This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Need some help guys!

sGPA: 3.34
cGPA: 3.35
MCAT: 25

Have landed interviews at Temple and NY which I have scheduled for in a couple of weeks time. Problem is I just got my Orgo I mark back and I got a D because I was sick during the final exam (doesn't matter the mark is still a D).

Will they flat out reject my application because of this? Should I bother with the interview process because of this mark? Should I notify the schools about this mark or just keep it hidden for now (prefer not to do this as they will find out eventually..)?

Members don't see this ad.

Need some help guys!

sGPA: 3.34
cGPA: 3.35
MCAT: 25

Have landed interviews at Temple and NY which I have scheduled for in a couple of weeks time. Problem is I just got my Orgo I mark back and I got a D because I was sick during the final exam (doesn't matter the mark is still a D).

Will they flat out reject my application because of this? Should I bother with the interview process because of this mark? Should I notify the schools about this mark or just keep it hidden for now (prefer not to do this as they will find out eventually..)?

Honestly, if you have a chance to retake the course next term or before you are matriculated at a POD school, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Retake the class if you can and get at least a C and you should be fine. If you can't retake the course in time, however, then I'm afraid you'll be out of luck for this application cycle--which is truly unfortunate... But your MCAT scores will keep for 3 years (some schools accept them for 5 years!), and your GPA is solid.

So, retake if you can and don't worry about having to tell people. If you can't, then I'd cancel your interviews (OR you could go to have a look and see what the interview process is like! Might not be worth it to you money-wise, however) and wait until next cycle. Hope you have a chance to retake the course!!

If you're uncomfortable with NOT telling them at the interview then, if opportunity permits, you could mention that you received a poor grade in the class, but are retaking it and should be completed with it before you matriculate.

Last edited:
Problem is I just got my Orgo I mark back and I got a D because I was sick during the final exam (doesn't matter the mark is still a D).

I am in the same boat in that type of explanation for one of my semesters. I have a C (2.0) grade in my Biochem and Biophysics courses (both thanks to a bull bell curve class ranked grading system). The week before the final exam in the spring semester I was diagnosed with anemia. The awful doctor that saw me and took the blood work for me completely forgot to tell me that I had a hemoglobin level at 6.3 and a blood loss with over 30% of my blood missing. I was feeling woozy during the entire finals week. Called the doctor on Monday of finals and she read me off the wrong results, making me feel positive of my results. So in a two day period (Tues, Wed) I had all 400+ level Biochem, Physio, Biophysics, and Physio lab final exams in a matter of 2 days. Found out the Thursday I got back home for the summer that I needed an immediate 2 liter blood transfusion, so four times the amount of blood that the Red Cross you would give up for a donation. Probably should have sued that doctor and even my family physician thinks that I should have taken action since he believes I could easily have died for walking around for so long with so little amount of blood.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.64 cGPA/ 3.7 sGPA
18, 15, 17 MCAT in that order (i know, bad). Should I take it one more time this spring? The hassle of preparing for it makes me quiver.
I will be looking to shadow pod. I've done research on podiatry and i am very intrigued!
Research experience in Diabetes Prevention Program and biodensity (1.5 years), Shadowed a D.O. as well.
I was a student athlete and excelled in my sport as I was a 2x All-American, plus an academic All-American.
I'm a certified EMT
I've been awarded multiple awards (NCAA postgraduate scholarship, most outstanding athlete, etc.)
I volunteered in various events.
I am also Married with 2 children (through out my undergrad).
I have a B.S. and am working as a coach in my perspective sport currently.

What are my chances for Pod School?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You should really work on raising the MCAT...a lot. Your entire resume looks very good, with the lone exception of the MCAT.

Have you taken any of the AAMC practice tests? If so, how did you fair on those? I think you will need to retake the MCAT, and get above a 20 or so to have a shot. If you can raise it to the 25 mark, I foresee scholarship in your future- which with a family, would lessen the financial burden of postgraduate education. So moral of the story: it's in your best interest to retake...BUT ONLY WHEN YOU'RE READY and scoring consistently >23 on AAMC practice exams.

Thanks for the feedback!

So the high GPA won't balance the low MCAT score?

I found this link and a 15 MCAT seems to be the lowest. Am I grasping to false hope? lol
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/AACPM CIB-2013 Entering Class.pdf

Thanks again,

MCAT and GPA weigh equally. If you apply you will most likely get in somewhere, but will probably get turned down to others because of the low MCAT. If I were you I would retake it and aim for at least an 19-20. But, I am also not on the selection committee. The ONLY school that accepted an MCAT below 18 was Kent State.

