*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems odd that it works like this. I wouldn't cut out the adviser letter, since schools like this type of letter (it sounds very similar to a committee letter).

If you are worried, contact the schools. I doubt they would care, especially since one of your letters is a committee-like letter.

You could also evaluate the other five letters (again, I would keep the adviser letter). Five letters is a lot, and I would think you could probably eliminate one or two. Where are all these letters from?
yeah my concern with cutting one of the individual letters is that my adviser quotes from all 5 of them in her letter, would it seem weird to have one of those letters missing? this is just a confusing process given my school's lack of committee/letter packet assembly..

the letters are this:
-2 from science professors
-1 from a history professor
-1 from the volunteer coordinator at a hospice
- 1 from a professor I worked with this semester who supervised me in an exercise class with disabled adults

also I should mention that since I will be a reapplicant, the two "new" letters are the history prof/disabled adults supervisor letter. I know that some schools (Probably all) like to see new additions when you reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Letter packets from your committee will probably be considered one letter, so you shouldn't worry about going over the limit of a particular school.

I second the comment to follow instructions. To answer your question on whether schools will take extra letters and frown or just not take them it all: this will vary from school to school. Some if you contact about their policies on issues like these they will tell you, "Oh, it's just a guideline, we don't really care." Others will be more strict. Most schools, if you have a good reason, won't mind bending a little for an individual on a small point like this. If you're especially worried contact the particular school.

If a school says you can submit a "maximum" number of letters, does this mean that this is the maximum number that they will read in your file? I.e. if you submit 6 and their max is 5, they won't read one of your letters? Or if their max is 5 and you submit 6 will it look like you didn't do your research on the school and project badly on you?

if they say there max is 5, assign 5. Don't do anything that could be interpreted negatively.... FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

+ 1 million

At my school you submit all your letters to them, and then they submit them all to AMCAS. I'm not sure at what point I would get to pick and choose which schools get 3, 4, 5, or 6. So....?

Hhm I don't have a premed committee at my school .. I assume this is what you're referring to.

Yeah at my school all of our letters are in a packet and our school suggests 6. So I am stuck sending all the letters in the packet to every school - even if they only allow 5 :( since we cannot break up the letters.

Six letters is a lot of letters.

well my problem is that I have a letter from a pre-med adviser in which she uses material from 5 of my individual letters.. however because my university doesnt assemble letter packets/does not have a pre-med committee I have to classify all of these as individual letters. so Im basically deciding whether I need to cut out the adviser's letter at the school's that have a max of 5.

also this is my second time applying so I've gathered new materials since last year's app cycle.

I seem to remember most schools saying "either X number of letters OR a letter packet from your school OR a committee letter." So if your school submits it as a packet, I think you should be fine. OP, you can select which individual letters go to which school.

Seems odd that it works like this. I wouldn't cut out the adviser letter, since schools like this type of letter (it sounds very similar to a committee letter).

If you are worried, contact the schools. I doubt they would care, especially since one of your letters is a committee-like letter.

You could also evaluate the other five letters (again, I would keep the adviser letter). Five letters is a lot, and I would think you could probably eliminate one or two. Where are all these letters from?

yeah my concern with cutting one of the individual letters is that my adviser quotes from all 5 of them in her letter, would it seem weird to have one of those letters missing? this is just a confusing process given my school's lack of committee/letter packet assembly..

the letters are this:
-2 from science professors
-1 from a history professor
-1 from the volunteer coordinator at a hospice
- 1 from a professor I worked with this semester who supervised me in an exercise class with disabled adults

also I should mention that since I will be a reapplicant, the two "new" letters are the history prof/disabled adults supervisor letter. I know that some schools (Probably all) like to see new additions when you reapply.

Letter packets from your committee will probably be considered one letter, so you shouldn't worry about going over the limit of a particular school.

I second the comment to follow instructions. To answer your question on whether schools will take extra letters and frown or just not take them it all: this will vary from school to school. Some if you contact about their policies on issues like these they will tell you, "Oh, it's just a guideline, we don't really care." Others will be more strict. Most schools, if you have a good reason, won't mind bending a little for an individual on a small point like this. If you're especially worried contact the particular school.
Merging

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the deadline for LORs? I have a professor who said she won't be free to write a rec until July, is that too late?

