Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
131/126/130/131 (518) ... Is my CARS score an issue? The first time I wrote, I scored 127/123/126/128.
That is a great score, I don't think 126 is an issue, it might depends on the school in this case if they are really picky. Did you apply this cycle and what list of schools are you planning to apply to?

That is a great score, I don't think 126 is an issue, it might depends on the school in this case if they are really picky. Did you apply this cycle and what list of schools are you planning to apply to?
No, I didn't apply this cycle. I just started in a MSc program, so I'm hoping to apply in 2018. I'm from Canada, but I'm considering applying to some US schools. Any advice on US schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Few questions:
what is your undergrad degree in?
GPA for undergrad?
How many months did you study between first and 2nd trial for the mcat?

You need to find out why you didnot improve in your score, I wouldnot take mcat 3rd unless you do serious studying and do practice exams to see if you hitting the target score you are after?

I did a double bachelor in biology and psychology from umbc with a 3.53 cumulative GPA. So I don't think that should be a problem. The first time I took the Mcat I studied on my own for 4-5 months so there was definitely a lack of guidance. The second time I got enrolled in a Kaplan course and bought Altius exam pack. I did a lot of practice the second time for over six months. I honestly believe its a time issue for me because I missed some passages on the mcat both the times I took it. I have never taken any standardized tests before this either. I was considering getting one-on-on tutoring before taking the mcat a third time. What do you think?

I did a double bachelor in biology and psychology from umbc with a 3.53 cumulative GPA. So I don't think that should be a problem. The first time I took the Mcat I studied on my own for 4-5 months so there was definitely a lack of guidance. The second time I got enrolled in a Kaplan course and bought Altius exam pack. I did a lot of practice the second time for over six months. I honestly believe its a time issue for me because I missed some passages on the mcat both the times I took it. I have never taken any standardized tests before this either. I was considering getting one-on-on tutoring before taking the mcat a third time. What do you think?
Have you scored 125 or above in any of the 4 sections? what is your individual score?

Hi,

I'm having a super hard time deciding if I should retake or not. I put a ton of work in this summer and was honestly quite disappointed with my score. I received a 509(127/126/126/130). My reason for being disappointed is that I never really dipped below 510 in my practice and my AAMC FLs went: FL1: 515(129/128/129/129) FL2: 515(130/128/129/128). I'm really not sure what happened on test day to cause such a drop.

I bought the MSAR but I still really can't gauge if it would be more beneficial to focus on the rest of my app or shoot for a retake at 515+. I'm a PA resident looking to apply to mid/low tier MD and will also apply DO. My top choices are Jeff, Temple, and Vermont. I'm in my last year of university at a large top public research school that is fairly grade deflated (not sure if this matters at all, I was hoping this would show in a higher MCAT score as pretty much everyone I know got a 515+ :/ ). My gpa should be ~3.7 with an sgpa of ~3.6.

ECs: Varsity athlete (leadership position associated with this), 2 summers of helping with clinical research at Jefferson, honors research project (currently in progress), hospital/ED volunteering, and volunteering with a children's after-school sports program.

I'm taking a gap year with my applications and will probably return to the research position at Jeff and do more volunteering. Unfortunately my winter break is only 2 weeks long so a retake would have to take place early summer(maybe early spring).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello everyone!

So I scored a 516 (126/132/129/129). I know this is a great score, but I was aiming for a 520/521 in order to make up for the ~3.74 cumulative GPA and ~3.67 sGPA I'll have when I apply to med school. I also am asian and don't have great options for in-state schools, so I feel like my scores should be better to make up for my GPA. Thoughts on whether I should retake?

Hi,

I'm having a super hard time deciding if I should retake or not. I put a ton of work in this summer and was honestly quite disappointed with my score. I received a 509(127/126/126/130). My reason for being disappointed is that I never really dipped below 510 in my practice and my AAMC FLs went: FL1: 515(129/128/129/129) FL2: 515(130/128/129/128). I'm really not sure what happened on test day to cause such a drop.