Here are two links of past statistics:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/att...-statistics-2011-as-per-heybrother-xls.21884/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/att...-break-down-2012-as-per-pktgresch-xlsx.21886/

Thanks for the feedback!

So the high GPA won't balance the low MCAT score?

I found this link and a 15 MCAT seems to be the lowest. Am I grasping to false hope? lol
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/AACPM CIB-2013 Entering Class.pdf

Thanks again,
A high GPA should balance a 20 mcat for pod school but I'm not sure it'll work for a consistently low score like that. You look great on paper minus the mcat. Brush up on that for real and enjoy some scholarships. Judging by your resume, you're better than your awful mcat score.

@rosieisaposie and @heybrother...thanks for the feedback and your comments. Yes, I've checked out the schools and definitely have a preference but, I'm a realist; my stats aren't great. I hope to have the luxury of deciding between my top choices.

I got an interview invite from Temple! According to the letter, it's a full day process. I was wondering if there are any recent Temple interviewees who could offer any insight, advice or suggestions?

Hey guys long time lurker here.
Sgpa:3.1
Cgpa:3.33
Mcat- Practise exams put me around 25
Shadowed 2 Pods for 20+ hours each

I am currently scheduled for the Mcat in may due to me being out of the country, is that too late?

Thanks!

Hey guys long time lurker here.
Sgpa:3.1
Cgpa:3.33
Mcat- Practise exams put me around 25
Shadowed 2 Pods for 20+ hours each

I am currently scheduled for the Mcat in may due to me being out of the country, is that too late?

Thanks!

You will be cutting it close. You need to get in contact with schools and ask when their last interviews of the year will be. With some good planning you should be able to get in this year.

You will be cutting it close. You need to get in contact with schools and ask when their last interviews of the year will be. With some good planning you should be able to get in this year.
Thank you for the feedback!! I will get in touch with the schools i am interested in Right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
So I'm getting my MCAT scores on 25th this month and I'll know if I need to retake it or not. I'm submitting my application on March 1st and then my letters of recommendation as they come along (hopefully in the days following the 1st). So far, I'm settled on applying to Arizona, Western, Kent, Des Moines, and Scholl.

Any insight on the current timeline for AACPMAS processing and subsequent interview offers? How long is this taking you guys lately (those who have applied within the last month-ish)?

Hey guys!
So I'm getting my MCAT scores on 25th this month and I'll know if I need to retake it or not. I'm submitting my application on March 1st and then my letters of recommendation as they come along (hopefully in the days following the 1st). So far, I'm settled on applying to Arizona, Western, Kent, Des Moines, and Scholl.

Any insight on the current timeline for AACPMAS processing and subsequent interview offers? How long is this taking you guys lately (those who have applied within the last month-ish)?

I also took the MCAT on the 25th and I applied to four schools three days later: Western, CSPM, NYCPM and DMU. My application was completed and verified the same day (I sent in my transcripts a long time ago). I heard back from every school except NYCPM within three days thereafter. Both Western and CSPM have placed my application on hold until my MCAT score is released. I scheduled an interview with DMU for 2/28. Even though they were willing to interview before my score is released, I feel I would be better to prepared if I knew what my score was. Hope this helps.

I also took the MCAT on the 25th and I applied to four schools three days later: Western, CSPM, NYCPM and DMU. My application was completed and verified the same day (I sent in my transcripts a long time ago). I heard back from every school except NYCPM within three days thereafter. Both Western and CSPM have placed my application on hold until my MCAT score is released. I scheduled an interview with DMU for 2/28. Even though they were willing to interview before my score is released, I feel I would be better to prepared if I knew what my score was. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, my transcripts have already been received AACPMAS and everything, I'm just waiting to input my scores into my application and indicate whether or not I'm retaking it.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, my transcripts have already been received AACPMAS and everything, I'm just waiting to input my scores into my application and indicate whether or not I'm retaking it.

I wouldn't worry about inputting your scores, AACPMAS will automatically get your score and release to the schools. If your score turns out to be lower than you want, you can tell the schools you will be retaking when you interview there. I would apply as soon as you can if everything is ready.

