Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
PS - 10
VR - 9
BS - 10

TOTAL: 29R

Nontrad student
GPA about 3.5
Excellent clinical/research experience
Excellent Recommendations

So bummed because really the PS and VR are where I expected, but I had a killer bio section (2pm) and dropped about 3 points from my BS score. I think I am capable of 31-32.

Do I retake? When is the latest I can retake? At this point I'm interested in low to mid-tire Allopathic schools in this cycle only.... Thanks for the advice!

If you're averaging ~31 and you got a 29, I don't think a retake would be worth it. Sure, you got on the lower end of your testing ability, but that's just the way these sort of things work. There's no telling what might come up the next time you take the test (what if you get a killer PS or VR section) - and if you happen to make a lower/same score the second time around, all your would have accomplished is delaying your application by 1 or 2 months (and a lower score on the retake would look horrible).

That being said, if you're set on a retake (and you're absolutely confident you can score 3-4+ points higher), do it by at least the end of August.

Bio 11
Phy 11
VR 7

29O
GPA 3.6
Science GPA (pre 2005) 3.8
Post-Bac GPA (all sciences) 4.0

Substantial volunteer hours, home health care provider, started a nonprofit to provide life assistance to uninsured and underinsured citizens of my community, Masters in Business and CPA (earned and used in my past post-bac life), substantial shadowing hours, sit on a couple of health care related committees in my community.

I know my verbal isn't ideal but I don't feel I could raise it much without risking losing a point or two from the sciences. My advisor recommended me to fire off the applications and roll the dice based on my resume. I'm not looking for Harvard but am aiming for MD. I'm thinking of applying to ~17 schools and believe I will excel if given the interview opportunity. Just need the opportunity though! Thoughts?

Bio 11
Phy 11
VR 7

29O
GPA 3.6
Science GPA (pre 2005) 3.8
Post-Bac GPA (all sciences) 4.0

Substantial volunteer hours, home health care provider, started a nonprofit to provide life assistance to uninsured and underinsured citizens of my community, Masters in Business and CPA (earned and used in my past post-bac life), substantial shadowing hours, sit on a couple of health care related committees in my community.

I know my verbal isn't ideal but I don't feel I could raise it much without risking losing a point or two from the sciences. My advisor recommended me to fire off the applications and roll the dice based on my resume. I'm not looking for Harvard but am aiming for MD. I'm thinking of applying to ~17 schools and believe I will excel if given the interview opportunity. Just need the opportunity though! Thoughts?

Did you calculate your overall GPA with the post-bacc grades? What is your state of residency? I agree with your advisor - although your VR is less than ideal, at this stage in the application cycle, I wouldn't recommend a retake (especially since you feel like you might actually lose points).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you calculate your overall GPA with the post-bacc grades? What is your state of residency? I agree with your advisor - although your VR is less than ideal, at this stage in the application cycle, I wouldn't recommend a retake (especially since you feel like you might actually lose points).

Thanks for the response! So my overall GPA, including post-bac, is a 3.7. My state of residence is Montana, so we have ties to WICHE and WWAMI. Interestingly enough, she told me I might have more success at some of the east coast private (basically why I'm applying to 17) due to their more holistic review of applicants.

My 29 falls within all of the MSAR 10-90th percentile ranges of the 17 schools on my list. My list includes all of my regional schools and the remaining 12 or so is comprised of private schools whose "Selection Factors" per the MSAR called out to me as a post-bac (or how I read them!).

I really do not want to retake. I averaged just a measly 30 because...you guessed it...I always got served by verbal reasoning. Is there hope for me?

Thanks for the response! So my overall GPA, including post-bac, is a 3.7. My state of residence is Montana, so we have ties to WICHE and WWAMI. Interestingly enough, she told me I might have more success at some of the east coast private (basically why I'm applying to 17) due to their more holistic review of applicants.

My 29 falls within all of the MSAR 10-90th percentile ranges of the 17 schools on my list. My list includes all of my regional schools and the remaining 12 or so is comprised of private schools whose "Selection Factors" per the MSAR called out to me as a post-bac (or how I read them!).

I really do not want to retake. I averaged just a measly 30 because...you guessed it...I always got served by verbal reasoning. Is there hope for me?

