*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I did not write this thread - it has been passed down through the eons by pre-allo staff.

This thread is for 2017 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2017) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Allo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ, both here in this thread AND on the AMCAS website! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-allo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

For your reference, last year's (2015-2016) thread is available here.
Stole from @tantacles

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it before asking your question by clicking the "Search this Thread" button near the top of the page.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a non-science professor. If you have done research, a letter from your PI is also recommended, especially at research-intensive schools. (If you know of any exceptions to this rule, feel free to post in this thread with citations and I will add them). Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well, a letter from a physician you shadowed/worked with who knows your skills well, a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website. A copy of an XLS spreadsheet from 2010 is attached to this post. The accuracy of this spreadsheet is unknown so be sure to check individual school websites! Keep in mind that a committee letter usually overrides any specific school requirements listed on the spreadsheet.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. Do your homework, buy an MSAR (I hear from this thread that the way to go is to buy online access because the hard copy is not as useful:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=811023), and look at the school websites. Also, AMCAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/ You can get a rough idea from the attached XLS spreadsheet but check school websites to confirm.
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?

The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?
The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AMCAS?
Once the application opens in May, you may begin submitting letters to AMCAS. Before you can mail a letter in, you must "create' the letter in your AMCAS application. This involves you telling AMCAS who the letter writer is and naming the letter in AMCAS. AMCAS will then give this letter an ID number. It is important for you to give your letter writer both your AMCAS ID number and the Letter ID number to avoid any snafus with lost letters. Your letter writer can then mail the letter into AMCAS with these two pieces of information, and the letter will be uploaded to your file and will be available to assign to any school you wish. I am told that while AMCAS will accept documents without your AMCAS ID on them, you MUST have the Letter ID or AMCAS will not accept it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not this is true.

You can create and submit letters at any time, including after you submit your application and after you are verified. This is one of the few parts of the application you can edit after submission.

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AMCAS application?
NO! You can submit your application without assigning letters. Again, this is one of the few parts of the application that can be altered later. HOWEVER, once you assign a letter to a school, you CANNOT un-assign it. If the letter is present in AMCAS, and you assign it to a school, it WILL go to that school. However, if you "create" the letter in AMCAS, assign it to a school, but your letter writer never sends the letter in, you can notify AMCAS (and the school, through the AMCAS application) that the letter will no longer be sent.

6. How many schools use the AMCAS Letter service?
This year, it looks like all but 4 schools that participate in AMCAS are participating in the letter service. Those non-participating schools are:
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicinein Shreveport
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Universidad Central Del Caribe
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

The participating schools can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. AMCAS can only hold a maximum of 10 letters for you. If you need a minimum of 3 letters for each school, these slots will be used up rather quickly.

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to AMCAS once the application opens. When you do this, you have the ability to add on both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to the letter. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ding_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. OMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?
No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right. If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

13. If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

Please send me a PM if you know of additional questions suitable for the FAQ.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What's a good deadline to give people for this year?

Just to add to the 'Dawgs white paper on the subject

1) For purposes of LOR/LOE, what is science?

Many applicants equate "science" with AMCAS "BCPM". This is not accurate. Science for purposes LOR/LOE is what "normal" science would be at a college or university. This would include Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, certainty. But it would also include Oceanography, Geology, some Psychology or even Computer Science and Materials Sciences. Under this general theme most health and medical science fields could be considered science. What about engineering and math generally? They can actually be framed either way, which usually depends more on the background of the candidate than anything else (ie what professors has the applicant worked with.).

2)How can I judge if a letter writer fits a science or non-science criteria?

Applicants who need to look at this issue must do something that few seem to do: use their judgement. You can look at the degree the letter writer holds, the department to which they are faculty, and the title/position they hold within that department. Perhaps even more telling is the course that you may have taken So Dr. John Smith, PhD, Professor of Behavioral Neurosciences , Department of Psychology teaching a course -- PSYCH 402: Molecular Neurochemistry of Abnormal Psychology, would clearly be a sciences letter even though the professor and the course are from the psychology department. Another example would be Dr. Bob Jones, PhD, Associate Professor of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology, Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies teaching a course -- EXPHYS 340: physiological responses in sports training. Again, certainly science work even thought it is an Exercise Science course and department. So use your judgement on these.

