*Official* transition advice/procedures thread for accepted---> ms1s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trunksvegeta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any accepted students or current med students could suggest a list of "suggested" things that accepted students do prior to moving to wherever we end up going to school. For example changes that u wish u had of done earlier or helped out with the transition to a possible new city. A couple of things that came to my mind besides the big stuff like living/rent is transfer of medications to pharmacies...transfer of medical records from doc to doc....transfer of phone plans?....any others? Sorry for the rambling, perhaps there is a previous thread on this and I apologize if this has been repeated...just wanted to get an idea of what little things i should be keeping in mind before school starts in Aug. :p

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is an EXCELLENT idea. Thank you!

What about car registration/transportation issues... banks...PETS! ... umm.. significant others...

I don't have much to contribute at the moment, but I will come back with some suggestions as experience teaches me... Looking forward to your responses!

Great idea for a thread.

I'll start (seeing as I've moved at least 7 or 8 times in the past 11 years or so).

1. When comparing rent, make sure you figure out how much utilities will be and add this to the rent total. Some places include heat/hot water/cable in the rent so this can be considerable. This is especially important in cold or hot weather places where it's not unusual to pay $200 a month in heating/AC bills.

2. When looking for a place to rent, if noise bothers you (ie. studying, sleeping, etc.) make sure you don't worry too much about loud neighbors (they'll probably be in bed by a certain hour any way and you can always call the landlord or the police if it's too late at night). However, make sure that your apartment doesn't face a busy street, is near a freeway, or near railroad tracks. There is nothing you can do about these things except wear earplugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thread idea.

I have a question about med research. When do MSs start looking for research positions (if they're interested in that)? Do they kind of take it easy their first year? or do they just jump right on in?

skreenin said:
Awesome thread idea.

I have a question about med research. When do MSs start looking for research positions (if they're interested in that)? Do they kind of take it easy their first year? or do they just jump right on in?

also wondering about this

mdpdgirl said:
I would ask the research contact for MD at your school. Some schools I interviewed at definitely encouraged people to jump right in and others recommend getting used to med school first.
Are we talking about being a researcher or research subject here?

I guess my main worry is just what comes next. I've got my financial aid stuff in, and now I'm just waiting for further instructions...I know that I have to submit my transcripts once my degree is posted, but other than that what do I do?

Great thread....look forward to following it.

Obviously, getting financial aid stuff taken care of is a big one (I still need to do this for a school that requires more than the FAFSA).

Find a a new doctor, pharmacy, bank, hairstylist, etc.

Get basic supplies for home/school...

Get organized (this is a big one for me!) I'd like to go through all of my stuff before the fall and get rid of stuff I don't need to take w/ me to school.

I feel like there are a million things to do, but that's all I can think of at the moment!! I know the fall will be here before we know it, but right now it feels so far away!!

Enjoy your time before medical school....this is the best advice that I got from a friend of mine who is in med school.....she said to enjoy this time because it will go by so quickly, and when you're in med school you are so busy that you don't really appreciate the fact that you are in med school, b/c you are concentrating on getting by day by day...I thought this was wise advice....

So congrats to everyone who is preparing for this transition!

Just my .02 cents!

Good luck! :luck:

man- I just went to get my physical exam done.

First visit to the doctor's office by myself with my own work insurance and I was almost scammed. They tried to make me pay a deductible of 250 dollars so I could do a 500 dollar physical. I like wtf! 500 dollars to just have a doctor check off and sign a piece of paper that I was okay.

I put up a big fight and made damn sure that my insurance covered me.

If you have Blue Cross blue shield PPO plan- you're covered 150 dollars for a physical for each 24 months. Double check your insurance coverage for a physical exam cuz some doctor office staffs will try to screw you over. Some schools even offer to do a physical at the student health's office for like a hundred dollars. New York Med offers one for 125.

I was able to decline the bloodwork even tho the bitc-es insisted it was required and I was able to talk to the doctor. Got it done for under the 150 too.

If any of you are moving to Boston or nearby with a car, PM me. There's a rather elaborate path you have to follow to get your car a parking permit. Especially if you're coming from a state where car inspections are a mystery.

I moved to Boston from Peoria, Illinois. I was like, "what the hec are those stickers on people's windshields? What's a car inspection?" Here, to the best of my ability, is a recount of what you have to do to park on the street in Boston or nearby neighborhoods:

1) get car insurance in Massachusetts

2) go to the RMV (the online site didn't work for me but you can try it...Google mass rmv) and get your Massachusetts drivers license and new plates for your car. I think you need to bring proof of insurance for this.

3) Go to a gas station that has a sign up that says it does inspections. They'll check your blinkers, windshield wipers, breaks, exhaust emissions, etc. If your car is in good shape, it'll probably pass. My car always passed. If you have any lights out or if your car is burning oil, you will have to make car repairs before you're allowed to drive it in Massachusetts. Once your car passes its inspection, the gas station will probably help you put your new plates on and give you a sticker on your windshield. Remember to get your car re-inspected every year! Some states only do inspections every 2 years (New Jersey) but Massachusetts requires it annually. If your car is caught with an expired inspection sticker it's a ticket for you PLUS a point on your license. So stay on top of that. My New Jersey friend didn't.

