Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
PS: 13
BS: 14
VR: 8
35Q

GPA: ~3.8
BCPM GPA: ~3.7

I am happy with my score but a bit worried about how my verbal will look.

I was kinda hoping for a top tier school....Does the extreme imbalance hurt me a lot?

8VR
8PS
10BS
Total: 26M, GPA=4.00, volunteer and hospital work experience...took exam August 20, 2007 and was taking 11 hours of classes over the summer semester while studying for the MCAT, so I know i could have done better but I REALLY want to be in the Fall Medical School class of 2008!!!!! WHAT DO I DO???PLEASE HELP!!!

Either apply to lots of schools this year (will get costly) or take a year off and rewrite. Honestly, an extra year can do wonders for you. It will give you a chance to really strengthen your extracurriculars and improve your MCAT score.

Great job Chad! I was wondering what you got... I had my fingers crossed that you would do well.

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me! By the way, I love the Utah Jazz. In 7th grade my family went to Park City for spring break to go skiing, and one night we drove down to Salt Lake to see them play. It was really fun!

PS: 10
VR: 9
BS: 10

29Q

GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.7

Currently a junior... I'm planning to retake in January... simply b/c my practices ranged anywhere between 31 - 37 ... more on the lower side... but I still need a 30+

When would you suggest I retake? I'm thinking January

A 29 is not a bad score, and yours is very balanced. Your GPA is good as well, and if you have strong ECs you wouldn't necessarily need to retake to get accepted at a school. However, if you were hoping for a higher-ranked school it might be a good idea to take again in January, especially considering how much higher your average practice score was.

8VR
8PS
10BS
Total: 26M, GPA=4.00, volunteer and hospital work experience...took exam August 20, 2007 and was taking 11 hours of classes over the summer semester while studying for the MCAT, so I know i could have done better but I REALLY want to be in the Fall Medical School class of 2008!!!!! WHAT DO I DO???PLEASE HELP!!!
If you've already sent in the application this year, just go ahead and stick with it. There are plenty of examples of people getting accepted with a 26 (one of my good friends included). You didn't get below an 8 in any section, which is good. If you are applying to state schools (unless you're in CA) you'll have a decent shot, especially with your great GPA and solid ECs. If you haven't submitted your primary yet, I would hold off and retake if you feel confident you can improve PS and VR. What did your practice scores look like?
PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 11
W: R

GPA 3.7

Should I be applying?

Definitely yes. You have a good, well-balanced MCAT and strong GPA. As long as you're ECs are in line, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

PS: 13
BS: 14
VR: 8
35Q

GPA: ~3.8
BCPM GPA: ~3.7

I am happy with my score but a bit worried about how my verbal will look.

I was kinda hoping for a top tier school....Does the extreme imbalance hurt me a lot?

Yours is a tough call. What were your practice scores on VR like? I think you'd probably be alright with such great science scores, but that VR isn't going to do you any favors. It's hard to say whether or not you'd be accepted at a top-tier school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Improving your verbal by 1 point won't be a big difference, and considering that you scored at the top of your range suggests to me that you should keep your scores.

Do you plan on applying to western ontario or queens? Because you then need a 10 to make their cutoffs, unless they lower them by the time they apply. Improving by 2 points on verbal is fairly hard.

Thanks. Yes I was thinking the same. Even my 8 feels chancy to me. I need A LOT of time to improve (+ a lot of NEW material which will cost tons).

I think I will keep the score, even though I strongly feel I can improve Bio. I guess the score is good for mid-tier schools in US?

I go to what would probably be considered a 3rd tier state school. Overall GPA is 3.6, Science GPA is a 3.9. I've got about 2000 clinical hours which is good, and probably average EC's otherwise.

MCAT score from Aug 20th was:
08PS 11VR 10BS OWS Total: 29O

Probably good enough for DO, but I'd really like to go MD. I'm not applying until next year so I could retake in the Spring/Summer, and I made the mistake of writing the MCAT before taking physics (that was dumb) which I'm taking this year - so I do think I can improve my PS by a couple of points. What worries me is losing ground from BS or more likely VR. I can probably study more for BS and at least keep my 10, but I'm really worried to lose my 11 in VR.

