Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TripleDegree said:
I didn't see anything about a certificate either. I just looked at my online transcript.

Why are you folks printing out your transcripts? Is there any need to turn in a paper copy of this to someone?

Also Amy - question for you - did you enroll in the student health insurance plan? I'm having trouble registering my family.

I just printed out a transcript because the last sentence of the instruction page said to "print a copy for your records". Probably not a bad idea. I didn't print my transcript out when I did the HIPAA modules, and have since changed my name. Although they HIPAA modules are listed on my transcript, they show up under my courses "To Do".

I enrolled in the WilceCare Supplement plan. I have health insurance through my husband, but the supplement allows me to use the services of the student health center without having to pay the deductibles under his plan. If I remember right, registering for the student health insurance can be kind of a pain in the rear. I will look and see what I can find out for you.

Members don't see this ad.

TripleDegree said:
Also Amy - question for you - did you enroll in the student health insurance plan? I'm having trouble registering my family.

Ok - from the student health insurance webpage (this is actually about enrolling domestic partners, but most of it also applies for enrolling spouses and dependents):

Web Registration:

Go to the Buckeye Link website: http://buckeyelink.osu.edu
- Select Web Registration for Courses.
- You will see the sign on screen. Enter your User Name and Password, and hit Login.
- Choose the registration quarter and year, and then hit Continue.
- Under Fee Options, select Insurance for Spouse or Domestic Partner (and Insurance for Child, if appropriate).
- Complete Dependent Enrollment and Student Change Form on-line.

Hope this works for you!!

I had a kinda dumb question regarding the loans and stuff. I accepted the loans that were offered on the financial aid status page, completed my MPN, and did that little online quiz that basiclly said "You must pay back these loans". The page also lists that I completed everything.

So, how exactly do they give out this money? Do they just mail a check each quarter for the amount or do they wire it to your bank account? And does our statement of account list our tuition fees and other school related charges because as of now it just lists that I paid the $25 the school asked for.

I'm going to be in Columbus on July 26th, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vomitonme said:
So, how exactly do they give out this money? Do they just mail a check each quarter for the amount or do they wire it to your bank account? And does our statement of account list our tuition fees and other school related charges because as of now it just lists that I paid the $25 the school asked for.

See this financial aid page and also this page . I HIGHLY recommend that you do the direct deposit option. You get your money faster and avoid the lines to pick up your refund check as I don't think they will mail them. The lines won't be as bad in August as undergrad students don't start until September, but they will be horrendous in January.

Last I heard, the statement of account will be updated on Aug. 1 with fees and etc.

Parking permits are now available for purchase online. See Student Parking Permits.

Unfortunately for me, I see that I am going to have to call T&P (Transportation and Parking), because they still have me listed as a continuing ed student, which doesn't allow me to purchase the permit I want. Grr. :mad: I also want to know if you sign up for the payment plan if they add it to your fees so it can come out of your FA refund. If you don't use the payment plan, you have to pay for your parking permit by cash, check or credit card.

Vomitonme said:
I had a kinda dumb question regarding the loans and stuff. I accepted the loans that were offered on the financial aid status page, completed my MPN, and did that little online quiz that basiclly said "You must pay back these loans". The page also lists that I completed everything.

I'm going to be in Columbus on July 26th, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

You have to set up a direct deposit account to receive the money. Here's how:

To Set Up a Direct Deposit Account:
Go to http://www.treasurer.ohio-state.edu/stud_guards/direct_dep_info.html
Disbursements must ultimately be received through direct deposit. However, the fees and deposits office will make an exception for Med 1’s autumn quarter disbursement.
It takes 5-7 days for your request to be processed.

As for your question about how they will itemize our dues, I'm not quite sure.

AmyBEMT said:
Ok - from the student health insurance webpage (this is actually about enrolling domestic partners, but most of it also applies for enrolling spouses and dependents):

Web Registration:

Go to the Buckeye Link website: http://buckeyelink.osu.edu
- Select Web Registration for Courses.
- You will see the sign on screen. Enter your User Name and Password, and hit Login.
- Choose the registration quarter and year, and then hit Continue.
- Under Fee Options, select Insurance for Spouse or Domestic Partner (and Insurance for Child, if appropriate).
- Complete Dependent Enrollment and Student Change Form on-line.