When is the deadline for LORs? I have a professor who said she won't be free to write a rec until July, is that too late?
there isnt really a "deadline", its basically when do you want your amcas verified? if this is a letter you need to go to every school you're applying to, then you wont be able to send out your amcas until you have it.

there isnt really a "deadline", its basically when do you want your amcas verified? if this is a letter you need to go to every school you're applying to, then you wont be able to send out your amcas until you have it.

No, you tool. Your AMCAS verification is independent of LORs. You can still submit secondaries as well but will not be marked as complete and have them look at your secondary app until your LORs are in.

No, you tool. Your AMCAS verification is independent of LORs. You can still submit secondaries as well but will not be marked as complete and have them look at your secondary app until your LORs are in.

lol people on this website make me laugh. so touchy.

OP look at the amcas instruction manual. LOR deadlines are different for every school.

Last edited:
I have a question:

I have 2 science, 1 non-science, my PI, and my volunteering (free clinic) (3 co-authors) letter writers set.

I want to get a 6th one, it's from a 2 year volunteering that I did. But I'm not getting the warmest/most supporting of vibes from the "head" honcho guy, even though I already asked him in person about a letter of recommendation for medical school. He's not saying he won't write one, but he's saying he's unsure how useful a letter from him will be for medical school. If that's the case, should I try to get one from my program manager, who actually knew me on a more intimate level? Right now they are very busy with upcoming events, and I'm also afraid I may not be able to get the letter from them in the next month or so. If that's the case, will it reflect poorly on me if I don't have a letter from this 2 year experience? I've even flagged it as one of my most meaningful.

Deleted. Question already answered and I'll get called a tool for asking it.

Need help on what to do.

This current quarter I signed onto a research lab as well as signed up for a course by the same professor. I will end up with an A in the class. The professor is a nice guy and all, but I've only went to his office hours once or twice (I have a class during his strict office hours). In research, I've only been in the lab since March, he comes around occasionally and we have biweekly lab meetings where all of the research assistants interact. I mostly interact with the grad students in the lab. Up until now I would code data, transcribe interviews, search lit reviews, etc...but I just now got my own project (though it won't get started probably until next fall).

With that said, I would like to get a Letter of Rec from him for at least the class, but I don't know how or if he would make mention of being in lab as well. Isn't common for PI's to want a at least a 2 or 3 semester/quarter commitment to write an LOR? But since I am taking his class and have only been in his research lab for this past quarter, what should I do and how should I approach him for an LOR? (I need it, because he's the only one that can write me a non-science LOR)

Thanks

FROM AAMC:

How do I add a letter after my application has been submitted?
Provided you have not already entered 10 letters, log back into your AMCAS application and select the letters of recommendation tab. There you will have the opportunity to add more letters. To assign the letter to an participating medical school that you've already applied to you must select the medical school tab and then select edit to the school you'd like to the letters to be received at and select the new letter. If you are adding a new school that participates in letters, you will be prompted to select the letters you desire at the end of adding the school.

Please note: Each time you select a new school and add letters, you must resubmit your application.

Would this mean that I have to pay the primary fee again if I wanted to add more letters/have yet to receive one or two letters? Could I just use my Interfolio account to send those new letters or would that not work for allopathic schools? (knowing this is a pre-allo thread) Can I send new letters as they come in for pre-osteo as well?

I have shadowed my friend's father on multiple occasions and have also house-sat (taken care of dog and 98-year old aunt) a few times. Would he be considered a family friend in terms of writing a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad :)
or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

I presume this means that the only thing AMCAS actually needs to begin processing and verifying your application is a filled out primary and your school's official transcript at their office. LORs are independent of the verification process, correct?

I presume this means that the only thing AMCAS actually needs to begin processing and verifying your application is a filled out primary and your school's official transcript at their office. LORs are independent of the verification process, correct?

Correct. Once the school reviews your app and sends you a secondary, then, along with your returned secondaries, you must assign your LORs before you will be complete at the school.

Oops.

Letter authors must include your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID found on your Letter Request Form when sending letters, regardless of how they are submitting the letter.

So, if they didn't do this, then they need to resend it?? This is all my fault, I didn't know that had to be included

Last edited:
This question has probably been asked, but there's just way too many posts to look at. If I want to be verified as soon as possible (in the summer), I would have to get my LORs before that, correct? Is it true that you can't be verified without LORs? If that's the case, when is the best time to ask for LORs? Late spring, a couple weeks before exams?

