Official Harvard Extension 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi goriku, it will probably take a few weeks. They generally do acceptance on a rolling deadline. I think it took them 3-4 weeks to get back to me. It is a little late to apply for Fall 2015, but best of luck!!!

Make sure to post the happy news :)
You can also start taking classes whenever you'd like and apply to the program later!
Thank for the response! I got the letter of rejection yesterday. I was advised that an SMP would be a better fit for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Grades are out!!!

I think the grading for Bio might have been pretty harsh. Based on sample size of 2 people, it seems like there was no curve: 93+ was an A, 90 A-, etc. I wish they would tell us the class averages - I suspect the median grade in the class must have been around a C...

3 book questions/seeking the following 3 books:

1. Has anyone used the Loudon textbook for organic chemistry (5th ed. is recommended but older ones couldn't be that much different?)? Do you recommend it? Seems like I might as well get it, just because the more practice and resources, the better. Does anyone have a copy they'd like to lend or sell?

Thought I'd ask here for opinions on the book or if there are any copies floating around out there before I rented (~$20) or bought (~$60) online.

2. We are required to get Zubrick's Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual (current is 9th ed. but any recent edition is fine). Is this something that can be reused (i.e., anyone have a copy of this they'd like to get rid of)? If not, at least there are 6th ed. for $1!

3. Do you know if the lab manual is similar term to term? If so, anyone looking to sell that one?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the grading for Bio might have been pretty harsh. Based on sample size of 2 people, it seems like there was no curve: 93+ was an A, 90 A-, etc. I wish they would tell us the class averages - I suspect the median grade in the class must have been around a C...
Yeah I think so too. They graded pretty roughly this semester.. I guess last semester, too, but at least there was a slight scale.

I applied last year, so I may be off, but I think it was only a few weeks for me

No.......... it wasn't. I thought I was well prepared, too.

Also, is anyone taking Orgo this year? I need to take one course along with Orgo 1 this fall, and was wondering what would be the most doable: Evolution, Epigenetics, Neuro, or Anatomy & Physiology?

Out of all of these, A&P interests me the most, but not sure if it will be too much with Orgo.

I'm planning on biochem and orgo

Ouch, but if you think about it a normal distribution should have the bell curve over the 70% mark...

They probably set the top 10-15% to be A, the next 10-15% A- and so on. The people I know who got A's were in the 95% range. Bio is notoriously tough at HES.

I'd consider the bio series over at Umass-Boston if it's not too late. n=1, but someone I knew took some sciences there and still got into Harvard Medical around 2010 or 2011. Not so much as advice as an option. The sciences at Harvard extension aren't easy. I took my physics here and I know some of my classmates who were acing physics struggled with the bio/chem segments.

Great campus and location though. I'm lurking around this summer while visiting family and friends so you might see me around ahaha.

3 book questions/seeking the following 3 books:

1. Has anyone used the Loudon textbook for organic chemistry (5th ed. is recommended but older ones couldn't be that much different?)? Do you recommend it? Seems like I might as well get it, just because the more practice and resources, the better. Does anyone have a copy they'd like to lend or sell?

Thought I'd ask here for opinions on the book or if there are any copies floating around out there before I rented (~$20) or bought (~$60) online.

2. We are required to get Zubrick's Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual (current is 9th ed. but any recent edition is fine). Is this something that can be reused (i.e., anyone have a copy of this they'd like to get rid of)? If not, at least there are 6th ed. for $1!

3. Do you know if the lab manual is similar term to term? If so, anyone looking to sell that one?

Thank you!

I don't recommend the textbook. Get Organic Chemistry as a Second Language, instead. IIRC, they change the lab manual a bit each year, but I don't know by how much. Any edition of Zubrick will probably work, but the assigned readings may not line up.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I looked through the past forums for a while and couldnt find much:

1. Would this program be a good option for someone looking to boost their cGPA and sGPA with all pre reqs filled (3.45 130 credits, 3.1 63 credits, respectively)?

2. Would a post bacc student count as graduate or undergraduate for course cost?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I looked through the past forums for a while and couldnt find much:

1. Would this program be a good option for someone looking to boost their cGPA and sGPA with all pre reqs filled (3.45 130 credits, 3.1 63 credits, respectively)?

