This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think there is an automatic cutoff at 2.9 or were there other reasons you didn't get in?

The other student in this thread, rushrhees, had a marginally higher GPA and a little better MCAT and got a scholarship to Temple while you got denied immediately?

There is no exact science to admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright I had a rough first year and have done my best to improve my stats so I can get in to Podiatry School.

My stats:

1st year: 1.0079 GPA--12 of 28 credits completed.--12 credits total------2.025 after retakes
2nd year: 4.00 GPA(5 retakes not included)--32 of 32 credits completed--44 credits total
3rd year: 3.79 GPA--33 of 33 credits completed--77 Credits total
4th year: 3.85 GPA--32 of 32 credits completed--109 credits total
This year: Unknown GPA--14 credits attempted--123 credits total proj.
Current cGPA:3.385
Current sGPA:3.124
Due to Graduate with a B.S. in Chemistry in January.

MCAT-28(PS:8 VS:9 BS:11)

My EC's are a bit on the light side:
1000+ paid hours working in a DPM's office
120+ hours Shadowing a Podiatrist
Pre-Health club Sophomore-present

Overall, do I look competitive? That first year's dragging me down a bit.

Any schools I shouldn't bother applying at?

P.S. won't be applying till next fall.

Last edited:
you are golden at all the schools. you should get some decent scholarships with that MCAT.

that 1.0 GPA first year is badass. did you quit meth or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar first year, but for me it was just immaturity. I'd guess it the same with him.

I don't know though.

I'd prefer not to say, but it wasn't immaturity.

Quick edits there NC1994/ThePodMan!

First you need to make sure it's what you really want to do, seeing as a couple of days ago you were active in MD/DO threads asking about grade replacement/chances. It's not a decision to make hastily. That being said, you should get in somewhere unless they really question that first year. Hope you've got a good story!

CGPA:3.87
SGPA:3.73
MCAT: Not taken: Taking semester off to study
EC's:
1,200 hours working in ER
300 Hours volunteering nursing home
250 Hours clinical research
other random school orgs
Need to take physics II prior to applying, all other pre reqs satisfied
Also need to shadow more Podatrists
Applying to Rosalind Franklin, Des Moines, New York

CGPA:3.87
SGPA:3.73
MCAT: Not taken: Taking semester off to study
EC's:
1,200 hours working in ER
300 Hours volunteering nursing home
250 Hours clinical research
other random school orgs
Need to take physics II prior to applying, all other pre reqs satisfied
Also need to shadow more Podatrists
Applying to Rosalind Franklin, Des Moines, New York

Take the MCAT and finish up that Physics II ASAP. You're good to go at all 9 schools.

Hi guys. Thank you in advance for your comments.
After reading about all the acceptances and some slight rejection, I am concerned about my pod application. I am planning to submit my application in a couple of days for all 9 schools. My priority is Western and I haven't heard a lot from people and wonder what are my chances.

Schools you are applying to: All 9 but priority is Western.
2. cGPA/sGPA: ~3.1 / ~2.8
3. MCAT Score:18 (6 each)
I am considering and marking in my app that I am planning to retake it (unless I get accepted with my current score).
4. Podiatry Experience: Shadowed 3 different podiatrists with one on the Western Campus (over 60 hours total)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Over 300 clinical volunteering at a hospital and work under a GI doctor at the front desk.
6. Volunteering: I have a few minor community service here and there.

Thank you again for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Hi guys. Thank you in advance for your comments.
After reading about all the acceptances and some slight rejection, I am concerned about my pod application. I am planning to submit my application in a couple of days for all 9 schools. My priority is Western and I haven't heard a lot from people and wonder what are my chances.
1. Schools you are applying to: All 9 but priority is Western.
2. cGPA/sGPA: ~3.1 / ~2.8
3. MCAT Score:18 (6 each)
I am considering and marking in my app that I am planning to retake it (unless I get accepted with my current score).
4. Podiatry Experience: Shadowed 3 different podiatrists with one on the Western Campus (over 60 hours total)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Over 300 clinical volunteering at a hospital and work under a GI doctor at the front desk.
6. Volunteering: I have a few minor community service here and there.

