***Official Pre-Med School FITNESS Goal Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WHAT?!?! Lies! SDN is just fine. ;)

Good job though! Over halfway done with the first week and I think I'm a little ahead in our competition, but my wife is a power player. She can really rack up those points. Lol
I figured out that the only way I have a chance of winning is to do a 40 min workout every day. Insanity is 40 mins.
After two days straight of insanity I feel like a million bucks!

We decided to make this week a practice run and 'officially' start the competition next Monday on the 15th. So until then...endless amounts of SDN!!! Yay~ (lol I need a job or something)

Insanity every day is intense dude! But if you can keep it up everyday then you definitely deserve the prize imo, haha

Btw does anyone have any progress to report? It's been at least a week since most of us joined the thread

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished our first week of the challenge. My wife beat me by 9 points. Grrrr! We're also giving weekly prizes to whoever gets the most points so she gets $20 to spend however she wants.
My plan to win is to work out a minimum of 20 mins a day. I think I can beat her if I do that. I did drink a lot more water and eat more fruits veggies AND cut out sugary treats pretty much the whole week, so that's a big plus for me.

WHAT?!?! Lies! SDN is just fine. ;)

Good job though! Over halfway done with the first week and I think I'm a little ahead in our competition, but my wife is a power player. She can really rack up those points. Lol
I figured out that the only way I have a chance of winning is to do a 40 min workout every day. Insanity is 40 mins. After two days straight of insanity I feel like a million bucks!

How is the insanity workout? I am thinking about investing in it but am kind of scared I wont be able to do it. Any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
this thread needs some "before" pics.. ;) also what school(s) you want to attend in the fall will help. esp if i see that you are getting fit and will possibly will be in my OMM lab...

This thread was created on 9/29. How many times have I worked out since 9/29? 0.

This thread was created on 9/29. How many times have I worked out since 9/29? 0.
do one push-up before you post. you could have done 10,900 push-ups since u've joined. call it the sdn workout.

Just finished our first week of the challenge. My wife beat me by 9 points. Grrrr! We're also giving weekly prizes to whoever gets the most points so she gets $20 to spend however she wants.
My plan to win is to work out a minimum of 20 mins a day. I think I can beat her if I do that. I did drink a lot more water and eat more fruits veggies AND cut out sugary treats pretty much the whole week, so that's a big plus for me.

You guys are investing a lot of money into this competition! How long is it supposed to last? $20 a week can really add up!

this thread needs some "before" pics.. ;) also what school(s) you want to attend in the fall will help. esp if i see that you are getting fit and will possibly will be in my OMM lab...

tumblr_maxcnapn1T1qjdybjo1_500.gif

I know too many people on SDN in person hahaha

School I would like to attend in the fall:
top DO: WesternU
top MD: UCR/UCLA or UCR SoM

tumblr_maxcnapn1T1qjdybjo1_500.gif

I know too many people on SDN in person hahaha

School I would like to attend in the fall:
top DO: WesternU
top MD: UCR/UCLA or UCR SoM

Yeah I was gonna say I don't think anyone wants a picture of me on this forum. Especially shirtless! Yikes!

Our challenge is just the month of October. We just changed it up so it's only covering health issues like drinking enough water, eating fruits and veggies, working out, etc. we were trying to get all out points doing housework and avoiding working out.
Very clean house and almost no exercise. Lol

As for insanity, I'm not in the best shape but I'm not horrible either. I was doing p90x before and it was hard, but not mind-blowingly so. Insanity is a real beast though. I think anyone can do it, just slower at first if you're not in great shape. I just like that there's no weights, it's only 40 mins, and I think cardio type stuff is what I need.

Good luck!

1. gc91
2. All my family's health problems, especially type II diabetes and high blood pressure
3. I'm 5'1 and 164, pear shaped
4. 1. Don't gain any weight 2. Try to lose 10 pounds 3. Long term goal is 145, but as long as my BMI is under 30 I don't care so much because I carry the weight pretty well for the fact that I'm pixee sized. I don't wanna be thin, I just wanna be healthy.

I've never been thin, ever. I was a morbidly obese kid, 203 pounds at my heaviest at 13. I got down to 145 by junior year of high school but I gained 20+ pounds senior year and gained another 15 in college. I've lost the college weight and I actually weigh a couple pounds less then I did my senior year of high school, but I'm worried about gaining weight because it is not hard for me to put it on.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an awesome idea!