2. Would a post bacc student count as graduate or undergraduate for course cost?

Thanks a lot

1) It doesn't sound like a good fit for you. The program is really aimed at career changers with no pre-req's filled. There are other classes you could take but you might have trouble getting sponsored / getting the committee letter with your situation. Also, the courses are pretty difficult, and getting A's is a high priority for you.

2) Undergraduate tuition ($1250 or $1350 a class)

They probably set the top 10-15% to be A, the next 10-15% A- and so on. The people I know who got A's were in the 95% range. Bio is notoriously tough at HES.

I don't think it was curved: I squeaked by with a 93 overall and got an A, and a friend of mine got an 88 and a B+. I feel like there was a slight upward curve last semester, so maybe they just adjust cutoffs downward if necessary.

I'm blown away that there are people who were crushing the class with 95's! I've done really well in all my other classes, but it felt like Bio was at the edge of my abilities (at least as far as getting A's goes). I suppose that's a feeling I should get used to if I'm going to go to medical school...

Hi everyone. I will be attending HES for the premedical program this fall. I didn't want to pester anyone in this thread with questions regarding life in Cambridge/Boston because I'm sure most of you are pretty busy. If anyone who attends HES (or has attended) would be willing to lend me some personal wisdom regarding the program and lifestyle, I would greatly appreciate it. I have heard nothing but good things about this program on other threads, but I would like a more in-depth analysis. I look forward to hearing from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I will be attending HES for the premedical program this fall. I didn't want to pester anyone in this thread with questions regarding life in Cambridge/Boston because I'm sure most of you are pretty busy. If anyone who attends HES (or has attended) would be willing to lend me some personal wisdom regarding the program and lifestyle, I would greatly appreciate it. I have heard nothing but good things about this program on other threads, but I would like a more in-depth analysis. I look forward to hearing from you.

It really depends. I know some students who have taken 3 classes at once, but many others like myself who work part time or full time and take two classes. The former may have a different lifestyle that I can't provide input for, but for the latter, well, it really boils down to work, school, study and then try to fit in a social life here and there.

jmyshadow, could I send you a private message to ask about working full time while taking two classes? I'm not too worried about lack of a social life, I just hope that I can take classes while maintaining a full time job to pay the rent.

jmyshadow, could I send you a private message to ask about working full time while taking two classes? I'm not too worried about lack of a social life, I just hope that I can take classes while maintaining a full time job to pay the rent.
Totally

Yeah... I would highly recommend not doing more than 2 classes a semester while working full time. That's just asking to burn out. I mean it's possible (anything is possible), but is it manageable? I highly doubt it.

Hey guys! I've been really interested in this program and was about to apply, but now I'm starting to have doubts about my chances of getting in, or if this is the right path for me. My cGPA is a 2.7 and my sGPA is a 2.5. (Low GPA was due to family financial crisis and having to work full time while attending school full time for pretty much all 4 years. However, the last few courses I took showed an upward trend but it just wasn't enough to fix my GPA.) I wanted to do this program to raise my GPA, but I've read that many of you who have already taken the pre-reqs were rejected. I have also considered doing an SMP but I feel as if I wouldn't be able to get into that either. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I feel really stuck and hopeless. :\

Hey guys! I've been really interested in this program and was about to apply, but now I'm starting to have doubts about my chances of getting in, or if this is the right path for me. My cGPA is a 2.7 and my sGPA is a 2.5. (Low GPA was due to family financial crisis and having to work full time while attending school full time for pretty much all 4 years. However, the last few courses I took showed an upward trend but it just wasn't enough to fix my GPA.) I wanted to do this program to raise my GPA, but I've read that many of you who have already taken the pre-reqs were rejected. I have also considered doing an SMP but I feel as if I wouldn't be able to get into that either. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I feel really stuck and hopeless. :\
If you are 100% confident you will do well in this program, you can still take the classes that everyone else does in the program and then apply to the program after you've demonstrated you have the ability to succeed at HES. However, this is kind of risky because you have to be certain you are capable of pulling As and A-s in your classes, or else you might be a couple thousand more dollars in the hole without anything gained. Do you feel confident in your ability to excel? The classes are supposed to be rather difficult.

You may want to post somewhere that you will get more views.

I think the most common path recommended for people in your position is to retake all C's, D's and F's and apply to DO schools (look into the grade replacement policy they have). If you crush your retakes and crush the MCAT, maybe you can get into an SMP and then go MD if that's important and worth the time/money to you.