Well, if you want more comprehensive advice on school lists and application stuff, I would recommend posting in the What Are My Chances Forum.

Unless you feel like you can significantly boost your score within a month, I would highly recommend against a retake. A 29 is borderline competitive, but a 29 followed by a lower grade on the retake would look a heck of a lot worse.

Well, if you want more comprehensive advice on school lists and application stuff, I would recommend posting in the What Are My Chances Forum.

Unless you feel like you can significantly boost your score within a month, I would highly recommend against a retake. A 29 is borderline competitive, but a 29 followed by a lower grade on the retake would look a heck of a lot worse.

Awesome, thanks!

27M with a 10BS 9V 8PS. I've hit low 30s on several practice exams but not sure if it's worth risking the chance of bombing and getting another 27 or even lower. 3.9 overall 3.8 science is solid but probably not enough to overcome the MCAT score. Also, I've sent in some secondary apps already, will schools put my application on hold once I put another test date on the AMCAS?

GPA
undergrad non science: ~ 3.6
undergrad science: ~ 3.5
post-bacc science: 3.9
grad school: ~3.4

MCAT
PS: 7
BS: 9
VR: 9
writing: R
25R

Background:
I'm in my later 20's.
Working in allied health as a clinician for 3+ years (think along the lines of PT/OT/SLP).
100 hours hospital volunteering.
Volunteer 1.5+ years non-prof organization involved with dept of mental health (about 300 hours and going).
Few semesters of research (not published).
Got good LORs from grad school, work, and pre-med committee.

Is a retake pretty much mandatory for any chance of MD interviews?

Hi all,

I took the June 16th exam and got:
9VR, 12BS, 11PS = 32Q

I retook because my score from May '08 expired...
10VR, 13BS, 11PS = 34O

Nontrad student, Third time re-app
Top 5 undergrad school
GPA: 3.3
SMP GPA: 3.3
Excellent clinical/volunteering/research experience
Good recs

I'm really considering retaking because I could work on my timing some more and I didn;t put a dent in my Berkeley Review questions at all.

I'm applying this cycle though, to MD, DO and Carrib. If I still want a shot at allopathic schools, do you all think I should retake? I feel like there's this expectation of me to get a 34 or higher because (1) I had got that in the past and (2) I need something to "balance" my gpa. I was averaging 36-37 on AAMC 4-9 and then got a 32 and 34 on AAMC 10 and 11.

Thank you!

Last edited:
GPA
undergrad non science: ~ 3.6
undergrad science: ~ 3.5
post-bacc science: 3.9
grad school: ~3.4

MCAT
PS: 7
BS: 9
VR: 9
writing: R
25R

Background:
I'm in my later 20's.
Working in allied health as a clinician for 3+ years (think along the lines of PT/OT/SLP).
100 hours hospital volunteering.
Volunteer 1.5+ years non-prof organization involved with dept of mental health (about 300 hours and going).
Few semesters of research (not published).
Got good LORs from grad school, work, and pre-med committee.

Is a retake pretty much mandatory for any chance of MD interviews?

Great ECs... GPAs are nice.... Your MCAT will hold you back though. You're looking OK DO... but if you want MD... that's a re-write no questions asked. Good luck!:luck:

Hi all,

I took the June 16th exam and got:
9VR, 12BS, 11PS = 32Q

I retook because my score from May '08 expired...
10VR, 13BS, 11PS = 34O

Nontrad student, Third time re-app
Top 5 undergrad school
GPA: 3.3
SMP GPA: 3.3
Excellent clinical/volunteering/research experience
Good recs

I'm really considering retaking because I could work on my timing some more and I didn;t put a dent in my Berkeley Review questions at all.

I'm applying this cycle though, to MD, DO and Carrib. If I still want a shot at allopathic schools, do you all think I should retake? I feel like there's this expectation of me to get a 34 or higher because (1) I had got that in the past and (2) I need something to "balance" my gpa. I was averaging 36-37 on AAMC 4-9 and then got a 32 and 34 on AAMC 10 and 11.

Thank you!

