*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TA's are grad students at best. Forget about the TA and get actual professors to write your letters - ones you have good relationships with.

There is no need to complicate things with a TA and run the risk of getting a mediocre (aka bad) letter because the TA has no idea what they are doing and has only taught 100 students in their entire "career".

I was trying to get a rec from a professor but he wont reply to my emails so im setting this one as a backup. I think Im gonna meet with the professor who taught the class and ask him if he could cosign it. I guess Im sending this if my other professors(2) I have asked dont't come through. My QUESTION is, if it does come to this, it wont kill my app assuming I have a 2 letters from official professors and 1 MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I was trying to get a rec from a professor but he wont reply to my emails so im setting this one as a backup. I think Im gonna meet with the professor who taught the class and ask him if he could cosign it. I guess Im sending this if my other professors(2) I have asked dont't come through. My QUESTION is, if it does come to this, it wont kill my app assuming I have a 2 letters from official professors and 1 MD?

If you're not going to go the committee letter rout, it might. Most schools require two science letters and one non-science letter. These are generally thought to come from professors. If schools don't accept the TA letter, you'll be SOL. I think this is going to be very school dependant with some accepting it and some not. Also, like I said, if the letter is just mediocre, consider it a bad letter – and that's what I would expect from a TA given their lack of experience.

Edit: and honestly, if I was a grad student teaching a class, I would not write anyone a letter due to my lack of seniority and experience in writing LORs, given how important they are for medical school.

What some people do is have the prof write the main part of the letter and include comments from the TA in the letter. That way it adds more insight and substance to how you did.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not going to go the committee letter rout, it might. Most schools require two science letters and one non-science letter. These are generally thought to come from professors. If schools don't accept the TA letter, you'll be SOL. I think this is going to be very school dependant with some accepting it and some not. Also, like I said, if the letter is just mediocre, consider it a bad letter – and that's what I would expect from a TA given their lack of experience.

Edit: and honestly, if I was a grad student teaching a class, I would not write anyone a letter due to my lack of seniority and experience in writing LORs, given how important they are for medical school.

I agree it is better to get a person with seniority over someone who is not. However, in the end, TAs will need to write a LOR at some point in their lives. Otherwise how will they ever get experience. Don't think a Ph.D. who has only taught one year of classes (in their lives) is far better qualified to write a letter than a TA who has taught four years of introductory lab. If it comes right down to it, as a TA, I would write them a letter if I am a last resort (of course I would have the Ph.D. in charge of the lab to look at it and give additional input). It is up to the student if they want this letter sent or not.

I agree it is better to get a person with seniority over someone who is not. However, in the end, TAs will need to write a LOR at some point in their lives. Otherwise how will they ever get experience. Don't think a Ph.D. who has only taught one year of classes (in their lives) is far better qualified to write a letter than a TA who has taught four years of introductory lab. If it comes right down to it, as a TA, I would write them a letter if I am a last resort (of course I would have the Ph.D. in charge of the lab to look at it and give additional input). It is up to the student if they want this letter sent or not.

Yea it ultimately comes down to how it is perceived. I agree that in the aforementioned example, the TA is obviously more qualified. But as an adcom that has so many applications to read, it's unlikely they compare the length of time that the LOR writer taught a class and compare it across applicants, it's just not feasible for the volume they receive. You need some kind of standard and the easiest standard to set it at is according to education of the LOR writer which translates to experience-- whether that's a perfect standard or not.

As many have mentioned, getting a letter from a professor should obviously be top choice. If he doesn't answer an email, find out his office hours and meet up with him that way. Be proactive.

Maybe I'm old school, but I was always told lab instructors were not good for LOR. It needed to be someone who taught me in a full lecture/class setting.

'nuff said

Alright, so I have a couple of questions about letters of recommendation. It seems the majority of places require around 2 science and 1 non-science. In regards to the non-science, I was wondering if my Spanish teacher would qualify as an acceptable letter; she is not a full professor, but is listed as a faculty member under the category of lecturer, taught and graded the class and has a Ph.D. in Hispanic Studies. From what I've gathered, it seems this is acceptable, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with a similar situation. The second question involves a science letter; I am currently doing research in the Biology department, would my advisor count as a science professor? He is currently a professor at my University and the research I am doing under him is for credit, fulfills the major's lab requirement and is graded/counts toward my GPA. Would this count as an acceptable science professor letter? Thank you all.