Also, if my premed advisor says that he can collect all of our LORs, should we use that service over something like Interfolio?

Thank you!

How can I get a scatterbrained professor to send in a recommendation for me? I asked him to write it in late March, emailed him in late April asking if he sent it in. He said he sent it in, but my pre-health committee said they never received him. About a week ago, I asked him to resubmit it by emailing the committee, but I never heard anything back. Should I email him again? Should I have the committee email him directly asking for it? All my other letters are in except this one and I don't want to be late. :(

A professor has already agreed to write me a LOR and I already filled out the form on AMCAS, but now I'm reconsidering actually sending it after reading so much about how even neutral letters can sink your application.

Will it be okay for me to leave it on my AMCAS and just not send it to any schools?

Six letters is a lot of letters.

Utah requires 6 letters. Glad I looked at all the LOR requirements for the schools on my list. Saved me some money by taking Utah off.

I did not have great letters from my undergraduate institution (and it had no committee), but my graduate school does and my letters from it will be quite spectacular. My question is, do I need to send both my graduate committee letter and my undergraduate letters? Or can I just send in my graduate letters?

I have read the website for specific schools, but it just confuses me more. For example, BU's website says graduate schools need to send in a letter from their thesis advisor - but my thesis advisor's letter is incorporated into the committee letter (and our program director does not allow us to request individual letters to be sent). So for BU, what would I be sending in...?

Is there a general consensus on counting LORs from Math professors as science LORs? I was under the assumption that they would be counted as science, but I just saw that NYMC doesn't accept Math, so I thought I would ask. I tried searching for this but I didn't get anywhere.

i am planning to submit my application in early june, but i don't think my letters will be complete until late july or early august. doesn't it look really bad if i don't submit my secondaries within a few weeks of getting them? what if i get some late june and have to submit them early august?

When adding a committee letter in AMCAS is it necessary to add the contact information of the authors of all of the additional letters that will be included with the committee letter?

So I am having much difficulty finding a non-science professor to write a letter for me. My best bet seemed to be my Spanish teacher I had for back-to-back semesters soph. year. I emailed her twice at the end of the semester asking if she would be willing to write me one. I attached a resume and told her I was available at her convenience to meet and discuss the letter. I never received a response. I thought well maybe she just missed the emails due to being busy with the end of the semester or maybe it went to her junk. So a couple of weeks ago, the week before she started her summer course, I went by her office. I was wanting to speak with her, but I also brought along a printed letter with my resume again and info to send the letters to my advisor if she chose to write one for me. She wasn't in her office so I slid them under her door. I still haven't heard from her. Any advice? I have considered trying to go speak with her again after the scheduled time of her summer class, but should I just take the hint that she is ignoring me? I really don't have any other non-science professors that could write me a letter, so I'm not sure what to do.

I am in a predicament and I don't know what to do. I have 1 letter of rec from my orgo lab TA. I am getting one from my microbiology professor as well. Is the orgo lab TA ok? I have 2 microbiology teachers (both taught half of the semester). Would asking both of them to write me one look bad because they are from the same class? If so, which would be better? I really have no other options.

As far as I know, TA can write a letter but it should be co-signed by the professor who coordinates the course

Oops.

So, if they didn't do this, then they need to resend it?? This is all my fault, I didn't know that had to be included

If they submitted to the AMCAS letter service, they have to enter the IDs to submit. I don't think the IDs have to be in the body of the letter

I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

I would say to get the resident to write a letter if he is willing and ask him to get the attending to co-sign it. That is what they say to do with TAs anyways.

I have a question that I think many people might find helpful, and I haven't seen it answered yet so I'm a bit worried. Bottom line, if I have 2 out of 4 Letter of Recommendations now (May 16) and I want to submit my application on say June 5, and my last 2 letters are coming in around early July (July 1-5), when should I submit my application?

Will schools even look at my application if 2 out of 4 are missing? I really want to turn in my application as soon as possible.

Thank you

If you submit on June 5, schools won't even get your primary until June 29th, but they may not even look at your letters until you submit the secondary. I don't think you need to worry about that

This question has probably been asked, but there's just way too many posts to look at. If I want to be verified as soon as possible (in the summer), I would have to get my LORs before that, correct? Is it true that you can't be verified without LORs? If that's the case, when is the best time to ask for LORs? Late spring, a couple weeks before exams?

