***Official April 2006 Score Release Countdown Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the continuing spirit of the tradition started last year, we will hold this as your official countdown til score release thread. You can use this as a countdown, but may also post in here general conversation if you are just going insane over this wait. Also, this may not be an exact of when the scores will come out, but we don't know how many days before the official 60 days are over they will come out. Last year, they came out around June 15th at 10pm. But this will give us a rough approximation.

Ok, let the fun begin.........

59 days and counting........

Lets pray for all of you and for my very best roommate, and two of my other bestest friends. :D May all come with good news in the following two months.

This is for the neurotic ones who just need somewhere to vent their frustration over the wait. :p

Members don't see this ad.

doc G said:
Cheers on the wine..I have been married for 3 years, and i have 2 little ones ( 19 months and 7 wks) and my wife seems to get the picture and is very supportive. i guess the Organic Chem was her warm up for this

I have been married almost three years and have a two year old and 7 month old. My husband and I fight too much about the house being messy to bother worrying about pre-med issues. In theory my house would be cleaner if I spent less time studying/going on SDN but in reality, I'm just a messy person. He's an architect.... Oh, but I do think it blows his mind how much applications cost! I keep reminding him it's our retirement plan...

MiesVanDerMom said:
I have been married almost three years and have a two year old and 7 month old. My husband and I fight too much about the house being messy to bother worrying about pre-med issues. In theory my house would be cleaner if I spent less time studying/going on SDN but in reality, I'm just a messy person. He's an architect.... Oh, but I do think it blows his mind how much applications cost! I keep reminding him it's our retirement plan...

I hear ya. I am married and have a 2 year old, and we are also expecting TWINS this fall! Add to this my wife and I work full time while i'm stressfully waiting for my MCAT scores. Oh, and we are undergoing some house renovations. Talk about messy!

Good lord, I just had to read 5 pages to catch up! ;)

JulietsMonster said:
So for yall in Boston... what must I do in the 2 months that Im here?
I haven't really been here long, and I've been stressed-out studying for most of that time (and refusing to leave the house during the winter! I'm from Texas -- I don't like this weather.)

I have to say, though, go see the USS Constitution. Especially if you've ever read the Master and Commander books. It's incredibly interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
doc G said:
hey...I have been here suffering with you guys a week or so now...where are my jumping clappers :(

Aww...well, it seems like a lot of new people are showing up because of scores, so it's hard for everyone to keep track. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get any jumping clappers, either. So, for you and for me (and anyone else who wants them!):

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haemulon said:
I hear ya. I am married and have a 2 year old, and we are also expecting TWINS this fall! Add to this my wife and I work full time while i'm stressfully waiting for my MCAT scores. Oh, and we are undergoing some house renovations. Talk about messy!

Congrats to all the premed parents and expectant parents!

I am getting married in October...it has been SO fun working full time, taking classes, studying for the mcat, and trying to plan a wedding. Luckily, my fiance is my biggest cheerleader :)

It is actually great to be surrounded (virtually) by so many diverse and busy people...very reassuring as a non-trad.

scooter02 said:
I absolutely LOVE Deadliest Catch!!! I started watching it once totally by accident, and now I'm completely hooked!!

Hah, just realized I kind of accidentally made a fishing joke... except for that they catch crab (OK sometimes cod) and it's in pots not with hooks... wow, it's getting to be bedtime here on the west coast!!

I LOVE that show too! I can watch it all day if there is a marathon on. My husband is shocked that I love that show so much. I thought that I was the only one.

thank god i'm packing and leaving for haiti on MONDAY which means i get my scores and send my application from Haiti which is just two weeks before i move to Chad... at least i can't think about it too much... but BLAH! i check about every four hours...

maydak said:
thank god i'm packing and leaving for haiti on MONDAY which means i get my scores and send my application from Haiti which is just two weeks before i move to Chad... at least i can't think about it too much... but BLAH! i check about every four hours...

Hey all, I am one of the lurkers too! I have been reading your posts for a couple weeks now, and you have certainly kept me entertained!

But Maydak, I wanted to ask you, are you applying to med school this summer; because, I saw that your are going to Chad, and I was wondering how you planned on doing the whole application thing (including interviews) while abroad. I was planning on going back to Egpyt at the end of this summer for about a year, but I decided against it b/c I thought it would be nearly impossible to apply and invertview form there.