Hope this works for you!!

hey thanks a lot! it really helps.

i'm looking forward to this. take care

Come on people - get your butts up off the couch, and don't let this thread sink into the abyss of Page2ville!!! :)

Anyway - serious question incoming. So I'm kinda obsessive-compulsive right - and I'm fretting about august 17th. Is there any detail I've forgotten? Is there any form I've forgotten to fill out? Is there any web site that I've forgotten to go to? Is Ralph nader going to be president?

Help me out here folks - keep the tidbits coming!

It seems that the orientation schedule website hasnt been updated at all. Any news as to what we'll be doing at orientation?

logos said:
It seems that the orientation schedule website hasnt been updated at all. Any news as to what we'll be doing at orientation?

Not sure logos - perhaps our amicable MS's deaftoan or gunit could shed some light here?

logos said:

As someone said in this thread (or maybe a different one, I can't remember) - we'll all be going :confused: :scared: :wow: at the amount of info we have to memorize. :p

TripleDegree - I'm pretty anxious about the 17th, as well. What if I get there and the admissions office says that they're missing a critical document and that I can't be in the class of '09?! :( :laugh: OK, OK, maybe I'm not freaking out that much...yet.

Ok - News from the parking front. I was confused about the whole parking situation because OSU is still in summer quarter when we start orientation, so I called Transportation and Parking.

We will be able to park in the polo lot student parking without permits during orientation (they won't be ticketing those days). A lady from T&P will be in the second and third days of orientation to register us for our parking permits. Hopefully, the college will send us info with maps on where to park. I've attended OSU and I'm still a little fuzzy on exactly which lot she is talking about.

I'm stressing out, too! I have done absolutely nothing academic since December and am hoping my brain won't take too long to kick it back into gear.

So, what exactly goes on at the white coat ceremony?

And more importantly, what is everybody planning to wear?

Members don't see this ad :)
t33sg1rl said:

I got an email this morning talking about orientation. They said that the white coat ceremony is a formal dress thing. So I think that I am going to wear the suit that I wore to most of my interviews. That seems like the right sort of thing to wear to such an event.

Hm... I didn't get an email. Hopefully this doesn't mean that OSU changed their mind about me!

Do you think that wearing a suit jacket will cause conflict when you put your white coat on? Or do you plan to take off the suit jacket?

t33sg1rl said:
Hm... I didn't get an email. Hopefully this doesn't mean that OSU changed their mind about me!

Do you think that wearing a suit jacket will cause conflict when you put your white coat on? Or do you plan to take off the suit jacket?

I didn't get that email either.

kornnata said:
I didn't get that email either.

It was from my "support group" leaders - it wasn't a mass email so I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's rather funny that they call our orientation groups "support groups". I wonder if they realize that that doens't inspire much confidence in the newbies.

Well, at least you have a Support Group... this is the first I heard about any groups!

AmyBEMT said:
Ok - News from the parking front. I was confused about the whole parking situation because OSU is still in summer quarter when we start orientation, so I called Transportation and Parking.

We will be able to park in the polo lot student parking without permits during orientation (they won't be ticketing those days). A lady from T&P will be in the second and third days of orientation to register us for our parking permits. Hopefully, the college will send us info with maps on where to park. I've attended OSU and I'm still a little fuzzy on exactly which lot she is talking about.

I'm stressing out, too! I have done absolutely nothing academic since December and am hoping my brain won't take too long to kick it back into gear.

Them coming to us will make getting the new pass a little easier. I just plan on getting a C pass and parking in "the gravel pit" as I did last year. There were almost always spaces until ~10am last year. I hope it isnt more crouded this year due to the elimination of the medcenter express.

Jadie515 said:
It was from my "support group" leaders - it wasn't a mass email so I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's rather funny that they call our orientation groups "support groups". I wonder if they realize that that doens't inspire much confidence in the newbies.

I got this e-mail too. I thought it was kinda generic. There was nothing really new that we didn't already know.

t33sg1rl said:

I have no idea what the ceremony entails. But there's probably some sort of oath that we take as incoming medical students. And we get our coats. I will probably wear a skirt or dress slacks, with a nice shirt.

logos said:
Them coming to us will make getting the new pass a little easier. I just plan on getting a C pass and parking in "the gravel pit" as I did last year. There were almost always spaces until ~10am last year. I hope it isnt more crouded this year due to the elimination of the medcenter express.