Most likely you will have a tough time getting sponsored at HES. I would say probably just take classes at your local state college instead (unless you already live within reasonable driving distance of Boston to come in for labs and tests).

HES is not an easy school...If you're looking to boost up your GPA you are going to have to work EXTREMELY hard.

I'd consider the bio series over at Umass-Boston if it's not too late. n=1, but someone I knew took some sciences there and still got into Harvard Medical around 2010 or 2011. Not so much as advice as an option. The sciences at Harvard extension aren't easy. I took my physics here and I know some of my classmates who were acing physics struggled with the bio/chem segments.

Great campus and location though. I'm lurking around this summer while visiting family and friends so you might see me around ahaha.

I just looked up the UMass Boston program and it looks like it was discontinued. Are there any other post-bacc programs that offer evening classes besides HES?

It really depends. I know some students who have taken 3 classes at once, but many others like myself who work part time or full time and take two classes. The former may have a different lifestyle that I can't provide input for, but for the latter, well, it really boils down to work, school, study and then try to fit in a social life here and there.

What does two courses per semester equate to each week? Is that four days of night classes from Mon to Thursday? Is that the typical courseload for students?

If you are 100% confident you will do well in this program, you can still take the classes that everyone else does in the program and then apply to the program after you've demonstrated you have the ability to succeed at HES. However, this is kind of risky because you have to be certain you are capable of pulling As and A-s in your classes, or else you might be a couple thousand more dollars in the hole without anything gained. Do you feel confident in your ability to excel? The classes are supposed to be rather difficult.

HES is not an easy school...If you're looking to boost up your GPA you are going to have to work EXTREMELY hard.

What is the curve like at HES? How many As, Bs, Cs? Does anyone fail?

One more application question -- the application asks for SAT scores and scores from other standardized tests (GREs, etc.). Do we simply self-report those scores or must be send in official score reports?

What is the curve like at HES? How many As, Bs, Cs? Does anyone fail?

For physics, you needed an 90 or above to get an A. For chemistry, you needed a 93 or above to get an A. There was basically very little to no curve in these classes. The exams were not very easy either.

I did very well in both classes, but they were difficult. I got the highest grades in those classes, so I'm not really a good person to ask about what the curve is like. I took AP Physics and AP Chemistry and got 5's in them. I needed to take Chemistry and Physics again in college to satisfy some prerequisites that didn't count AP credit.

(I had a 99 average in physics and a 100 average in chem in HES.) The exams in my state university were curved where it was (75 and above was an A for physics) but the exams were way easier. That should give you some perspective on the difficulty of HES.

That being said, I still felt the HES exams were tricky. They were harder than what's on the MCAT. I already have taken the AP's, so I had lots of experience in both subjects before taking them.

For physics it's a 92.5 according to Logan. It's not a 90. Additionally Physics is curved. an 85 and above is an A-.

Your information is either outdated or just wrong...

For chemistry an A- is a 90. In order to get an A it's up to the discretion of Prof. Tucci.
Your post about that is flat out wrong as well. I've asked my TA, and the A range for Chemistry varies every year. Typically if you get >94 you're safe.

That being said, I still felt the HES exams were tricky. They were harder than what's on the MCAT. I already have taken the AP's, so I had lots of experience in both subjects before taking them.

Did you take physics this past year, with Logan? I thought that the class was about as un-tricky as it possibly could have been. However, we got lots of practice problems from old exams which were extremely tricky. I remember always thinking, "man, I'm glad I'm not seeing this question on the test." The class is probably much more manageable now than it was before. Average exam scores were still around 70, but thanks to 30% of grade coming from homework/participation the class average final grade was likely around 81, which I think is a B.

Actually, as a general rule, I feel like every class I've taken so far has gone out of its way to be NOT tricky (I took summer chem last year, bio, physics and calc during fall/spring). They ask a lot of you, but you usually know exactly what they're asking for. We always got plenty of practice problems and a practice exam or two, and the material was representative of what the tests would be like.

I haven't taken orgo yet so maybe that will be different.

Did you take physics this past year, with Logan? I thought that the class was about as un-tricky as it possibly could have been. However, we got lots of practice problems from old exams which were extremely tricky. I remember always thinking, "man, I'm glad I'm not seeing this question on the test." The class is probably much more manageable now than it was before. Average exam scores were still around 70, but thanks to 30% of grade coming from homework/participation the class average final grade was likely around 81, which I think is a B.