Still, the 8 in PS is a bit of a bother (and a bit scewed from my other scores), and I can see where having a 31 or 32 might really give me an edge over a 29.

Opinions?

I just got my scores back yday and i am actually quite satisfied with my science scores. I am also satisfied with my composite... but my verbal is actually pretty low...

12 BS, 12 PS, 7 VR
GPA: 3.75 jr year
i know the verbal is really low, but i believe i can prove to them that i am an effective communicator and speaker.

what do you guys think? i know this is a tough call... but can someone please help me out?

I just got my scores back yday and i am actually quite satisfied with my science scores. I am also satisfied with my composite... but my verbal is actually pretty low...

12 BS, 12 PS, 7 VR
GPA: 3.75 jr year
i know the verbal is really low, but i believe i can prove to them that i am an effective communicator and speaker.

what do you guys think? i know this is a tough call... but can someone please help me out?

What were your practice scores for your VR? I had a similar situation 13/12/7. My VR score range was 8-11, and mostly getting 9's or 10's. I retook and got a 10 in VR. Since you have another year to improve (are you going into your junior year or finished junior?), I think you should try to get that VR score up.

i was wondering how i would fair with the med schools with these scores. honestly, i would be happy going to any US med school... maybe im a bit paranoid to ask this question... but with that 12B,12P, 7V... do you think i can get in? sorry if this is a stupid question... but in all honesty im really lost on this...

i was wondering how i would fair with the med schools with these scores. honestly, i would be happy going to any US med school... maybe im a bit paranoid to ask this question... but with that 12B,12P, 7V... do you think i can get in? sorry if this is a stupid question... but in all honesty im really lost on this...

I'm applying this year so I'm not really an expert. I think you could get in, but you wouldn't necessarily get your first choice. Your best shot would be your state schools. But you got a great GPA and science scores. If you can bring that verbal up in the next year, you will get lots of interest from medical schools.

I hear the difference between a 29 and a 30 is tremendous... seems to make sense right? Even with adcoms... it seems like it could be a realllllly big psychological factor. It seems silly that I'm retaking a 29... but probably wouldn't retake a 30/31.... I'm justified in doing it right... especially if I'm still a junior?

I hear the difference between a 29 and a 30 is tremendous... seems to make sense right? Even with adcoms... it seems like it could be a realllllly big psychological factor. It seems silly that I'm retaking a 29... but probably wouldn't retake a 30/31.... I'm justified in doing it right... especially if I'm still a junior?

Since you are junior and because in your other posts you have said you have done better on practice, I would definately retake. I don't think you will go down.

Hi tooks the MCAT on july 13th. I have a 27O. 10BS,9VR and 8PS. I have a PhD in moicrobiology, suicide prevention and ER volunteering, good LOR's (I think) and 5 publications. Should I retake the test. I am a Mass. resident. My GPA is 3.76. What do you guys think of my chances this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if I should re-take a third time..I hear that admissions people raise their eyebrows at a third try:
August 2006: 7 PS 7 V 8BS
August 2007 9PS 9 V 7 BS (ouch)
=26 when looking at best in each section.

-I am doing a PostBac right now and acing exams..lots of college ECs..applying next summer
RETAKE THOUGHTS? THANKS

Hey guys. I'm a survivor of the August 20th MCAT.

I got a 33Q (12PS, 11VR, 10BS). I realize this is a good score, but I'm actually kind of disappointed with it because I was getting 36-38 on the AAMC practice tests, got a 31 on my Kaplan diagnostic, and was expecting 35+ on the real thing (well, before I saw the test, that is...:(). I guess I'm most concerned with the 10 in BS, especially since I'm a Bio major.

My GPA will be about 3.75 (science GPA 3.63) when I graduate (I'm taking a year off). I go to a top-10 private university. ECs are pretty good.