I was really bummed about the elimination of the Med Center Express. I commute from out of town, so I loved being able to get off of 315 a couple exits before campus and parking in the Buckeye Lot (I have a CXC pass). I usually took the med center express back out to my car after class - It rocked!

They CLAIM that are enough parking spaces now with the addition of the new garages that they should be able to accomodate people who were using the med center express. I'm not sure I'm buying it. I saw an awful lot of med center employees on the busses in the morning and given that the CXC pass was considerably cheaper than a C pass, I don't see all those people moving up to garage passes.

I hope they send us an e-mail soon about what to expect for orientation and the white coat ceremony. I know the web page lists what time orientation starts each day and what time lunch is, but it would be nice to have some idea about what time orientation will be over. (Especially on Friday, since we will be moving that weekend.)

AmyBEMT said:
I was really bummed about the elimination of the Med Center Express. I commute from out of town, so I loved being able to get off of 315 a couple exits before campus and parking in the Buckeye Lot (I have a CXC pass). I usually took the med center express back out to my car after class - It rocked!

They CLAIM that are enough parking spaces now with the addition of the new garages that they should be able to accomodate people who were using the med center express. I'm not sure I'm buying it. I saw an awful lot of med center employees on the busses in the morning and given that the CXC pass was considerably cheaper than a C pass, I don't see all those people moving up to garage passes.

I hope they send us an e-mail soon about what to expect for orientation and the white coat ceremony. I know the web page lists what time orientation starts each day and what time lunch is, but it would be nice to have some idea about what time orientation will be over. (Especially on Friday, since we will be moving that weekend.)

Yeah, the med center express was quite a nice service, and it would be located within an easy walk of my new condo. The stuff they have been saying about the garages is garbage. The garage situation hasnt really changed since the end of winter and there was still a need for the med center express then. I think the C pass is a good option, I liked it well last year. You can park in the gravel pit (a big dirt lot for those new to osu, why wont they pave it? because its "temporary", even though its been there forever, traffic and parking is constantly in denial about everything) and a number of other places (the stadium) after 4pm you can park in the A and B parking. That being said, the C price is pretty steep, I dont remember paying that much last year.

A garage pass would be awesome, but no way i'm going to pay that much...

logos said:
that being said, the C price is pretty steep, I dont remember paying that much last year.

A garage pass would be awesome, but no way i'm going to pay that much...

Yeah - I agree with you logos. I bought the CXC pass last year because I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for a C pass. I will probably just do the C pass. I don't think I want to spend the money on the garage pass, either, so I don't think I'll sign up for the lottery. That, and it seemed like a lot of the time when you would go past the parking garages, they would be full.

I got the e-mail from my orientation group leaders this morning. Didn't give us a ton of info, but at least it included where to park!

I just saw the email that our support leaders sent. Nice to see some communication on the schools part.

I was in Columbus for the past few days to get my housing and stuff in order. First thing I noticed was that the weather was pretty crazy. Went from 100 degrees and some bad humidity one day to rain the next.

One thing that was kinda weird was that no one knew where a mattress/furniture store was located.

Does anyone know when they'll be in Columbus for the start of school? I'll be there kinda early and without a car for a few days I think. I still don't have a good idea of where a lot of the stuff on campus is. Anyone else feel that way?

Vomitonme said:
I just saw the email that our support leaders sent. Nice to see some communication on the schools part.

I was in Columbus for the past few days to get my housing and stuff in order. First thing I noticed was that the weather was pretty crazy. Went from 100 degrees and some bad humidity one day to rain the next.

One thing that was kinda weird was that no one knew where a mattress/furniture store was located.

Does anyone know when they'll be in Columbus for the start of school? I'll be there kinda early and without a car for a few days I think. I still don't have a good idea of where a lot of the stuff on campus is. Anyone else feel that way?
I wonder how many of us are in each orientation group. I agree it was nice to get some communication.

Are you from Cali, Vomitonme? One thing we always say about Ohio weather is "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change". It really has been brutally hot this summer. August is usually when we get all the heat and humidity. In the fall and winter you can go from heat to a/c (or vice-versa) in the same day.