BallerinaDoc said:
Congrats to all the premed parents and expectant parents!

I am getting married in October...it has been SO fun working full time, taking classes, studying for the mcat, and trying to plan a wedding. Luckily, my fiance is my biggest cheerleader :)

It is actually great to be surrounded (virtually) by so many diverse and busy people...very reassuring as a non-trad.

I have been gratified to see a number of non-trads on here as well. While typically, non-trad applicants have lower acceptance rates, I think that this is due mainly to a number of people with low gpa's and mcat scores (since the material, for us, is much farther back to remember). However, we really do, I think, have an advantage in bringing our additional life experiences, work, etc ... to bear during the app process. One would hope that there are points given for development in maturity and experience with interviewing as well as having, in many cases, additional topics to discuss. I know that I did not feel ready for med school right out of college, so my hat is off to all of you excellent candidates who have the confidence to jump right in there from the start!

Haemulon said:
I have been gratified to see a number of non-trads on here as well. While traditionally non-trad applicants have lower acceptance rates, I think that this is due mainly to a number of people with low gpa's and mcat scores (since the material, for us, is much farther back to remember). However, we really do, I think, have an advantage in bringing our additional life experiences, work, etc ... to bear during the app process. One would hope that there are points given for development in maturity and experience with interviewing as well as having, in many cases, additional topics to discuss. I know that I did not feel ready for med school right out of college, so my hat is off to all of you excellent candidates who have the confidence to jump right in there from the start!

I completely agree. I could not have handled this kind of competitive stress as an undergrad. :clap: :clap: to all you undergrads.

I am married as well. My husband will graduate from law school next year and hopefully I will be starting med school! He has been very supportive but he's living in a different state for the summer and hasn't had to put up with me during this score release fiasco! :laugh:

JulietsMonster said:
So for yall in Boston... what must I do in the 2 months that Im here?

Oh, the places you'll go (in Boston)...

You'll travel to Downtown, and see many fine shops
You'll walk through the Common and as you continue your hops
You'll head to Beacon Hill, quite a nice place
There you'll find cafes, cute shops, and lots of space
If you are feeling adventrous, and I think you should
You'll head to Harvard Square, it's really quite good
And though there's much more, you certainly can't miss
Great wining and dining in the North End, what bliss!

So if you keep your eyes peeled in Boston, you know
Oh the things you will find, the people you'll see, the places...you'll go. :)

(just came up with that one on the fly)

It is frustrating that the biggest hold up on scores is grading the writing section. No school in America cares at all about that section! It is not even a good tie-breaker. They don't even look at the writing section! And the writing section is what keeps the scores from getting released the day after the administration. Lame.

Members don't see this ad :)
a few other nice Boston summer things:

Shakespeare on the Common (nice, outside, free!)
http://www.freeshakespeare.org/

Chowderfest
http://www.bostonharborfest.com/main/chowderfest.html

Fenway tours (and Red Sox games, of course!)
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ballpark/index.jsp

There are some great places to eat/have summer cocktails on the waterfront (easily accessible by T)
http://www.tiaswaterfront.com/flash_content/flash_home.html
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-62306/??&t=0

also, you can register for free at Boston.com and check out the calendar section for many cool events (dance, theater, music, benefits, etc)

Hope this helps!

LifetimeDoc said:
I wonder why the MCAT folks are holding so hard and fast to the August 20th release date. I would be willing to bet they already have the scores and are purposefully witholding them for some strange reason.
There must be a reason that the last couple of score releases occurred at night (maybe server issues). Also that last couple of releases occurred after approx. 57 days. If the MCAT folks are planning on releasing the scores at night again, and I think they will Monday night, then the next earliest date they could have released the scores would have been Thursday night because of the weekend and Thursday only gives them 55 days and that might pushing it just a bit. Just my thoughts

BallerinaDoc said:

Chowderfest

There are some great places to eat/have summer cocktails on the waterfront (easily accessible by T)

also, you can register for free at Boston.com and check out the calendar section for many cool events (dance, theater, music, benefits, etc)

Hope this helps!