I was really hoping to apply to UNC and Duke for med school (NC resident). Will this MCAT hurt my chances? I have this urge to retake because I feel like I can do better and I'm worried a 33 is borderline for those schools. At the same time, I think I might still be reeling from the anxiety and shock at not having my (admittedly unrealistic) expectations met.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks so much!

Hey guys. I'm a survivor of the August 20th MCAT.

I got a 33Q (12PS, 11VR, 10BS). I realize this is a good score, but I'm actually kind of disappointed with it because I was getting 36-38 on the AAMC practice tests, got a 31 on my Kaplan diagnostic, and was expecting 35+ on the real thing (well, before I saw the test, that is...:(). I guess I'm most concerned with the 10 in BS, especially since I'm a Bio major.

My GPA will be about 3.75 (science GPA 3.63) when I graduate (I'm taking a year off). I go to a top-10 private university. ECs are pretty good.

I was really hoping to apply to UNC and Duke for med school (NC resident). Will this MCAT hurt my chances? I have this urge to retake because I feel like I can do better and I'm worried a 33 is borderline for those schools. At the same time, I think I might still be reeling from the anxiety and shock at not having my (admittedly unrealistic) expectations met.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks so much!

Duke has some of the highest MCAT scores, you may be competitive, but on their low range. I think you should be good for UNC. Those are great scores. I know you would like to live close to home, but I think you should be willing to accept that you may not get in to UNC or Duke. This process can be so random at times. Your scores are good enough for most schools , so I know that you will get into medical school.

Duke has some of the highest MCAT scores, you may be competitive, but on their low range. I think you should be good for UNC. Those are great scores. I know you would like to live close to home, but I think you should be willing to accept that you may not get in to UNC or Duke. This process can be so random at times. Your scores are good enough for most schools , so I know that you will get into medical school.

Thanks for your advice and kind words, koopa. They are greatly appreciated! Best of luck to you! :)

Hi tooks the MCAT on july 13th. I have a 27O. 10BS,9VR and 8PS. I have a PhD in moicrobiology, suicide prevention and ER volunteering, good LOR's (I think) and 5 publications. Should I retake the test. I am a Mass. resident. My GPA is 3.76. What do you guys think of my chances this cycle?
Please help me. i got my AMCAS verified today. My GPA went up to 3.8. My BCPM is 3.81 and my non BCPM is 3.5. Gujju doc or koopa troopa or anyone please give me some feedback

Please help me. i got my AMCAS verified today. My GPA went up to 3.8. My BCPM is 3.81 and my non BCPM is 3.5. Gujju doc or koopa troopa or anyone please give me some feedback

Like I have said in my other posts, retake if you think you can do better. If your MCAT score does not reflect your capabilities, then take it again. Considering that you already have a PhD and are already an older applicant, taking another year might not be a big deal for you. Do you really want to get in this cycle? You have a good gpa. If you got a 30+ MCAT, i think you will have a really great application and could really apply anywhere. But if you are applying this year, then make sure you apply broadly.

Like I have said in my other posts, retake if you think you can do better. If your MCAT score does not reflect your capabilities, then take it again. Considering that you already have a PhD and are already an older applicant, taking another year might not be a big deal for you. Do you really want to get in this cycle? You have a good gpa. If you got a 30+ MCAT, i think you will have a really great application and could really apply anywhere. But if you are applying this year, then make sure you apply broadly.
Thanks verymuch. I am applying this year and yes I am applying broadly. Hope for the best. God luck to you and thanks for taking the time.

Should I retake? I'm looking to get into a mid-tier school, preferably in florida (im a fl resident), applying next cycle:

32P (12 P, 8 V, 12 B)
4.0 GPA in Biomedical Engineering (im in my junior year)

my practice PS ranged from 12-15, Verbal 7-10, BS 11-13

I don't know why people keep asking each other if they should retake. It's really quite simple: if you strongly believe you could do much better either on the entire test or on any given section, and if you are willing to study again, then retake. But yours is a good score. If you are in CA, your score is good enough to get a secondary at any UC. If you are somewhere else, apply to your state schools, your score should be more than enough. If you have no other weaknesses in your application, an 8 in VR is not something that will disqualify you immediately from any school, especially with a 4.0.