Actually, as a general rule, I feel like every class I've taken so far has gone out of its way to be NOT tricky (I took summer chem last year, bio, physics and calc during fall/spring). They ask a lot of you, but you usually know exactly what they're asking for. We always got plenty of practice problems and a practice exam or two, and the material was representative of what the tests would be like.

Last semester's Physics was all screwed up because of snow storms. Only 2 midterms and 1 final, apparently the 2nd midterm screwed a lot of people over with the lens problem.
I managed to get an A by the skin of my teeth hahaha....

Reactions: 1 user

I didn't have Logan. I took physics in 2012-2013 HES. I had Wolfgang Rueckner.

I wouldn't recommend applying to HES. It's primarily intended for career-changers who haven't really taken any of the pre-reqs, and if you have you should really have a much higher GPA. You can still take the courses a la carte, and then use them as grade replacement for DO schools, which may be a good idea. MD schools are virtually out of reach at this point unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of time and money trying to repair your GPA. I think sponsorship through HES might be out of reach, but you could certainly send in an application after you've retaken the pre-reqs and have decent GPA post-grade replacement.

HES has seemingly gotten more competitive, though, so I would also look into either getting committee letter from your alma mater, and what you'd have to do to get it, or I would go the old-fashioned route and get individual letters of recommendation.

Before you do anything, though, I would send an email to Dr. Fixsen. He'll give you an idea of whether or not it would be worth attempting to get sponsorship through HES, and he can also probably give you advice on alternative paths towards your goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I just wanted to offer my experience with HES in case it helps. Came in with a 3.75 uGPA, no science or math. I found Gen Chem and Physics to be very doable -- received an A/A- in Gen Chem and B+/A- in Physics (old format), studying about 5-6 hours per week for each course.

Meanwhile, I found that both Bio I and Orgo I were significantly more challenging. In Bio, the curve and grade distribution caught me by surprise. I managed a B/B+ in Bio I and II studying about 15 hours per week. Don't know if they still curve, but when I took it they curved to a B- and I'd guess only 15% got an A or A-. IMO this class is very risky if you need an A.

As for Orgo I, this was hands down the most time-intensive course I have ever taken. I had to drop the course because it simply was not compatible with my 40 hour per week job and Bio I. I was getting B's on the tests, but studying upwards of 20 hours per week, and supplementing with a tutor. Add that to the time I spent in class, section, an lab. Now, I realize many HES students are brighter than me and better at managing time. But consider the following before you take Orgo at HES:

Orgo is now less important for the new MCAT, so the upshot that HES Orgo prepares you well matters less. Also, speaking from personal experience, you'd be virtually guaranteed an A in Orgo at Northeastern CPS if you did the reading and homework, no more than 5 hours per week. Their quarter system is also more flexible than HES, although you need three NEU Orgo classes to equal 8 semester hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody,
I want to take all the prerequisites in one year and apply next year. I plan to take some of them at HES. Since I have no idea how difficult HES is, I'd like to start with easier courses then take the harder ones.
Can you please let me know what courses are easier to start with?
Do you recommend any professor/lecturer?

I plan to take four courses for this fall:
  1. Gen.Chem & lab
  2. Physics I
  3. Physics I lab
  4. Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
Any help is really appreciated!

Hi everybody,
I want to take all the prerequisites in one year and apply next year. I plan to take some of them at HES. Since I have no idea how difficult HES is, I'd like to start with easier courses then take the harder ones.
Can you please let me know what courses are easier to start with?
Do you recommend any professor/lecturer?

I plan to take four courses for this fall:
  1. Gen.Chem & lab
  2. Physics I
  3. Physics I lab
  4. Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
Any help is really appreciated!

If you want to do pre-req's in 1 year, I think pretty much the only possible way is to follow this schedule:

Summer1: Gen Chem 1+2
Fall/Spring: Bio/Physics/Orgo
May: Biochem (would have to go somewhere other than HES/HSS to find it offered in May. UMass Amherst summer session goes from 5/18 to 6/26 so that might be a good option)
June: Take the MCAT, apply to 1 school
July: Get score back and be complete, apply to the rest of your schools

You need to take summer Gen Chem so you can take Orgo during the year -- unless maybe you're planning on taking Orgo somewhere else that doesn't have Gen Chem as a pre-req (which might not be a great idea)? You can still late register for Chem 1+2 at Harvard Summer School up until 6/24.