Also, if my premed advisor says that he can collect all of our LORs, should we use that service over something like Interfolio?

Thank you!

I am not an expert, but from my understanding you do not need the letters for your primary to be verified. Speaking from experience, ask for your letters early spring.

Also, my premed advisor is collecting my letters and then submitting them to interfolio. So my writers will send him each letter, then he will take care of them.

Looking for advice to see if my letters meet the requirementsfor most schools. No committee letter at my school.
1. Science 1-Organic Prof
2. Science 2- Prof who taught me in a science basedpharmacology course and pharmacy addiction/neuro course (going to list both asBCPM)
3. Non-science-Allied Med class-Non science class about thehistory and practice of medicine
4. Physician Letter

I received an A in all those classes. My alternatives wouldbe an entomology prof who I got a B+ in his class or an Astronomy prof who Itook two classes with and got an A in both.

What do you guys think?

Some schools require a 5th character reference

I only had to remind them once or twice, it went something like:

"Hi Dr. Blah, I just wanted to thank you again for helping me with the medical school application process. The letter of recommendation is highly valued by the admitting committee and I highly appreciate your willingness in that regard.

I just wanted to remind you that my deadline for applying is fast approaching, and if you could submit the letter by [Date] then I would be able to send in my application early.

Thank you again Dr. Blah!

Sincerely,
sc4s2cg"

Something like that. Use the sandwich method: first say something positive, then remind, then end on a positive note.

Edit: Another way I did it was by giving them their thank you gift a little early. That sped things up, guilted them into writing the letter within a week. ;)

Do people really give thank you gifts?!? I mean, I gave a thank you note, but what can a poor college student give to a professor?

So I am having much difficulty finding a non-science professor to write a letter for me. My best bet seemed to be my Spanish teacher I had for back-to-back semesters soph. year. I emailed her twice at the end of the semester asking if she would be willing to write me one. I attached a resume and told her I was available at her convenience to meet and discuss the letter. I never received a response. I thought well maybe she just missed the emails due to being busy with the end of the semester or maybe it went to her junk. So a couple of weeks ago, the week before she started her summer course, I went by her office. I was wanting to speak with her, but I also brought along a printed letter with my resume again and info to send the letters to my advisor if she chose to write one for me. She wasn't in her office so I slid them under her door. I still haven't heard from her. Any advice? I have considered trying to go speak with her again after the scheduled time of her summer class, but should I just take the hint that she is ignoring me? I really don't have any other non-science professors that could write me a letter, so I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone in the same boat?

Question: The "Letter Title" on AMCAS -- is that just for our reference or do Adcoms see it? I wasn't consistent with how I labeled letters (under the impression the Letter title was just for my own benefit -- organization -- not for adcoms) but when I printed my AMCAS I see it's on there. Anyone know?

Anyone have a nice email template to send my professor to request my LOR?

I already met with him a few weeks ago and we caught up on a lot of stuff (45min convo). Since he had kids from his class waiting on him, he told me that when I need the LOR just shoot him an email with my amcas/interfolio info and he'd take care of it.

I don't want to just send him the generic request via interfolio, so does anyone have a template they found or used efficiently?

Anyone have advice?: The PhD student who I worked under as a grad student researcher is now on faculty at a medical school where I am applying. I have a letter from the Prof. who supervised both of us, who was also my thesis adviser. Would it kosher to ask the PhD student/now faculty member to also write me a LOR specific to the school where she works? Not to substitute my thesis adviser but sort of as a character reference? Do people do that? Is it frowned upon, or is it a big plus to have their support?

do adcoms realistically care what type of letters make up your committee letter? i have 1 science, 1 lab, and 1 psych prof letter included in my committee packet. along with 1 other psy professor and possibly 1 other research PI letter as extra letters.

Would an LOR from a public health professor count as a non science?

Would an LOR from a public health professor count as a non science?
Probably, PH classes are categorized as Other Health in the AMCAS course categories, so not a hard BSCM designation. It might also depend on what type of public health course they taught--was it hardcore Epi methods or something more community or behavioral health oriented?

Do people really give thank you gifts?!? I mean, I gave a thank you note, but what can a poor college student give to a professor?

I spent over $100 on gifts for all my rec writers. I'm broke as heck, but I think it's well worth it. ::shrug:: :cool:

2 questions:
The AAMC states,
"Letter authors must include your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID found on your Letter Request Form when sending letters, regardless of how they are submitting the letter."