1. Shouraisei
2. Wanting to feel and look healthy before I become a doctor and help others to be healthy (have to set a good example). Also hypertension and type II diabetes run in my family and I'd like to avoid these conditions.
3. I'm 5'4 and 135 lbs (lost 7 pounds since graduation!!), a little flabby around my middle
4. No more weight gain, burning ~400 calories a day (30 minutes of high resistance elliptical and half an hour of brisk walking in the evening), more muscle and less fat! :)

I'll join! I don't post much on sdn but i just got back from the gym and saw this lol

1. SN: callmefanny
2. Motivation: So I can walk up the stairs without it hurting lol. And to be healthier of course. Aaand to get rid of love handles.
3. Current Status: 115lbs of flabby lol
4. Goal: I wanna stay same weight but tone up. a lot.

I've never been motivated to go to the gym cuz im lazy but i forced myself to get a gym membership so now i HAVE to go.

Yeah I was gonna say I don't think anyone wants a picture of me on this forum. Especially shirtless! Yikes!

Our challenge is just the month of October. We just changed it up so it's only covering health issues like drinking enough water, eating fruits and veggies, working out, etc. we were trying to get all out points doing housework and avoiding working out.
Very clean house and almost no exercise. Lol

As for insanity, I'm not in the best shape but I'm not horrible either. I was doing p90x before and it was hard, but not mind-blowingly so. Insanity is a real beast though. I think anyone can do it, just slower at first if you're not in great shape. I just like that there's no weights, it's only 40 mins, and I think cardio type stuff is what I need.

Good luck!

Oh ok, I thought maybe it was until you matriculate and was gonna say that's a lot of money to win every week.

Hahaha the clean house no exercise is a good strategy for racking up points. Our list is a mix of health stuff and miscellaneous activities. You get points for eating better, exercising, flossing (ugh I hate flossing!), staying away from SDN, cooking food, doing dishes, reading, creative activities, stuff like that. Knowing ModernAlchemist though, I'll probably get screwed over if I don't do the exercising bit and only do the other stuff -_-. Plus, I realllyyyy want to lose weight and the only way to do so effectively is eating better + exercising, so I really have no choice!

Oh ok, I thought maybe it was until you matriculate and was gonna say that's a lot of money to win every week.

Hahaha the clean house no exercise is a good strategy for racking up points. Our list is a mix of health stuff and miscellaneous activities. You get points for eating better, exercising, flossing (ugh I hate flossing!), staying away from SDN, cooking food, doing dishes, reading, creative activities, stuff like that. Knowing ModernAlchemist though, I'll probably get screwed over if I don't do the exercising bit and only do the other stuff -_-. Plus, I realllyyyy want to lose weight and the only way to do so effectively is eating better + exercising, so I really have no choice!

Yup, the exercise an healthy eating is key! For me, it's not that I eat really unhealthy-like, but that I eat a LOT of food. A holdover from my insanely high metabolism, which I no longer have, combined with having 8 siblings and always feeling like I had to fight to get my food. Now I eat all the time, especially if I'm bored. If I'm busy with school and work I can end up only eating twice in the whole day and that's bad for the metabolism too. How much/what/when you eat can make as much a difference, if not more, than exercise!

Third day in a row of insanity. I feel like a million bucks! A million soggy, sweaty, quivering lungs, tired bucks, but it's still a million

Third day in a row of insanity. I feel like a million bucks! A million soggy, sweaty, quivering lungs, tired bucks, but it's still a million

Insanity is too insane for me lol. I do like doing the insanity cardio abs workout though but that's about it
I jogged for 20 minutes straight with a 3 minute break yesterday and thats my biggest feat of the month

Insanity is too insane for me lol. I do like doing the insanity cardio abs workout though but that's about it
I jogged for 20 minutes straight with a 3 minute break yesterday and thats my biggest feat of the month

That's great! I think the key is to choose an activity that pushes you, but is doable, and then BE CONSISTENT! I mean its so important to just keep on doing it!