Thank you again for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Your chances aren't all that great for Western. However, you may get an invite from one of the schools with a larger class size. Should you mark that you are taking the MCAT again? It may hurt you in that some of the schools will put your app on hold until you get your second score. It could be bad considering that you may not do too well on your retake.

If I were in your shoes I would be very happy to receive an invite from any of the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances aren't all that great for Western. However, you may get an invite from one of the schools with a larger class size. Should you mark that you are taking the MCAT again? It may hurt you in that some of the schools will put your app on hold until you get your second score. It could be bad considering that you may not do too well on your retake.

If I were in your shoes I would be very happy to receive an invite from any of the schools.
Thanks for the honest reply. Now I am scarred that I won't get into any school during this cycle. Do you think that I had a better chance if I applied in August instead of November? I am just trying to see what I can do to improve.

Thanks for the honest reply. Now I am scarred that I won't get into any school during this cycle. Do you think that I had a better chance if I applied in August instead of November? I am just trying to see what I can do to improve.

Since Western is your number one choice, I would sign up for the January MCAT (if it is still open) and try to shoot for at least a 24+ on the MCAT in order to compensate for your below average GPA. Regardless, good luck with your application!

You can wait if you want but a whole year is A LOT of time. That would be starting in almost two years from now. The reality is that with your low GPA you may not get into any school with a small class size. You won't have a better chance waiting because the classes aren't close to being full right now. Next August you will be in the same place.

Hi,

I've been lurking and have finally decided to ask about my own stats. I officially submitted my application last week and three days later I received an interview invite to Temple. However, I haven't heard back from any other schools yet. I have a 3.2 cgpa, 2.91 sgpa, 19 mcat. I have 45 hours shadowing with three podiatrists (one very well known and respected podiatrist that also wrote me a LOR). In addition, both my father and grandfather are podiatrists. I also have 200 PT hours and 50 hours of community service. During my undergrad, I was VP of a club, did my own undergraduate research as a first author (was published in a journal), received a grant for my research and presented at numerous conferences, was the TA for exercise physiology and an upper level technical writing course, and had a great relationship with several professors. I have LORs from 2 DPMs and from my anatomy, exercise physiology, biology, and sports psychologist professors. What do you think my chances are for getting in? I know my MCAT score is horrendous. And my GPA isn't stellar. I'm very nervous that this will be the theme in my interview. Is it wrong for me to be honest about my score and decline in grades? It was a rough year with a lot of huge transitions that impacted my grades and score. I just don't want to come across as full of excuses, but I also feel they will want an explanation. I had decided my senior year to pursue podiatry and as a result stayed an extra year to take all of the science classes. Combined with some substantial changes to my living situation and schedule, it was a difficult year that reflects very poorly on me. I'm hopeful with one interview so far, but know it is far from an acceptance. Thank you in advance for your time and honest replies.

You have a lot of feathers in your cap - some interesting and some meaningless. Why don't you buckle down for a month, study hard for the MCAT, pull a score in the mid-20s and end the fretting. You are on the wrong side of the curve for both your GPA and your MCAT. Those are the cornerstones of an acceptance. You need to right the boat. The average numbers are out there for all the schools. You can't change your GPA. You can change your MCAT. 2 months of studying could turn you from being below average to being right in the middle.

Reactions: 1 users
When you interview at Temple, I would say exactly what you said here. "Combined with some substantial changes to my living situation and schedule, it was a difficult year that reflects very poorly on me." I think they will see some maturity in you being able to understand that it is on your shoulders. Other than that, just do as others have said and focus on the MCAT and do well on it. If your MCAT scores can go up, you will be fine. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the quick replies! Retaking the MCAT right now would only help me for the next application cycle since I am already recieving November interviews? If I don't get in this year, I will most definitely be retaking it and putting in as many shadowing hours as possible. If retaking the MCAT in January will help this application cycle, I would do it as well. Thanks again

Do you want to go to Temple / live in Philadelphia? There's no reason to go to any pod school other than the one you actually want to attend. People interview and get in all the way up to school starting. If you are shadowing with the hopes of increasing the strength of your application - I think your time could be better spent.

Right now Temple is one of my top choices because it will leave my fiance with more options for school and is near family. However, I'm more concerned because an interview does not mean acceptance into a program. I will go where I get accepted and I would be thrilled with Temple, but I'm more nervous that my shortcomings will be the only theme in the interview and will ruin my chances. If I get rejected this application cycle, am I able to apply for a second time in the same cycle with improved MCAT scores? Or will I need to wait for the next cycle?