That seems very reasonable.

My question: Does non-science include professional LORs (e.g., from MDs), or are letters from MDs considered science LORs?

I went to a large state school and wasn't a science major so most of my science classes where I can ask for a rec are from 3-4 years ago (graduated last year). I unfortunately also didn't really get to know my professors. I do have a graduate student instructor from one of my organic chemistry labs that is willing to write a recommendation for me, the problem is that the professor who taught the course is now teaching in Saudi Arabia and is REALLY hard to get a hold of. :( I'm basically assuming at this point that I won't get a cosign.

I know schools prefer letters written by TAs to be co-signed... would it be really bad if I don't have a professor's signature? I don't have a lot of other options for science LORs unfortunately. I guess having one is better than not having one, but if I had option between a weaker letter from another TA with cosign versus a stronger letter without cosign, which would be better? :confused:

Thanks!

I took a ecology lab class (no lecture). It counted as one of the classes for my science major to graduate. If I get a rec from him does it count as a science rec?

So it looks like when I apply for sure Im going to have:

1 non sci letter
2 or 3 sci letter
1 MD letter

I might get these later
1 DO letter
1 PI letter

Am I good to go then?

1 non sci letter
2 or 3 sci letter
1 MD letter

I might get these later
1 DO letter
1 PI letter

Am I good to go then?

That looks good. I didn't have an MD letter or a non-sci letter and I think I did okay lol.

1 non sci letter
2 or 3 sci letter
1 MD letter

I might get these later
1 DO letter
1 PI letter

Am I good to go then?

Most schools have a 2 science, 1 non science letter requirement. As long as you meet that, any letter above it is fine.

if you can secure a LOR from a US Senator you might be able to secure a spot/interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it depends.
It varies at each school. Normally I wouldn't count it but many schools make exceptions
if you explain to them the situation. There are some schools that specifically say it's okay though. I know for a fact that MSUCHM allows you to do it so long as the prof cosigns the letter. This wouldn't be a bad idea IMO especially since TAs are more interactive with students.

ok for most MD and DO schools? assuming that this letter counts as one of the science LOR requirements?

Likely not. Adcom members I've spoken with over the years value professors who can reference a candidate's ability relative to other students they've taught, mentored, etc. Further, a professor - presumably someone who has mastered the material which they taught you - can provide a better assessment of your cognitive abilities in a given subject (of course in addition to your personal attributes and what not). Regardless of his or her intelligence and experience, a TA just doesn't hold the same weight as an experienced professor. This is one of your most critical letters: I would find an actual instructor - lecturer, professor, etc. - to write it.

If you feel the TA can provide some useful additional insight, perhaps submit it as an extra letter. If you do, I would go so far as having the professor co-sign it if not have them write it together.

Edit: Let me add this issue is probably specific to each school you're applying to; however, I would not risk undermining a core letter.

so if the ta cosigns it with a professor will I be good?

Dude the letter starts out like..

"I am writing this letter of recommendation for Asadfa Smith, whom I had the pleasure of teaching during the Fall of 2012 in Introduction to Biology Lab."

TA's are grad students at best. Forget about the TA and get actual professors to write your letters - ones you have good relationships with.

There is no need to complicate things with a TA and run the risk of getting a mediocre (aka bad) letter because the TA has no idea what they are doing and has only taught 100 students in their entire "career".

If you're not going to go the committee letter rout, it might. Most schools require two science letters and one non-science letter. These are generally thought to come from professors. If schools don't accept the TA letter, you'll be SOL. I think this is going to be very school dependant with some accepting it and some not. Also, like I said, if the letter is just mediocre, consider it a bad letter – and that’s what I would expect from a TA given their lack of experience.

What some people do is have the prof write the main part of the letter and include comments from the TA in the letter. That way it adds more insight and substance to how you did.