Thank you so much
If you want to do pre-req's in 1 year, I think pretty much the only possible way is to follow this schedule:

Summer1: Gen Chem 1+2
Fall/Spring: Bio/Physics/Orgo
May: Biochem (would have to go somewhere other than HES/HSS to find it offered in May. UMass Amherst summer session goes from 5/18 to 6/26 so that might be a good option)
June: Take the MCAT, apply to 1 school
July: Get score back and be complete, apply to the rest of your schools

You need to take summer Gen Chem so you can take Orgo during the year -- unless maybe you're planning on taking Orgo somewhere else that doesn't have Gen Chem as a pre-req (which might not be a great idea)? You can still late register for Chem 1+2 at Harvard Summer School up until 6/24.

Thank you so much.

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone has some insight on some of the upper level bio classes, specifically: Neurobiology, Human Pathophysiology I, Developmental Biology, Reproductive Biology, and Human Endocrine Physiology. Looking to take a few of these next fall and spring so any advice/ opinions on these or any courses are welcome!

Thank you!

Anyone still looking for an apt/roommate in the Boston area? I applied late & am having a bitch of a time trying to pin something down on Craigslist....

Also, any new students or veterans interested in meeting up some time in August to have a little pre-Fall powwow? :)

Anyone still looking for an apt/roommate in the Boston area? I applied late & am having a bitch of a time trying to pin something down on Craigslist....

Also, any new students or veterans interested in meeting up some time in August to have a little pre-Fall powwow? :)

I'm in the same boat as you. If you private message me I'll send you my cell so we can coordinate.

I like the idea of a pre-fall powwow! The pre-health program has a club that met up at the end of the semester so they might set something up already? Good idea!

Hi there,
I got my degree out of the US. So for medical school application, I have to retake all the prerequisites here. I tried to take Gurby advice but unfortunately, I could not take any classes at the Harvard summer program. And I want to finish everything in one year. I planned to take some courses in HES, but after talking to some people I changed my mind to take all the prerequisites in HES.

This is my plan for this fall and the next spring;
Fall: Gen.chemI (online)+ lab/BioI+ lab/OrgoI+ lab/PhysicsI+ lab
Spring: Gen.chemII+ lab/BioII+ lab/Biochemistry(online)/PhysicsII+ lab

Alongside, I will take some English courses plus a psychology course in a community college.

I know it may seem crazy but I don't have any other option!
My questions are;
  1. Is there anyone here who took these courses last fall? If yes, can you please send me a message! I need urgent help =D Do you know where I can find some people who took these classes before?
  2. How important is to take OrgoII+ lab? I hope not much, otherwise I have to take it somewhere else like a community college!
  3. Since I didn't take any courses in the US before, I have a solid science background plus a nice MCAT score, but still I feel a little bit nervous. Do you have any suggestion for me before taking any courses? Something like how to get an A? How difficult it is to get an A in HES in general?
Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited:
Hi Miss Dr,

I'm not sure what you're attempting to do is feasible, or is even something that would help you in your case. You need to finish Orgo II in order to have completed your prerequisites and apply to medical school. Furthermore, taking classes online is not recommended by AMCAS and most schools won't look favorably upon that. Also, taking that many courses including the english and psychology courses at your community college is definitely overkill. Why do you need to take those classes? Finally, HES doesn't allow you to take Orgo without first completing Gen Chem I + II, so you won't even be able to take the courses you want to take.

Hi Miss Dr,

I'm not sure what you're attempting to do is feasible, or is even something that would help you in your case. You need to finish Orgo II in order to have completed your prerequisites and apply to medical school. Furthermore, taking classes online is not recommended by AMCAS and most schools won't look favorably upon that. Also, taking that many courses including the english and psychology courses at your community college is definitely overkill. Why do you need to take those classes? Finally, HES doesn't allow you to take Orgo without first completing Gen Chem I + II, so you won't even be able to take the courses you want to take.

Hi alihaq717,
Thank you so much for your reply. Please see answers to your questions below;

I'm not sure what you're attempting to do is feasible, or is even something that would help you in your case.
→ I talked to some medical school advisers and they told me it is a good plan to retake all the prerequisites here in the US. I never lived in any English speaking country before coming to the US, and I took all my courses in my country so AMCAS won't verify my GPA and as a result my chance will be very slim to get into my target school.