That's great! I think the key is to choose an activity that pushes you, but is doable, and then BE CONSISTENT! I mean its so important to just keep on doing it!

true dat. i hope i can maintain the sudden motivation
it helps that if i dont feel like going to the gym i can go jog at the beach and then get in the water and watch the sunset :D

true dat. i hope i can maintain the sudden motivation
it helps that if i dont feel like going to the gym i can go jog at the beach and then get in the water and watch the sunset :D

Are you in Florida? Because I would never go into the water on the west coast...it's way too cold!! That sounds like my kind of workout though :D

Are you in Florida? Because I would never go into the water on the west coast...it's way too cold!! That sounds like my kind of workout though :D

yup! on the gulf coast too so the water is nice and warm right now :). gotta enjoy it before red tide comes and ruins it

Woo~ Keep it up!

yup! on the gulf coast too so the water is nice and warm right now :). gotta enjoy it before red tide comes and ruins it

Ahh lucky. I used to live in Miami a while back and something I definitely miss is being able to go into the water without freezing :oops: Since you're on the gulf coast, did you apply to LECOM-B?

How much did it cost? I've always wanted to do it, but I hear it's expensive.

just an FYI, but you can download P90X and P90X insanity online for free. I don't know much about computers or how to navigate them (other than the basics), but I do know that they can be found online since I've completed both programs with a friend who downloaded them both.

Ahh lucky. I used to live in Miami a while back and something I definitely miss is being able to go into the water without freezing :oops: Since you're on the gulf coast, did you apply to LECOM-B?

Yeah! but found out a few days ago i got put on hold for re-review... in 60 days :(. I'm actually ~20 minutes from lecom-b and know people that are in pharm, dental, and med school there so it kinda sucks.

How much did it cost? I've always wanted to do it, but I hear it's expensive.

it could cost nothing :cool:

Yeah! but found out a few days ago i got put on hold for re-review... in 60 days :(. I'm actually ~20 minutes from lecom-b and know people that are in pharm, dental, and med school there so it kinda sucks.

it could cost nothing :cool:

Oh really. PM me :)

Oh really. PM me :)

ummmm did it work? lol i tried like 5 times last night so either you got the same stupid PM 5 times or not at all. im an obvious sdn noob

anyway. all you gotta do is become a pirate ;) coughtorrentscough

So I'm not doing insanity today, but we did go to a "jump house" full of those inflatable jumpy castles and stuff with my wife, 2.5 yr old daughter, and my 13 yr old brother. This place has HUGE inflatables including slides and towers and crazy obstacle courses.
I went nuts at this place, running all around, sliding, bouncing off the walls, and worked up a good sweat. People probably thought I was a few bricks shy of a full load but it was awesome!
Workout for the day...like a boss.

Then I went home and had a delicious spinach protein shake! Oh yeah!

So I'm not doing insanity today, but we did go to a "jump house" full of those inflatable jumpy castles and stuff with my wife, 2.5 yr old daughter, and my 13 yr old brother. This place has HUGE inflatables including slides and towers and crazy obstacle courses.
I went nuts at this place, running all around, sliding, bouncing off the walls, and worked up a good sweat. People probably thought I was a few bricks shy of a full load but it was awesome!
Workout for the day...like a boss.

Then I went home and had a delicious spinach protein shake! Oh yeah!

Haha I'm impressed with how motivated you are. I haven't been in one of those bouncy things in a while. The last time was when I was a senior in high school and a friend who was being nostalgic, decided to rent out a huge one and put it in his backyard. Someone decided to turn off the blower as a prank and the whole thing collapsed on us really fast. Unfortunately, we could never get it to inflate again. We were sad.

Haha I'm impressed with how motivated you are. I haven't been in one of those bouncy things in a while. The last time was when I was a senior in high school and a friend who was being nostalgic, decided to rent out a huge one and put it in his backyard. Someone decided to turn off the blower as a prank and the whole thing collapsed on us really fast. Unfortunately, we could never get it to inflate again. We were sad.

That would be sad. I'm saddened just thinking about a collapsed bouncy house that can't get re-inflated. :(

For anyone that wants to try my healthy spinach shake here's the recipe:
I use a magic bullet type blender so it blends a single serving in a cup.
5-6 ice cubes
Half a banana
A handful of baby spinach
A spoonful of peanut butter
1-2 scoops of either vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
Full it up with almond/rice/or almond coconut milk.
Blend and enjoy

Is it too late to join? :/

The :/ face at the end of your post made me feel a little sad when I read it haha

It's never too late to join! Just fill out the four questions on the 1st page of the thread :D

Yay! Lol I know some threads like these have registration deadlines, so I was worried.