Yea it ultimately comes down to how it is perceived. I agree that in the aforementioned example, the TA is obviously more qualified. But as an adcom that has so many applications to read, it's unlikely they compare the length of time that the LOR writer taught a class and compare it across applicants, it's just not feasible for the volume they receive. You need some kind of standard and the easiest standard to set it at is according to education of the LOR writer which translates to experience-- whether that's a perfect standard or not.

As many have mentioned, getting a letter from a professor should obviously be top choice. If he doesn't answer an email, find out his office hours and meet up with him that way. Be proactive.

Maybe I'm old school, but I was always told lab instructors were not good for LOR. It needed to be someone who taught me in a full lecture/class setting.

'nuff said

Well, it depends.
It varies at each school. Normally I wouldn't count it but many schools make exceptions
if you explain to them the situation. There are some schools that specifically say it's okay though. I know for a fact that MSUCHM allows you to do it so long as the prof cosigns the letter. This wouldn't be a bad idea IMO especially since TAs are more interactive with students.
Merging

1 non sci letter
2 or 3 sci letter
1 MD letter

I might get these later
1 DO letter
1 PI letter

Am I good to go then?

That looks good. I didn't have an MD letter or a non-sci letter and I think I did okay lol.

Most schools have a 2 science, 1 non science letter requirement. As long as you meet that, any letter above it is fine.

if you can secure a LOR from a US Senator you might be able to secure a spot/interview

lol I had the opportunity to do that but turned it down.

Merging

One of my letter writers (psych prof) I'm obtaining as a non-science. However, I'm classifying 2 out of the 3 classes I took with him as BCPM GPA. Technically, all 3 can be classified, but that would theoretically label him as a science letter would it not? But who knows, AMCAS might end up declassifying it ... so just wondering.

Does an MD LOR count as a non-science letter, science letter, or something different altogether?

lol I had the opportunity to do that but turned it down.

I've actually heard the complete opposite, that you should avoid getting LOR's from any kind of political character.

I think the reasoning behind it was that you could wind up with an adcom who doesn't support the LOR writer's political views which could result in unintentional bias.

That may or may not have been the main reasoning behind it but I definitely have been told to stay away from politicians as LOR writers.

Guys, I think I'm in a whole lot of trouble. I'm a terribly uninformed premed (I know, judge away), and I think my lack of recommendation letters may ruin my chances.

As of now, I've completely finished all my pre-med classes. All are classes of 100+ students, I didn't struggle in any of them, and so I never saw the need to go to office hours. As such, I know/have talked to a grand total of zero science professors in my time as an undergrad. I've gotten A's in all of them (GenChem, Bio, Orgo, Physics), but I don't know a single professor and I guarantee none of them know me.

For some reason, I was under the impression that the "2 science/one non-science" letters was a general guideline, as opposed to a pretty hard rule.

Anyone have any advice?

Questions questions!! :help:

1) My target non-science letter writer is from an upper division psychology class. My problem is the teacher is actually a PhD student scheduled to finish the program next year :eek: should I scramble to find another nonscience LOR?

2) I have a letter from my PI -- could this count as a nonscience letter? My PI is a professor in the psychology department but I've never taken a class with him.

2) I worked closely with a professor after getting an A in his lab class. However, I didn't fit in with the lab structure and left after a semester for a lab in a different field. This was over a year ago and we parted on an awkward note with no more contact :oops: should I ask him for a rec letter?

Thank you for all replies :love:

Quick question,

I'm a freshman in college and one of my non-science professors is one whom I have a good relationship with. Should I ask him to write me a LOR on a letterhead, sign it and give it to me? Do I just keep it in my desk for 3 years when it comes time to apply to medical school?

Buy the three year Interfolio plan and store it there. Or you can just continue to maintain a good relationship with that professor and ask when the time comes (although I'm a little paranoid and wonder what if my potential letter writers get amnesia... or worse..)

Thanks,

Would I have him write a letter of rec geared towards medical school or just a letter of rec in general?