There should be quite a few furniture/mattress stores in Columbus, but probably not a lot close to campus. Are you looking for good quality stuff or Value City type stuff?

OSU is a HUGE campus. My friend and I had my husband (an OSU grad) go with us to campus last summer before we started classes in the fall and help us figure out where we were going to park and where all are classes were and what busses to take. I doubt that we will really need to stray much beyond what you saw on orientation day (Almost everything we are going to do will be in that area of campus with the exception of the rec center and student health center). I spent most of my first couple of weeks hauling around a campus map and a bus map. I'm assuming they will do some kind of campus tour during orientation. Hopefully, the weather is nicer than it was earlier this week.

AmyBEMT said:
I wonder how many of us are in each orientation group. I agree it was nice to get some communication.

Are you from Cali, Vomitonme? One thing we always say about Ohio weather is "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change". It really has been brutally hot this summer. August is usually when we get all the heat and humidity. In the fall and winter you can go from heat to a/c (or vice-versa) in the same day.

There should be quite a few furniture/mattress stores in Columbus, but probably not a lot close to campus. Are you looking for good quality stuff or Value City type stuff?

OSU is a HUGE campus. My friend and I had my husband (an OSU grad) go with us to campus last summer before we started classes in the fall and help us figure out where we were going to park and where all are classes were and what busses to take. I doubt that we will really need to stray much beyond what you saw on orientation day (Almost everything we are going to do will be in that area of campus with the exception of the rec center and student health center). I spent most of my first couple of weeks hauling around a campus map and a bus map. I'm assuming they will do some kind of campus tour during orientation. Hopefully, the weather is nicer than it was earlier this week.

Is there anywhere on the OSU web site that you can look at a campus map, and all the parking lots? Also Amy - where exactly will our orientation and white coat ceremony be conducted? and what about the anatomy lab?

are they going to be sending out a schedule for the 12 week anatomy block ahead of time, or is that one of the things we find out about during orientation?

its getting nearer and my bp's getting steeper ;)

Also - did anyone notice that the place where you can log in to the OSU web site to check status etc has been removed?

No - I didn't notice that you couldn't log on. I'll have to check that. Good thing I saved most of the PDF files to my hard drive. :)

As for campus maps - go to http://tp.osu.edu/maps/index.shtml and you can look at them. If you are on a dialup, it takes a little bit to download. For most of the stuff we need, you can probably just look at the Hospitals map.

The White Coat Ceremony is in the Ohio Union (058 on the map), which is on High Street. If you have family coming, there is a public parking garage right next to the Union.

The Anatomy building is #038, but I can't remember the name right now.

AmyBEMT said:
No - I didn't notice that you couldn't log on. I'll have to check that. Good thing I saved most of the PDF files to my hard drive. :)

As for campus maps - go to http://tp.osu.edu/maps/index.shtml and you can look at them. If you are on a dialup, it takes a little bit to download. For most of the stuff we need, you can probably just look at the Hospitals map.

The White Coat Ceremony is in the Ohio Union (058 on the map), which is on High Street. If you have family coming, there is a public parking garage right next to the Union.

The Anatomy building is #038, but I can't remember the name right now.

thanks for that almost real-time response Amy :)

I saved some of the PDF's too, but not all, so I may need your help in case I've forgotten to download a critical file :eek: :)

that map is gonna be my lifeblood for probably the first 2 months :)

AmyBEMT said:

Yeah Im comign in from Southern California. Kind of a pain because of the time change and stuff. But I did manage to find some cheap furniture but Ive slept on worse when I was dorming.

Luckily like you said we only have to use part of the campus which shouldn't be too bad. But the size of the entire campus is pretty crazy. Im not really used to it. Hopefully I can get a better sense of the area once I move in permantently.

Hey folks. I was just flipping through here looking for rotation books when I noticed this thread - I'm a third year at OSU (just started rotations and finished Step 1! yay!) so if you guys have any last minute questions before you roll into campus, feel free to pick my brain.

I always wished someone had told me what to wear to the white coat ceremony - guys wear ties, girls were skirts/dress pants. No suit coats necessary since, well, they put your white coat on you.

And hold off buying anatomy atlases for now - some student groups will offer free/super cheap atlases if you join.

The first two years went by SO fast, and orientation is such a blur! But it was a blast. Enjoy!