And there's always the scooper bowl which is like a free-for-all ice cream buffet sometime in july... or june... if i don't remember wrongly... all you can eat ice cream for $5

I think AAMC should replace the NSA/CIA as the leading intelligence agency in the country. Considering they have so many employees, they sure keep secrets well...

kemper said:
The following question was asked at the Mcat discussion board and the following reply by the staff

All Forums
MCAT General Discussion
General Q & A
MCAT Staff New Topic Reply to Topic
Printer Friendly

Author Topic
lanae43

52 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2004 : 23:22:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if someone could explain why it takes 60 days to process the scores. I understand that the essays must take forever to grade, but have they ever considered releasing the other scores earlier, so people could have a idea of how they did minus the written portion?

Khenon

204 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 08:16:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have an answer to your question, but I heard (yes, more gossip) that it only takes 1 minute for the graders to read over our essays. I just thought that was funny. It further makes you wonder what takes so long. My guess (and this is completely a guess), is that it takes a while because there are several different formats of the exam and the final scores are based on how well everyone did. So they need the scores from across the country before they can even start figuring out the statistics for each exam and come up with a final scale. I have no idea if this is really true . . . just a guess. Hopefully the MCAT staff will get back with you. Take care.

Staff

0 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 09:50:44

It takes every bit as long to get the multiple-choice section scores ready as it does to get the essay scores. It's almost a month before all the boxes are back, the sheets counted and scanned, the data file cleaned, and the registration data matched with the answer sheets. (And in computer-based testing, that final data file will be ready the next morning!) We also have content people review the rationale for the answer keys for any questions that are challenged by examinees or for which the stats look funny. Only then can we calculate final number correct scores and begin the process of equating all of the forms onto a common scale. The times when we almost didn't make the 60 day deadline were more often because of delays with the multiple-choice sections than with the essays.

I know people sometimes think we are just twiddling our thumbs or sadistically enjoying your anxiety for those sixty days, but, believe me, we are busting our butts to get those scores out.
Thanks! It's really useful!

premdAshley said:
Just curious......who else is married? How do your spouses handle the whole pre-med thing? Most of the pre-meds at my school are really young- I only know one other married girl.

Cheers to our husbands and wives for dealing with our mental anguish!!! :love:
By the way, I am about to have a glass of wine............

I'm married too. So far pre-med has been easy since I'm now out of college and wasn't pre-med when I was in college (although I took all but one prereq anyway). Now I think he's starting to think I'm crazy with all this pre-MCAT release anxiety. Nevertheless, I'm hoping for a relatively smooth transition into med school. I'm lucky that my husband has a great deal of job flexibility and will be able to move with me wherever I get in.

He and I went to different colleges, so I can appreciate what you guys are going through that are separated for the summer (or longer). How are you all preparing your spouses for increased work load and time apart once med school starts? (possibly, depending on what you're all doing now)

zimmie256 said:
I'm married too. So far pre-med has been easy since I'm now out of college and wasn't pre-med when I was in college (although I took all but one prereq anyway). Now I think he's starting to think I'm crazy with all this pre-MCAT release anxiety. Nevertheless, I'm hoping for a relatively smooth transition into med school. I'm lucky that my husband has a great deal of job flexibility and will be able to move with me wherever I get in.

He and I went to different colleges, so I can appreciate what you guys are going through that are separated for the summer (or longer). How are you all preparing your spouses for increased work load and time apart once med school starts? (possibly, depending on what you're all doing now)

I'm not sure how the workload will work out, especiialy with 3 small children. my wife will need to keep working if at all possible (takes both our salaries right now, and I will obviously not continue to work once I start med school). Day care costs are horrendous too. Too much to worry about right now, it will work out one way or another.

scentimint said:
Oh, the places you'll go (in Boston)...

You'll travel to Downtown, and see many fine shops
You'll walk through the Common and as you continue your hops
You'll head to Beacon Hill, quite a nice place
There you'll find cafes, cute shops, and lots of space
If you are feeling adventrous, and I think you should
You'll head to Harvard Square, it's really quite good
And though there's much more, you certainly can't miss
Great wining and dining in the North End, what bliss!