I wouldn't do the re-write...the 32 is good. Your GPAs are a little more concerning. Why 3.3 at SMP? Most medical schools like to see a 3.5+ at a SMP if not more. What happened there?

I wouldn't do the re-write...the 32 is good. Your GPAs are a little more concerning. Why 3.3 at SMP? Most medical schools like to see a 3.5+ at a SMP if not more. What happened there?[/QUOTE]

In retrospect, I had to work out some personal things before starting something so rigorous. Unfortunately, I don't think much can be done about it, which is why a high(er) MCAT would have been nice. Thoughts?

Thanks CodeBlu.

31M
PS - 10
VR - 10 (I never got lower than a 12 on practice exams)
BS - 11
GPA - 3.8
I believe my work/activities is pretty strong

My score is not all that terrible (except the M), but I'm worried about applying to out-of-state schools (NYC, Chicago...) with a not-so-competative score. It's especially important for me to get accepted broadly, since my boyfriend will be matching for residency in March and I need to be accepted to a medical school in the same city he matches in.

I am scheduled to re-take on Sept 10, but still debating whether I should or not...:confused:

31M
PS - 10
VR - 10 (I never got lower than a 12 on practice exams)
BS - 11
GPA - 3.8
I believe my work/activities is pretty strong

My score is not all that terrible (except the M), but I'm worried about applying to out-of-state schools (NYC, Chicago...) with a not-so-competative score. It's especially important for me to get accepted broadly, since my boyfriend will be matching for residency in March and I need to be accepted to a medical school in the same city he matches in.

I am scheduled to re-take on Sept 10, but still debating whether I should or not...:confused:

Do not re-take. You're being greedy. A 31 is a respectable score. Especially if it is as balanced as yours. I rewrote a 30, because I had an 8 in PS. Otherwise... with your GPA and your strong activities you will be fine.

I will tell you this right now... don't just decide on a school because your BF is going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, first time poster, looking for a little advice.

WARNING: I am a ridiculously long-winded, "don't know how to be concise" writer. If you're bored by my never-ending post, please feel free to skip everything and just read the "SUMMARY ZONE" ;)

I took the 6/16/11 MCAT and got a 28s 10BS/10VR/8PS

I'm not happy with the score, but it is right on par with my AAMC practice scores (27-31), so no suprises there. What did suprise me, however, was how horrible my time management skills were when I actually took the test. Ran out of time on PS, VR, and only wrote 3/4 of the second essay.

Even without the time crunch though, PS is clearly my weakest section, I always scored between 6-9 on practices...I went in to the test hoping to pull off a 9, and then score a little higher in VR and BS (on practices, my VR was always between 10-12, and BS 10-13) to at least break 30. But, I found the PS on the real deal to be absolutely killer and left the exam thinking I'd be lucky to pull off a 5 on that section, so the 8 kinda felt like a present, a bittersweet-this-is-not-what-I-really-wanted-but-thanks-anyway present, but still a present.

If I took the test tomorrow, the only thing I think might possibly change is my VR score; with my time issues, I ended up blindly guessing on 12 questions. If I had actually read them, who knows. Maybe I would have gotten an 11, but I just don't think a 1 point increase to a 29 is worth it...especially since I think there's an even greater risk that my PS would drop.

I am confident that with enough practice, I can work on my time management issues, and up my PS score to the 10-12 range...but I don't think I can do it in time to retake the test for this application cycle. I mean, I don't want to go into that test again unless I am certain I can pull off at least a 10 in PS, and be 100% on my game for VR and BS; but I'm a slow learner. I'm working full time right now, and trying to write my English thesis, so any studying I manage to do won't even be as hard-core as I would like. Less then 5 weeks of mediocre practice just may not cut it for me. What do you guys think?

SUMMARY ZONE: Should I try to retake the test on Sept 2, pray for a significant score increase and still apply this cycle? Not retake the test and still apply with my current scores to DO and lower-tier MD? (And then if I don't get in this cycle, dedicate a significant amount of time studying to retake the test next January?) Any advice or guidance about this would be much appreciated.

And sorry for going on and on....and on :-/

Long time lurker, first time poster, looking for a little advice.

