Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi Everyone,
Not sure whether I should retake MCAT (applying to start medical school in 2019). Just received scores back from June 21st date and here was the breakdown:
126 C/P, 128 CARS, Biological/biochemical 123, Psych/Soc 128 = TOTAL: 505.
My ugrad gpa was 2.83
Did masters in public health (epidemiology): 3.35
Retook science courses at state college: GPA :4.0
Tons of research experience. 2 publications.

Should I retake the MCAT in August? Thanks!

Hi I just received my score
CP 124
CARS 128
Bio 122
Psych/soc 124
Overall 498
I Know this is not good but I’m wondering if retaking in August would still give me a chance to apply this cycle?
I’m aiming for a 504+ and thinking that focusing hard on practice tests for the next month could really benefit my score.
Any advice??

Reactions: 1 user
should I retake?
27L
VR: 4 :(:(
PS: 12
BS: 11
I don't know what happened with my VR.
English is my second language, so I don't expect too much for VR. But I think 4 is too low.
I usually got between 6-8 in my practice tests. Any advice for retake or not??:confused::confused:
You shall not retake in that case only for VR if you are not sure for that, since, you scored good in other sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
Not sure whether I should retake MCAT (applying to start medical school in 2019). Just received scores back from June 21st date and here was the breakdown:
126 C/P, 128 CARS, Biological/biochemical 123, Psych/Soc 128 = TOTAL: 505.
My ugrad gpa was 2.83
Did masters in public health (epidemiology): 3.35
Retook science courses at state college: GPA :4.0
Tons of research experience. 2 publications.

Should I retake the MCAT in August? Thanks!
As per my opinion ;you shall not retake the examination as it is almost appropriate qualification for taking post grad course.

As per my opinion ;you shall not retake the examination as it is almost appropriate qualification for taking post grad course.
English must not be your first language because I didn't understand your sentence I quoted above either.

Pretty sure I'll need to retake due to my bombshell CARS score.

506 (130/121/126/129)

My CARS was a few points lower on my actual than anticipated (125-126), and my B/B was a bit lower (127-129). I only applied MD this cycle.

Little antsy about my CARS score...am I in the clear though to land some in-state interviews?

508 (128, 124, 127, 129); 3.76gpa; TX res

Should I retake due to my C/P? Aiming for DO schools.

Total: 503
C/P: 122 (21st %tile)
CARS: 127 (82nd %tile)
Bio/Biochem: 128 (85th %tile)
Psych/Soc: 126 (62nd %tile)

Undergrad GPA 2.99
Post-Bacc GPA 3.69

MCAT: 506 (128/123/129/126)
Overall GPA: 3.98, sGPA: 4.0
Texas resident
- 100+ hours surgery shadowing
- University hospital research
- Couple of strong LORs (committee letter)

Maybe planning on retaking in late august, would that be too late for this cycle?

I disagree with the above poster manofthehour, you don't need to retake to stay in Tx, unless you are trying for a more competitive program. But then you've probably already decided by now :)
With your above score, UNT, Texas A&M and probably El Paso will take you all day long. Galveston also really values GPA, more than MCAT. A 506 is not terribly competitive, but with your excellent grades, shadowing you should be fine. If you DO decide to retake, I took MCAT in August and still got 5 interviews, got my first choice of Med School, where I am now a 3rd year, and I wasn't terribly competitive by the numbers.
What people don't often tell you is that your personal statement and how you interview are VERY important. As long as your scores don't disqualify you (and yours don't) you can get in the door with a good personal statement and LORs, and seal the deal with a strong interview.
Don't get caught up in your MCAT percentile, don't pay too much attention to MCAT averages at each school. Good luck!
-BabyDaddy

Should I retake due to my C/P? Aiming for DO schools.

Total: 503
C/P: 122 (21st %tile)
CARS: 127 (82nd %tile)
Psych/Soc: 126 (62nd %tile)

Undergrad GPA 2.99
Post-Bacc GPA 3.69

Hopeful_doc21, I would retake if I were you. Your MCAT is right on the bubble, but with your other grades being not-so-competitive, you really need AT LEAST an average MCAT (average for accepted students at DO schools) to have a good shot at acceptance. That said, if you are out of time, you can always apply and just see what happens and reapply next year if needed. Some say applying twice disqualifies you, but some say it shows determination. It probably all depends on how much improvement you show and how well you sell your improvement in your interviews.