-I am doing a PostBac right now and acing exams..lots of college ECs and unique clinical experiences..applying next summer (PA resident)

I skipped a few in PS but think verbal is pretty much where i was in practice tests..going down in bio was pretty hurtful..a 7!! Should I retake another time or just concentrate on doing a great job in my post-bac program??

I posted a similar reply earlier but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Thanks for any feedback! :love:

I don't know why people keep asking each other if they should retake. It's really quite simple: if you strongly believe you could do much better either on the entire test or on any given section, and if you are willing to study again, then retake. But yours is a good score. If you are in CA, your score is good enough to get a secondary at any UC. If you are somewhere else, apply to your state schools, your score should be more than enough. If you have no other weaknesses in your application, an 8 in VR is not something that will disqualify you immediately from any school, especially with a 4.0.

well i don't have a 4.0 so i need some guidance too

3.45 GPA (undergrad)
currently in MAMS program so i have no idea how my gpa will turn out...not looking good so far
32 Q - sounds good right?
13 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS

retake? i definitely wouldnt if it was a 9VR...but 8...not to mention i got an 8 last time too....no improvement.

Hello,

I took the May 16 MCAT and got 13 in PS, 13 in BS, and 10 in VR, with an S in writing. I was hoping to get into a top-tier school but I realize my score is imbalanced. Do you think my score will hurt me, help me, or not do anything for my chances with top-tier schools?

(I understand that in general this is a good score and am not posting to show off or to complain or to piss anyone off. I just want a sense for how competitive my score is for the top schools, because I know that they can have very high standards and may frown upon anything less than an 11 on any section, so I wanted some outside opinions/perspective as to whether my verbal score would hurt me.)

Thank you!

Hello,

I took the May 16 MCAT and got 13 in PS, 13 in BS, and 10 in VR, with an S in writing. I was hoping to get into a top-tier school but I realize my score is imbalanced. Do you think my score will hurt me, help me, or not do anything for my chances with top-tier schools?

(I understand that in general this is a good score and am not posting to show off or to complain or to piss anyone off. I just want a sense for how competitive my score is for the top schools, because I know that they can have very high standards and may frown upon anything less than an 11 on any section, so I wanted some outside opinions/perspective as to whether my verbal score would hurt me.)

Thank you!

Get the MSAR, you'll see that you will be fine at any school...And why are posting in the retake thread?

well i don't have a 4.0 so i need some guidance too

3.45 GPA (undergrad)
currently in MAMS program so i have no idea how my gpa will turn out...not looking good so far
32 Q - sounds good right?
13 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS

retake? i definitely wouldnt if it was a 9VR...but 8...not to mention i got an 8 last time too....no improvement.

I really think you're fine with that score (and in a MAMS program), but if you're not applying until next year, and are confident that on a retake you'd be raising your score, it's really your call. If I were you, I'd talk to your MAMS program advisor and see what they think. I'd also suggest that you look up your top choice schools on mdapps to see how people with an 8 in VR and around your gpa fared. Good luck.

yeah that's some good advice.
halekulani, you can have my 9 in VR if I get ur science scores ahhaha..so I guess I better re-take for a third MCAT. I have heard conflicting things about whether this looks bad or shows determination. I guess it might somewhat show poor judgement for not taking it at the best time possible. But if I selectively apply to schools that take the best scores from each exam instead of averaging, I will be alright.

Some advice would be appreciated

8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS, Q WS ==> 27Q

3.7 GPA, 3.6 BCPM

I'm applying this year, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time and should try again in January. I think I could do better in PS, but the highest score I ever got on a practice test in VR was 11, so I'm concerned that VR may drop. Thanks!

Some advice would be appreciated

8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS, Q WS ==> 27Q

3.7 GPA, 3.6 BCPM

I'm applying this year, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time and should try again in January. I think I could do better in PS, but the highest score I ever got on a practice test in VR was 11, so I'm concerned that VR may drop. Thanks!
Schools will not be accepting January 2008 scores for this application cycle. If you do retake, it would be for consideration for the 2009 cycle.

