not been here long (~8-9 months) and the lab environment is fairly stressful because of the large amount of fighting done by my lab. It is definitely not a low stress department...I have learned a lot but it is a physics laboratory focused on enzyme mechanisms. This has been one of the most meaningful things to me because not only do I love research, but this was the research activity (out of 4) that showed me that I do not want to pursue a basic research career.
2) NIH shadowing: the one I talked to you earlier about. It has also been short (April), but it has really shown me what specialty I think I want to do and pushed me into finally accepting that medicine is the career I want to pick.
3) Advanced Chemistry TA: I created small review classes for junior/senior level advanced chemistry classes to help the students pass notoriously difficult classes, a program which has continued in my leave. This has been one of my most meaningful because of the hours I put into getting to know the students well. It showed me that I want to move beyond the "behind the scenes" work of just grading to help the students directly (analogous to my decision to leave basic medical research)
4) Fine Arts performer: I did ballet pretty intensively as a kid (3-16), and eventually quit due to bad tendonitis in my knees. I kept up somewhat in HS and college, but not rigorously. I took up fiddling and theatre (mostly directing and doing stage work, though I had a few leads) in its place...both of which I also did intensely, though mostly in HS (gulp). I still played violin in college as a hobby and also did college choir for a term, etc. Basically I have always been involved one way or another in the arts. THis is most meaningful to me beause of how much I care about human expression and understanding the emotions of others via many forms.

Any thoughts? I know that's an earful. I just don't know which would be best to cut...On one hand, research has to be one of my most meaningful, and the NIH is the most rigorous, though the shortest. Shadowing just showed me a specialty I liked and I shadowed physicians I liked. TAing showed me how to overcome awkwardness to interact comfortably with students and help them directly, but this is not directly related to medicine. Fine arts is...well, much older, to be honest.
Look at the bolded type for choice #1. Is that what you meant to say? If so, I would cut that one. If you wrote this in error, I'd take out #4, as it's sorta all over the place.

Look at the bolded type for choice #1. Is that what you meant to say? If so, I would cut that one. If you wrote this in error, I'd take out #4, as it's sorta all over the place.
I think so? It's a little late for me, sorry. Out of my four research experiences, this was the one that really drove me to make the decision to pursue clinical medicine. Before I had been on the fence perpetually.

Also thanks. Should I still include it in my AMCAS or should I just replace it with another hobby or keep it? More recent hobbies are self teaching myself languages (I want to do international work, but I am not at all fluent in any of the languages, so I hesitated to put this in) and lifting weights.

Should I still include it in my AMCAS or should I just replace it with another hobby or keep it? More recent hobbies are self teaching myself languages (I want to do international work, but I am not at all fluent in any of the languages, so I hesitated to put this in) and lifting weights.
Not sure what you mean by "it". I think it's fine to keep the NIH research gig in a regular space (or a MM one), but I suggest not expressing a negative about research.

For the Artistic Endeavors, it would be better to focus on fewer expressions of them that you've engaged in most recently.

Not sure what you mean by "it". I think it's fine to keep the NIH research gig in a regular space (or a MM one), but I suggest not expressing a negative about research.

For the Artistic Endeavors, it would be better to focus on fewer expressions of them that you've engaged in most recently.
Oops. I meant "it" as the artistic endeavors. I can focus on music for now.

I am having a little trouble grouping things together. I am grouping all of my shadowing, hobbies, and honors together, but now I am thinking about un-grouping some things. I have fashion designing and blogging as one of my hobbies, but I think I should put that under artistic endeavors instead because I don't have anything for that. The problem is that I already have 15 things before I wanted to un-group that, so I am wondering what other categories I could group together. I have two pre med groups listed and I was actually a part of three so maybe I could make one listing for all three? But I had officer positions in two of them for three years each. Is it ok to group something like that together?

Additonally, should I try to include all of my activities to the greatest extent? I know quality is better than quantity, but I did have a lot of activities in college so most of them would be "high quality" but it's hard to fit everything since there are more than 15.

I was selected to speak as a biology major at an orientation video showcasing my college for two consecutive years. It is privately posted on youtube but anyone can access it as long as the link is provided. Should I include links to the two videos on the description?

I was in an honor's major and wrote a thesis. Should I include this as a "presentation" since I had to do a thesis presentation.

It's an understandable and easily explained mistake. Correct the dates where you have the chance, but don't worry about schools that don't give that opportunity. Were a call/email made to a Contact, the dates would be sorted out quickly.

Heya, thanks for the response! Do you think I should contact every school that I applied to (probably would call)? I searched this problem in the forums and it seems like most people just chose to ignore it and only explained it if it came up in an interview.

I am having a little trouble grouping things together. I am grouping all of my shadowing, hobbies, and honors together, but now
1) I am thinking about un-grouping some things. I have fashion designing and blogging as one of my hobbies, but I think I should put that under artistic endeavors instead because I don't have anything for that.

2) The problem is that I already have 15 things before I wanted to un-group that, so I am wondering what other categories I could group together. I have two pre med groups listed and I was actually a part of three so maybe I could make one listing for all three? But I had officer positions in two of them for three years each. Is it ok to group something like that together?

3) Additonally, should I try to include all of my activities to the greatest extent? I know quality is better than quantity, but I did have a lot of activities in college so most of them would be "high quality" but it's hard to fit everything since there are more than 15.
1) I think that your fashion interests would fit well under Artistic Endeavors. Good idea.

2) The two clubs with leadership roles can be put together. If the two clubs are currently under Leadership (and encompassing the dates and hours of leadership only), you shouldn't add the third club (which may not be much of a boost anyway, unless it led to volunteer opportunities). If you are tagging the space as Extracurricular, then you can put all three together.

3) Don't overdo the grouping, as some adcomms get annoyed when every space is jam packed with activities (their feeling is that each should only have one, which is obviously ridiculous, IMO). Stick to the high quality stuff that you feel actually adds to your candidacy.

I was selected to speak as a biology major at an orientation video showcasing my college for two consecutive years. It is privately posted on youtube but anyone can access it as long as the link is provided. Should I include links to the two videos on the description?
You can, but I don' think it's worth the link space to include them. No one will watch them. If you feel the activity of being selected as a spokesman and producing the video enhances your application in some way, a description will do.

I was in an honor's major and wrote a thesis. Should I include this as a "presentation" since I had to do a thesis presentation.
Unless your thesis is based on original, hypothesis-based research, describing the process of completing a thesis is generally tagged as Other. A campus presentation for either research or a thesis is best included in the related descriptive space. Be sure to distinguish between a podium presentation vs a poster presentation.

You can, but I don' think it's worth the link space to include them. No one will watch them. If you feel the activity of being selected as a spokesman and producing the video enhances your application in some way, a description will do.

Thank you very much!

Heya, thanks for the response! Do you think I should contact every school that I applied to (probably would call)? I searched this problem in the forums and it seems like most people just chose to ignore it and only explained it if it came up in an interview.
Ignoring it is a viable option, as it was an innocent mistake. But I understand how it feels to have a burning hole in your psyche until you've done all you can to correct a mistake (being a bit Type-A myself).

If you just can't relax about it: First figure out which Secondaries give you a chance to make the correction via a prompt like "Is there anything else you want us to know?" Or, " Include additional comments here." For the rest make the call asking whether you can add a correction to your file by sending an email. If neither of these approaches will work, then let it go. Keep in mind, it may not get noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.