WARNING: I am a ridiculously long-winded, "don't know how to be concise" writer. If you're bored by my never-ending post, please feel free to skip everything and just read the "SUMMARY ZONE" ;)

I took the 6/16/11 MCAT and got a 28s 10BS/10VR/8PS

I'm not happy with the score, but it is right on par with my AAMC practice scores (27-31), so no suprises there. What did suprise me, however, was how horrible my time management skills were when I actually took the test. Ran out of time on PS, VR, and only wrote 3/4 of the second essay.

Even without the time crunch though, PS is clearly my weakest section, I always scored between 6-9 on practices...I went in to the test hoping to pull off a 9, and then score a little higher in VR and BS (on practices, my VR was always between 10-12, and BS 10-13) to at least break 30. But, I found the PS on the real deal to be absolutely killer and left the exam thinking I'd be lucky to pull off a 5 on that section, so the 8 kinda felt like a present, a bittersweet-this-is-not-what-I-really-wanted-but-thanks-anyway present, but still a present.

If I took the test tomorrow, the only thing I think might possibly change is my VR score; with my time issues, I ended up blindly guessing on 12 questions. If I had actually read them, who knows. Maybe I would have gotten an 11, but I just don't think a 1 point increase to a 29 is worth it...especially since I think there's an even greater risk that my PS would drop.

I am confident that with enough practice, I can work on my time management issues, and up my PS score to the 10-12 range...but I don't think I can do it in time to retake the test for this application cycle. I mean, I don't want to go into that test again unless I am certain I can pull off at least a 10 in PS, and be 100% on my game for VR and BS; but I'm a slow learner. I'm working full time right now, and trying to write my English thesis, so any studying I manage to do won't even be as hard-core as I would like. Less then 5 weeks of mediocre practice just may not cut it for me. What do you guys think?

SUMMARY ZONE: Should I try to retake the test on Sept 2, pray for a significant score increase and still apply this cycle? Not retake the test and still apply with my current scores to DO and lower-tier MD? (And then if I don't get in this cycle, dedicate a significant amount of time studying to retake the test next January?) Any advice or guidance about this would be much appreciated.

And sorry for going on and on....and on :-/

Well, in my opinion and my understanding of myself, I would find that enough time to improve my score and get down the timing issues you had. Also that would be enough time for me to increase my PS score by focusing on the weaknesses.

So if you can study efficiently and know how to tackle your weaknesses, I would definitely retake the MCAT test again KNOWING, WILLING, and have a passion to increase your score by 3+ points.

Good luck! :luck:

You can read my post in the 30+ study section as well, you can see what I've been through studying for this gauntlet they call MCAT

Hey all,
So I got my scores from June 16th Test: 11 Bio, 9 PS, and 7 Verbal with an R on writing. (27R) I have a GPA of 3.81 and a science GPA of 3.91. Highest recommendation from my university's committee and tons of EC and volunteer hours in a hospital and all that jazz. Should I be retaking? I dont really think I can get my verbal up very many points (similar trend from my SAT scores way back when). I'm confident if I can get an interview that I'd be okay from there. Looking only for MD schools. Thanks

Hey all,
So I got my scores from June 16th Test: 11 Bio, 9 PS, and 7 Verbal with an R on writing. (27R) I have a GPA of 3.81 and a science GPA of 3.91. Highest recommendation from my university's committee and tons of EC and volunteer hours in a hospital and all that jazz. Should I be retaking? I dont really think I can get my verbal up very many points (similar trend from my SAT scores way back when). I'm confident if I can get an interview that I'd be okay from there. Looking only for MD schools. Thanks

You should get some interviews if you already submitted your application. Retake it if you are confident enough that you will score a 30+.

VR 7 will throw some red flags at MCAT non lenient schools.

I'm wondering if I should retake the MCAT due to my low Physical Sciences section. I'm satisfied with my overall score of 34Q. I scored:

Verbal: 12
Physics: 10
Bio: 12

My BCPM GPA is a 3.8

I would like to see my score a little more balanced, and slightly higher in Physics. Is it worth retaking? Thanks!

I'm wondering if I should retake the MCAT due to my low Physical Sciences section. I'm satisfied with my overall score of 34Q. I scored:

Verbal: 12
Physics: 10
Bio: 12

My BCPM GPA is a 3.8

I would like to see my score a little more balanced, and slightly higher in Physics. Is it worth retaking? Thanks!