Ok! I finished my undergraduate in May, 2011 and then I moved to a different city and have only been working since then. I was not sure when I would be attending medical school at that time. So my question is , should I try getting a letter of evaluation from the school I attended (i.e a committee letter)? It is kind of hard to get this committee letter because the committee letter needs at least 3 professorial recommendations first. I am not sure if my professors would be willing to give me recommendations as I took their class quite a while ago. Please let me know what other options do I have. I can get recommendations from a lab that I worked in for about 10 months after graduation and also my present job( medical interpretation).Can I have the recommenders instead send individual letters to the AMCAS?
:shrug:

So I've had some pretty annoying problems getting recommendations this semester. For my committee letter, they require all letters to be in by May 1st. Fine, I had my three professors asked a month ago. Well, unfortunately one of these professors recently had his contract come up for renewal, and didn't get it; he's emailed me saying that in light of this, he's not writing any more recommendations. Of course, this happens a week and a half before letters are due.

So now I'm in a pickle and have had to scramble trying to think of other professors who could write me good letters on short notice. I've finally found two: one of whom should write me a great letter, and the other who has said that he'll write it, but that it will be pretty boiler-plate. So my setup is basically as follows:

- One science professor who will write me a really, really strong letter. He's been my mentor through most of undergrad and I'm writing my senior thesis with him, not to mention having assisted in his research for two years.
- One science professor who will write me a positive but cookie-cutter letter. I needed another science rec, and with my other science professor fired, this was my only option.
- One non-science professor who will write me a strong letter. He likes me a lot, I did well in his class, and he straight up told me that he would make sure it was good.
- One non-science professor who will write me a positive, if cookie-cutter, rec. He doesn't remember me super well, but he said that he would do it since I'm in a tight spot with the other professor being let go.

So here's my first question: Should I give this last professor the go-ahead to write the recommendation? I can get the three minimum with two good recs and one cookie-cutter, or I can add what will most likely be another cookie-cutter rec in there for four. I was planning on leaving this last one off and just going with the three, but I wanted to see what you thought.

My second question is, med schools will consider my science professors to be science professors if they're in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, right? I'm a Neuro major, so most close relationships I've formed have been with professors in this area. I was told that it would be fine, but I wanted to check and make sure.

So I've had some pretty annoying problems getting recommendations this semester. For my committee letter, they require all letters to be in by May 1st. Fine, I had my three professors asked a month ago. Well, unfortunately one of these professors recently had his contract come up for renewal, and didn't get it; he's emailed me saying that in light of this, he's not writing any more recommendations. Of course, this happens a week and a half before letters are due.

So now I'm in a pickle and have had to scramble trying to think of other professors who could write me good letters on short notice. I've finally found two: one of whom should write me a great letter, and the other who has said that he'll write it, but that it will be pretty boiler-plate. So my setup is basically as follows:

- One science professor who will write me a really, really strong letter. He's been my mentor through most of undergrad and I'm writing my senior thesis with him, not to mention having assisted in his research for two years.
- One science professor who will write me a positive but cookie-cutter letter. I needed another science rec, and with my other science professor fired, this was my only option.
- One non-science professor who will write me a strong letter. He likes me a lot, I did well in his class, and he straight up told me that he would make sure it was good.
- One non-science professor who will write me a positive, if cookie-cutter, rec. He doesn't remember me super well, but he said that he would do it since I'm in a tight spot with the other professor being let go.

So here's my first question: Should I give this last professor the go-ahead to write the recommendation? I can get the three minimum with two good recs and one cookie-cutter, or I can add what will most likely be another cookie-cutter rec in there for four. I was planning on leaving this last one off and just going with the three, but I wanted to see what you thought.

My second question is, med schools will consider my science professors to be science professors if they're in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, right? I'm a Neuro major, so most close relationships I've formed have been with professors in this area. I was told that it would be fine, but I wanted to check and make sure.

Merging with LOR thread

Ok! I finished my undergraduate in May, 2011 and then I moved to a different city and have only been working since then. I was not sure when I would be attending medical school at that time. So my question is , should I try getting a letter of evaluation from the school I attended (i.e a committee letter)? It is kind of hard to get this committee letter because the committee letter needs at least 3 professorial recommendations first. I am not sure if my professors would be willing to give me recommendations as I took their class quite a while ago. Please let me know what other options do I have. I can get recommendations from a lab that I worked in for about 10 months after graduation and also my present job( medical interpretation).Can I have the recommenders instead send individual letters to the AMCAS?