So if you keep your eyes peeled in Boston, you know
Oh the things you will find, the people you'll see, the places...you'll go. :)

(just came up with that one on the fly)
That was AWESOME!!! Ive been to downtown, spent a few afternoon in the Commons, I live right near Harvard Square... so it looks like I just have to hit up Beacon Hill and the North End. Thanks for the idears!

BallerinaDoc said:

Chowderfest

Hope this helps!
Great Ideas!

To pass the time to the score release I suggest bumping up very old threads for fun. Just don't do it too much or QofQuimica will go Chuck Norris on you!

Iamdumb said:
And there's always the scooper bowl which is like a free-for-all ice cream buffet sometime in july... or june... if i don't remember wrongly... all you can eat ice cream for $5
actually the scooper bowl just happened. i think it's over now.

JulietsMonster said:
That was AWESOME!!! Ive been to downtown, spent a few afternoon in the Commons, I live right near Harvard Square... so it looks like I just have to hit up Beacon Hill and the North End. Thanks for the idears!
:laugh: idears....

Haemulon said:
I'm not sure how the workload will work out, especiialy with 3 small children. my wife will need to keep working if at all possible (takes both our salaries right now, and I will obviously not continue to work once I start med school). Day care costs are horrendous too. Too much to worry about right now, it will work out one way or another.

Things will be fine. Don't worry for now. Just apply and wing it when the time comes...

DrVanNostran said:
Damn did anyone just see the Saudi and Tunisia game? That ending was wild.

My scores arent up either lol.
Yeah, I followed it from work... On paper it was supposed to be really boring, though :)

I will leave work early soon to watch the Germany-Poland game (I also came early, so it should be fine with the bosses, I hope :D )

for anyone in boston, come to my farewell dinner party! it's tonight... send me an email, [email protected]... other than that... I'm going to Chad as an international fellow for Catholic Relief Services. I've spoken to some admissions peeps and they say if you have a really good reason for being gone (not like vacation...), they will be flexible to your plans. So i've slated 3 weeks to be back and do interviews... but i put it in my application. As for haiti, yes, that will be a mess... but i figure it's an email app, so i'm just going to send it from there. AMCAS doesn't release applications to med schools until early july anyhow, so turning it in now just gives them more time to go through our shiznit... which might, validly, take a few weeks... and i've got my recommenders lined up and ready to go as soon as secondaries come around, but it ain't easy. My dad and boyfriend are taking on a lot of work once i leave... :)

DrVanNostran said:
Damn did anyone just see the Saudi and Tunisia game? That ending was wild.

My scores arent up either lol.

That's some sense of humor you have, that your scores not being posted can actually make you laugh out loud. Personally, I just sigh. When I'm feeling especially anxious, I also grumble a bit.

CopperStripes said:
That's some sense of humor you have, that your scores not being posted can actually make you laugh out loud. Personally, I just sigh. When I'm feeling especially anxious, I also grumble a bit.

lol, no just laughing because we all know they won't be up till the 20th most likely, but for some reason I still check :rolleyes:

I love how this thread is still growing at an absurd rate even though we all know (almost) exactly when the scores will be posted. is anyone even counting down here?

6 days... :D

EddieIndy said:
Yeah, I followed it from work... On paper it was supposed to be really boring, though :)

I will leave work early soon to watch the Germany-Poland game (I also came early, so it should be fine with the bosses, I hope :D )

I agree, I thought the game would end up 0-0....but it ended up being one of the best games of the Cup so far. I cant wait to see the Polish born German machine Ballack lol.

DrVanNostran said:
:laugh: I better start taking longer drives.

BTW: How much are you spending on gas per week :eek:

lets just say i pay almost as much for gas than i pay for tuition ;)
lucky my car does a little over 30 mpg too. with that info you can get the total.
my job is also 30 miles away and i drive Sat and Sun.
so grand total: about $250 per month :eek:

Man - now people at WORK are asking me if my scores are in.

The first thing my father said to me this morning was "Have you checked yet?" - no, "Good morning sweetie. How did you sleep?" Oh no. I would have settled for him just grunting "Coffee" at me. But he had to ask about scores. :mad:

Anastasis said:
Man - now people at WORK are asking me if my scores are in.