I bought the MSAR but I still really can't gauge if it would be more beneficial to focus on the rest of my app or shoot for a retake at 515+. I'm a PA resident looking to apply to mid/low tier MD and will also apply DO. My top choices are Jeff, Temple, and Vermont. I'm in my last year of university at a large top public research school that is fairly grade deflated (not sure if this matters at all, I was hoping this would show in a higher MCAT score as pretty much everyone I know got a 515+ :/ ). My gpa should be ~3.7 with an sgpa of ~3.6.

ECs: Varsity athlete (leadership position associated with this), 2 summers of helping with clinical research at Jefferson, honors research project (currently in progress), hospital/ED volunteering, and volunteering with a children's after-school sports program.

I'm taking a gap year with my applications and will probably return to the research position at Jeff and do more volunteering. Unfortunately my winter break is only 2 weeks long so a retake would have to take place early summer(maybe early spring).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would say if you study so hard for it and believe you can hit a higher score, Since you only took once and with little more studying , try taking again if you still remember all the material . In this case it is worth retaking..

Hello everyone!

So I scored a 516 (126/132/129/129). I know this is a great score, but I was aiming for a 520/521 in order to make up for the ~3.74 cumulative GPA and ~3.67 sGPA I'll have when I apply to med school. I also am asian and don't have great options for in-state schools, so I feel like my scores should be better to make up for my GPA. Thoughts on whether I should retake?

what state are you in? , 516 is a great score and you could apply to many schools . It depends on what is your objectives, if you have a specific medical school list that you are trying to get to, then check there matriculation numbers and decide base on that, but with your score you could make to many schools

First time was last year totally unprepared out of college 491 like a dope. Second time time 497. I'm 25 going on 26 and I do not want to "settle" with DO schools (I'm not bashing by any means I'm just agreeing with you that the stats are lower). Like if I want to get into DO school it's because I truly want to follow the holistic practices. Not because I didn't apply myself. I had two interviews at DO schools last year and I witnessed adcoms that were truly looking for students to serve that area the school is located. Midwestern is a few of the DO schools that honeslty do not care where you practice medicine, and don't care about what ties you have to your home state. As long as you carry on the holistic ideology they will consider you. My thinking that I had bounced off with my counsler is hey if I can do this intensive 9 month masters program, than I do demonstrate what it takes to get through medical school. As for the MCAT I have never had the luxury of taking 6 months, let alone 3, off from everything to study for this test. I'm not trying to give a damn sob story, but I have to be working full time in order to support myself. There are a lot of premeds on here who can do both, unfortunalty I'm not gifted, but I'll be damned if I let my financial situation dictate what I'm going to do. There is no loans available to study for this exam obviously. So, what's a guy like me supposed to do?
Rant over*
More or less I'm sure there are plenty of people in my situation. I'm not pissed at society or the wealthy and I'm not looking for any pity.(I hate that sh@!t) I'm just looking for an understanding and sincere advice. I feel like my counselor is just rooting for me, she is great, but I need a harsh dose of reality. What do I need to do to get into an Allopathic school in Illinois at this point. I'm going to stick with the masters program for now but only because I know it will make my first year of medical school more bearable.
P.S. Thanks for answering back! I have not contributed anything to this forum yet. Only because I don't want to steer anyone in the poor direction. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this post. Any advice is sincerely and greatly appreciated.

I'm not going to blow smoke, so here it goes. You're delusional if you think that you have a shot in the dark at MD schools. You've taken the MCAT twice, and as far as schools care, done abysmally both times. Your GPA isn't outstanding, and schools don't really care much about your situation, they want to see academic productivity period. If you retake again and do well, around a 510 maybe, you can likely get into a DO school. In your post you said that you don't want to "settle" for DO schools....what makes you think DO schools would settle for you? They can choose from many students who have a more impressive application, why would they settle for an applicant that couldn't even break 500 after two attempts? You need to look at this situation from a different perspective, beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: 1 users
I could use some help... cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.6. Upward trend with only 1 B in my last 3 semesters (it was in physical chemistry). I got a 513 on the MCAT but my score breakdown was 129/129/130/125. I'm worried about my P/S score. I would love to hear y'alls opinions.
Edit: I am from Texas, and will be applying to the broad array that is/are Texas medical schools.