2.95 cGPA
2.75 sGPA
24 MCAT
~1000 volunteer hours for ECs
200+ hours shadowing a DPM (ongoing with between 12 and 16 hours per week.)
100+ additional hours observing in the OR and clinic

I want to go to Scholls. Applying for fall 2015. Planning on retaking the MCAT. What would you say the minimum I would need to get in with my lower GPA's?

TIA

Last edited:
You might have a good shot at any of the larger class size schools with those stats.

Get the best MCAT score you can. Call up Scholl and ask them what their minimum MCAT will be for the next cycle.

Do/can people really get into pod schools with 2.7 GPAs and <20 mcats? I understand it's not as competitive as MD/DO, but I would want my pod to at least do a bit of studied during undergrad lol

Last edited:
Do/can people really get into pod schools with 2.7 GPAs and <20 mcats? I understand it's not as competitive as MD/DO, but I would want my pod to at least do a bit of studied during undergrad lol

There may be students that get in with lower stats but they need to understand that it is going to be VERY difficult. Many of those students can't make it past the first two years. There are about 675 first years every year and about 550 graduates. Schools with lower incoming stats tend to lose the most students.

Chances are the successful pod would have done just that. To reiterate what SLCpod said, pod school is still very difficult to actually get through.

There may be students that get in with lower stats but they need to understand that it is going to be VERY difficult. Many of those students can't make it past the first two years. There are about 675 first years every year and about 550 graduates. Schools with lower incoming stats tend to lose the most students.

Wow, that is a high attrition rate, almost 20%, why would schools do this? Doesn't it hurt them in the long run?

Granted, it isn't Caribbean attrition, which I think is somewhere around 50%

3.19 cGPA
2.92 sGPA
24 MCAT (5(!)PS, 10V, 9BS)
100+ hours of Podiatry shadowing
500+ Volunteer hours
Not sure if it matters, but I have been around Podiatry for myself since about 12 or 13, mentioned it heavily in my essays.

Applied to Scholl and Barry, both were waiting on my MCAT which came in today. Giving strong consideration to Temple, Kent, and DMU.

1. Schools you are applying to: Kent, Western, DMU, and Scholl
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.21 cGPA/3.25 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: 19 (7 physical, 7 verbal, 5 biological :( )
4. Podiatry Experience: 20 hours with 5 different podiatrists (including a 7 hour surgery shadow, which was amazing)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): None
6. Volunteering: 2+ years working with a Science Outreach program for kids, 9 months volunteering at the hospital (coffee cart to patients rooms)

I'm listing on my application that I'm planning on retaking the MCAT--I know it is pretty low... Should I register for the MCAT or continue to hope that someone will contact me. I'm turning in my application today (AACPMAS already has my transcripts and everything).

2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.36 cGPA/3.17 sGPA (as calculated by AACPMAS)
4. Podiatry Experience: 20 hours with 5 different podiatrists (including a 7 hour surgery shadow, which was amazing)
6. Volunteering: 2+ years working with a Science Outreach program for kids, 9 months volunteering at the hospital (coffee cart to patients rooms)

I'm listing on my application that I'm planning on retaking the MCAT--I know it is pretty low... Should I register for the MCAT or continue to hope that someone will contact me. I'm turning in my application today (AACPMAS already has my transcripts and everything).

Last edited:
2.95 cGPA
2.75 sGPA
24 MCAT
~1000 volunteer hours for ECs
200+ hours shadowing a DPM (ongoing with between 12 and 16 hours per week.)
100+ additional hours observing in the OR and clinic

I want to go to Scholls. Applying for fall 2015. Planning on retaking the MCAT. What would you say the minimum I would need to get in with my lower GPA's?

TIA

I was in the same boat as you as far as GPA goes. On the MCAT I got a 31 (11PS/11BS/9V). Practice tests were putting me at 35.

Just an example: At my Temple interview I got asked 1 question. "Why is your GPA so low yet your MCAT is so high?". I told them how I learned to study. Told them to look at the upward trend in my GPA (4.0 the last 2 semesters) and that's why my MCAT is so high. The interviewee proceeded to close my application and started to tell me how great Temple and the Philly area was. I tried to divert the interview back to my application and he told me "Oh don't worry, with your MCAT you have the choice of schools and scholarships." I ended up getting into every school I interviewed at with scholarships.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but my message to all the pre-pods here is study your ass off and doors will open. Don't shoot for the minimum. Shoot for what every other pre-med student is shooting for...30+. Podiatry school is very difficult. Easy to get into but very difficult to finish and EXTREMELY difficult to become "top in your class". I go to Scholl where we take Gen Anatomy, 2yrs of Essentials of Clinical Reasoning (Clin Med), and a few others side by side with the MD students. IMO Gen Anatomy and Clin Med were wayyy easier than Radiology and Biomechanics. Now is not the time to "shoot for the minimum" because if you keep this up in Podiatry School they will fail you. Podiatry school has a high attrition rate.