No way do NOT retake. Your score is great and balanced. You'll be fine esp with that nice GPA lol

Hey all,

I think you can get VR up if you practice enough. I felt like you after my SAT (680 Verbal) and first MCAT (8 VR) but after serious prep, I got my VR up to a 13 on my second MCAT.

I say, if you can buckle down for a month or two and prep seriously, you can bump up that VR. Some schools may screen out your low VR.

PS: 11
VR: 7
BS: 10

3.1 undergrad cGPA
3.4 undergrad sGPA
1 year of post-bacc: 3.93 GPA

Starting my SMP in August...

I want to apply this cycle because I have a huge upward trend, non-traditional applicant (went to three undergrad colleges, held a full-time job for two years at my first institution, hence the poor GPA, socieconomically disadvantaged although I'm a white male not URM)

First school (2 years): 2.0 GPA
Second school (1 year): 3.5 GPA
Third school (3 years): 3.7 GPA

My EC's are standard, close to 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 1.5 years research, miscellanous community service (homeless shelter, american diabetes association), lots of other miscellaneous awards.

I think right now the biggest flag on my application is a 7 in VR. I was really struggling with PS, (usually averaged around an 8 or 9) so I was happy with that 11.

I'm not looking to go to any elite schools. From what I've heard, I have a decent shot at many DO programs, and MD programs are pretty much out of the picture. I won't be able to retake the MCAT until after I finish my SMP next summer. Not sure if I should apply now (it's a little late) with my current scores. I'm not looking to go to Hopkins, any MD acceptance will have me ecstatic. I'm a NY-state resident

Thanks for your help.

3.1 undergrad cGPA
3.4 undergrad sGPA

I want to apply this cycle because I have a huge upward trend, non-traditional applicant (went to three undergrad colleges, held a full-time job for two years at my first institution, hence the poor GPA, socieconomically disadvantaged although I'm a white male not URM)

My EC's are standard, close to 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 1.5 years research, miscellanous community service (homeless shelter, american diabetes association), lots of other miscellaneous awards.

I think right now the biggest flag on my application is a 7 in VR. I was really struggling with PS, (usually averaged around an 8 or 9) so I was happy with that 11.

I'm not looking to go to any elite schools. From what I've heard, I have a decent shot at many DO programs, and MD programs are pretty much out of the picture. I won't be able to retake the MCAT until after I finish my SMP next summer. Not sure if I should apply now (it's a little late) with my current scores. I'm not looking to go to Hopkins, any MD acceptance will have me ecstatic. I'm a NY-state resident

Thanks for your help.

DO schools. Apply to some MD schools as well in your range (look at MSAR)

You should retake it if you want an MD acceptance. You will have a good shot if you wait a year and do well on the MCAt 33+.

3.1 undergrad cGPA
3.4 undergrad sGPA

Thanks for your help.

Do apply to many DO schools but give a shot to a few MD as well. Apply to in-state NY schools like (Downstate, Buffalo..etc) you never know!

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask for advice about my score improvement but I am really worried. I was scoreing in the high twenties last summer before I took my official MCAT and got a 23 (ps7, vr6, bs10). I was working over forty hours a week, did really poorly in my physics and organic classes, and had only taken one accelerated chemistry class. Since then, I retook and aced organic, took the extra gen chem class I needed, took a couple more biology classes, and have been studying all summer with an on site KAPLAN course (still working part time). My recent full lengths have been three 28s and one random 33 in the middle on which I scored 11 on each section (the highest I have ever scored all together and individually). The verbal is keeping me down (usually 8 or 9). Is it unrealistic for me to think I could score a 36 (ps12, vr11, and bs13) based on that information? I heard schools average your MCAT scores and if so, I need a 36 to have a remotely competitive 29-30 average. Would scoring a 28 be disasterous considering it is my second official test?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask for advice about my score improvement but I am really worried. I was scoreing in the high twenties last summer before I took my official MCAT and got a 23 (ps7, vr6, bs10). I was working over forty hours a week, did really poorly in my physics and organic classes, and had only taken one accelerated chemistry class. Since then, I retook and aced organic, took the extra gen chem class I needed, took a couple more biology classes, and have been studying all summer with an on site KAPLAN course (still working art time). My recent full lengths have been three 28s and except one random 33 in the middle on which I scored 11 on each section (the highest I have ever scored all together and individually). The verbal is keeping me down (usually 8 or 9). Is it unrealistic for me to think I could score a 36 (ps12, vr11, and bs13) based on that information? I heard schools average your MCAT scores and if so, I need a 36 to have a remotely competitive 29-30 average. Would scoring a 28 be disasterous considering it is my second official test?