GOOD LUCK!
-BabyDaddy

Debating if I should retake this because its seems very unbalanced with the high cars and lowish science scores but I'm happy with the overall score, as i hope to go to my state school.
512 126/132/126/128
gpa: 3.65
sgpa: 3.45

Members don't see this ad :)
Debating if I should retake this because its seems very unbalanced with the high cars and lowish science scores but I'm happy with the overall score, as i hope to go to my state school.
512 126/132/126/128
Don't retake man. It takes a special kind of crazy to retake a solid MCAT score...

Reactions: 1 users
512 126/132/126/128
Agree with Shotapp. Don't do it. Most schools just use composite MCAT score as a screening tool to decide who they interview, and some use it to rank students they want after interview. Only an especially low line score would raise questions. You don't have one :)
If you retake anything, you might consider repeating a couple basic sciences at a community college to boost your science GPA. Hopefully that will not be necessary with your MCAT though! Congrats!

-BabyDaddy

I'm just wondering if I should retake the MCAT because of how low the CARS is although I really do not want to. Score is consistent with my most recent practice score. My score is like scrapping the bottom of good scores...
This is my first actual MCAT test as well:
130/124/128/128

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.00

Not pleased with my MCAT, but its not surprising as I was not a science major in undergrad

125/127/125/126

GPA: 3.88
History Major with Honors research experience

taught 2 years with TFA

Post-bacc: 4.00
Current MA at an Urgent Care

Should I retake due to my CARS?

Total: 513
C/P: 130 (97th %tile)
CARS: 125 (60th %tile)
Psych/Soc: 130 (95th %tile)

Undergrad GPA: 3.72

My first choice is Baylor; I got 517=129/132/126/130. I am wondering how much that Bio/Biochem would hurt my chances at BCM?

I am contemplating a retake as I was getting 520+ in practice.

I am from TX. Please share your thoughts especially towards Baylor chances.

My first choice is Baylor; I got 517=129/132/126/130. I am wondering how much that Bio/Biochem would hurt my chances at BCM?

I am contemplating a retake as I was getting 520+ in practice.

I am from TX. Please share your thoughts especially towards Baylor chances.

Do not retake with a 517! If you are otherwise competitive, you should still have a good shot at Baylor. You are also very competitive for schools like UT Houston (McGovern), UTSW, and UT Austin (Dell) as well as both TxTech schools etc. McGovern is right across the street from Baylor. It's basic science curriculum will not prepare you for Step 1 quite as well as Baylor but its clinical experience is second-to-none, and there is no reason you can't match into anything you want from McGovern if you put in the work. Many students at McGovern kill Step 1 and do very well in the match. UTSW is a very competitive school, and often considered equal to Baylor in Tx. UTSW just doesn't have the same name recognition outside of Texas, but that's changing.

Regardless, that's a great score and competitive for Baylor (avg 518). Don't let your ego about what your score should be lead you into a bad decision.

-BabyDaddy

Do not retake with a 517! If you are otherwise competitive, you should still have a good shot at Baylor. You are also very competitive for schools like UT Houston (McGovern), UTSW, and UT Austin (Dell) as well as both TxTech schools etc. McGovern is right across the street from Baylor. It's basic science curriculum will not prepare you for Step 1 quite as well as Baylor but its clinical experience is second-to-none, and there is no reason you can't match into anything you want from McGovern if you put in the work. Many students at McGovern kill Step 1 and do very well in the match. UTSW is a very competitive school, and often considered equal to Baylor in Tx. UTSW just doesn't have the same name recognition outside of Texas, but that's changing.

Regardless, that's a great score and competitive for Baylor (avg 518). Don't let your ego about what your score should be lead you into a bad decision.

-BabyDaddy

Thank you very much! I posted in two forums as I wasn't sure, I will stop the other thread.

I am majoring in BioChem and my GPA 3.8 and sGPA is 3.7. It's the other reason I wanted to get high MCAT to compensate that lower GPA.

I spent LOT of time in research (employed as researcher and got paid) in TMC and co-published in Blood journal. I will get a good recommendation letter there. I will also get a strong rec letter from my humanities prof who is aware of my critical thinking and recommended to Dean's scholars list. Not to gloat: I was always good at CARS and I also approach issues differently looking at the big picture and philosophically. I notice BCM has public health policy and research which resonate well with me. I hope my research experience and leadership positions in university governance & policy along with the strong recommendations will help.

Now I REALLY need to work on the clinical exposure side, Between high-school and college (during the summer) I shadowed few doctors and also the ER. Nothing in the college, how much shadowing would you suggest?

I volunteered 200+ hours in college and 800+ hours in high school; 95% of it in health care setting. I do not know how much more would help. I am trying to allocate remaining time (before next summer application) in right places.

Thank you all very much!!