I could use some help... cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.6. Upward trend with only 1 B in my last 3 semesters (it was in physical chemistry). I got a 513 on the MCAT but my score breakdown was 129/129/130/125. I'm worried about my P/S score. I would love to hear y'alls opinions.
Edit: I am from Texas, and will be applying to the broad array that is/are Texas medical schools.
I would not think 125 in this case is an issue since the other 3 sections scored good. Not sure if specific med school has any restrictions . you might check on individual Texas med schools mcat section requirement. the 3.6 GPA is minimum for many med schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to blow smoke, so here it goes. You're delusional if you think that you have a shot in the dark at MD schools. You've taken the MCAT twice, and as far as schools care, done abysmally both times. Your GPA isn't outstanding, and schools don't really care much about your situation, they want to see academic productivity period. If you retake again and do well, around a 510 maybe, you can likely get into a DO school. In your post you said that you don't want to "settle" for DO schools....what makes you think DO schools would settle for you? They can choose from many students who have a more impressive application, why would they settle for an applicant that couldn't even break 500 after two attempts? You need to look at this situation from a different perspective, beggars can't be choosers.

Whatever you do, just please don't listen to this type of stuff....if you do, you will develop limiting beliefs about your own abilities based on the perceptions of people who have no clue who you really are and what drives you. Your ability to improve on your next try is largely contingent on the way you are viewing the test. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place. Got a 126/125/125/131 for 507. I'm a chemical engineering major at a state school with a 3.8 cum GPA, 3.885 science. Will have 300+ research hours by the end of the 2017-2018 school year, 75+ patient contact hours, 30+ shadowing. I'm a junior so I have time to retake, I just don't know if I should. Just based on these numbers, should I plan to retake the MCAT?
Thank you!

Here are my stats (C/P, CARS, BIO, PSYCH/SOC)
1st MCAT 2016 - 500 (128,125 CARS,123,124 )
2nd MCAT 2017 - 502 (126,126,125,125)

Economics major
sGPA 3.63
cGPA 3.73

Mexican-American, CA resident, fluent in Spanish.

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place. Got a 126/125/125/131 for 507. I'm a chemical engineering major at a state school with a 3.8 cum GPA, 3.885 science. Will have 300+ research hours by the end of the 2017-2018 school year, 75+ patient contact hours, 30+ shadowing. I'm a junior so I have time to retake, I just don't know if I should. Just based on these numbers, should I plan to retake the MCAT?
Thank you!
Based on the above scores, which is 507, will allow you to apply to few schools . I would study and retake ,Try to improve the p/c and BS scores .

I received my MCAT score from last mont and I am disappointed with the score to say the least since I was averaging 506-508 on practice exams. At this point I am trying to decide whether or not I should retake the MCAT after my post-bacc ends in June 2018 or if I should just apply. What are my chances of getting in this time around?

Here are my stats (C/P, CARS, BIO, PSYCH/SOC)
1st MCAT 2016 - 500 (128,125 CARS,123,124 )
2nd MCAT 2017 - 502 (126,126,125,125)

Economics major from a UC school, graduated 2015.
sGPA 3.63
cGPA 3.73

Mexican-American, CA resident, fluent in Spanish.
Work experience: ER medical scribe, tutor, food service(during undergrad).
Internship: Health coach for at risk spanish speaking patients
Volunteer: +250 as a hospital volunteer.
Numerous community service activities including organizing a local health fairs, participation in diabetes health screening initiatives, stress workshops, etc

I also managed to secure much stronger LORs this time around.

Your chances are slim may be DO school. Suggest retake after 3 months study.

