*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2022-2023 application cycle for TMDSAS!

Whether you're already a Texan or you just figured out it's the best state of the 50, here's where you can learn about applying on the TMDSAS application system.

TMDSAS has gone modern this year and the 2022-2023 Application Guide is all
online, no printable .pdf to download.
Here is the link to the Guide: TMDSAS Guide

Put that link in your favorites on the browser for easy reference.

***When you are logged in and working on your application in the portal, be sure to save your page often. The site will "time out" after you've been on it for 60 minutes and you don't wanna lose 60 minutes of work!***

The application became available to begin filling in those blanks on May 2nd, 2022.
You cannot submit it until after 8AM on May 16th, 2022.
Why? So you can proofread that thing over and over. You can't change anything once you hit submit!

You DON'T need to submit transcripts with your primary application.
You DO need to have all your Spring 2022 courses listed and wait for your Spring 2022 grades to come out so you can enter them in the application.
(If you attend a school on the quarter system you may apply with your winter quarter grades.)

Please read the application guide. Most everything is spelled out for you there.

TMDSAS will be holding weekly "TMDSAS Office Hours" on YouTube where you can ask specific questions live. The first one will be May 9, 2022 at 1PM Central Time here: TMDSAS Live Office Hours

Your official mode of communication with TMDSAS for issues, problems, or questions is via messaging them in your TMDSAS portal.
This is the fastest way to get your answer, and please wait for your answer before submitting the application.

You can apply to ALL the TMDSAS schools for one application fee. Schools will have separate fees for the secondary applications later on.

That's all for this intro - time to get started!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hello all, is there a downside to not having rec letters received when you submit? I am planning on submitting at 8am on the 16th but will not have all 4 of my planned rec letters yet. I know we are able to still submit without them, but is there any stigma or downside to this?

Hello all, is there a downside to not having rec letters received when you submit? I am planning on submitting at 8am on the 16th but will not have all 4 of my planned rec letters yet. I know we are able to still submit without them, but is there any stigma or downside to this?
Letters are not needed to start your app verification, just monitor your writers & remind them to turn in soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Worth applying to a few Texas schools from OOS? 3.7/52x, but I know TX schools like high GPA so idk if I should

Should I write descriptions in shorthand, like on a resume, or as full sentences? One cuts the word count a bit, but the other may be more professional. For example, as a clinic volunteer, which description is preferred:

"Took vitals and wrote paperwork, requiring organizational ability; empathetic, warm patient service"

"I took vitals and wrote paperwork, using my organizational abilities. I also provided empathetic, warm patient service."

Should I write descriptions in shorthand, like on a resume, or as full sentences? One cuts the word count a bit, but the other may be more professional. For example, as a clinic volunteer, which description is preferred:

"Took vitals and wrote paperwork, requiring organizational ability; empathetic, warm patient service"

"I took vitals and wrote paperwork, using my organizational abilities. I also provided empathetic, warm patient service."
I like the 2nd one better. It sounds less telegraphic, at the price of only a few more characters.

Hello! For the "last time taken" box in the coursework entry, does this mean the last time taken AT THAT INSTITUTION or overall?

e.g. I took Physics 1 at College A in 2012 and then retook Physics 1 at College B in 2019.... do I mark Physics 1 at College A "last time taken" yes or no?

Hello! For the "last time taken" box in the coursework entry, does this mean the last time taken AT THAT INSTITUTION or overall?

e.g. I took Physics 1 at College A in 2012 and then retook Physics 1 at College B in 2019.... do I mark Physics 1 at College A "last time taken" yes or no?
No at A and yes at B

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I had a question regarding entering in my Spring 2022 courses into the coursework section. I am aiming to submit my application on May 16th. However, I am not sure if I will receive my final grades for my Spring 2022 courses from the university by this time. I saw that you said we have to wait until the grades are entered in, but Is there any way I can still submit my primary application and enter in the final grades later? Thank you in advance.

Another question,

Where can I find the LOR requirements (like if they need 2 science/1 nonscience) for each texas school? I only see on the application that they let me upload up to 4 letters, but it doesn't specify which type of letters.

Hello!