NOTE: AzAg...I don't mean to single you out. I know you are just trying to get your bearings when you asked about the minimum MCAT. I just want to make this post to get my message out. Goodluck in 2015.

@janV88 thank you for the insight. I've been studying my butt off for the MCAT. Taking it again May 8th. My goal is definitely above a 30. It's good to hear of people having success that were in my shoes at one point.

Again thanks a ton!

Reactions: 1 user
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.21 cGPA/3.25 sGPA

I would just wait a week or so. Schools should be contacting you within that time frame. Or even contact those schools and ask what they think about your chances are and how full their classes are. I talked to DMU last week and admissions told me the class is about half full right now.

I was in the same boat as you as far as GPA goes. On the MCAT I got a 31 (11PS/11BS/9V). Practice tests were putting me at 35.

Just an example: At my Temple interview I got asked 1 question. "Why is your GPA so low yet your MCAT is so high?". I told them how I learned to study. Told them to look at the upward trend in my GPA (4.0 the last 2 semesters) and that's why my MCAT is so high. The interviewee proceeded to close my application and started to tell me how great Temple and the Philly area was. I tried to divert the interview back to my application and he told me "Oh don't worry, with your MCAT you have the choice of schools and scholarships." I ended up getting into every school I interviewed at with scholarships.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but my message to all the pre-pods here is study your ass off and doors will open. Don't shoot for the minimum. Shoot for what every other pre-med student is shooting for...30+. Podiatry school is very difficult. Easy to get into but very difficult to finish and EXTREMELY difficult to become "top in your class". I go to Scholl where we take Gen Anatomy, 2yrs of Essentials of Clinical Reasoning (Clin Med), and a few others side by side with the MD students. IMO Gen Anatomy and Clin Med were wayyy easier than Radiology and Biomechanics. Now is not the time to "shoot for the minimum" because if you keep this up in Podiatry School they will fail you. Podiatry school has a high attrition rate.

NOTE: AzAg...I don't mean to single you out. I know you are just trying to get your bearings when you asked about the minimum MCAT. I just want to make this post to get my message out. Goodluck in 2015.

I wish I would have seen this before I started prepping for my MCAT. I have a higher than average GPA and the entire time I'm thinking, "all I need is the minimum!" and needless to say, I have definitely shot myself in the foot. I have a high GPA and now a low MCAT. I can't even begin to tell you how ashamed I am of myself for not trying harder sooner. Now it's all in the hands of adcom. sigh.

Hello!
I am a recent college graduate looking to pursue a career in podiatry (obviously).
I was initially planning on pursuing a career in medicine (MD/DO). However, after shadowing a local podiatrist I found his work very engaging and realized there are many more health professions left unexplored. Therefore, instead of rushing into a life-long decision *YOLO* I have decided to take a few years off (gap years) to thoroughly explore various health professions before I fully commit to a decision. In the meantime, I am working for a not for profit organization and am continuing my undergraduate research. I also want to apologize in advance if I write anything that may come across ignorant, irrelevant, or offensive. I am still learning a lot about podiatry!
That being said, please let me know, WAMC? Thanks in advance :)

1. Schools you are applying to: Potentially all of them. I'm still learning about the schools and their programs.
2. cGPA:3.78/ sGPA:3.6
3. MCAT: VS:8/BS:12/PS:11 = 31
4. Podiatry experience: minimal. ~50 hours of shadowing.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: >150 hours of volunteering at a local hospital (escorting patients). Scribed for an MD (>320 hours).
6. Volunteering: >150 hours of volunteering at a local hospital (escorting patients).
Community health research for 4 years during my undergrad (health fairs, seminars, outreach, etc.). Summer Internship in a foreign country as a translator in a major hospital.