Hi all.
Just got my results today and not really sure about whether to retake.
Got a 510 (125 / 129 / 128 / 128). I feel like I could definitely do better as I was not extremely confident going into the test and frankly I don't think I prepped particularly well. I'm not sure if it's enough to offset my low GPA (going by median GPA in MSAR), but also not sure if it's worth it to retake instead of focusing on other aspects of my application.

Bio major at a liberal arts college, graduated last year. Cumulative GPA 3.49, though there's an upward trend.
Chinese-American, NY resident. Fluent in Cantonese.

Work Exp: Way back, but shadowed a doctor, and helped do allergy scratch tests in H.S. (do they care about that far back?) for 1.5-2 years. Lab TA for 2 science courses for 2 years.
Internship / Leadership: Worked in health ed for a summer for a clinic that primarily served an primarily an immigrant community, also took part in some health ed fairs, biology dept liaison at my school. Was treasurer at a school org.
Research: Haven't tallied up the hours but did research for ~3 years, presented 2 posters, and was inducted into Sigma Xi.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. (I'm not really sure what schools would be realistic to aim for if I don't retake?) Thanks.

Hello all.

Took the MCAT on 6/17/2017 and I scored a devastating 497 (128-121-125-123). Retook on 9/9 and just got my scores back, 513 (130-123-129-131). I feel there is no point in retaking because I honestly can't improve in CARS and I drastically overperformed in Psych/Soc. I Would appreciate any feedback. Should I retake? Michigan resident. cGPA 3.96 - sGPA 3.93 (I am fine with going to any MD school)

Don’t retake. It looks like you’ve basically maxed out your science scores, which means there’s a possibility they may go down. If you don’t have a really concrete strategy for exactly how you’ll improve on CARS next time, it might look quite bad if you get the same or very similar score. Plus 513 is good enough for most allopathic schools! Your GPA is good too.
Thanks, I guess I shouldn't retake. After checking MSAR, schools like Oakland and Wayne state have an average accepted MCAT score of 507 and 508 (with a minimum 123 accepted in CARS), So I think I'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all.
Got a 510 (125 / 129 / 128 / 128). I feel like I could definitely do better as I was not extremely confident going into the test and frankly I don't think I prepped particularly well. I'm not sure if it's enough to offset my low GPA (going by median GPA in MSAR), but also not sure if it's worth it to retake instead of focusing on other aspects of my application.

Bio major at a liberal arts college, graduated last year. Cumulative GPA 3.49, though there's an upward trend.

Work Exp: Way back, but shadowed a doctor, and helped do allergy scratch tests in H.S. (do they care about that far back?) for 1.5-2 years. Lab TA for 2 science courses for 2 years.
Internship / Leadership: Worked in health ed for a summer for a clinic that primarily served an primarily an immigrant community, also took part in some health ed fairs, biology dept liaison at my school. Was treasurer at a school org.
Research: Haven't tallied up the hours but did research for ~3 years, presented 2 posters, and was inducted into Sigma Xi.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. (I'm not really sure what schools would be realistic to aim for if I don't retake?) Thanks.

If you considering DO track , your GPA and MCAT will do. For MD , the MCAT P/C section need to be higher. and Also your GPA is little low, Can you still take some classed to push your GPA to 3.6 and with little bit higher MCAT, then you will have a shot.

Thanks, I guess I shouldn't retake. After checking MSAR, schools like Oakland and Wayne state have an average accepted MCAT score of 507 and 508 (with a minimum 123 accepted in CARS), So I think I'll be fine.
just wanted to pop in and say that I think you are reading the MSAR data incorrectly. Oakland and Wayne have their 10th percentile CARS at 123. That doesn't mean 123 is the minimum score accepted. In fact, with a class size of 286 like Wayne, they have approximately 28 students that matriculated with a CARS score less than or equal to 123. No cutoff or minimum.

just wanted to pop in and say that I think you are reading the MSAR data incorrectly. Oakland and Wayne have their 10th percentile CARS at 123. That doesn't mean 123 is the minimum score accepted. In fact, with a class size of 286 like Wayne, they have approximately 28 students that matriculated with a CARS score less than or equal to 123. No cutoff or minimum.
Ohh thank you !! I thought it's a cutoff

Hi

I just have a question about mcat updates. I took the mcat in May and got an unbalanced 509 with a low score in CARS (123). I have already applied to medical schools and just wanted to know if it was to late to retake and send the schools the updated score.