Schools will not be accepting January 2008 scores for this application cycle. If you do retake, it would be for consideration for the 2009 cycle.

And this is the problem I am facing..wait a year, and potentially lower my verbal, or just stick with the score I have.

Hey yall,

So i took the MCAT on the 16th and made a 31N. Usually on the practice essays, I have made between a P and R. Many people have said the Essay does not count then again I have heard anything less than a P can hurt you. My GPA is 3.6 both science and regular. I have not done any research, but am pretty active on campus.

The options I have:
1. Get it regraded (has it ever worked out well for ppl who have done it in the past?) If the score does not go up, does it look bad that I asked to get it regraded?
2. Take it again
3. Hope for the best.

Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks

-I am doing a PostBac right now and acing exams..lots of college ECs and unique clinical experiences..applying next summer (PA resident)

I skipped a few in PS but think verbal is pretty much where i was in practice tests..going down in bio was pretty hurtful..a 7!! Should I retake another time or just concentrate on doing a great job in my post-bac program??

I posted a similar reply earlier but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Thanks for any feedback! :love:

If you're applying next year, retake after a bit more of your postbac work, especially if you're applying MD only.

hey, i thought i'd obsess over my marks with the rest of you.

12 Bio, 10 Phys, 8 verbal = 30Q overall

3.66 gpa, 3.5 science - Vermont resident
EMT B and I for 4 years w/ lots of clinical experience in the back of a rig
22 y.o UMiami grad

sent out 12 secondaries to middle-tier schools. how do i look? should i retake at some point?

thanks for your tips

hey guys,

What do you think i should do?

august 2006 (paper/pencil): 13P, 13B, 8V Q -> 34Q
august 2007(CBT) : 11P, 12B, 6V N -> 29N :eek:

I don't know what happened!!! I was definitely more prepared the second time around!!! I hate this new format!! Specially their policy about optional breaks!! Right through physical/verbal section, the guy beside me was pounding away at a very old keyboard!!! :mad: This is not standardized test conditions.

What do you guys think I should do? With my practice tests, i was hitting around 33-36! Do you think adcom will second guess my first set of scores???

any thoughts welcomed!!!

hey guys,

What do you think i should do?

august 2006 (paper/pencil): 13P, 13B, 8V Q -> 34Q
august 2007(CBT) : 11P, 12B, 6V N -> 29N :eek:

I don't know what happened!!! I was definitely more prepared the second time around!!! I hate this new format!! Specially their policy about optional breaks!! Right through physical/verbal section, the guy beside me was pounding away at a very old keyboard!!! :mad: This is not standardized test conditions.

What do you guys think I should do? With my practice tests, i was hitting around 33-36! Do you think adcom will second guess my first set of scores???

any thoughts welcomed!!!

August 20th was way harder than practice tests and way harder than most other (if not all) CBT administrations this year. Retake if you don't get in this year. There are schools which take the highest score in each section, which means they'll ignore your second attempt.

August 20th was way harder than practice tests and way harder than most other (if not all) CBT administrations this year. Retake if you don't get in this year. There are schools which take the highest score in each section, which means they'll ignore your second attempt.

I wrote it on august 25th! I took Kaplan and generally find it more challenging than the actual AAMC tests! I think having a difficult test would be more advantageous since other people will be stumped too and the curve will be more forgiving!

I wrote it on august 25th! I took Kaplan and generally find it more challenging than the actual AAMC tests! I think having a difficult test would be more advantageous since other people will be stumped too and the curve will be more forgiving!

August 25 was only offered in Canada, right? I don't know how hard/easy it may have been. Why did you score lower than your practice tests? There is always a reason. Whether or not you should retake depends on why you scored lower than your practice tests. Were you too nervous? Did you find the actual test harder? What happened? Did you end up guessing on 2 whole passages in VR?

i'm trying to figure out why someone would retake a 34Q when they took it in 2006...the score hasn't expired at all.