I had a question regarding entering in my Spring 2022 courses into the coursework section. I am aiming to submit my application on May 16th. However, I am not sure if I will receive my final grades for my Spring 2022 courses from the university by this time. I saw that you said we have to wait until the grades are entered in, but Is there any way I can still submit my primary application and enter in the final grades later? Thank you in advance.
Do not submit your TMDSAS primary until you know your Spring 2022 grades. It will cause a major delay in the processing of your TMDSAS application, much more than the delay of waiting a few days until your professors post your grades.
Get everything else done on the app and then enter those last few grades and submit.
The only exception to this rule is for students who attend a college that uses academic quarters rather than semesters. For those students, since spring quarter usually doesn’t end until mid-June, they are allowed to submit with their Winter quarter 2021 grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question,

Where can I find the LOR requirements (like if they need 2 science/1 nonscience) for each texas school? I only see on the application that they let me upload up to 4 letters, but it doesn't specify which type of letters.
For this you must do the footwork and visit the web page of each TX school you are applying to and see what they ask for.
However, you should also know that in the TMDSAS app system, all of your letters get sent to all of your schools. You can’t select different ones for different schools like on the AMCAS app.

I know we're supposed to report planned coursework in the Coursework section... will it be a problem if the courses I eventually take are completely different than what we report? I'm trying to figure out if taking Orgo II at College A in summer 2 or Orgo II at College B in fall would be best for my schedule, but I wouldn't know that until midway through summer.

Enter your current plan for summer 1 and leave it there. If you need to change or correct it later that can be done after submission of your app with the help of your TMDSAS liaison. It is one of the very few things you can change after submitting!

I read that UT Tyler will be under TMDSAS this year, but I don’t see it as an option under “select schools” in the application?

I read that UT Tyler will be under TMDSAS this year, but I don’t see it as an option under “select schools” in the application?
Read this: 2022-2023 UT Tyler

When and if LCME advances the status of UT Tyler to “preliminary” they can begin to take applications. Their next report/ruling is likely to occur in June or July.
TMDSAS will send you all an email and you can add Tyler to your list at that time, if you wish.

Last edited:
I've been really struggling trying to write about my activities and keep it under 300 characters. Would it be appropriate to use acronyms for commonly known things (like ED for emergency department, etc)?

Hello! Quick question regarding application submission. I took my last MCAT in 2017 (508) and I will be retaking it May 27th. I've been considering bumping it back to June 4th just to get that extra week! The last score I got on the AAMC full length was a 512 so fingers crossed I can replicate that or get it higher lol!

That said, if I go with the June 4th test date, should I submit my application prior to getting the scores released? If I understand right, will they verify it but won't transmit it until the scores are released? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hello! Quick question regarding application submission. I took my last MCAT in 2017 (508) and I will be retaking it May 27th. I've been considering bumping it back to June 4th just to get that extra week! The last score I got on the AAMC full length was a 512 so fingers crossed I can replicate that or get it higher lol!

That said, if I go with the June 4th test date, should I submit my application prior to getting the scores released? If I understand right, will they verify it but won't transmit it until the scores are released? Thanks in advance for the advice!
It’s all good, TMDSAS does not need your MCAT score to verify your app

Last edited:
It's the first day you can submit your TMDSAS app!

Check this advice from Texas Health Education Service: Must-do before you hit submit:

All y'all attending colleges on the semester system, you MUST wait until you know your Spring 2022 grades and enter them in your app.
You do not need the official transcript, seeing the final grades posted on your college portal is enough.

Still got a couple of questions? There will be another "TMDSAS Office Hours" Live on YouTube TODAY at 1 pm Central time. You can type your questions into the chat box.
TMDSAS Office Hours Live

I currently have 4 LOR (2 science professors with 1 that asked me to write it for him and send to him, 1 non-science professor, and my charge nurse) and I will be getting fifth letter from a primary care doctor that I work with. Because TMDSAS only allows 4 letters, I'm not sure which letters I should use because the general consensus is 2 science and 1 non-science professor but I really feel like my relationships with my charge nurse (I was a CNA) and doctor are really well and I would like to include them. Any advise on which letters I should include?

I currently have 4 LOR (2 science professors with 1 that asked me to write it for him and send to him, 1 non-science professor, and my charge nurse) and I will be getting fifth letter from a primary care doctor that I work with. Because TMDSAS only allows 4 letters, I'm not sure which letters I should use because the general consensus is 2 science and 1 non-science professor but I really feel like my relationships with my charge nurse ( I was a CNA) and doctor are really well and I would like to include them. Any advise on which letters I should include?
Include at least 2 professors

For Academic Fresh Start folks, when do we send in our transcripts? I know we're one of the folks that can send transcripts before they are requested. Are we not considered complete until we submit our transcripts?