Hi

I just have a question about mcat updates. I took the mcat in May and got an unbalanced 509 with a low score in CARS (123). I have already applied to medical schools and just wanted to know if it was to late to retake and send the schools the updated score.
I wouldn't retake unless your aamc 1,2,3 CARS are higher than 123

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Hi all.

Don't retake. Your score is competitive for mid-tier and low tier MD. The only smudge is your significantly lower physical sciences section, but it isn't below a 125 so it won't register as a red flag. Good luck!

I would take AAMC 3 that was just released....if you get a 127-128 in that CARS as well while holding your other sections steady (at or above your other subsection scores from your actual 509), then a retake might be worth it. What were your other subsection scores?

Hey guys, so I took the MCAT this past late spring/early summer and did okay on it, but it is one of the only weak parts of my application. I've had an interview this cycle and am waiting to hear back about other interviews/acceptances. If I don't get in this cycle I'm planning to retake the MCAT next spring. My dilemma is that I don't know if I should go ahead and register for a test date? There is a chance I could get accepted this cycle still and won't need to retake it, but I'm afraid if I wait too much longer then all the available test dates might fill up or I'll have to travel a long distance to take my test. What are your guys's thoughts?

Seeing your other subsection scores, I would not retake. Here is my reasoning....your science sections are great and have heavy weight from adcoms; you have two 129s which can change very easily due to the variability in content strengths on each exam; there are some MD schools that have 123 CARS at 10th percentile and only a few that explicitly state minimum 125 in each subsection; even if you retake, based on your other AAMCs it seems like you have a reasonable chance to increase CARS to 125 or so but lets assume your 129s drop since they are so volatile with the higher scaled score numbers and we will say your Bio score drops by one point as well....would you be happy with a 128/125/127/128 = 508 instead of 129/123/128/129 = 509??? My issue with this would be that you would be retaking and get a score very similar to your first attempt (which might show poor judgement), also your score decreased in 3 of 4 sections on a retake which is never good b/c it shows a negative trend. Lastly, if you retake and CARS stays at 123 or modest increase to 124, you may have solidified your true CARS range from an adcom perspective AND therefore definitely adversely effect the way your initial MCAT score is viewed.

I would not retake b/c risk>reward unless you specifically are targeting schools that state they screen out any applicant with a subsection less than 125. It might be helpful if you post your exact subsection breakdown for both AAMC 1 and AAMC 2 as well. Definitely take AAMC 3 under real test conditions if you are considering a retake.

Hey guys, so I took the MCAT this past late spring/early summer and did okay on it, but it is one of the only weak parts of my application. I've had an interview this cycle and am waiting to hear back about other interviews/acceptances. If I don't get in this cycle I'm planning to retake the MCAT next spring. My dilemma is that I don't know if I should go ahead and register for a test date? There is a chance I could get accepted this cycle still and won't need to retake it, but I'm afraid if I wait too much longer then all the available test dates might fill up or I'll have to travel a long distance to take my test. What are your guys's thoughts?

All depends how much you scored on the MCAT, and if your score is within matriculation score of many schools you applied. If not then you have to retake but make sure you can improve 4-5 points to make a difference in your future application. MCAT AND GPA are two main factors for granting you interviews

You are actually quite wrong, I know people who have gotten into DO school with a 490. The fact that this person improved is a good sign and DO schools tend to put a lot of emphasis on extracurriculars and volunteering.