Right now Temple is one of my top choices because it will leave my fiance with more options for school and is near family. However, I'm more concerned because an interview does not mean acceptance into a program. I will go where I get accepted and I would be thrilled with Temple, but I'm more nervous that my shortcomings will be the only theme in the interview and will ruin my chances. If I get rejected this application cycle, am I able to apply for a second time in the same cycle with improved MCAT scores? Or will I need to wait for the next cycle?

You have already been invited for and interview. That means they are willing to accept you with your current scores. Calm down and take a few deep breathes. If you make this a HUGE issue then it will be just that in the interview. They aren't going to grill you with questions about every class you have ever taken. Think big picture questions.

Don't cut yourself short before you have even interviewed. You can do this and they obviously they think you can too because they have invited you for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I will try to relax a bit. My interview is next week, so I will definitely update the forum as soon as I hear back. Thank you guys for all of your time and great advice! For now, I'll focus my energy on preparing for the interview and hopefully I'll have some good news! If I get an acceptance, I don't think I will interview with the other schools as this is really my top choice right now. Thanks again!

I know I'm currently on the very low end, but applied to Barry, Scholl, NYCPM, Temple, and Kent with:

cGPA: 2.79, sGPA: 2.67, MCAT: 22N

So far, I got rejected by all but Scholl, they just asked for my Letters of Recommendation, which are strong

I have many hours of (1000+) community service volunteer hours, as well (500+) health care volunteer hours. Also (2000+) undergraduate research hours that resulted in two published papers in peer-reviewed journals in organic chemistry. Also shadowed physicians and a podiatrist, and REALLY loved podiatry, she was the only one that seemed very happy with their career, and very supportive of my desire to join the profession. I also worked full-time while in college, while maintaining a full-time college course load (not such a smart move, but bills had to be paid somehow). I really wished there was grade replacement, my GPAs would be A LOT higher due to my shaky first 2 years in college when I was 18-19 (I had to basically restart everything in my 20s, but those first 2 years really dragged my GPA down, am a non-trad student)

Aside from the obvious of taking more classes to boost my GPA, is there any glimmer of hope to getting an interview at Scholl since they were the only ones that requested my letters of recommendation, and whom I haven't received that dreaded letter yet? Should I even bother applying to any of the other 4 schools? Thanks in advance.

Don't bother applying to DMU/AZPOD. I won't speak for California, but when you are low enough to get auto-rejects from all the large schools your chances anywhere are slim. Scholl is unique in that that they don't grant interviews without your entire file being complete. Interpret that as you will.

I know I'm currently on the very low end, but applied to Barry, Scholl, NYCPM, Temple, and Kent with:

So far, I got rejected by all but Scholl, they just asked for my Letters of Recommendation, which are strong
Stay away from Western as well, give CSPM a try, worth a shot. Other than that I would say your better bet might be up your MCAT. I was a 2.9 GPA but a 31mcat, got in everywhere except AZPOD and DMU.

If one gets As and Bs on a post baccs of (16-19) credit hours of hard sciences like Orgo, Phys, and Biochem remedy a low undergraduate gpa. Assuming one gets above a 22 on the MCAT.

Honestly, you need to get one of those 3 numbers (I would suggest MCAT) higher than it is. And when I say higher, we're talking like 27 or 28 at least in order to show that you've learned the information you were supposed to in those first two years that were shaky. Right now, you're probably getting booted out of the pile by a computer or a person who looks only at those numbers and is given a cutoff and kicks it out automatically if the number isn't high enough. Your EC's look good and I'm sure those LOR's are strong but those things only matter if the application gets read. I really hope Scholl works out and you don't need to re-apply next year but if I had the money to bet I would put it on you not getting in to be brutally honest.

If I were you, I'd save my money, schedule an MCAT in April or May 2014, take a Kaplan course or whatever other company you'd like to prep for it, and then go knock it out of the park and come back next year with a much higher score that will cause an actual human to read about all the other experiences you've had and maybe get an interview from one of the larger schools. I'm sorry if this is a more blunt response than you'd like, but you really don't want to be spending more time and money on applications this year when your best chances are already exhausted. Good luck and ace that MCAT!