For Academic Fresh Start folks, when do we send in our transcripts? I know we're one of the folks that can send transcripts before they are requested. Are we not considered complete until we submit our transcripts?
This question is beyond my knowledge base, please message TMDSAS in your portal to get the exact steps.

The application guide says this:

You will provide answers to four questions regarding your college career.

• Fresh Start: Have you ever enrolled in any undergraduate institution in Texas under the Academic Fresh Start Provision?
    • Note: Academic Fresh Start is different than enrolling in college for the first time, or as a freshman.
    • Fresh Start applicants will need to provide ALL transcripts and Academic Fresh Start documentation at the time of submission.

Last edited:
That answers it!

A follow-up question:

When would you say is the latest one should apply? I'm waiting for my AFS designation to show up but that won't be until the end of June. Too late?

That answers it!

A follow-up question:

When would you say is the latest one should apply? I'm waiting for my AFS designation to show up but that won't be until the end of June. Too late?
No that's fine. It's important to wait for that designation.
You can work on your CASPer stuff while you are waiting after you submit the primary.

So hey, how many of you submitted your app today?
Probably most of you are waiting for that Spring 2022 grade report.
It's all good! Keep working on it and Please Proofread!

Sorry for all the question, I'm an anxious bean!

We're frequently recommended to "tell a story" on the AMCAS activities sections, but given that TMDSAS gives such small character limits in ours, is it okay to just write a short description, a la resume bullet points? Or should we still try to weave a story into those activities?

Sorry for all the question, I'm an anxious bean!

We're frequently recommended to "tell a story" on the AMCAS activities sections, but given that TMDSAS gives such small character limits in ours, is it okay to just write a short description, a la resume bullet points? Or should we still try to weave a story into those activities?
AMCAS has a lot more characters to use, so the 300 characters on TMDSAS allows you to basically say your role in the activity and a sentence or two about its value to you.
Want to tell a longer story? When you choose your 3 most meaningful activities, you get 500 more characters.
Remember this is not a screenplay, there's nothing wrong with being direct and getting to the point.

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows how quickly the TMDSAS status under letters of evaluation is updated after a school submits their HPE packet. My university said they would submit it, but the status still reports it as not received. I don't know if I should be hounding them or not.

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows how quickly the TMDSAS status under letters of evaluation is updated after a school submits their HPE packet. My university said they would submit it, but the status still reports it as not received. I don't know if I should be hounding them or not.
TMDSAS needs 7-10 working days to log in materials, sometimes more at peak times.
Watch the status on your portal and please no hounding !

Thank you for the reply! And I promise I won't! haha

If I was an EMT for two different companies, but one after another, should these be two different experiences? If so, how do I tackle having 4 different descriptions for essentially the same activity (2 employments + 2 healthcares) + MME?

If I was an EMT for two different companies, but one after another, should these be two different experiences? If so, how do I tackle having 4 different descriptions for essentially the same activity (2 employments + 2 healthcares) + MME?
There is no limit on the number of activities you can list on the TMDSAS app.
I would recommend you list the 2 employers separately, because the dates and contact information differ.

You are allowed, as you said, to list these under both the employment and healthcare headings.
Job A - the brief description under employment should not be the same as your description of Job A under healthcare.
Job B's things will be similar I'm sure unless your role was different there.

The TMDSAS guide has a couple of hints about this: Personal Biography & Activities

Does it matter if my chronology of activities reads weird because the descriptions are truncated. Should I fix each one to make them say something clear or leave them as is?

Are OtherSci counted for TMDSAS BCPM? my research was all in chem but it says to code it otherwise.
Only the first 50 characters will show up in that truncated view of your chronology. Readers will see the whole thing when they read your app.

If you have questions about coding your courses, check here: Course Listings and look up the course by course number at your particular university. This TMDSAS index will tell you which individual courses count for the pre-reqs.
If you still have questions after using this school-specific listing to categorize your courses, message TMDSAS in your portal and make your question as specific as possible.

Even if a course does not fit neatly into the BCPM categories on the TMDSAS app, all your courses will be seen and all your courses and grades will be averaged into the overall GPA.

When filling out coursework, how would you classify a lab that has a lab lecture component attached? For instance, I took two semesters of Ochem lab and each one had a weekly 1 hour lab lecture that discussed the experiments we'd be running. In the Course Area section, would I put these down as 'OrgChLab - Org Chem Lab' or 'OrgChLL - Org Chem Lec and Lab'? On my transcript, these show up as Organic Chemistry Lab (Lecture) so I'm inclined to go with the latter, but wondering if anyone knows!