You need to finish Orgo II in order to have completed your prerequisites and apply to medical school.
→ I found some medical schools that are fine with just 4 credits of Orgo. I am thinking of taking Biochemistry instead of OrgoII because I love Biochemistry and at least to me, it is easier to get a great score. I am curious to see if anybody knows if medical schools accept Biochemistry instead of OrgoII? I mean I have no idea if they are very rigid about taking all the prerequisites or they can be forgiving?

Furthermore, taking classes online is not recommended by AMCAS and most schools won't look favorably upon that.
→ I know that. It is the reason that I asked for some advice. But HES online classes are not purely online. There are some meetings and review sections.
Which one do you think is better; Online Gen.chem in HES or Gen.chem is community college?
If they were your two options which one would you choose?

Also, taking that many courses including the English and psychology courses at your community college is definitely overkill.
→ I want to take English and Psychology courses in a community college in which they are offered from 07/13/2015 to 08/20/2015. So I will be done before the HES fall classes' beginning. I know it is over-killing but I have no other option. I have to finish everything in one year. So I can go back to work, living in Boston is expensive!

Why do you need to take those classes?
→ For applying to many medical schools, international students must spend at least one year in an accredited university in the US or Canada. I contacted several medical schools and they told me that they will accept my prerequisites as the required one year. So I am hopeful by doing well, I can have some credits that can be verified by AMCAS. Then I will be considered as a qualified applicant.

Finally, HES doesn't allow you to take Orgo without first completing Gen Chem I + II, so you won't even be able to take the courses you want to take.
→ I took all of those classes in my country so I assumed that by showing the translation of my transcripts, they will let me take the Orgo. You are right maybe it's better to meet Dr.Fixsen and talk to him in advance.

Sorry for this long post! It would be great if somebody who took these classes help me with some details like how difficult HES classes are! Where can I find some pamphlets, lecture notes, some information about the question types and possible important lectures to get an A? I want to have an idea before enrolling in any classes.
Any help is warmly appreciated =D

Since I didn't take any courses in the US before, I have a solid science background plus a nice MCAT score

You should definitely set up a meeting with Fixsen.

What was your MCAT score and what is your science background? As above, your planned schedule would be too difficult for the average pre-med and not possible anyways due to pre-requisites... But if you have already taken all these classes and scored 35+ on the MCAT, maybe you could get special accommodations.

What is your citizenship / resident status? That might be your biggest hurdle.

Here is some reading for you:
https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/303912/applyasaninternationalapplicant.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-nyu-columbia-univ-harvard-extension.1138246/

Hey Gurby
I am happy to see your post here. I am thankful for your last suggestion although it didn't work for my case =D

What was your MCAT score and what is your science background? As above, your planned schedule would be too difficult for the average pre-med and not possible anyways due to pre-requisites... I took the new exam, I am happy with the results.

But if you have already taken all these classes and scored 35+ on the MCAT, maybe you could get special accommodations.
I will talk to Dr. Fixsen this week.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone has some insight on some of the upper level bio classes, specifically: Neurobiology, Human Pathophysiology I, Developmental Biology, Reproductive Biology, and Human Endocrine Physiology. Looking to take a few of these next fall and spring so any advice/ opinions on these or any courses are welcome!

Thank you!

Developmental Biology is a great class. It focused a lot on basic science lab techniques and the experiments that the biologist did to discover the breakthroughs in the field. It focused less on the physiology of development (i.e. medical school embryology/development type stuff).

Human Endocrine Physiology was very medical school like. It focused on some basic science techniques and experiments but mostly was about the physiology behind how your body communicates signals and what happens after the signals are received (cascades, pathways, etc.).

Like just about everything else at HES, the classes are not easy and require a significant time commitment. Also, don't try cramming for the classes as thats a good way to not do well. There is too much material in both.

I'm looking into taking Neurobiology but I haven't been able to figure out if the the summer Neurobiology is similar to the fall term version. I'm also wondering how much they go into experiments vs physiology. If anyone has any more information on Neurobiology, that would be really helpful.
Also don't know too much about A&P.

For physics, you needed an 90 or above to get an A. For chemistry, you needed a 93 or above to get an A. There was basically very little to no curve in these classes. The exams were not very easy either.

I did very well in both classes, but they were difficult. I got the highest grades in those classes, so I'm not really a good person to ask about what the curve is like. I took AP Physics and AP Chemistry and got 5's in them. I needed to take Chemistry and Physics again in college to satisfy some prerequisites that didn't count AP credit.