Furniture store suggestion: Sofa Express outlet store
They have some really nice furniture for very cheap. Most of it just has one or two little imperfections which prevent its sale at the regular store. Its somewhere out on an exit off of 70, I can find out more specifically if anyone is interested.

That online osu map will be crucial until you get used to the place. Its a pretty simple layout though, you'll all pick the gist of it up fast. I'd try to get one of the real fold out type maps if you can, I think I carried one in my backpack my whole first year at osu. Of course, as an undergrad I was discovering at least one new building every quarter.

Anatomy labs = Hamilton Hall

From the anatomy lab windows you can see Jimmy Johns and JR Miggs (a ****ty bar that anyone who spends time around the biology, medicine, dent, etc part of campus will learn to love). When the weather is nice its going to be tough to study after anatomy....

logos said:
Furniture store suggestion: Sofa Express outlet store
They have some really nice furniture for very cheap. Most of it just has one or two little imperfections which prevent its sale at the regular store. Its somewhere out on an exit off of 70, I can find out more specifically if anyone is interested.

That online osu map will be crucial until you get used to the place. Its a pretty simple layout though, you'll all pick the gist of it up fast. I'd try to get one of the real fold out type maps if you can, I think I carried one in my backpack my whole first year at osu. Of course, as an undergrad I was discovering at least one new building every quarter.

Anatomy labs = Hamilton Hall

From the anatomy lab windows you can see Jimmy Johns and JR Miggs (a ****ty bar that anyone who spends time around the biology, medicine, dent, etc part of campus will learn to love). When the weather is nice its going to be tough to study after anatomy....

Thanks for the info. If you could get some more detailed directions to that sofa express place, that would be fantastic.

I was checking out the online OSU map, but I don't really like it. It's split in two right down the middle so it's a bit annoying. Do they have any 2-d overhead style maps at all online? I figure once I get to school, I'll go find one of those real maps like you were talking aobut.

Vomitonme said:
Thanks for the info. If you could get some more detailed directions to that sofa express place, that would be fantastic.

I was checking out the online OSU map, but I don't really like it. It's split in two right down the middle so it's a bit annoying. Do they have any 2-d overhead style maps at all online? I figure once I get to school, I'll go find one of those real maps like you were talking aobut.

Did you try the map linked on the University's homepage?
OSU Map
You can zoom in on specific areas of campus and then specific buildings by clicking. You can also search for a building by name.

Sofa Express Outlet
(614) 552-0969
5888 Brice Outlet Mall
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

You go 70 east (from OSU get on 71S @hudson ave (couple blocks N of lane)) to the brice rd exit. Its in reynoldsberg, which is a cbus suburb, so it takes a few min to get there (maybe 15 or 20 min from campus).

I got a beautiful leather couch there for ~$600. They even have the original sofa express tags on them. You just have to figure out why each piece of furniture or interest was rejected in the first place. Usually for something very small.

Great place, good luck with the furniture shopping! (btw they have more than just couches, all sorts of furniture)

hey soon to be m1s,

some random feedback to address the past few posts...

orientation schedule:
i can't remember the specifics of it anymore, but it goes somewhat like this: from approx. 8:30 am - 1pm, wednesday-friday. you'll spend the mornings listening to a speech by nearly every person on the OSUCOMPH payroll. even like an hour long presentation by IT services. you'll be hit with a huge amount of information, and i think that after 3 days, all i got out of it was finally not confusing the acronyms IP and ISP anymore. don't worry if you don't remember most of this info...it's all pretty much administrative, and helps just to give you a general idea of what you will be seeing throughout the year. whenever it comes time to actually start any of the programs (i.e. senior partners), there will be a more in-depth orientation lecture to address it. after that, they'll feed you a pretty decent lunch, all 3 days. dress casual during orientation, but you might want to bring a sweatshirt (they like to kick up the A/C full blast in meiling hall)... there were a few people in suits that first day who probably felt a little awkward after seeing everyone else in flip-flops. then, all 3 nights, there will be social activities, which are completely optional, but are a great way to start meeting your (large) class. there should be free appetizers and free/cheap drinks. the first two nights were at restaurants or bars and were reserved for only us... they were low-key and many peoples' guards seemed to come down (i'm sure the alcohol didn't hurt, either)... i remember the class acting much different on the 2nd morning compared to the first; the 3rd night was at some greasy undergrad bar that was simultaneously hosting a frat party (panini's for you columbusans), hopefully we'll choose a better one this year.
they will also give you a long list of chores you need to do, like activating the special hospital email, going to take pictures for both your buckID and hospital badge, probably getting a security background check, etc etc.
i think you're free to go home after lunch, but they hold events for a couple hours afterwards such as: a fair with booths set up by college clubs, nearby gyms, insurance people, banks...basically alot of things to help you get acclimated to life in columbus; there is also a presentation for out-of-staters on how to get residency and thus lower tuition (which is REALLY easy to do, btw); office hours with IT people where you try to set up the software to access campus wireless, and they'll be walking around if you can't figure it out on your own...stuff like that. i just remember there was ALOT of administrative stuff to take care of that first week and i would end up being done around 2 pm or so.
also a tip for out-of-staters who realize that their old bank doesn't have a branch in columbus. fifth/third (www.53.com) has been serving me well so far...they have free checking, a branch in the hospital (which is right across from the med school building), and a good number of atms all over columbus.
and after all that, the weekend will be all yours and will be MORE than sufficient to study the first couple days' material.