I might not consider what KSU had suggested. I have had 3 interviews with somewhat similar numbers. The 22 is enough to get you in several interviews. My advice would be just kill the interview and the chances you get. It's early in the cycle and a lot more is possible.

Biochem remedy a low undergraduate gpa. Assuming one gets above a 22 on the MCAT.[/quote]

That sGPA might be getting you autorejected as under 2.75. You would need to get high 20's to outweigh that GPA. Just crush the scholl interview if you get one. The interview that is not that hard so you can pull if it off. Just ask your self though what is different now that you will be able to handle a program that is 2-3x as intense as undergrad versus when you were pulling ~2.7 in undergrad. At Temple there are probably 5 or 6 that have failed just about every test so far (below 70% is a fail) and I am guessing will not be returning. Just getting is does not mean you will be set from here out.
If one gets As and Bs on a post baccs of (16-19) credit hours of hard sciences like Orgo, Phys, and Biochem remedy a low undergraduate gpa. Assuming one gets above a 22 on the MCAT.
It will help a decent deal come interview to show that you have improved, but some schools might autoreject you if you are under 2.75 even with the good post bac work. Even then you want to get high twenties just to balance your stats more and to further show you have improved.

I might not consider what KSU had suggested. I have had 3 interviews with somewhat similar numbers. The 22 is enough to get you in several interviews. My advice would be just kill the interview and the chances you get. It's early in the cycle and a lot more is possible.
What were your numbers, if you don't mind my asking?

What were your numbers, if you don't mind my asking?

3.01 cgpa 2.71 sgpa and 24 MCAT. A little higher but I know my science GPA kept me out of several interviews; so I was in somewhat the same circumstance. Didn't get an interview the first go around, but improved my GPA over the last 2 semesters and just waiting on letters/e-mails now. You do have a point, but I've seen worse numbers get interviews because the MCAT is on par at 22.

3.01 cgpa 2.71 sgpa and 24 MCAT. A little higher but I know my science GPA kept me out of several interviews; so I was in somewhat the same circumstance. Didn't get an interview the first go around, but improved my GPA over the last 2 semesters and just waiting on letters/e-mails now. You do have a point, but I've seen worse numbers get interviews because the MCAT is on par at 22.
Always worth a shot, again the sub 2.75 might have the computer kick you out before someone from the admissions office. Call the admissions office too and give them your rundown.

If that's the case, how do you explain Scholl, Barry, and Kent accepting gpas under 2.5. I think 1 of them had a student with a 2.06 science gpa.

cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.43, 13/11/11 = 35 MCAT
Weak ECs

Would you say I'm pretty much guaranteed a spot anywhere I apply?

I'm applying to DO next June. I'm applying once and only once. If I don't get in anywhere, I'll apply to podiatry schools in the winter. It's not necessarily a backup plan, as I was dead-set on podiatry until my MCAT came back. I've shadowed a podiatrist before as well.

Weak ECs

I'm applying to DO next June. I'm applying once and only once. If I don't get in anywhere, I'll apply to podiatry schools in the winter. It's not necessarily a backup plan, as I was dead-set on podiatry until my MCAT came back. I've shadowed a podiatrist before as well.

You will get into a school of your choosing.

Weak ECs

35 MCAT and that GPA would get you some pretty hefty scholarships from Scholl and Kent as in half tuition. Most of the other schools will also kick you a good scholarship. Just do not blow the interview (BTW pod school interviews are easy, but some people manage to blow them.)

3.4 Science GPA
3.5 Overall

20MCAT

Two years volunteering as an ALS EMS provider

Over 400 hours shadowing MD's, DO's and DPM's

Over 2000 hours volunteering

Three years of Undergraduate Research with three Publications, 10 abstracts and 8 poster presentations.

Working as an Anatomy and Physiology lab instructor at a private university.

What are my chances for this admission cycle?

I would say good. Any chance you could up that MCAT a bit to get some scholarhips. Either way you are good

Weak ECs

I don't know about podiatry, but you're good for pretty much any DO school and some MD's as well, if that's what you might want to do!

Hey all - Looking for a bit of advice.
3.4 cGPA
3.26 sGPA

MCAT - planned for 4/2014 (3 practice tests in the 27-29 range, hoping thats a good gauge)

BS in Business, currently doing formal post-bacc and finishing pre-reqs. 3.7 post-bacc GPA. 2 years TA work in business courses.