Misc. information that may or may not be helpful. Some of the details are intentionally vague for my privacy. I apologize for the lack of detail.
- University: I attended a top 25 university as reported by the US&W News Report (for whatever that's worth...)
- Major: Humanities/Non-science.
- Notable Extra Curricular:
1. Community Health Research: Published 3x (2nd author, 3rd author, 3rd author) - span of 4 years.
2. Fraternity: Vice President, Secretary, Academic Chair, Historian - span of 4 years.
3. Undergraduate Peer Reviewed Journal: Editor in Chief, Editing Director - span of 2 years.
4. Residential Advisor (1 yr.)

I was wondering if someone could be so kind to also answer a few questions for me as well. I completely understand if you choose to ignore them or refer me to the proper thread.

1. Medical schools look favorably (or at least not unfavorably) to non-science majors. Is that the same for podiatry schools? I did not major in a science discipline. However, I do have a passion for science and excelled in my pre-requisite courses. I just so happen to be passionate about another field, and thus took advantage of my undergrad to explore it knowing full well that my future would be devoted to health.
2. Podiatry (at least personally) is a very appealing field, why are the average MCAT/GPA so much lower than medical school? I feel it should be much more competitive, especially with fewer schools.
3. Is there in-state preference for podiatry schools? If so, how significant is it?
4. There is less than a dozen podiatry schools so are there any legitimate rankings? I'm inclined to decide based on the program, mission statement, location, etc.
5. On average how many schools do people apply to?
6. Do schools look unfavorably at non-traditional applicants? (i.e., I will be 25 years old when I apply).

Thanks everyone in advance!

Last edited:
Hello!
I am a recent college graduate looking to pursue a career in podiatry (obviously).
I was initially planning on pursuing a career in medicine (MD/DO). However, after shadowing a local podiatrist I found his work very engaging and realized there are many more health professions left unexplored. Therefore, instead of rushing into a life-long decision *YOLO* I have decided to take a few years off (gap years) to thoroughly explore various health professions before I fully commit to a decision. In the meantime, I am working for a not for profit organization and am continuing my undergraduate research. I also want to apologize in advance if I write anything that may come across ignorant, irrelevant, or offensive. I am still learning a lot about podiatry!

1. Schools you are applying to: Potentially all of them. I'm still learning about the schools and their programs.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: >150 hours of volunteering at a local hospital (escorting patients). Scribed for an MD (>320 hours).
6. Volunteering: >150 hours of volunteering at a local hospital (escorting patients).
Community health research for 4 years during my undergrad (health fairs, seminars, outreach, etc.). Summer Internship in a foreign country as a translator in a major hospital.

Misc. information that may or may not be helpful. Some of the details are intentionally vague for my privacy. I apologize for the lack of detail.
- University: I attended a top 25 university as reported by the US&W News Report (for whatever that's worth...)
1. Community Health Research: Published 3x (2nd author, 3rd author, 3rd author) - span of 4 years.
2. Fraternity: Vice President, Secretary, Academic Chair, Historian - span of 4 years.
3. Undergraduate Peer Reviewed Journal: Editor in Chief, Editing Director - span of 2 years.

I was wondering if someone could be so kind to also answer a few questions for me as well. I completely understand if you choose to ignore them or refer me to the proper thread.

1. Medical schools look favorably (or at least not unfavorably) to non-science majors. Is that the same for podiatry schools? I did not major in a science discipline. However, I do have a passion for science and excelled in my pre-requisite courses. I just so happen to be passionate about another field, and thus took advantage of my undergrad to explore it knowing full well that my future would be devoted to health.
2. Podiatry (at least personally) is a very appealing field, why are the average MCAT/GPA so much lower than medical school? I feel it should be much more competitive, especially with fewer schools.
3. Is there in-state preference for podiatry schools? If so, how significant is it?
4. There is less than a dozen podiatry schools so are there any legitimate rankings? I'm inclined to decide based on the program, mission statement, location, etc.
6. Do schools look unfavorably at non-traditional applicants? (i.e., I will be 25 years old when I apply).

Well, I'll give my shot at answering these. I've been around podiatry for a few years now through family practice (though, I am just starting my first year) and can provide some insight.

1. As with any medical field they will always look favorably towards science degrees, but that doesn't mean you can't get in without one. As long as you have the prereqs done, and done well, you can get in. During your interview they will most likely ask you why you chose a non-science major to pursue a career in medicine and at that point you can just explain to them you wanted to explore all your options. As I've come to find out most admission committees are very understanding.