white coat ceremony:
this will take place on Wednesday the 17th at like 5 or 6 pm (there was definitely enough time between orientation and the ceremony if you're worrying about having time to change). it's been in different locations the last couple years, but last year it was at the ohio union, which is like 10 minutes walking distance from the Meiling Hall (the medical building). dress up for this event; this means slacks, a dress shirt and tie for the guys and dress pants/skirt/dress for the girls. don't wear a suit jacket. it lasts about 1 hr and is proceeded by an ice cream sundae buffet put on by some popular ice cream chain around here that i really can't remember the name of.

support groups:
so it looks like you guys are receiving the emails from your support group leaders by now. just to clarify real quick, someone mentioned that they seemed really generic. basically the coordinators told us to write our own letters to you... every one is different, and if it seems generic, i guess it unfortunately means that less effort was put into the letter. however, many of the leaders are busy in india, africa, etc so they might not have had all the time in the world to write a very informative one. hopefully my post and others will help you guys out.
anyways, this is basically what happens: you'll be broken up into groups of six and will sit together on the first 2 days of "lecture." after lecture is over, we'll come grab you guys in the lecture hall (each group has two med 2 leaders) and have lunch with you, answer any and all questions, help you with admin chores, and then hang out that night if you feel like coming to the social thing. also, the more upperclassmen you talk to, the more educated opinion you can probably draw from whether to choose IP or ISP. the next day will be similar and that thursday night we'll plan some sort of dinner activity and perhaps ask another group or two to join us (bbq, restaurant, etc). the third day, you'll sit with your anatomy group instead (again, 6 people) and have a different med 2 give you a little tour and take you to buy notes for the first block.

some other randoms:
-don't worry about forgetting a document or something. the staff here is incredibly understanding and works hard to help you get through anything. they've probably judged everyone accepted under a magnifying glass and if there was something big missing (like a pre-req class you didn't take), you probably wouldn't have an acceptance. and for anything else (like a document), they should give you more than ample time to get it in.

-www.craigslist.org is also a nice place to find used furniture. www.allheart.com is a cheap site for scrubs.

-don't be worried about the size of the school. every building you will need to get to is literally right next door to each other, all on the south side of campus. if you have no desire, then there will be no need to explore the other 90% of campus. the only place you might need to walk to that is far away is lincoln tower, to pick up alternative loan checks.

-you'll probably get your first 6 week schedule on the first morning of orientation (you usually get your schedule in 6 week blocks, which goes online about 2 weeks before that respective block starts)

eeeek that was long, i hope it helps though

Nice post. THanks for the information. Kinda puts me at ease now that orientation is coming up.

deaftoan said:
hey soon to be m1s,

some random feedback to address the past few posts...