Merging.

Most medical schools will give you an opportunity to explain why you didn't get a committee letter if your school offers one. I think that your excuse would be accepted by most schools. Schools will likely still want some letters from professors though

If you can get a committee letter and it won't cause you to apply late, I would get it. It makes the secondaries much easier when you can check "Committee letter/school letter packet" usually exempting from any odd letter requirements the school has. Also if your school has a committee and you don't have a committee letter you will likely have to explain why not on multiple secondaries. I got the impression that being out of school for a few years is a very valid reason to not have a committee letter.

If you don't get the committee letter, you are likely going to need 3 professor letters anyways(2 science, 1 non-science). Not every school requires these 3 of course but enough to make it almost a requirement. Check with the individual schools but a lot of them even require these letters for people who have been out of school a couple years. Some schools are flexible though even though they appear to have strict requirements it may be worth checking with them directly.

Yeah you are probably fine, honestly with a committee most schools will not require you to meet their letter requirements anyways(there are exceptions to this though, so when it doubt double check with the school, usually their website will say). I wouldn't get the extra letter if it is not going to add anything.

This thread is for 2014 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2014) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Allo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ, both here in this thread AND on the AMCAS website! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-allo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

For your reference, last year's thread is available here.

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it before asking your question by clicking the "Search this Thread" button near the top of the page.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a non-science professor. If you have done research, a letter from your PI is also recommended, especially at research-intensive schools. (If you know of any exceptions to this rule, feel free to post in this thread with citations and I will add them). Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well, a letter from a physician you shadowed/worked with who knows your skills well, a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website. A copy of an XLS spreadsheet from 2010 is attached to this post. The accuracy of this spreadsheet is unknown so be sure to check individual school websites! Keep in mind that a committee letter usually overrides any specific school requirements listed on the spreadsheet.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. Do your homework, buy an MSAR (I hear from this thread that the way to go is to buy online access because the hard copy is not as useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=811023), and look at the school websites. Also, AMCAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/ You can get a rough idea from the attached XLS spreadsheet but check school websites to confirm.
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?

The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?

The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AMCAS?
Once the application opens in May, you may begin submitting letters to AMCAS. Before you can mail a letter in, you must "create' the letter in your AMCAS application. This involves you telling AMCAS who the letter writer is and naming the letter in AMCAS. AMCAS will then give this letter an ID number. It is important for you to give your letter writer both your AMCAS ID number and the Letter ID number to avoid any snafus with lost letters. Your letter writer can then mail the letter into AMCAS with these two pieces of information, and the letter will be uploaded to your file and will be available to assign to any school you wish. I am told that while AMCAS will accept documents without your AMCAS ID on them, you MUST have the Letter ID or AMCAS will not accept it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not this is true.

You can create and submit letters at any time, including after you submit your application and after you are verified. This is one of the few parts of the application you can edit after submission.

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AMCAS application?

NO! You can submit your application without assigning letters. Again, this is one of the few parts of the application that can be altered later. HOWEVER, once you assign a letter to a school, you CANNOT un-assign it. If the letter is present in AMCAS, and you assign it to a school, it WILL go to that school. However, if you "create" the letter in AMCAS, assign it to a school, but your letter writer never sends the letter in, you can notify AMCAS (and the school, through the AMCAS application) that the letter will no longer be sent.

6. How many schools use the AMCAS Letter service?
This year, it looks like all but 5 schools that participate in AMCAS are participating in the letter service. Those non-participating schools are:
Duke University
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicinein Shreveport
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Universidad Central Del Caribe
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

The participating schools can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. AMCAS can only hold a maximum of 10 letters for you. If you need a minimum of 3 letters for each school, these slots will be used up rather quickly.

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to AMCAS once the application opens. When you do this, you have the ability to add on both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to the letter. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ding_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. OMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?

No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right. If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

13. If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

Please send me a PM if you know of additional questions suitable for the FAQ.

This is amazing! Thanks!:thumbup:

i'm an pre-med economics major. should my one non-science recommendation come from an economics professor? i've heard that adcoms may appreciate hearing from a major professor if i'm not a science major.

my conundrum is that i feel that one of my other non-science professors knows me better and would write a stronger letter, but he is an art professor. would his rec hold less weight?

thanks!