2. This question is one that probably will continue to linger for a while. The problem with podiatry is that it isn't as old as osteopathic and allopathic schools. Obviously, when podiatry was first starting out they weren't going to get the cream of the crop who were applying to get into MD/DO and they had to accept substandard GPAs. Unfortunately, this practice has continued simply because not enough people know about the rewarding career of podiatry. But, you don't need to worry that only low GPAs/MCATS are getting into podiatry school because that's simply not true. I got into both podiatry and osteopathic schools as I am sure a lot of other students did as well. There are some very bright and talented minds going into podiatry and I can't see the low GPA trend lasting much longer, it's just a matter of AACPM getting the word out there. Also, many of the students with the low GPAs realize their mistakes from undergraduate and bring a whole new attitude to podiatry school and are very successful. But, I understand where this question is coming from.

3. I'd say slightly, if any. I got into all 4 podiatry schools I applied to and none were instate.

4. If you ask us to rank the schools we will all most likely have different answers. Before I interviewed I was told DMU, Midwestern, and Scholl were the top three. After researching online I ended up applying to DMU, Scholl, Kent, Barry, and Western. I never took the interview to Barry, and to me personally, I found DMU and Scholl my top two. Kent and Western were amazing schools, but I felt more at home at Scholl and DMU. I ended up choosing Scholl because of the location. But, every school will give you the education you desire, it's just up to you to apply that education. Don't base your decision off of what others tell you; choose your school after you research them and interview at them, then choose which one you feel will give you the greatest education while making you feel at home.

5. I applied to 5, got interviews to all, but only interviewed at 4. I'd say that's pretty average. I know people who applied to less and I know people who applied to them all. You can definitely save money by researching them online first and only applying to the ones that interest you though. Your statistics are great and I would say you shouldn't have trouble getting in anywhere.

6. Nope! You'll be fine and feel very welcomed.

Hopefully, that helps a bit. I hope someone else also takes the time to answer your questions as well because I think you will find we all answer them, for the most part, slightly different.

@ jch555 and rosieisaposie: It is likely you will get into a school with a larger class size.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I agree with what Claveaut responded. He speaks words of wisdom.

@Claveaut, @SLCpod: thank you for your answers and advice!

@Claveaut: After being accepted to both osteopathic and podiatry schools, what made you decide on podiatry? Are you happy with your decision? How do you like private practice?

What would you guys say my chances of getting into Temple are now that I have an interview? Do they have a tough interview?

I was surprised to get an interview so quick considering my MCAT only got released yesterday. They don't even have any of my letters of rec yet.

What would you guys say my chances of getting into Temple are now that I have an interview? Do they have a tough interview?

I was surprised to get an interview so quick considering my MCAT only got released yesterday. They don't even have any of my letters of rec yet.
that's so odd...i am pretty sure it takes 24-48 hrs. for AACPMAS to process the scores and send them to the scores. Regardless that's awesome best of luck. I did not interview at Temple so I can't comment on their interview process.

Is there a specific day of the week that AACPMAS sends out verified applications?

Hi everyone!

Gpa : 3.4

Mcat: 7,6,8 (21)

Graduated from ucla with a bachelor in neuroscience.

Volunteered in 2 neuro research labs at ucla.

Volunteered in Ghana, and Honduras 3 times.

Volunteered at the ucla hospital for about 1 year.

Currently working as an assistant to a spine surgeon, shadowing him, watching surgeries, talking to patients.
I work in a clinic and there's a DPM so I'm sure I can shadow him as well.

What are my chances to get in?

Planning on starting my app and send it this June!

Thanks everybody for the feedbacks!!

*volunteered in Ghana and Honduras and was working closely with patients (taking vitals) and doctors as well

Hi everyone!

Gpa : 3.4

Mcat: 7,6,8 (21)

Graduated from ucla with a bachelor in neuroscience.

Volunteered in 2 neuro research labs at ucla.

Volunteered in Ghana, and Honduras 3 times.

Volunteered at the ucla hospital for about 1 year.

Currently working as an assistant to a spine surgeon, shadowing him, watching surgeries, talking to patients.
I work in a clinic and there's a DPM so I'm sure I can shadow him as well.

What are my chances to get in?

Planning on starting my app and send it this June!

Thanks everybody for the feedbacks!!

The PRIORITY deadline is April 1st (the overall deadline is June 30th), so I would try to get it in by late March if you can. Other than that, your stats look pretty decent and your experience is great. Just make sure you have your LORs in order and you should be fine.