orientation schedule:
i can't remember the specifics of it anymore, but it goes somewhat like this: from approx. 8:30 am - 1pm, wednesday-friday. you'll spend the mornings listening to a speech by nearly every person on the OSUCOMPH payroll. even like an hour long presentation by IT services. you'll be hit with a huge amount of information, and i think that after 3 days, all i got out of it was finally not confusing the acronyms IP and ISP anymore. don't worry if you don't remember most of this info...it's all pretty much administrative, and helps just to give you a general idea of what you will be seeing throughout the year. whenever it comes time to actually start any of the programs (i.e. senior partners), there will be a more in-depth orientation lecture to address it. after that, they'll feed you a pretty decent lunch, all 3 days. dress casual during orientation, but you might want to bring a sweatshirt (they like to kick up the A/C full blast in meiling hall)... there were a few people in suits that first day who probably felt a little awkward after seeing everyone else in flip-flops. then, all 3 nights, there will be social activities, which are completely optional, but are a great way to start meeting your (large) class. there should be free appetizers and free/cheap drinks. the first two nights were at restaurants or bars and were reserved for only us... they were low-key and many peoples' guards seemed to come down (i'm sure the alcohol didn't hurt, either)... i remember the class acting much different on the 2nd morning compared to the first; the 3rd night was at some greasy undergrad bar that was simultaneously hosting a frat party (panini's for you columbusans), hopefully we'll choose a better one this year.
they will also give you a long list of chores you need to do, like activating the special hospital email, going to take pictures for both your buckID and hospital badge, probably getting a security background check, etc etc.
i think you're free to go home after lunch, but they hold events for a couple hours afterwards such as: a fair with booths set up by college clubs, nearby gyms, insurance people, banks...basically alot of things to help you get acclimated to life in columbus; there is also a presentation for out-of-staters on how to get residency and thus lower tuition (which is REALLY easy to do, btw); office hours with IT people where you try to set up the software to access campus wireless, and they'll be walking around if you can't figure it out on your own...stuff like that. i just remember there was ALOT of administrative stuff to take care of that first week and i would end up being done around 2 pm or so.
also a tip for out-of-staters who realize that their old bank doesn't have a branch in columbus. fifth/third (www.53.com) has been serving me well so far...they have free checking, a branch in the hospital (which is right across from the med school building), and a good number of atms all over columbus.
and after all that, the weekend will be all yours and will be MORE than sufficient to study the first couple days' material.

white coat ceremony:
this will take place on Wednesday the 17th at like 5 or 6 pm (there was definitely enough time between orientation and the ceremony if you're worrying about having time to change). it's been in different locations the last couple years, but last year it was at the ohio union, which is like 10 minutes walking distance from the Meiling Hall (the medical building). dress up for this event; this means slacks, a dress shirt and tie for the guys and dress pants/skirt/dress for the girls. don't wear a suit jacket. it lasts about 1 hr and is proceeded by an ice cream sundae buffet put on by some popular ice cream chain around here that i really can't remember the name of.

support groups:
so it looks like you guys are receiving the emails from your support group leaders by now. just to clarify real quick, someone mentioned that they seemed really generic. basically the coordinators told us to write our own letters to you... every one is different, and if it seems generic, i guess it unfortunately means that less effort was put into the letter. however, many of the leaders are busy in india, africa, etc so they might not have had all the time in the world to write a very informative one. hopefully my post and others will help you guys out.
anyways, this is basically what happens: you'll be broken up into groups of six and will sit together on the first 2 days of "lecture." after lecture is over, we'll come grab you guys in the lecture hall (each group has two med 2 leaders) and have lunch with you, answer any and all questions, help you with admin chores, and then hang out that night if you feel like coming to the social thing. also, the more upperclassmen you talk to, the more educated opinion you can probably draw from whether to choose IP or ISP. the next day will be similar and that thursday night we'll plan some sort of dinner activity and perhaps ask another group or two to join us (bbq, restaurant, etc). the third day, you'll sit with your anatomy group instead (again, 6 people) and have a different med 2 give you a little tour and take you to buy notes for the first block.

some other randoms:
-don't worry about forgetting a document or something. the staff here is incredibly understanding and works hard to help you get through anything. they've probably judged everyone accepted under a magnifying glass and if there was something big missing (like a pre-req class you didn't take), you probably wouldn't have an acceptance. and for anything else (like a document), they should give you more than ample time to get it in.

-www.craigslist.org is also a nice place to find used furniture. www.allheart.com is a cheap site for scrubs.

-don't be worried about the size of the school. every building you will need to get to is literally right next door to each other, all on the south side of campus. if you have no desire, then there will be no need to explore the other 90% of campus. the only place you might need to walk to that is far away is lincoln tower, to pick up alternative loan checks.