Clinical Experience
ER Tech - 2.5 years (20-30 hrs/wk during school, 60-70 hrs/week on breaks and during summers throughout undergrad)
Volunteer EMT for my undergrad school - usually around 20 hrs/week

Pods Experience
20 hrs shadowing podiatrist in my area. Good LOR lined up - he is fairly surgery-heavy so my clinic time exposure has been somewhat limited.

Volunteer
Haiti - 10 days volunteer EMT in cholera clinics and small facilities
Dance Marathon @ undergrad for 4 years - started as participant, went up to last year being a committee member (organization grew from less than $1M my freshman year to over $2.1M raised for CMN my senior year)
Risk Chairman of my fraternity

I'm really looking for some guidance on where I stand as far as applications go and other programs I should look into applying to. I'm fairly new to the podiatry route (only been researching for a year or so) and I'm very drawn to both the surgical aspects and the private office aspects. As of now my plan is to apply to Temple, Western, Scholl and Kent. Thanks for the advice!

You wont get your scores back until May which will hurt your chances at getting in as most seats will have been filled up by then.

However, your gpa and ECs are superb, so you will likely get wait listed at several schools and then accepted during the summer whenever seats open up. The downside is that you won't necessarily get an acceptance from yor top choice. you'll likely have to matriculated into whichever program accepts you that late in the cycle (probably one of the larger schools like temple, scholl, nycpm)

In my opinion, I would finish applying ASAP and interview as early as possible. Unless you are dead set on going to a smaller program like azpod, you will find a seat somewhere for the fall of 2014.

Thanks for the quick reply! I should have mentioned that I wasn't planning on throwing in my applications until this summer and matriculating until 2015; however, do you really think that if I were to put in an application somewhere now I may have a shot at a few of the programs?

For 2015, as long as you score 25+ on your mcat you'll be awarded large scholarships.

Like i said, you have a shot of getting in for the fall 2014, but it would be from a wait-listed application due to your late mcat. I'm not sure how it works for late applicants, but I imagine the majority of the scholarships would have already been awarded by then.

Hi all,
I have been lurking for awhile but now that I'm on my way to applying WAMC??

Schools you are applying to:
CSPM, Western, AZPOD, and NYCPM

2. cGPA/sGPA:
3.3 cGPA/ 3.0 sGPA - BS in Bio from a UC

3. MCAT Score:
20 (retaking in January)
chem: 7
verbal: 6
bio: 7

4. Podiatry Experience:
35 hours with two different Podiatrists

5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable):
200+ hours volunteering at a hospital
200+ hours elsewhere
6. Volunteering:
TA'd for a quarter
Sports Chair for Fraternity
Member of many clubs

I was going to apply after my September MCAT but I am uneasy with my score, so I am planning to retake the MCATs in January. My 1A/1B schools are the 2 California Podiatry schools, but I understand I'm below/average in the GPA and MCAT standpoint. I was wondering what magic number I should shoot for on the MCAT to lift the anxiety off my shoulders and ensure an interview. Also, I am curious as to what my timeline should be to apply... I don't want the schools to see my 20 and reject me before my next score comes out!

Also I have a strong LOR already discussed with my Podiatrist, should I shadow more??
Thanks for the advice!

Due to your late-ish application, and your average gpa, I would feel most comfortable applying with a ~24.

Your stats would have probably gotten you a seat somewhere 2 months ago, but at this point you need to make up time with stronger stats.

Disclaimer: anectdotal evidence from an accepted pre pod at a couple schools

Thanks for the response! Wow did I go about this the wrong way then? Because I was convinced that my scores wouldn't have cut it for the California schools ..

3.2 GPA 3.1 Science 30 MCAT
Hoping to get my gpa up some more before applying
Have about 200 hours under supervision of various dentists
and about 100 from podiatrists as well as a lot of ECs and volunteer activities
Applying as early as possible!

Hey guys so I have an interview at Temple coming up. I was wondering if they are really contingent upon having a pod letter. I shadowed a few pods but not enough on one doctor to get a letter. If worst comes to worst I will call and they will probably write me one. I was just wondering if anyone got in without one this cycle? Thank you!!