In sum, getting a letter from a professor who knows you well and can write a critical evaluation of you is much more important than the strict interpretation science

This makes a lot of sense! Thanks for this. I'm not sure why my committee says explicitly two from Biology/Physics/Chemistry/Math -_-

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
error

Last edited:
Premed committees set their own rules as there are no standards for them. Sounds like your committee is under the impression since that is what AMCAS call "science", that is all they should limit it to. The BCPM is a hold over from the "classic" approach to premedical studies first outlined in the Flexnor report from 1910. Thru the 1980s this was part of the "traditional" premed/bio student's expected prep. AMCAS followed this and got agreement from the medical schools to "standardized" GPA calculations on this classification. However, The medical schools are looking for an indepth evaluation of you as a student. You may want to suggest to the committee to expand from that limited view. There is some info on the link below for committee. I have also attached the AMCAS letter guidelines that I strong suggest each applicant give to every letter writer when asking for an LOR/LOE

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/letters/

Thank you. One of my professors is on the committee I will try to discuss it with him. Like your example in your first post, I am a psych student with 2+ years long relationships with neuro professors and I'd hate to not include them especially since I am interested in neuro-specialities first and foremost.

error

Last edited:
So I applied this current cycle and am sitting on 1 waitlist so it's looking like I'm going to have to reapply. My school's committee letter (which I used this time around) is not a compilation of other letters, which I think is the norm. My school has a committee (~5 members) and whoever from the committee knows you best writes the letter. Does this still serve as a committee letter? (The letter will be re-written cause someone else on the committee wants to write it, I know two individuals on the committee very well so I know it'll be a good letter). But mainly what I'm asking is if this serves as a committee letter cause it's not the usual compilation of letters? Thanks!

Since undergraduate institutions may structure their premed committees anyway they see fit and provide a letter as they judge appropriate, this will indeed be considered formal committee letter.

I will also suggest that you look at the any medical schools that offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students examine. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon. Links to several of these medical pages can be found at my post here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/help-potential-reapplicant.1191833/#post-17598336
Thank you!! I will check those pages out. My main issue is my MCAT, which I've known all along (don't even know why I applied this cycle honestly) so I've been working on it :)

Hello, I want to ask if a non-science recommendation letter can be from a doctor that I have shadowed?

Or who can it be written by?

My school has (The Health Professions Advisory Committee) HPAC that compiles all the recommendation letters from the professors I request and then one faculty will write a letter (a cover page?) based on those rec letters. My question is that I have chosen 3 science professors, so that means I still need one non-science rec letter right?

Thank you!

I've had several people tell me that they cannot use official letterhead. Obviously this is probably a dealbreaker at schools that require it but for the ones that don't explicitly say that, what do you think?

Ideally I would include a sheet from the institution confirming that I volunteer/work there but that would be way too much of a hassle to ask of my letter writers. Even if I obtained it, scanned it, and emailed it to them, idk if they would know how to combine them into one pdf to upload.

Hello, I want to ask if a non-science recommendation letter can be from a doctor that I have shadowed?

Or who can it be written by?

My school has (The Health Professions Advisory Committee) HPAC that compiles all the recommendation letters from the professors I request and then one faculty will write a letter (a cover page?) based on those rec letters. My question is that I have chosen 3 science professors, so that means I still need one non-science rec letter right?

Thank you!
Non-science usually refers to a letter from someone who taught you in a classroom in a non-science subject. A shadowed doc would not count as such

I've had several people tell me that they cannot use official letterhead. Obviously this is probably a dealbreaker at schools that require it but for the ones that don't explicitly say that, what do you think?

This seems like a deal-breaker in general.

Anyone providing you with a LOR should have access to a letterhead. Mind sharing who these people are, as maybe there is some detail I missed?

Ideally I would include a sheet from the institution confirming that I volunteer/work there but that would be way too much of a hassle to ask of my letter writers. Even if I obtained it, scanned it, and emailed it to them, idk if they would know how to combine them into one pdf to upload.
If they can't then they can't. The schools that don't care won't care, the schools that care will still hassle you even with an extra sheet of confirmation. Best to call the schools who care now and ask what you can do, making sure there's a reasonable reason why your writers cannot use a letterhead. If you have a committee letter it probably won't matter because the committee packet trumps everything else

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied this current cycle and am sitting on 1 waitlist so it's looking like I'm going to have to reapply. My school's committee letter (which I used this time around) is not a compilation of other letters, which I think is the norm. My school has a committee (~5 members) and whoever from the committee knows you best writes the letter. Does this still serve as a committee letter? (The letter will be re-written cause someone else on the committee wants to write it, I know two individuals on the committee very well so I know it'll be a good letter). But mainly what I'm asking is if this serves as a committee letter cause it's not the usual compilation of letters? Thanks!
Whatever your school's committee sends out is the committee letter. There is no standardization as to what the letter should say; it just so happens that most committees work the same way.