Hi all,
I took my first MCAT last month and got my score back: 503: 124/127/127/125
I'm debating retaking because my practice test C/P ranged 126-128 and I also didn't really study for p/s like I ended up needing to as all my practices were a 127 in p/s. My highest practice test was a 507 with averaging around a 505-- my real CARS was way higher. I'm happy with DO, I'm just so on the fence, should I try again or stay here?

My overall sGPA: 3.48 MD, 3.51 DO
post bacc: 3.68 all science, getting second bachelors

My vote would be for the retake, especially considering your GPA and the relatively low score in Chem/Phys.

Hi everyone,

I took my first MCAT a year ago and voided. I retook this past September and got a 508 (127/125/126/130). I'm a California resident with a cGPA and sGPA of 3.7~ aiming for MD. I have scheduled another exam for March but the question of me needing to retake again has been bothering me. I have had mixed answers from friends and would appreciate your inputs. I'm working full-time at the moment and am worried that I will not have the ability to put in the time to study as hard to get a better score. I'm hoping that if you all think I need to retake than I will push myself to study harder but since I'm on the fence I'm finding it hard to study at the moment.

My EC's: 3 years of volunteering for a community service organization that provides health services to underprivileged communities (1 year of this was as leadership), 2 years as a clinic assistant in clinic that provides services for low income/homeless patients, 4 years of bench work research where I was involved with a independent project, 50+ hours of shadowing, 1 year of leadership where I helped start up a dance team, and now I'm working full time at a Urology Clinic as a Medical Assistant.

I'm not sure if my ECs will help alleviate my MCAT or if I should just retake to better my chances, so any advice would be appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I took my first MCAT a year ago and voided. I retook this past September and got a 508 (127/125/126/130). I'm a California resident with a cGPA and sGPA of 3.7~ aiming for MD. I have scheduled another exam for March but the question of me needing to retake again has been bothering me. I have had mixed answers from friends and would appreciate your inputs. I'm working full-time at the moment and am worried that I will not have the ability to put in the time to study as hard to get a better score. I'm hoping that if you all think I need to retake than I will push myself to study harder but since I'm on the fence I'm finding it hard to study at the moment.

My EC's: 3 years of volunteering for a community service organization that provides health services to underprivileged communities (1 year of this was as leadership), 2 years as a clinic assistant in clinic that provides services for low income/homeless patients, 4 years of bench work research where I was involved with a independent project, 50+ hours of shadowing, 1 year of leadership where I helped start up a dance team, and now I'm working full time at a Urology Clinic as a Medical Assistant.

I'm not sure if my ECs will help alleviate my MCAT or if I should just retake to better my chances, so any advice would be appreciated!
I personally would not retake the MCAT if I were you. Your score with your gpa and ECs are good. You just need solid LORs and write your AMCAS well.

I may be going crazy, but at this point I am looking for guidance and any feasible way of improving my application, and I need this thread to balance out my thinking. I scored at well-balanced 514 on the MCAT, but was aiming for a 518+. I have a 3.6 GPA, science major, strong ECs, no glaring red (or even yellow) flags, and was complete for the 2018 cycle in mid-August. I have not received interviews at any of the schools I applied for, including my own state school, from which I was rejected (still have not heard from 6 schools). Should I retake on the June 16th date? I believe that I have the resources to score a 518+ with proper studying, but I am unsure as to whether it is necessary. I am prepared to apply again, this time doing so on the opening week, and have strengthened other aspects of my app. I crave a strong score that will make my application stand out, but I may be deluded into the difference that it will make.

I may be going crazy, but at this point I am looking for guidance and any feasible way of improving my application, and I need this thread to balance out my thinking. I scored at well-balanced 514 on the MCAT, but was aiming for a 518+. I have a 3.6 GPA, science major, strong ECs, no glaring red (or even yellow) flags, and was complete for the 2018 cycle in mid-August. I have not received interviews at any of the schools I applied for, including my own state school, from which I was rejected (still have not heard from 6 schools). Should I retake on the June 16th date? I believe that I have the resources to score a 518+ with proper studying, but I am unsure as to whether it is necessary. I am prepared to apply again, this time doing so on the opening week, and have strengthened other aspects of my app. I crave a strong score that will make my application stand out, but I may be deluded into the difference that it will make.
What were your EC's before applying and what have you improved? What was your school list?