I don't know if I could say a 28 would be the end of it for you but I would highly suggest you take some time off. You definitely have the potential scoring in the mid 30s at least- put that work for a hold and study hardcore for the MCATs and although everyone says aim realistically, why not aim for that 40? Honestly, imo aiming makes me work harder. Also since this is your second test don't you want that 30+?

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask for advice about my score improvement but I am really worried. I was scoreing in the high twenties last summer before I took my official MCAT and got a 23 (ps7, vr6, bs10). I was working over forty hours a week, did really poorly in my physics and organic classes, and had only taken one accelerated chemistry class. Since then, I retook and aced organic, took the extra gen chem class I needed, took a couple more biology classes, and have been studying all summer with an on site KAPLAN course (still working part time). My recent full lengths have been three 28s and one random 33 in the middle on which I scored 11 on each section (the highest I have ever scored all together and individually). The verbal is keeping me down (usually 8 or 9). Is it unrealistic for me to think I could score a 36 (ps12, vr11, and bs13) based on that information? I heard schools average your MCAT scores and if so, I need a 36 to have a remotely competitive 29-30 average. Would scoring a 28 be disasterous considering it is my second official test?

please look at my post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11172429&postcount=897

I was in a similar situation as you.

I took the 8/6 administration and got a migraine during the second half of PS. The worst thing about it was I felt like the exam was doable and that I was adequately prepared, but my focus was obviously not there. By the time I finished PS, the right side of my head was on fire and I was distracted by thoughts of not being able to finish. I ate 5 acetaminophen (chewed 2 of them) at the first break, hoping for some relief. If you get migraines you know how ineffective over the counter drugs are. Half way through VR, I felt slightly better and I used the writing section to rest. I actually closed my eyes for 10 min after writing about 15 sentences for each essay (J here I come!). I had a hell of a time with BS as the passages are nearly as dense as VR.

You may be wondering why I didn't void (I vacillate on the issue), but my circumstances make taking this test multiple times difficult. I'm a non trad with family and a heavy work schedule at a demanding job. I kept thinking, "Come on! Get your **** together and finish this thing." I feel like this was my chance and I blew it.
So, my predicament is this. Scores won't be released until 9/7, and there are no seats available after this date. The only day I could register would be before I get my scores back. Should I take this again without knowing how I did, or suck it up and apply next cycle if I need to wait until January? If I can't take it for another 5 months, do I keep studying? My practice scores were right where I wanted them: 33 on 9, 30 on 11, and 35 on 10 ( last one I took). My earlier FLs were 29 to 36 ( the 29 was early on). The thought of losing the
base that I worked so hard to build over the past 3 mo. is very depressing.

Sorry for such a long post. Thank you in advance for the advice. It is very much appreciated.

I just got my score back today. It's an iffy situation. I got a 32R. But the thing is the score distribution is all over the place (8 VR/10 PS/14BS)... My Gpa is 3.48.. but my science GPA isn't as high (3.21).. I just want to get in anywhere honestly (even DO)... Can I expect to get into any MD schools this year? Also I was planning on doing a Masters Program at UMDNJ (Post-Bacc since I'm a reapplicant) in case my score wasn't good. Should I still do the program because schools won't know about my grades till November or December.

Last edited:
Let the 7/06 testers start coming in:

9 VR
10 PS
9 BS (!)

28Q

Submitted last week, so I don't know my BCPM GPA quite yet. I took a few classes before starting at my university, and got a C in a class, which I retook. With the C, my GPA should be 3.71.

While at my 4-year institution:

3.78 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA

I have great EC's, trust in my LOR writers, and have plenty of quality clinical experience.