I'm a postbac and I currently work full-time at a cancer institute doing retrospective clinical research in surgical oncology. My research team is composed of three surgeons who act as PIs and see once a week, and one primary director who I see every day and usually have lunch with all the time. I just kind of decided only to ask the surgeon I have the most meaningful contact with for a letter because we work very closely together. I also work with two surgical residents who are on research sabbatical. I work very very closely with all of them and I feel they know me the most personally and have the greatest sense of my work ethic and productivity. My family was encouraging me to ask them for letters as well, but I assumed since they are still in the training portion of the medical career it wouldn't be appropriate. Thoughts?
You are correct, your family is wrong. Asking residents for letters is almost always a no-go. You can certainly ask for a combined letter where the residents help write and the surgeon signs it.

What's a good deadline to give people for this year?
If you have a committee, earlier like May bc the committee needs to do its thing and submit; get yours in before everyone else's. If no committee, wrapping up in June or July is fine. If you can get earlier, always do so obv

Whatever your school's committee sends out is the committee letter. There is no standardization as to what the letter should say; it just so happens that most committees work the same way.
thank you! so for schools that require a committee letter, should i be sending in just this one letter? i have others, which is what i sent in last year (i have new ones as well). i just want to get it completely right this time. is it okay to send in extras besides the committee letter? i'm guessing it depends on the school

You are correct, your family is wrong. Asking residents for letters is almost always a no-go. You can certainly ask for a combined letter where the residents help write and the surgeon signs it.

Thanks. That seems so reasonable I suspect that's what they are doing anyway.

This seems like a deal-breaker in general.

Anyone providing you with a LOR should have access to a letterhead. Mind sharing who these people are, as maybe there is some detail I missed?

My supervisors at the hospital I volunteer at and the nursing home I work at. Both have told me that they are not allowed to use letterhead and I even confirmed this with an email to the higher ups.

If they can't then they can't. The schools that don't care won't care, the schools that care will still hassle you even with an extra sheet of confirmation. Best to call the schools who care now and ask what you can do, making sure there's a reasonable reason why your writers cannot use a letterhead. If you have a committee letter it probably won't matter because the committee packet trumps everything else

No, my school has no committee letter/letter packet so I've gotta get individual letters. I'm working on narrowing down my school list now so I can start emailing and asking about this.

My supervisors at the hospital I volunteer at and the nursing home I work at. Both have told me that they are not allowed to use letterhead and I even confirmed this with an email to the higher ups.

It is my personal opinion that people writing letters should be of high enough "rank" to warrant a letterhead. Since they are your supervisors though, and their letters are obviously important, perhaps a business card could be included? It will definitely limit your application, as some schools require it - though it may just take extra work on your part to get exceptions made.

It is my personal opinion that people writing letters should be of high enough "rank" to warrant a letterhead. Since they are your supervisors though, and their letters are obviously important, perhaps a business card could be included? It will definitely limit your application, as some schools require it - though it may just take extra work on your part to get exceptions made.

hmmm but those people of higher up rank quite often do not supervise us on the floor so they wouldn't know anything about us, if you know what I mean (and by us I mean most premeds that are like me - in introductory positions such as volunteering or CNA).

A business card is an interesting idea that I haven't though of, though. I'll see if that would work. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
thank you! so for schools that require a committee letter, should i be sending in just this one letter? i have others, which is what i sent in last year (i have new ones as well). i just want to get it completely right this time. is it okay to send in extras besides the committee letter? i'm guessing it depends on the school
Don't you gather individual letters and give them to your committee to write a summary/analysis where they rank you? That's how it works at basically all committees. Also no school requires a committee letter; it's usually YOUR college that makes you use the service when it exists.

Don't you gather individual letters and give them to your committee to write a summary/analysis where they rank you? That's how it works at basically all committees. Also no school requires a committee letter; it's usually YOUR college that makes you use the service when it exists.
no.. that's why my committee is so weird.. it's just the one person who knows you best writes the letter. no other letters go into it, someone who knows you on the committee just basically writes you an individual letter and they call it a committee letter. there's also a minimum gpa/mcat to get the letter, idk if that makes a difference

So our LORs technically dont have to be in until we submit our secondary apps right? or does this vary depending on the school/whether they review primary apps first

no.. that's why my committee is so weird.. it's just the one person who knows you best writes the letter. no other letters go into it, someone who knows you on the committee just basically writes you an individual letter and they call it a committee letter. there's also a minimum gpa/mcat to get the letter, idk if that makes a difference
Sounds like it's just a regular letter. So one of many you should send
So our LORs technically dont have to be in until we submit our secondary apps right? or does this vary depending on the school/whether they review primary apps first
I don't know of any secondary screening schools that look at LORs during the screen. But they may exist; check the school specific threads. Otherwise yes, no rush for LORs to be in before your secondary since nobody touches an app until all parts are complete. But planning to be right on time with LORs usually leads to disappointments so...