Your mcat score is very good, your combination is at LizzyM 69 score, I would not retake and I would try to improve GPA if you can or other parts of your application. what state are you from? I would Apply to schools that matriculate students around 70 or less

If you are still not getting interviews with that MCAT score, then there must be some other reason besides your MCAT; taking it again will do you absolutely no benefit; in fact, it could hurt your chances by getting a lower score. A lot of premedical students try and rationalize that if they are not getting interviews, it MUST be because of an insufficient MCAT score. Keep in mind that your MCAT score is only one aspect of the criteria admission committees use to evaluate a student. Do yourself a favor and take a step back and attempt to make an objective look at yourself as an applicant as a whole and try to figure out why you weren't granted an interview. At the very least, I would recommend contacting some of the programs you applied to and express your interest in the program. Maybe that will get you an interview.

Reactions: 2 users

I retook the MCAT with a score like yours before this cycle. Went from an unbalanced 514 to a well-balanced 518 and ended up having a successful cycle (I hadn't applied previously, though) with similar stats (3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, very strong research and leadership ECs, well-written PS). PM me if you want to chat more.

Wondering how good my chances are as my MCAT is borderline. I am applying broadly to MD and then specifically to DO schools. I have good EC's I think and a decent GPA. I was consistently scoring 510 or above but freaked out a little on the first section which was always my strong point so I am wondering how it hurts me or if my science GPA, science letters, and research help make up for it.
MCAT : 507 (124/127/128/128)
GPA : 3.7 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA
100 volunteer hours, 50 mentoring and tutoring inner-city middle school students and 50 in a hospital
Limited shadowing including 3 MD specialties and then DO shadowing
1200 hours doing cardiovascular research in a medical school lab
400 hours and 1 publication in a 3D printing biomedical engineering lab
1600 hours as a medical scribe
Please be honest. I know I am borderline so would like some advice if possible. Right now I am applying this round and am willing to go MD or DO.

Last edited:
Wondering how good my chances are as my MCAT is borderline. I am applying broadly to MD and then specifically to DO schools. I have good EC's I think and a decent GPA. I was consistently scoring 510 or above but freaked out a little on the first section which was always my strong point so I am wondering how it hurts me or if my science GPA, science letters, and research help make up for it.
MCAT : (124/127/128/128)
100 volunteer hours, 50 mentoring and tutoring inner-city middle school students and 50 in a hospital
Please be honest. I know I am borderline so would like some advice if possible. Right now I am applying this round and am willing to go MD or DO.
I think you should apply both ways, you have a great DO shot and a fine shot at MD, just depends where you apply kind of. If you want MD, it’s worth the application for you I think.

I think you should apply both ways, you have a great DO shot and a fine shot at MD, just depends where you apply kind of. If you want MD, it’s worth the application for you I think.
Thank you for the advice, I am just worried that the 124 will be filtered out by many MD's. Do you know if this is a requirement? (this really worries me)

Thank you for the advice, I am just worried that the 124 will be filtered out by many MD's. Do you know if this is a requirement? (this really worries me)

I had a 508 (130 125 129 124) and received three Texas MD interviews out of a possible 7 to which I applied.

I agree with the above and do not think you need to retake.

Yeah I don’t think that’s a thing.. the MCAT is literally just one page of many stories your AMCAS application tells. Plus it adds up to a really good score still so it’s not too pushy. Being at or below the median score isn’t ideal, but it’s just one below and you clearly have strengths in other areas of the test.

MCAT : 507 (124/127/128/128)

which state are you in? I know in my state your GPA is below boarder line, mcat is also below boarder line , it would have been easier if the 124 in P/S . I would think you have a small chance in MD but your chances are higher in DO. All depends on your state and matriculation numbers of medical schools in your state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.