I want to get in at my state school's, in SC, whose avg MCAT's are 29 and 30.

Should I have faith in everything else, or retake September 10th. Thanks for you responses, I don't know what I would do without this forum.

I got the exact same MCAT score. What schools are you planning to apply to?

3.1 undergrad cGPA
3.4 undergrad sGPA

Thanks for your help.

I got a 24R, 3.94 GPA, tons of clincial and other experiance, any chance? I got secondaries from all of the schools but i'm not sure what that means?

I got a 24R, 3.94 GPA, tons of clincial and other experiance, any chance? I got secondaries from all of the schools but i'm not sure what that means?

Many schools don't screen for secondaries.

With a 24R ... you probably don't have a shot at MD. For MD, you'll need a retake, although it may be too late at this point in the cycle. What did your practice scores look like?

Let the 7/06 testers start coming in:

9 VR
10 PS
9 BS (!)

28Q

Submitted last week, so I don't know my BCPM GPA quite yet. I took a few classes before starting at my university, and got a C in a class, which I retook. With the C, my GPA should be 3.71.

While at my 4-year institution:

3.78 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA

I have great EC's, trust in my LOR writers, and have plenty of quality clinical experience.

I want to get in at my state school's, in SC, whose avg MCAT's are 29 and 30.

Should I have faith in everything else, or retake September 10th. Thanks for you responses, I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Hard to say. Your GPA / MCAT combo is probably on the borderline for competitive applicants, although based on the info that you provided, you might still be competitive for your state schools. How does your GPA stack up compared with the average acceptee at your state school? What were you making on your practice tests?

You can try contacting the schools that you're interested in and seeing if they would be willing to comment on your MCAT - many schools won't give a definitive response, but at this point in the cycle, you need to start pulling all the strings that you can.

I took the 8/6 administration and got a migraine during the second half of PS. The worst thing about it was I felt like the exam was doable and that I was adequately prepared, but my focus was obviously not there. By the time I finished PS, the right side of my head was on fire and I was distracted by thoughts of not being able to finish. I ate 5 acetaminophen (chewed 2 of them) at the first break, hoping for some relief. If you get migraines you know how ineffective over the counter drugs are. Half way through VR, I felt slightly better and I used the writing section to rest. I actually closed my eyes for 10 min after writing about 15 sentences for each essay (J here I come!). I had a hell of a time with BS as the passages are nearly as dense as VR.

You may be wondering why I didn't void (I vacillate on the issue), but my circumstances make taking this test multiple times difficult. I'm a non trad with family and a heavy work schedule at a demanding job. I kept thinking, "Come on! Get your **** together and finish this thing." I feel like this was my chance and I blew it.
So, my predicament is this. Scores won't be released until 9/7, and there are no seats available after this date. The only day I could register would be before I get my scores back. Should I take this again without knowing how I did, or suck it up and apply next cycle if I need to wait until January? If I can't take it for another 5 months, do I keep studying? My practice scores were right where I wanted them: 33 on 9, 30 on 11, and 35 on 10 ( last one I took). My earlier FLs were 29 to 36 ( the 29 was early on). The thought of losing the
base that I worked so hard to build over the past 3 mo. is very depressing.

Sorry for such a long post. Thank you in advance for the advice. It is very much appreciated.

Ouch. Sounds like you got a raw deal.

It's really hard to comment on this situation. Usually the advice is that "you usually do better than you feel like when you come out of the test," but I'm not sure if that applies if you have a massive migraine. It's pretty dangerous to speculate about these things - this is especially true if you did well on your first attempt, since your retake would cause your app to be held up until your got your scores back.

Have you already submitted everything, got LORs in, etc?

I just got my score back today. It's an iffy situation. I got a 32R. But the thing is the score distribution is all over the place (8 VR/10 PS/14BS)... My Gpa is 3.48.. but my science GPA isn't as high (3.21).. I just want to get in anywhere honestly (even DO)... Can I expect to get into any MD schools this year? Also I was planning on doing a Masters Program at UMDNJ (Post-Bacc since I'm a reapplicant) in case my score wasn't good. Should I still do the program because schools won't know about my grades till November or December.