SDN NAME: sausalito
MOTIVATION: I want optimal health. Toned. Feeling comfortable at the beach would be great too.
CURRENT STATUS: 5'10.5, 190. Unfortunate love handles.
GOAL: 170 first. I have a road bike collecting dust and Insanity that I quit after the fitness test. Consistency with those is part of my goal too lol.

I've updated for all of the new people that joined our thread!

If you have progress you want logged, please title your post in this thread like I have done for this post, but with your own name (i.e. "Your Username" UPDATE).

Can't wait to hear about the progress! Good luck, everyone!

Yay! Lol I know some threads like these have registration deadlines, so I was worried.

MOTIVATION: I want optimal health. Toned. Feeling comfortable at the beach would be great too.
GOAL: 170 first. I have a road bike collecting dust and Insanity that I quit after the fitness test. Consistency with those is part of my goal too lol.

lol i didnt pass the fitness test......

Yay for insanity! I've really just started it and its quite brutal for me.
Stick with it!

Oh and just so everyone knows, I "failed" the fitness test too, if that means I had to take multiple breaks while doing it. I think the only way to really fail it is to not finish it and to not continue with insanity afterwards. Go for it!

Stick with it!

Oh and just so everyone knows, I "failed" the fitness test too, if that means I had to take multiple breaks while doing it. I think the only way to really fail it is to not finish it and to not continue with insanity afterwards. Go for it!

I haven't seen the fitness test, but if you 'pass', do you even need to do insanity to begin with? Haha

i know it's getting cold on the east coast, but you guys must continue. get up and workout! :banana:

1. wooki
2. magazines, other people, society, OMM lab, myself
3. 183, athletic build
4. 175, lean-muscular

prospective schools: azcom, ccom, or DMU

Last edited:
I haven't seen the fitness test, but if you 'pass', do you even need to do insanity to begin with? Haha

Ha! Good point.

Well, I think I did well this past week. 5 days of insanity and one other day of an hour of extreme...bouncy housing. Lol
Only problem is last night we had a celebratory dinner with family at Buca Di Beppo's and man I ate a lot if bread and stuff. Lol

Stick with it!

Lol. I tried Insanity for the first time in May or June. I did the fitness test, barely completed it, but was too sore and immediately fell off lol. So yeah, I failed too.

Whoa, five days? Impressive. Congrats! How did you feel afterwards? Lol.

I went to a family party yesterday and danced for hours with my sister. Cardio :D

I'll do the fit test today and state how I feel tomorrow lol.

Whoa, five days? Impressive. Congrats! How did you feel afterwards? Lol.

I went to a family party yesterday and danced for hours with my sister. Cardio :D

I'll do the fit test today and state how I feel tomorrow lol.

I've been a different kind of sore pretty much each day, so today is no different. Honestly, it's a satisfying soreness if you know what I mean.
Actually, after a week of doing it regularly I'm looking forward to continuing with it. It sucks bad when I'm in the middle of the workout, but I feel much more awake and whole exercising each day like this.
Do the fit test and then don't let yourself do nothing after that day. Even if you just do half the workout, do something every day. You won't regret it.

this whole weekend was a bust in terms of staying fit
heavy alcohol consumption, chinese take out, frozen pizza, pumpkin fest........... haha gotta get back to the treadmill tomorrow

I was exercising every day for about 3 weeks and watching my calorie intake before going to my September interviews...but then after I got back from my last one, I just kind of stopped exercising. Yesterday, I decided on a whim to go for a run like I used to. My stamina is not what it used to be, I was exhausted when got back, and today my legs are sore as hell. I guess I should have expected that since it's been at least a month since I've stopped exercising, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. I'm so mad at myself for stopping after the interviews! I have to start from ground zero all over again ! :mad:

I was exercising every day for about 3 weeks and watching my calorie intake before going to my September interviews...but then after I got back from my last one, I just kind of stopped exercising. Yesterday, I decided on a whim to go for a run like I used to. My stamina is not what it used to be, I was exhausted when got back, and today my legs are sore as hell. I guess I should have expected that since it's been at least a month since I've stopped exercising, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. I'm so mad at myself for stopping after the interviews! I have to start from ground zero all over again ! :mad:

I bet it'll come back quicker than you might expect. Just stay with it!