Hi all,

I have a 32O (PS11, BS11, VR10) with a 3.8 GPA (same for sciences), tons or research, good ECs, and I should have my name on a few papers by the time I apply next year. I'm from MI and would love to go to Michigan for med school, but my scores are on the low end of their averages. I felt reasonable prepared for the test, but part of me thinks I could do better. Any thoughts/suggestions? Should I retake or just apply really early next year and hope to get in?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I've already made up my mind about retaking (that I'm going to) but I wanted to get some feedback nonetheless.

August 9th 2007
BS: 10
VR: 10
PS: 9
W: R

Total: 29R

My biggest concern is my verbal- I'm worried that I will not be able to get that again. I was scoring 29-35 on my last few practice tests, ranging 10-12 in BS, 9-13 in VR, and 9-10 in PS. I know where my PS (and BS for that matter) weak spots are, but being able to make that verbal again concerns me.

I'm a junior with a 3.91 GPA (even higher BCPM). Ah... 2 more points and I would've been satisfied...

-BP

i'm trying to figure out why someone would retake a 34Q when they took it in 2006...the score hasn't expired at all.

I retook it in hopes of improving my verbal score of 8. I have no chance at Canadian medical school since i will be screened out!

Did you know you have no chance, as in actually applying and asking why you didn't get in? Just from the MSAR, the average for most Canadian schools is around a 10, which means there are those above and below that score that get in. Unfortunately, not all schools provide their data. The ones that do give no indication that they would screen you out for an 8. In fact, on the bar giving the range, some medical schools have gone as low as a 6. In my opinion, it does looks bad for someone with a score that high retaking. That said, it's not like my opinion matters, the adcoms do :p

Did you know you have no chance, as in actually applying and asking why you didn't get in? Just from the MSAR, the average for most Canadian schools is around a 10, which means there are those above and below that score that get in. Unfortunately, not all schools provide their data. The ones that do give no indication that they would screen you out for an 8. In fact, on the bar giving the range, some medical schools have gone as low as a 6. In my opinion, it does looks bad for someone with a score that high retaking. That said, it's not like my opinion matters, the adcoms do :p

The thing about Canadian schools is that most schools accept mostly from their own province. The only exception are a few schools in ontario. So most Canadian applicants have a good shot at their own provincial school and 2 - 3 schools in ontario. If they apply to any of the schools out of their province, their stats have to be much much higher than the average shown in MSAR.

I'm from Ontario and most schools here have a cut off... For UWO/Queens, you need at least a 10 in all sections unless you attended high school in southwestern Ontario (which I didn't --the cut offs are then 8 in all sections). To apply out of province, I need to more competitive than the resident applicant and there are few spots reserved for out of province students-- and thus an 8 will not do, especially on verbal!!

Sorry to repost but I didn't get a response to my previous one.

I took the August 9th MCAT and I got the following scores:

33Q
VR: 11
BS: 13

I know my score is alright but I'm aiming for a top tier school and I'm wondering if this would be high enough to be competitive (I've heard you should have at least a 36?). I'm currently a sophomore so I have time to retake it but I really don't want to unless it is absolutely necessary. Do you think I could potentially score higher in two years (maybe I'll be smarter by then? I don't know if my age could be a disadvantage.). Thanks for your opinion.

33Q

I know my score is alright but I'm aiming for a top tier school and I'm wondering if this would be high enough to be competitive (I've heard you should have at least a 36?). I'm currently a sophomore so I have time to retake it but I really don't want to unless it is absolutely necessary. Do you think I could potentially score higher in two years (maybe I'll be smarter by then? I don't know if my age could be a disadvantage.). Thanks for your opinion.
Retake for the top schools, but just know you have a great chance of shooting yourself in the butt and scoring lower. You can still be competitve at most schools with that score

33Q

I don't think you will get much smarter. Remember that the MCAT is mostly about interpreting information. Your ability to do that probably won't be that different in a year or two. Unless you have been getting 36+ scores on practice tests, I wouldn't bother retaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.