Okay so I signed up for Interfolio and I was wondering how this works with regards to adding the AAMC ID and AMCAS ID? Should I tell my letter writers to add the ID numbers or do I have some sort of option to add them via Interfolio? I looked everywhere and can't find any options on Interfolio to add ID numbers.

Okay so I signed up for Interfolio and I was wondering how this works with regards to adding the AAMC ID and AMCAS ID? Should I tell my letter writers to add the ID numbers or do I have some sort of option to add them via Interfolio? I looked everywhere and can't find any options on Interfolio to add ID numbers.

Merging with LOR thread

im pretty sure you add your ID numbers when you submit them to AAMC. There's no option to just store your number attached to a letter

So I add the ID then correct? No need to tell my writers to include it?

So I add the ID then correct? No need to tell my writers to include it?

I think you have to first get the letter request form when the application opens up on May 8th. To get the letter request form, you have to add all the needed info about the recommenders ( ie his/her address, occupation, phone no etc). Then you can download the request form, which generates a unique letter ID# and also your AAMC ID#. The recommender has to make sure that they mention the letter ID# and your AAMC ID# when they write their recommendations. I also have no idea how the interfolio works but your recommenders have to send their letter with a letterhead and signed ( maybe sealed). In addition, I am also a first time applicant and let me know if you know more about this Interfolio.
:)

I think you have to first get the letter request form when the application opens up on May 8th. To get the letter request form, you have to add all the needed info about the recommenders ( ie his/her address, occupation, phone no etc). Then you can download the request form, which generates a unique letter ID# and also your AAMC ID#. The recommender has to make sure that they mention the letter ID# and your AAMC ID# when they write their recommendations. I also have no idea how the interfolio works but your recommenders have to send their letter with a letterhead and signed ( maybe sealed). In addition, I am also a first time applicant and let me know if you know more about this Interfolio.
:)

You don't need to do this with Interfolio.

You still need to wait until the application opens up to get your letter ID# and your AAMC ID#, but your letter writers won't need that info in their LOR if you use Interfolio. They just write the LOR, submit to Interfolio, and when you transfer the letters from Interfolio to AMCAS, you append a letter ID# to them and your AMCAS ID.

You don't need to do this with Interfolio.

You still need to wait until the application opens up to get your letter ID# and your AAMC ID#, but your letter writers won't need that info in their LOR if you use Interfolio. They just write the LOR, submit to Interfolio, and when you transfer the letters from Interfolio to AMCAS, you append a letter ID# to them and your AMCAS ID.

What about letterhead and signature?

What about letterhead and signature?

Yes. You need that. That's a school-specific requirement, not AMCAS or Interfolio requirement. Interfolio will check for you if your letters have letterhead/signatures if you ask them to I think. But really, just make sure your letter writers know they have to write it on a letterhead and physically sign the letter.

Having a minor freak out session right now.
I graduated last year and am absolutely nowhere with my science LORs. Essentially, I have no science LORs. I currently have 1 strong LOR from a women's studies professor that directed my thesis, and 1 strong LOR from a lecturer that has an astrophysics specialty (he teaches astronomy) but I took a humanities seminar with under my school's honors college. I can probably get one from another professor that I took Forensic DNA Analysis (does this count as science? It was math based...?)

Is it a good idea to take an science class for the beginning of the summer for the sole purpose of getting an LOR? should I take two?

Last edited:
So I've currently been at the same job for the last 2 years and I wanted to get a letter of recommendation from one of my supervisors because I think they'd be pretty helpful in judging my work ethic/character. I was wondering which one of these would be more beneficial

1) A more favorable letter from my manager who left in February 2013, but I worked mainly with him for the last 2 years. Does it matter if he doesn't work there anymore/can he still use the official letterhead?
2) A current manager whom I also work/worked with but probably don't talk to as much

Thanks!

Does anyone have a list of schools that don't have specific science/non-science letter requirements?

When do letters need to be submitted by for optimal timing? Or when do I need to tell my letter writers they are due by? Thanks