You might have a shot, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for an acceptance with a 32 / 3.48 / 3.21. Honestly, this might be a better post for the WAMC forums. I don't think your score necessitates a retake - it's clearly your GPA that is holding you back right now.

Ouch. Sounds like you got a raw deal.

It's really hard to comment on this situation. Usually the advice is that "you usually do better than you feel like when you come out of the test," but I'm not sure if that applies if you have a massive migraine. It's pretty dangerous to speculate about these things - this is especially true if you did well on your first attempt, since your retake would cause your app to be held up until your got your scores back.

Have you already submitted everything, got LORs in, etc?

Yeah. I have everything submitted (July 8), but I'm not verified. I only listed one school so I could get my app processed while I wait for my mcat score. I would rather wait a cycle than be a reapplicant, especially to my state school which is, unfortunately, more competitive. I'm really bummed out right now. All of the retake posts recommend starting from scratch, but I can't imagine doing that right now (or if it's even necessary). Also, I used every single hour of leave from work to study the first time, so any study schedule will be on top of 50 hrs/week minimum of commitments.

Sorry for the whining, it's just so frustrating. Anyone have the experience of getting sick during the exam? What did you do? Also, I would love to hear from any retakers that were reasonably prepared he first time around. Did you start from scratch?

I was getting 25s on the princeton review diagnostics and so i assumed that i was somewhere around a 28 (atleast that's what the pr instructors indicated to me) when i went in to take the exam.

Hard to say. Your GPA / MCAT combo is probably on the borderline for competitive applicants, although based on the info that you provided, you might still be competitive for your state schools. How does your GPA stack up compared with the average acceptee at your state school? What were you making on your practice tests?

You can try contacting the schools that you're interested in and seeing if they would be willing to comment on your MCAT - many schools won't give a definitive response, but at this point in the cycle, you need to start pulling all the strings that you can.

The average GPA is ~3.6. I'm competitive in all aspects but my MCAT. I was averaging around 30, but my last tests were on the rise. My last 2 practice tests were 31 and 33, so I know I was prepared. My nerves were shot when I got there, and moreso during bio. I doubt I will retake though; I'm confident in all of the other aspects of my application, and 1 month is not enough time to prepare. I will consider contacting the schools, though. Thanks for the advice!

Took the test on June 16 and my scores were
VR: 10
PS: 9
BS:9
28P overall

I was getting 30-33 on the practice tests. My undergrad GPA is 3.2 and went back to do the pre-reqs. My GPA for those is 3.7. Registered to take it again in September, but I thought I would ask if I should retake anyways. Any help is appreciated.

Hey all,

The 7 is too low for MD school. Your application will get sorted out.

I just finished taking the MCAT today. My scores won't be released until September 13th, which is 3 days after the final MCAT test date. I had mixed feeling about the test. The one I took seemed much much harder than the AAMC practice tests. I think I did ok but not great. Should I sign up and take the MCAT on September 10th without knowing what my scores are for the first test? How much should I factor the curve into the test? How many points boost does the curve usually give you? Do people usually do better on the test then they think they did? Thanks!

How much should I factor the curve into the test? How many points boost does the curve usually give you? Do people usually do better on the test then they think they did? Thanks!

This may vary but people usually score pretty close to their AAMC average (especially close to AAMC 10 and AAMC 11).

Yeah.
Sounds like you got a raw deal.
yanqin4.jpg

yanqin2.jpg

yanqin3.jpg

Last edited:
Should I retake the MCAT? 10P, 9V, 10B R = 29R
Fl resident
Cgpa 3.86
Sgpa 3.8
Above Average EC's

At this stage of the cycle, with your solid GPA, it's probably not a good idea to retake. You should have a shot at Fl schools with those stats (hopefully you've already submitted your primary application).

Was your score significantly different from your practice scores (3+ points)?

Hi guys,

I need some honest opinions here. I wrote the MCAT twice.

First time, I got 12 PS/6 VR/12 BS, then I re-wrote on July 16th, and got
10 PS/9 VR/15 BS. A composite of 34 is decent, but my problem is that I'm a Canadian, so US schools may have higher expectations. Should I re-write?...

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.