It's the other reason I wanted to get high MCAT to compensate that lower GPA.
That's not a lower GPA. It's fine. It will not at all detract from your application to the higher-tier Tx Schools.
I spent LOT of time in research (employed as researcher and got paid) in TMC and co-published in Blood journal. I will get a good recommendation letter there.
That's great! Actual research will help you a lot in the better schools, especially at McGovern, UTSW, and Baylor. McGovern specifically paired me with an interviewer that knew about my field of research so be sure you actually know what you're talking about for the interview. If you are actually doing research as you described, you shouldn't even need to prepare in this regard :) Many applicants have "research" but not as many have actually worked in a lab and have publications that they co-wrote (though it's not rare, at least among those accepted :))
I will also get a strong rec letter from my humanities prof who is aware of my critical thinking and recommended to Dean's scholars list.
Not sure how much this will help. Others may have more insight. I could see some of my clinical faculty rolling their eyes at an LOR from a humanities prof, but maybe Admission committee faculty would have a better idea. Maybe its fine?
Now I REALLY need to work on the clinical exposure side, Between high-school and college (during the summer) I shadowed few doctors and also the ER. Nothing in the college, how much shadowing would you suggest?

I volunteered 200+ hours in college and 800+ hours in high school; 95% of it in health care setting. I do not know how much more would help. I am trying to allocate remaining time (before next summer application) in right places.
You're fine on clinical experience. Most 1st-year Med students have much less than this. You're not applying to PA school. What's important now is the insights that you gained from you experiences and how you articulate them in interviews.
EDIT: I re-read your post and saw that none of your clinical experience is recent. I agree that you should get some more time, just to show that you are continuing to seek out these experiences, but you don't need a ton of hours. You just need some more recent hours. It's easy to explain that you got more hours before undergrad and then focused mostly on your grades.
Overall, as long as there are no red flags you haven't shared with us, your application is competitive for any Texas school, including Baylor. If you read otherwise, don't believe the hype.
Of course, there are no guarantees, ever.
Any Baylor students/grads care to chime in on this?
-BabyDaddy

That's not a lower GPA. It's fine. It will not at all detract from your application to the higher-tier Tx Schools.

That's great! Actual research will help you a lot in the better schools, especially at McGovern, UTSW, and Baylor. McGovern specifically paired me with an interviewer that knew about my field of research so be sure you actually know what you're talking about for the interview. If you are actually doing research as you described, you shouldn't even need to prepare in this regard :) Many applicants have "research" but not as many have actually worked in a lab and have publications that they co-wrote (though it's not rare, at least among those accepted :))

Not sure how much this will help. Others may have more insight. I could see some of my clinical faculty rolling their eyes at an LOR from a humanities prof, but maybe Admission committee faculty would have a better idea. Maybe its fine?

You're fine on clinical experience. Most 1st-year Med students have much less than this. You're not applying to PA school. What's important now is the insights that you gained from you experiences and how you articulate them in interviews.
EDIT: I re-read your post and saw that none of your clinical experience is recent. I agree that you should get some more time, just to show that you are continuing to seek out these experiences, but you don't need a ton of hours. You just need some more recent hours. It's easy to explain that you got more hours before undergrad and then focused mostly on your grades.
Overall, as long as there are no red flags you haven't shared with us, your application is competitive for any Texas school, including Baylor. If you read otherwise, don't believe the hype.
Of course, there are no guarantees, ever.
Any Baylor students/grads care to chime in on this?
-BabyDaddy

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts @BabyDaddy!

Bumping up to see if any Baylor students would share their thoughts.

Last edited:
Took MCAT in September. Got a 506 - 128/125/125/128. Target was 508 - 510 and had done better on all CARS full lengths.

Overall GPA is 3.7 with 3.5 science. Working on bringing the science GPA up.
Neuroscience, Spanish double majors. Chem, Public Health, Bio minors.

Have many ECs including division 1 athletics, shadowing neurosurgeon, OB/GYN, Spine Surgeon (150 hours), research to cure paralysis (168 hours), clinical volunteering at Spinal Cord Injury clinic (200 hours), community volunteering - Big Brothers/Big Sisters (200 hours). Speak Spanish.

Thoughts on re-take? Am a junior, applying for 2020.

Last edited:
If you want MD I'd say retake, the double 125 in CARS and Bio is tough to swallow for MD and your score is already low for MD anyway. If your state school has a low MCAT average that could work for you. For DO you're fine.

If I brought sGPA up to 3.7, would that make a difference?

In 40th percentile for one state school for MCAT and at median for GPAs.