Sounds like it's just a regular letter. So one of many you should send

I don't know of any secondary screening schools that look at LORs during the screen. But they may exist; check the school specific threads. Otherwise yes, no rush for LORs to be in before your secondary since nobody touches an app until all parts are complete. But planning to be right on time with LORs usually leads to disappointments so...
thank you! seems like there are conflicting views of what this counts as. maybe i'll reach out to individual schools. this app cycle, no schools contacted me to say it wasn't appropriate or anything, i sent that letter and 2 more (one research, one volunteering)

thank you! seems like there are conflicting views of what this counts as. maybe i'll reach out to individual schools. this app cycle, no schools contacted me to say it wasn't appropriate or anything, i sent that letter and 2 more (one research, one volunteering)
Not sure why you see conflicting views...follow the LOR instructions of the schools you're applying to. Your weird committee letter is just another extra one. If you only sent those 3 letters this past cycle, don't do it again. Follow the 2 science/1 non-science minimum and add the other letters as you see necessary.

Not sure why you see conflicting views...follow the LOR instructions of the schools you're applying to. Your weird committee letter is just another extra one. If you only sent those 3 letters this past cycle, don't do it again. Follow the 2 science/1 non-science minimum and add the other letters as you see necessary.
okay, thanks for your advice! i'll do that!

This is your school's committee letter

I dont normally recommend that people send in additional letters if they have a committee letter but in your case I would send in letters to the schools based on their individual requirements

That is incorrect. Many medical schools still require/strongly recommend a committee letter as the primary LOE and only want indivdual letters if no committee exists.

Yeah, send individual letters as well
Thank you so much!! So for sending individual letters, should I send in a science or non-science? I was planning on a research, a volunteering and 1 science letter but it's not a problem for me to get a non-science

The research one is not faculty at my school. It's a side research project, more clinical in nature. But the person writing the committee letter is who I do research with at school and I've had her for 2 classes. And the person who wrote my committee letter last year I've had in class as well. So I guess those will be my two science and then I'll get a non-science! Thank you!!

So your committee letter effectively a science, you have another science, the side clinical research, so get a non science
perfect, thank you so much! i have someone to ask for a non-science so i'll get on that this week

Simply have the personal write a formal business letter with their complete Name, Title, Position, and Contact info. It wont be an issue without letterhead. This was quite important "back in the day" (I hate that phrase) when paper letters were the norm. Letterhead on email isnt all that common.

What do you mean? I should tell them to include that letter with the LoR? Wouldn't it be sufficient to have all of that info in the signature of the letter?

What I was saying that the full name, title, and contact info should be enough for a lack of a formal letter head

ah, I see. Thank you. Honestly, I hope most adcoms are as understanding as you are but I have a feeling that may not be the case. Several schools I've looked at explicitly say on their website that they want letterhead. Maybe I'll shoot them an email.

Would a letter from the professor of a course (introduction to ecology and behavior) under the department of ecology and evolutionary biology generally count as a science letter at most schools? I looked at Case Western Reserve University's letters of recommendation requirements and they specified that ecology would not count as a science. I haven't found any other schools that specified this though.

No, unfortunately. I havent come across this in any other school and seems, frankly, snobbish. As you pointed out E&E is usually a Biology department . But they are specific so you will have to look elsewhere for a letter

https://case.edu/medicine/admissions/application-process/requirements/letters-of-recommendation/
We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement but are acceptable as additional letters of recommendation

Thank you for the reply!
So it's safe to use an E&E letter as a science letter for the rest of the schools I'm applying to?

This might seem like a silly question, but I'm graduating this year and wanted to get a gift for each of my letter writers. I can't really wait until after they write the letter to give them a gift since I won't be in town anymore, so should I give it to them beforehand? I don't want to seem like I'm bribing them or something, but I also want to make sure I adequately thank them for helping me out.

Something that is small, inexpensive, etc shouldnt be misconstrued. Even so, it may make them feel slightly awkward. You may be better sending them something after the fact with a heartfelt card if you wish. Depends on your relationship with them. When I was an undergrad, my PI/Bio prof considered me family.

I don't think I have that "family" relationship with my recommenders other than one of them, for whom I know wouldn't misconstrue the gift. For the others, what kind of gift would be appropriate after they have written it? I would have to send it by mail since I will be nowhere near the campus after graduation. I was thinking something like a box of chocolates, but not sure I can send that in the mail.