Is this only true for profs directly sending LORs to AMCAS? Does the letter writer have to include your AAMC and Letter IDs in the actual letter even if you're using interfolio? My profs didn't have a letter id or my aamc id when uploading my letters. Can I include the IDs myself when sending to AMCAS?

Does interfolio send your letters as a single packet, or individually to AMCAS, because the individual letters must match your Letter ID?
Thanks!

is a one page LOR bad? just had a professor upload it to interfolio...i barely talked to any of my professors who are writing my letters, but i got all A's/A+'s in their classes and i gave them a bunch of material.

2 questions:
The AAMC states,
"Letter authors must include your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID found on your Letter Request Form when sending letters, regardless of how they are submitting the letter."

Is this only true for profs directly sending LORs to AMCAS? Does the letter writer have to include your AAMC and Letter IDs in the actual letter even if you're using interfolio? My profs didn't have a letter id or my aamc id when uploading my letters. Can I include the IDs myself when sending to AMCAS?

Does interfolio send your letters as a single packet, or individually to AMCAS, because the individual letters must match your Letter ID?
Thanks!

The answer to your first 3 questions are in what you quoted.

It would be in interfolio's best interest to send them individually since they charge you based on how many letters you send. So I assume they send them individually unless they are received as a packet.

Thanks, but does AMCAS totally reject your LORs if you simply include your AAMC and Letter IDs yourself on Interfolio when sending to AMCAS? I'm not sure where some of my profs are, and just wondering if anyone has succeeded in my similar situation :(

2 questions:
The AAMC states,

Thanks!

The answer to your first 3 questions are in what you quoted.

It would be in interfolio's best interest to send them individually since they charge you based on how many letters you send. So I assume they send them individually unless they are received as a packet.

Thanks, but does AMCAS totally reject your LORs if you simply include your AAMC and Letter IDs yourself on Interfolio when sending to AMCAS? I'm not sure where some of my profs are, and just wondering if anyone has succeeded in my similar situation :(
Merging

I'm still confused when schools say "make sure you include your AMCAS Identification number in the letter itself"

First of all, do they mean my AAMC ID number or the AMCAS Letter ID number? And do they have to be on the actual letter even if they submit through AMCAS Letter Service?

Question: When you say we generally need x amount of science, x non science, x research, x whatever, do you mean IN the COMMITTEE letter, or separately? I have a committee letter, work, hospital, MD I shadowed. Outside of that I have so many LOR's from inside the school that they fill all the reqt's. I'm aiming for MD/PhD.

In the committee letter they will probably attach letters, is that where they'd attach the x necessary ones? Or are they separate?

i definitely did not use the letter request form for mine. i'm quite sure it's OK, as interfolio makes you add the AAMC ID to your account + attach the letter ID. i looked at the form, and it seems like it's mostly for people whose profs are mailing the LOR to amcas versus doing the electronic upload.

Quick question regarding co-signed letters. If I get a letter co-signed by a professor and a post-doc from my lab, I can only designate one writer for my waiver form (to waive all my rights to view the letter). Interfolio allows you to enter the email address of one of my writers but not both. So do I have to submit two separate waiver statements, one for my post-doc and one for my professor? Or just the person who will be mailing/uploading the letter to Interfolio? Please help me out!

I apologize if someone has already asked this...I'm still working my way through this thread.

One of my science letters is from someone whose class I took at my university, but I work in his lab which is in a hospital not affiliated with my school. So he is a faculty at my school and a researcher at that non-affiliated hospital. I'd like to use his LOR as one of my science letters; otherwise, I only have 1 science prof letter. Can I select the option that his letter is from my school? When AMCAS asks "Is this letter from a school," can I select Yes? If yes, will I have to make sure that he writes the letter on my school's letterhead and not the hospital's letterhead?

I'm still confused when schools say "make sure you include your AMCAS Identification number in the letter itself"

First of all, do they mean my AAMC ID number or the AMCAS Letter ID number? And do they have to be on the actual letter even if they submit through AMCAS Letter Service?
I actually called AMCAS and spoke to a representative today to ask him the same question; he told me if you're asking your letter writers to submit through Letter Writer Application, then the letter does not need to contain the AMCAS ID and Letter ID in it. But you have to give those ID numbers to the letter writers since they will type them in the application site when uploading the letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.