4) Go to your local town hall (Boston) or parking office (Somerville) and get a parking permit. You'll need to bring proof of residency with you. A copy of your rental lease (with your name on it!) and a bill in your name at your address should do the trick. Actually, just a lease has always worked for me, but that's not what the rule says.

Finally, if you live in Cambridge or Somerville LOOK OUT for snow emergencies or street cleaning days. If your car is parked in the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll get ticketed and towed. If you move to Somerville, don't park on the even side of the street when it snows. The snow emergency rules aren't posted anywhere and the city LOVES to tow and ticket cars. I was fortunate--I only got ticketed during the first big snowstorm in Somerville. You can sign up for email service through the Boston Globe to alert you the day before your street has street cleaning. I find that very helpful.

Basically, if you don't need a car, don't bring it. It's an ordeal.

ads99 said:
If any of you are moving to Boston or nearby with a car, PM me. There's a rather elaborate path you have to follow to get your car a parking permit. Especially if you're coming from a state where car inspections are a mystery.

I moved to Boston from Peoria, Illinois. I was like, "what the hec are those stickers on people's windshields? What's a car inspection?" Here, to the best of my ability, is a recount of what you have to do to park on the street in Boston or nearby neighborhoods:

2) go to the RMV (the online site didn't work for me but you can try it...Google mass rmv) and get your Massachusetts drivers license and new plates for your car. I think you need to bring proof of insurance for this.

3) Go to a gas station that has a sign up that says it does inspections. They'll check your blinkers, windshield wipers, breaks, exhaust emissions, etc. If your car is in good shape, it'll probably pass. My car always passed. If you have any lights out or if your car is burning oil, you will have to make car repairs before you're allowed to drive it in Massachusetts. Once your car passes its inspection, the gas station will probably help you put your new plates on and give you a sticker on your windshield. Remember to get your car re-inspected every year! Some states only do inspections every 2 years (New Jersey) but Massachusetts requires it annually. If your car is caught with an expired inspection sticker it's a ticket for you PLUS a point on your license. So stay on top of that. My New Jersey friend didn't.

4) Go to your local town hall (Boston) or parking office (Somerville) and get a parking permit. You'll need to bring proof of residency with you. A copy of your rental lease (with your name on it!) and a bill in your name at your address should do the trick. Actually, just a lease has always worked for me, but that's not what the rule says.

Finally, if you live in Cambridge or Somerville LOOK OUT for snow emergencies or street cleaning days. If your car is parked in the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll get ticketed and towed. If you move to Somerville, don't park on the even side of the street when it snows. The snow emergency rules aren't posted anywhere and the city LOVES to tow and ticket cars. I was fortunate--I only got ticketed during the first big snowstorm in Somerville. You can sign up for email service through the Boston Globe to alert you the day before your street has street cleaning. I find that very helpful.

All true!! My roommate got her car towed because she was on vacation for a week, and one of the days during that week happened to be street cleaning days.

Also, I don't know about other states, but the registration used to renew automatically if your license was in good standing, but that's not the case anymore.....my registration expired, and I ended up getting towed + a hundred dollar ticket. I fought the ticket, but otherwise, it would have translated into points on my license. True, also, about staying on top of your inspection sticker.

At BU, they suggest that you don't have a car the first two years, though you will need them for the second two for rotations.

I think having a car in the city is manageable (unlike a place like NY), but it does require planning ahead!

Maybe this is a dumb question...but is the best way to get furniture by ordering online from somewhere nice n cheap like Ikea? Any suggestions for places or better ways to furnish an apartment??

the1111gal said:
Maybe this is a dumb question...but is the best way to get furniture by ordering online from somewhere nice n cheap like Ikea? Any suggestions for places or better ways to furnish an apartment??

after moving several times over the last couple of years, i can say that CRAIGSLIST.ORG is a great resource!!! virtually every major us city has a site.

you can find people selling everything, including cheap furniture (if you don't mind second hand stuff). they even have a free section, where you can find lots of good quality items that people want to get rid of in a rush. you can also use the site to find affordable apartments, often with photos posted. i found two of my former apartments through this site.

lulubean said:
after moving several times over the last couple of years, i can say thet craigslist.com is a great resource!!! virtually every major us city has a site.

you can find people selling everything, including cheap furniture (if you don't mind second hand stuff). they even have a free section, where you can find lots of good quality items that people want to get rid of in a rush. you can also use the site to find affordable apartments, often with photos posted. i found two of my former apartments through this site.

it is actually craigslist.org :thumbup:

no it was my fault, I left out the "s"

or you can just get an apartment that has an off-street parking space. they are available in boston and surrounding towns at rents a med student can afford- you just have to look diligently. alternatively, there are some parts of boston where you can park on the street without a permit. jamaica plain is this way and I'm sure others are too. you don't need a car in boston but its not like new york- you can get a parking situation reasonably.

ads99 said:

When looking for a place to rent, if noise bothers you (ie. studying, sleeping, etc.) make sure you don't worry too much about loud neighbors (they'll probably be in bed by a certain hour any way and you can always call the landlord or the police if it's too late at night).

Not always true. It depends on where you are. If you're living in certain college towns your neighbors could be very unreceptive to requests for quiet and you can forget about calling the cops about noise. They only do something about it if it's past 3 or 4 in the morning and even then sometimes they do nothing at all. This can be very frustrating. Always ask about the noise level (and preferably, look for someone living in the apartment complex walking around and ask them).