-you'll probably get your first 6 week schedule on the first morning of orientation (you usually get your schedule in 6 week blocks, which goes online about 2 weeks before that respective block starts)

eeeek that was long, i hope it helps though

wowww - thank you soooo much deaftoan. that really was a ton of useful information. definitely helps set our minds at ease. really look forward to meeting you.

Just wanted to say that deaftoan rocks :)

Tomorrow is Aug. 1, which means we are two and a half weeks from meeting each other...exciting!

Edited: I got into medical school but can't do basic calendar math...go figure.

Does anyone know when we get our laptops? I am guessing it is sometime during orientation. I am looking forward to that for no other reason than I really need a new computer.

sandg said:
Does anyone know when we get our laptops? I am guessing it is sometime during orientation. I am looking forward to that for no other reason than I really need a new computer.

LOL sandg - me too. my laptop is hanging together with a few shoelace strings and some spit and gum. Need that new-fangled laptop as soon as possible.

Deaftoan - why would we need the hospital badge? Is this a part of PCM?

Great post deftoan!

I just bought my ECA book (brand new) for $38 bucks, so I'm happy about that. I think I'll hold off on buying the atlas and dissector. Has anyone bought anything else?

I'm eying a few things:
-stethoscope (Master classic II or Cardiology III)
-First Aid book
-Embryo book (BRS or Langman's)

But I want to wait to get opinions on that stuff.

I was in Columbus on Saturday apartment-hunting, and we drove north on High Street into Clintonville. On the left hand side, there was a big shopping center (you'll see a sign for Target) and in the very back of it, there was a Big Lots Furniture. Hopefully that will meet requirements for both budget and style...

Depending on what you need, I might have some extra furniture, too. We are downsizing from a 2,000 suare foot foot, 3 bedroom, full finished basement house in Cleveland to a one bedroom apartment in Columbus, so lots of our stuff is gonna have to go. What do you need?

TripleDegree said:
LOL sandg - me too. my laptop is hanging together with a few shoelace strings and some spit and gum. Need that new-fangled laptop as soon as possible.

Deaftoan - why would we need the hospital badge? Is this a part of PCM?

The hospital badge is needed for security reasons. Everyone who works in the hospital, from wendy's cashier to cardiologist, has one. The school asks you to bring it during preceptorships (even if it's in a different hospital) and when meeting senior partners in retirement homes. It's a good source of credibility since it clearly labels you as a medical student (as opposed to your buckID, which just says 'graduate student'). And most importantly, atleast in my opinion, sometimes when you go into the hospital after-hours to get to Wendy's, the security guards give you a hard time. The hospital badge seems to quiet them down.

I have a cardiology III, as do most people in my class, but from what I've heard, your stethoscope of choice doesn't really matter much. I would put cost at a higher priority than coolest model or whatever. Most people bought their equipment when Welch Allyn came and had a sale during the first week of school. The savings aren't outrageous... they're comparable to deals you can find on the internet (but you don't have to pay S&H either).

First Aid isn't of too much help during the first year of school... just a little if you're in ISP, and less in IP. Unless you're really dying to get one, I would suggest waiting until 2nd year starts, right when the yearly new version comes out. However, the one nice thing about First Aid is the appendix in the back. It gives ratings for all the review books (BRS, high yield, etc) and lists the pros and cons of each.

In my opinion, BRS embryo sucked (atleast in relation to the material we needed to know for our tests... maybe its better for actual board review). I haven't looked at langman's...i heard high-yield was okay. This might be something you might want to buy later when you decide to review/study for boards. The OSU embryo class is too easy to need a review guide.

Deaftoan:
Between your posts and the support group leaders' email, I get the impression we are going to have an opportunity to buy a lot of stuff during orientation. Is there anything, though, that won't be available and we should get on our own before arriving? Thanks.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful info, deaftoan!

I moved in a lot of my stuff to Columbus yesterday, and will move in for good in about a week. When is everyone else moving in?

I wonder if there's any way to get the ID's done early, to avoid the lines during orientation. . .

Is everyone getting the student health insurance? Or is there a better deal out there (for single folks). I was on my parents' insurance until yesterday, so that's another expense that I have to worry about!