I took the MCAT this summer and received a 497. (3.75 cgpa and 3.43 sips. Who has gotten an interview to MD or DO school with this score? Where was it? My breakdown was 125/122/123/127. I am in Pennsylvania and applied both in and OOS. Just wondering who is getting interviews these days!? Thanks a million

Just got my scores back from the 9/8 test. I scored a 514 which was lower than the 517 average I had on my practice FL's, and my CARS score was only a 125. Fairly unbalanced score. Should I retake? I heard that some schools screen you out based on the CARS score, and I'm wondering if the 125 is too low.

I'm aiming for MD schools, and I have 3.75 sGPA, good research hours/accomplishments, solid LOR, around 150 clinical hours by the time I apply. Still lacking substantial non-clinical hours, and no shadowing (been tough to find someone to shadow - they all say no!). My application is nothing super special, which is why I wanted to get that boost from my MCAT to help me out. Would I be ok for some MD schools with this MCAT score and the 125 in CARS? or should I retake? I am ORM Male in California, if that makes a difference

Just got my scores back from the 9/8 test. I scored a 514 which was lower than the 517 average I had on my practice FL's, and my CARS score was only a 125. Fairly unbalanced score. Should I retake? I heard that some schools screen you out based on the CARS score, and I'm wondering if the 125 is too low.

I'm aiming for MD schools, and I have 3.75 sGPA, good research hours/accomplishments, solid LOR, around 150 clinical hours by the time I apply. Still lacking substantial non-clinical hours, and no shadowing (been tough to find someone to shadow - they all say no!). My application is nothing super special, which is why I wanted to get that boost from my MCAT to help me out. Would I be ok for some MD schools with this MCAT score and the 125 in CARS? or should I retake? I am ORM Male in California, if that makes a difference

Depending on which MD schools you want, I think the 514 score is good for a first round of applications. I think schools will want to see more non-academic activities on your application than a higher MCAT score.

Where are you looking to apply?

I took the MCAT this summer and received a 497. (3.75 cgpa and 3.43 sips. Who has gotten an interview to MD or DO school with this score? Where was it? My breakdown was 125/122/123/127. I am in Pennsylvania and applied both in and OOS. Just wondering who is getting interviews these days!? Thanks a million
I know someone who got into Michigan with a 503, but that is the lowest score I have ever heard with successful medical school admission.

If you're not applying until next cycle, I don't see why you shouldn't take it again. You have time to get some shadowing in (which you should!!!) and maybe get into some other non-medical volunteering project, as well as retake the test. You could definitely get in with a 514, but having a higher score definitely won't hurt. @hcummins is right, though, it kind of depends on what school you want to get into! I would check out their averages on MSAR to see if you're around the median.

Took MCAT in September. Got a 506 - 128/125/125/128. Target was 508 - 510 and had done better on all CARS full lengths.

Overall GPA is 3.7 with 3.5 science. Working on bringing the science GPA up.
Neuroscience, Spanish double majors. Chem, Public Health, Bio minors.

Have many ECs including division 1 athletics, shadowing neurosurgeon, OB/GYN, Spine Surgeon (150 hours), research to cure paralysis (168 hours), clinical volunteering at Spinal Cord Injury clinic (200 hours), community volunteering - Big Brothers/Big Sisters (200 hours). Speak Spanish.

Thoughts on re-take? Am a junior, applying for 2020.
Depends on where you want to end up. You COULD get in with a 506 by riding the strength of your ECs (although I would also suggest shadowing a primary care physician, too), but not if you're trying to get into a big name school. If you don't really care where you get in, I would focus on everything else you have going on right now and try to strengthen yourself in other ways. If you're shooting for a top school, though, having a solid MCAT (>90%) is paramount. Maybe ditch one of the minors (AdComs don't care very much about minors), and refocus that energy into studying for a retake.

Needing advice!
September MCAT: 512 (127/129/127/129)
I was aiming for a 514 and just 2 points away from my target, I'm not sure it's worth retaking?

For reference: I am a URM, TX resident, non-tradish (studied public health), cGPA 3.77

I took the MCAT for the first time in September and graduated from a private liberal arts school with an upward trend GPA ending in a 3.77. I have years of undergrad research experience, am an EMT, and played varsity tennis all 4 years of school and was the captain during my senior year. Those are my main ECs but I have others that are in my resume - a mix of science/non-science related.

I'm not applying until next May and am in the process of adding other activities to my resume until that time. Is it worth retaking the exam if I am since I theoretically have the time and resources to retake the exam, or should I be content with this score if I want to go to a DO school (the 124 in CARS concerns me)?

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.