Hi,

I've been lurking and have finally decided to ask about my own stats. I officially submitted my application last week and three days later I received an interview invite to Temple. However, I haven't heard back from any other schools yet. I have a 3.2 cgpa, 2.91 sgpa, 19 mcat. I have 45 hours shadowing with three podiatrists (one very well known and respected podiatrist that also wrote me a LOR). In addition, both my father and grandfather are podiatrists. I also have 200 PT hours and 50 hours of community service. During my undergrad, I was VP of a club, did my own undergraduate research as a first author (was published in a journal), received a grant for my research and presented at numerous conferences, was the TA for exercise physiology and an upper level technical writing course, and had a great relationship with several professors. I have LORs from 2 DPMs and from my anatomy, exercise physiology, biology, and sports psychologist professors. What do you think my chances are for getting in? I know my MCAT score is horrendous. And my GPA isn't stellar. I'm very nervous that this will be the theme in my interview. Is it wrong for me to be honest about my score and decline in grades? It was a rough year with a lot of huge transitions that impacted my grades and score. I just don't want to come across as full of excuses, but I also feel they will want an explanation. I had decided my senior year to pursue podiatry and as a result stayed an extra year to take all of the science classes. Combined with some substantial changes to my living situation and schedule, it was a difficult year that reflects very poorly on me. I'm hopeful with one interview so far, but know it is far from an acceptance. Thank you in advance for your time and honest replies.

I just wanted to update on my application status. I found out later that I calculated my science GPA wrong and that I really had a 3.0. I interviewed at Temple and was told I was an alternate. I also interviewed at Barry (haven't heard back yet) and shortly after, I interviewed at Scholl. My fiancé and I fell in love with the Chicago area and I fell in love with Scholl. It was just perfect for us and I recently received notification that I was accepted! I do think my lower stats held me back, but I was very honest about them, and in particular about my low MCAT score, and it worked out well for me.

I just wanted to update on my application status. I found out later that I calculated my science GPA wrong and that I really had a 3.0. I interviewed at Temple and was told I was an alternate. I also interviewed at Barry (haven't heard back yet) and shortly after, I interviewed at Scholl. My fiancé and I fell in love with the Chicago area and I fell in love with Scholl. It was just perfect for us and I recently received notification that I was accepted! I do think my lower stats held me back, but I was very honest about them, and in particular about my low MCAT score, and it worked out well for me.

Congrats on your acceptance to your top school!

Congrats on getting in! I'm currently trying to get into Kent (3.4 cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 19MCAT)--my application is being sent on Wednesday and I have very strong LORs. I was just wondering, did they talk much about any bad grades you received in specific classes? I only ask because I received a D in one of my science courses--a number of factors including a new living situation and work-school balance are namely responsible for my poor performance--and I was just wondering if they grill you about those things? I understand why I did so poorly in the class and I've shown great improvement over the last year (I was put on the Honor Roll last term!), so I'm hoping they notice my increased efforts and that it helps to make up for my previous downfalls...

Congrats and welcome! See you at Scholl this fall!

Hi all!
Up until recently (a couple months ago) I was a pre-pharmacy student, gearing up to take the PCAT this summer. While I was studying I realized I liked pharmacy, but wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I started looking into other health careers, got a job shadow with a podiatrist, and now I'm all in on podiatry :) I've done a fair amount of research on podiatry and schools and such but I'm still relatively new so bear with me if I ask any uninformed or misguided questions.

I was curious what my chances of admission are, and if there's anything you'd suggest I work on to strengthen my app. I should add, I'm a second semester sophomore working towards a bio/biochem double major, and my GPA's and MCAT score are conjectures based on my current study habits and grades (3.84 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 the past two semesters). The shadowing and volunteer hours are also what I anticipate by the time I apply for pod school. I understand that it's hard to truly tell if I'll get in based on guesses instead of concrete info, but the info I'm giving is how I see myself looking on my future app, and I'd like to know if my future self has a shot at getting in or even scholarships, and what I can do in the here-and-now to strengthen my future app.

1. Schools Applying To: DMU, Scholl (possibly others?)
2. cGPA:3.9/sGPA:3.7
3. MCAT: 26-30
4. Podiatry Experience: ~30 hours shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Job shadowed dentist, primary care physician, and 3 different pharmacists. Worked as a pharmacy technician in a hospital for 3 yrs. (occasional status)
6. Volunteering: Volunteered in a hospital doing various tasks (~150 hrs.), volunteer tutor for middle school children (~50 hrs.), raised money for various health related charities, and participated in runs/walks for the charities.
7. Other Notable Activities: Conducted undergrad research with my botany professor involving the effectiveness of certain pesticides and their effect on crops, also co-founder and president of my campus's Running Club.