Also, it's okay if I submit my app to TMDSAS around the second week of June, right? An unexpected (and extremely poorly timed) family visit meant I couldn't dedicate as much time as I'd like to my application and my PS still needs some polishing.

When filling out coursework, how would you classify a lab that has a lab lecture component attached? For instance, I took two semesters of Ochem lab and each one had a weekly 1 hour lab lecture that discussed the experiments we'd be running. In the Course Area section, would I put these down as 'OrgChLab - Org Chem Lab' or 'OrgChLL - Org Chem Lec and Lab'? On my transcript, these show up as Organic Chemistry Lab (Lecture) so I'm inclined to go with the latter, but wondering if anyone knows!

Also, it's okay if I submit my app to TMDSAS around the second week of June, right? An unexpected (and extremely poorly timed) family visit meant I couldn't dedicate as much time as I'd like to my application and my PS still needs some polishing.
Does your transcript also have a separate entry for the Organic Chem Lecture class?
If yes, I would classify this as Organic Chem Lab. When entering the course title in the record, though, copy it exactly as it appears in the transcript.

Submitting your primary app in June is great. Once your visitors leave, you can concentrate and proofread your application better.

At my university, certificates are similar to minors (taking ~6 classes in a specific field of study). On the app guide it says to list certificates under academic recognition, but if I'm still in the process of pursuing the certificate, how do I list it? What do I put under "date received"?

At my university, certificates are similar to minors (taking ~6 classes in a specific field of study). On the app guide it says to list certificates under academic recognition, but if I'm still in the process of pursuing the certificate, how do I list it? What do I put under "date received"?
If the end date of your certificate is before October 2022, put that and it can go in your current activities

If the end date of your certificate is before October 2022, put that and it can go in your current activities
What if it isn't? Should it go under future activities instead of academic recognition? Thanks for the help!

I'm a bit confused about which schools do and do not pre-screen before releasing secondaries. Can anyone help with this? Also, if there are schools that make secondaries available as soon as one submits their primary application, will the secondary be emailed, or do we have to go to see specific website or portal to access it? Thanks for any help!

I'm a bit confused about which schools do and do not pre-screen before releasing secondaries. Can anyone help with this? Also, if there are schools that make secondaries available as soon as one submits their primary application, will the secondary be emailed, or do we have to go to see specific website or portal to access it? Thanks for any help!
Dell is the main one that is selective about secondaries and reads your primary first before deciding. I think U of Houston screens for mission. The others pretty much send secondaries to everyone who transmits the TMDSAS primary.
All the schools will email you, even A & M is doing it this year (they previously relied on you to set up an account.)
Follow the directions in the email. Some schools want you to set up a login to their portal, some you can simply email back your essays.
Keep all those new portal logins & passwords safe somewhere!

Last of all, your primary needs to be verified by TMDSAS and transmitted to schools first.

Dell is the main one that is selective about secondaries and reads your primary first before deciding. I think U of Houston screens for mission. The others pretty much send secondaries to everyone who transmits the TMDSAS primary.
All the schools will email you, even A & M is doing it this year (they previously relied on you to set up an account.)
Follow the directions in the email. Some schools want you to set up a login to their portal, some you can simply email back your essays.
Keep all those new portal logins & passwords safe somewhere!

Last of all, your primary needs to be verified by TMDSAS and transmitted to schools first.

Thank you! So no schools will send a secondary until the primary is transmitted? My app is still being processed, but I started to wonder if I was wrong to be waiting to hear word about all secondaries, or if there were some I should already be accessing and working on.

Is there any sort of hub/resource where secondary prompts for TDSAS schools already exist, allowing one to begin pre-writing secondaries? Do most people just wait to get the current and accurate prompts from the schools before working on secondaries?

Thank you! So no schools will send a secondary until the primary is transmitted? My app is still being processed, but I started to wonder if I was wrong to be waiting to hear word about all secondaries, or if there were some I should already be accessing and working on.

Is there any sort of hub/resource where secondary prompts for TDSAS schools already exist, allowing one to begin pre-writing secondaries? Do most people just wait to get the current and accurate prompts from the schools before working on secondaries?
Follow all the 2032-2023 TMDSAS school threads and you will see the fresh prompts as they become known.
So far this year we know 5 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.