The first thing my father said to me this morning was "Have you checked yet?" - no, "Good morning sweetie. How did you sleep?" Oh no. I would have settled for him just grunting "Coffee" at me. But he had to ask about scores. :mad:

Aw, that sucks. I'm avoiding that problem by not telling anyone when scores are coming out. I'm just vague and say things like, "I'll get them after sixty days," or "Sometime next week." If I act cool, calm, and collected about it, my family, friends, and coworkers do as well.

DrVanNostran said:
lol, no just laughing because we all know they won't be up till the 20th most likely, but for some reason I still check :rolleyes:

Heh, if for some crazy reason they break before the 20th I expect someone to start a "HOLY SHEEEAT the SCORES are UP!" thread. Please. Do it for the children.

kemper said:
The following question was asked at the Mcat discussion board and the following reply by the staff

All Forums
MCAT General Discussion
General Q & A
MCAT Staff New Topic Reply to Topic
Printer Friendly

Author Topic
lanae43

52 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2004 : 23:22:53

I was wondering if someone could explain why it takes 60 days to process the scores. I understand that the essays must take forever to grade, but have they ever considered releasing the other scores earlier, so people could have a idea of how they did minus the written portion?

Khenon

204 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 08:16:18

I don't have an answer to your question, but I heard (yes, more gossip) that it only takes 1 minute for the graders to read over our essays. I just thought that was funny. It further makes you wonder what takes so long. My guess (and this is completely a guess), is that it takes a while because there are several different formats of the exam and the final scores are based on how well everyone did. So they need the scores from across the country before they can even start figuring out the statistics for each exam and come up with a final scale. I have no idea if this is really true . . . just a guess. Hopefully the MCAT staff will get back with you. Take care.

Staff

0 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 09:50:44

It takes every bit as long to get the multiple-choice section scores ready as it does to get the essay scores. It's almost a month before all the boxes are back, the sheets counted and scanned, the data file cleaned, and the registration data matched with the answer sheets. (And in computer-based testing, that final data file will be ready the next morning!) We also have content people review the rationale for the answer keys for any questions that are challenged by examinees or for which the stats look funny. Only then can we calculate final number correct scores and begin the process of equating all of the forms onto a common scale. The times when we almost didn't make the 60 day deadline were more often because of delays with the multiple-choice sections than with the essays.

I know people sometimes think we are just twiddling our thumbs or sadistically enjoying your anxiety for those sixty days, but, believe me, we are busting our butts to get those scores out.
I like how he recognizes the fact that we think they're sadistic. :laugh:

Anyone else starting to be the mailbox nazi? I am seriously patrolling my mailbox in my mail room, for potential MCAT score mail-outs. And soon will be that way for secondaries and invites to interviews (god willing!).
Maybe I should hire Terry Tate to get my mail person ready for this application cycle.

"I said where is JACKIE's ACCEPTANCE LETTER, DAN! The Pain Train's Comin' baby, woo woo!"

"You don't bring the MCAT score, you go back to the mail room and get some 'mo!"

jackieMD2007 said:
Anyone else starting to be the mailbox nazi? I am seriously patrolling my mailbox in my mail room, for potential MCAT score mail-outs. And soon will be that way for secondaries and invites to interviews (god willing!).
Maybe I should hire Terry Tate to get my mail person ready for this application cycle.

"I said where is JACKIE's ACCEPTANCE LETTER, DAN! The Pain Train's Comin' baby, woo woo!"

"You don't bring the MCAT score, you go back to the mail room and get some 'mo!"
I would be a mailbox Nazi but I am working fulltime. I told my dad to not open mail for me (he has an annoying habit of doing that sometimes). I would be so pissed if i had to hear my score from someone else aside from my own eyes

Anastasis said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think the people at the clinic think I'm nuts because I'm laughing so hard.
Just wanted to drop in and tell you guys GOOD LUCK!!! If you were happy with your practice scores, there's no reason why you should be worried right now.

I was super stressed out around this time last year and it's always good to hear that everything will be fine and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel (in this case, millions of secondaries and interviews...okay, maybe it's not so much of a light at the end of the tunnel). :luck:

I think todays world cup games were all amazing, wow with that last goal in the 91st minute for germany.