So my questions would be...
1. Is my future app competitive for most of the pod schools?
2. Does my app look like a candidate for scholarships?
3. (Probably my biggest question) What would you suggest I work on or add to strengthen the app I have planned?

Thank you all in advance!

For those who just took the MCAT in January and scores released last week, is anyone having trouble with their scores being seen by schools? Both DMU and NYCPM say they have not received my score!! It was suppose to be released by AACPMAS within 24 hours of them receiving it. So frustrating!

Update: I called AACPMAS and they said everything is as it is shown on the website. So if I can see my MCAT score so should the school. So I chatted with an admissions representative from DMU and the person was extremely understanding and helpful. It sounds like the schools do a download from AACPMAS once a week or so. Another words, if something changed on the application (MCAT score released), they wouldn't know until they download the latest. The DMU rep downloaded the latest updates from AACPMAS and my score was there and will be forwarded to adcom tomorrow. I'd say that is a win, considering all NYCPM did was told me to wait another week. Go DMU and their speedy admissions reps!
NYCPM contacted me on Monday saying they hadn't received them yet and that I needed to release them. I actually did release them last week but it wasn't until monday night that it updated on my app showing the score. I am assuming they will see them now

1. Schools you are applying to: DMU, Scholl, CSPM, NYCPM, Western
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.67/3.63
3. MCAT Score: 20 (7/4/9)
4. Podiatry Experience: ~40 hours of shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked as an CNA
6. Volunteering: ~100 community work

My top choice is DMU. Do you guys think a 4 in the verbal section will hinder me? If I retake the MCAT in late March, will I still have a chance for this cycle?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all!
Up until recently (a couple months ago) I was a pre-pharmacy student, gearing up to take the PCAT this summer. While I was studying I realized I liked pharmacy, but wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I started looking into other health careers, got a job shadow with a podiatrist, and now I'm all in on podiatry :) I've done a fair amount of research on podiatry and schools and such but I'm still relatively new so bear with me if I ask any uninformed or misguided questions.

I was curious what my chances of admission are, and if there's anything you'd suggest I work on to strengthen my app. I should add, I'm a second semester sophomore working towards a bio/biochem double major, and my GPA's and MCAT score are conjectures based on my current study habits and grades (3.84 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 the past two semesters). The shadowing and volunteer hours are also what I anticipate by the time I apply for pod school. I understand that it's hard to truly tell if I'll get in based on guesses instead of concrete info, but the info I'm giving is how I see myself looking on my future app, and I'd like to know if my future self has a shot at getting in or even scholarships, and what I can do in the here-and-now to strengthen my future app.

1. Schools Applying To: DMU, Scholl (possibly others?)
2. cGPA:3.9/sGPA:3.7
3. MCAT: 26-30
4. Podiatry Experience: ~30 hours shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Job shadowed dentist, primary care physician, and 3 different pharmacists. Worked as a pharmacy technician in a hospital for 3 yrs. (occasional status)
6. Volunteering: Volunteered in a hospital doing various tasks (~150 hrs.), volunteer tutor for middle school children (~50 hrs.), raised money for various health related charities, and participated in runs/walks for the charities.
7. Other Notable Activities: Conducted undergrad research with my botany professor involving the effectiveness of certain pesticides and their effect on crops, also co-founder and president of my campus's Running Club.

So my questions would be...
1. Is my future app competitive for most of the pod schools?
2. Does my app look like a candidate for scholarships?
3. (Probably my biggest question) What would you suggest I work on or add to strengthen the app I have planned?

Thank you all in advance!

If you do any kind of research/reading on SDN forums, you should know that 1) Yes, you will be a competitive applicant IF you maintain that GPA and score in the MCAT range you quoted. 2) Yes, you are also a good candidate for available scholarships IF you maintain that GPA and score in the MCAT range you quoted. And finally, 3) Keep doing what you are doing. Your app looks solid IF everything remains the same. I would suggest start building a good relationship with your potential LOR writers now. Also, it wouldn't hurt to shadow different types of podiatrists ie, multi-specialty vs private practice. Good Luck.