(I had a 99 average in physics and a 100 average in chem in HES.) The exams in my state university were curved where it was (75 and above was an A for physics) but the exams were way easier. That should give you some perspective on the difficulty of HES.

Not to sound like an underachiever or someone who doesn't want to put in hard work, but why would someone go to HES over another school if the courseload is so tough at HES? To get into med school, the goal is to have a high GPA in your undergrad science course. I will definitely apply to HES, but are there any other post-bacc programs in the Boston area that people have heard about?

Not to sound like an underachiever or someone who doesn't want to put in hard work, but why would someone go to HES over another school if the courseload is so tough at HES? To get into med school, the goal is to have a high GPA in your undergrad science course. I will definitely apply to HES, but are there any other post-bacc programs in the Boston area that people have heard about?

HES is significantly cheaper and it has a good name. $1200 a class? Try to find another program besides community college that offers this price.

HES is significantly cheaper and it has a good name. $1200 a class? Try to find another program besides community college that offers this price.

You are definitely correct about all that and I 100% agree. I'm just wondering what other non-community-college post-bacc classes are available in the Boston-area.

How easy/difficult is it to get letters of recommendation from Harvard Extension professors?

Cost, chance to get letters from pretty big names, Boston seems like a great city to do pre-med stuff. Also, hopefully the difficulty of the classes will be good preparation for the MCAT - I'm taking a summer class right now, and in talking to people who come from other schools I've gotten the impression that we went into a lot more depth on a lot more topics in our Bio/Chem/Physics classes than most. Doing well on the MCAT is equally important, if not more important than having a good GPA.

I was going to go to Umass Lowell originally, but it ended up being like $2400 per class or something. Umass Boston used to have a program but does not offer a postbac anymore. Tufts has a formal postbac but that's a different animal in many ways.

How easy/difficult is it to get letters of recommendation from Harvard Extension professors?

I'm sure it depends on the professor and class, but so far it seems pretty straightforward. Gregg Tucci (gen chem) bends over backwards to get to know students. Logan McCarty (physics) is pretty accessible and willing to write letters with some input from your TF. For Bio you needed to get an A- or higher to ask for a letter, and getting a grade in that range was not a small feat this year.

Cost, chance to get letters from pretty big names, Boston seems like a great city to do pre-med stuff. Also, hopefully the difficulty of the classes will be good preparation for the MCAT - I'm taking a summer class right now, and in talking to people who come from other schools I've gotten the impression that we went into a lot more depth on a lot more topics in our Bio/Chem/Physics classes than most. Doing well on the MCAT is equally important, if not more important than having a good GPA.

I was going to go to Umass Lowell originally, but it ended up being like $2400 per class or something. Umass Boston used to have a program but does not offer a postbac anymore. Tufts has a formal postbac but that's a different animal in many ways.

I'm sure it depends on the professor and class, but so far it seems pretty straightforward. Gregg Tucci (gen chem) bends over backwards to get to know students. Logan McCarty (physics) is pretty accessible and willing to write letters with some input from your TF. For Bio you needed to get an A- or higher to ask for a letter, and getting a grade in that range was not a small feat this year.

Thanks for the response! All very good points. I know UMass Boston no longer offers a structured post-bacc program, but I assume it's still possible to take the necessary science pre-requisites there at night? Also, is there a bottom to the curve at HES? For example, at some schools only certain amounts of people can get A's and A-'s, but there's also a floor to the curve meaning that no one can get below a C or a B Minus or something (unless you literally fail the exam). Is there anything like that at HES? Thanks again-- you've been really helpful throughout!

Thanks for the response! All very good points. I know UMass Boston no longer offers a structured post-bacc program, but I assume it's still possible to take the necessary science pre-requisites there at night? Also, is there a bottom to the curve at HES? For example, at some schools only certain amounts of people can get A's and A-'s, but there's also a floor to the curve meaning that no one can get below a C or a B Minus or something (unless you literally fail the exam). Is there anything like that at HES? Thanks again-- you've been really helpful throughout!

I don't really know anything UMB - maybe/probably? Umass Dartmouth also has a postbac program but it's a bit far away unless you live down that direction anyways.

I don't think there is a curve at the bottom... There theoretically isn't a curve at the top, either (unless they need to add points across the board, lower cutoffs, etc).