A box of chocolates is highly unlikely to be misconstrued; it should be more than fine to give it to them before you leave.

BTW, I send chocolates and other similar gifts via amazon all the time

Alright thanks gonnif! I will give them the chocolates and a card before I leave.

If I'm applying to both tmdsas and amcas do I need to put both IDs on the letter? Would it look weird if my tmdsas schools saw my amcas ID and vice versa?

For non-traditional students, how much of a deal breaker is the non-science letter. I know some schools will take a letter from my supervisor instead.

I am asking because I am debating taking a summer course (psych maybe?) for a letter. Just not sure if it would do me any good.

I would not take a course just for a letter as the professor won't have enough time to evaluate you as a person. As a student, yes; but as a person? I would think it'd take longer than a couple of months.

For last year, I had the executive for whom I worked write my non-science/work LOR. This year, I don't know (they're not my client anymore).

Hi guys,

Someone might have answered this question already but I might have missed it. I want to ask if my school has Health Professions Advisory Committee, do I still need that non-science rec letter?

And if I do, does that letter go into the packet as well? I currently have 3 science rec letter writers, I just need to find a non-science writer and I'm good to go. So, are 4 rec letters a bit too many? :)

Thanks for the help!

For science letters, can they only come from the lecture professor and not the lab professor?

I have two science prof who agreed already for the committee, but they are both in bio, so I was thinking of getting and a chem/physics to swap one of them. And the additional could always just be an extra outside of the committee letter.
However, physics and chemistry had very large lectures 200+ students, I got to know all of my professors well, however I know I am even closer with my lab professors because I've spent 3x the time with them. Plus lab professors I think can speak more to problem solving, ability to work on a team effectively, and leaderships skills.

Are lab professors generally not advised?

I would not take a course just for a letter as the professor won't have enough time to evaluate you as a person. As a student, yes; but as a person? I would think it'd take longer than a couple of months.

That is very true. It was more of a check of the box kinda thing. A lot of schools require at least 1 non-science professor letter of recommendation and it makes me nervous banking on schools making an exception because I am nontraditional.

That is very true. It was more of a check of the box kinda thing. A lot of schools require at least 1 non-science professor letter of recommendation and it makes me nervous banking on schools making an exception because I am nontraditional.

For non-science, and being that we are non-trads, can you ask someone in a managerial role to provide it? Last year, I had the executive over a few areas write mine as the "non-science" or business person who knew me well.

What you don't want is a check-the-box on anything related to med school (other than "check" took orgo :) )

Reactions: 1 user
So I have almost all of the letters I'll be using in interfolio now. Does anyone know how to go about getting my AMCAS ID added to them? Should I just give Interfolio a call?

So I have almost all of the letters I'll be using in interfolio now. Does anyone know how to go about getting my AMCAS ID added to them? Should I just give Interfolio a call?

I had this question too. From what I gathered, you don't get an AMCAS ID until the application opens in May. You can ask professors to send in letters now to Interfolio and then add the ID later when you're submitting it from Interfolio to AMCAS. Still need them to do it on official letterhead and sign before sending it to Interfolio though.

I had this question too. From what I gathered, you don't get an AMCAS ID until the application opens in May. You can ask professors to send in letters now to Interfolio and then add the ID later when you're submitting it from Interfolio to AMCAS. Still need them to do it on official letterhead and sign before sending it to Interfolio though.

You basically just restated my question lol

I am wondering how to "add" information to letters that I'm not allowed to see.

Individual Letters from 2 science and 1 non-science faculty/instructors
***OR***
Prehealth Committee letter (requirements set by committee)
(post counter #002)

1) Science letters are science letters and can come from who you deem appropriate, lab or lecture
2) The science/non-science letters apply to individual letters being sent directly to the schools; they do not represent requirements for committee letters. For that you need to contact your committee
3) who wants to start a pool on how many times I post the letter blurb this year?

Lol sorry! But my peers said that labs didn't count so I wanted to confirm the truthfulness.

1) If you examine any medical school website, none that I have seen, mention or prohibit lab professors. However, in many schools, labs are often taught by TAs.
2) If your peers still persist, have them provide some form of documentation or links to where they are possibly getting these myths.
3) If they dont provide the above, tell them to take an acrobatic intercourse at a locomoting pastry.

In my case, both physics and chemistry labs were taught by Ph.D adjunct professors.

From the committee website it only says BCPM constricted, but no distinction on whether lab or lecture professor.

And will do!