*** Official UConn C/O 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

are they done sending interviews?

I really hope not. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard UConn doesn't do post December interviews? Can someone confirm or deny this?

I've read this elsewhere as well. FWIW, I think it's true.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard UConn doesn't do post December interviews? Can someone confirm or deny this?

I can't confirm or deny, but I don't think this is the case. The deadline for application is December 1st, so theoretically someone could apply November 30th, and if they don't do post December I don't think they would have people apply so late. But like I said I'm not sure so I could be wrong.

They probably only do it if they need to keep filling the class. But UConn probably gets enough people to matriculate from their pre-Dec interviews that it's not an issue for them. That'd be my guess

Apparently they don't interview after December. I spoke with an alum who also stated this b

I can't confirm or deny, but I don't think this is the case. The deadline for application is December 1st, so theoretically someone could apply November 30th, and if they don't do post December I don't think they would have people apply so late. But like I said I'm not sure so I could be wrong.
I can think of one reason: da benjamins.

i called, they said typically post december interviews are the waitlist people, but rn its only mid october, they're still sending out interviews, so we don't all have to panic just yet lol

Reactions: 1 users
My 2 cents on UConn.

I was a NJ resident and had a pre-December invite and eventual acceptance. They definitely try to recruit qualified OOS candidates, but not many end up going. That's why it seems like UConn isn't that OOS friendly, but it actually is IF you are qualified. You definitely need to have higher stats if you are OOS instead of in-state or from NE region. They do have regional bias though in my opinion. A friend of mine who applied last cycle with CA residency, 3.8 GPA, 26 DAT got into Harvard, Columbia, Penn, UCSF, UCLA, UNC OOS, but did not get anything at UConn (not even an interview).

Not many OOS people end up going because their state school is cheaper and better (UCSF, UCLA), or because they can afford to go to a better, more expensive private school (Harvard, Columbia, Penn). UConn definitely offers a great deal for its price though and was one of my top-choices.

Post-Dec interviews are a more rare occurrence at UConn, and with the small class size and high caliber of students that they do interview, it's not necessary for them to recruit more applicants post-december with their strong candidates on the waitlist. UConn sends out acceptances to OOS residents more than most other public schools, and more of them will decline an acceptance than the # of in-state and NE residents that are also accepted because it's NE's only public dental school. Much of the declining from OOS students also comes down to factors like choosing their own state instead of moving across the country.

For me, my state school was actually more expensive than UConn coming in OOS because UConn allows you to change residency after 1 year, had a lower tuition cost for in-state than my state school, and provides grants and their own university loans with low interest rates to students. UConn also offers A LOT of financial aid in terms of their grants compared to other schools because of the huge funding the state of CT puts in to their dental school. Back when I was deciding which school to ultimately attend, I called the schools I was considering and spoke to someone in their financial aid department who would give me a history of how much in grants they would provide for students in past years. Columbia offered at most 10k a year in grants to students whereas UConn offered 25k+, which is sad considering the difference in costs of the 2 . Combined with the already low cost of tuition at UConn and easily changing to in-state after 1 year, the Pass/Fail medical school curriculum, small class size, and the specialization benefits of attending UConn, UConn was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Post-Dec interviews are a more rare occurrence at UConn, and with the small class size and high caliber of students that they do interview, it's not necessary for them to recruit more applicants post-december with their strong candidates on the waitlist. UConn sends out acceptances to OOS residents more than most other public schools, and more of them will decline an acceptance than the # of in-state and NE residents that are also accepted because it's NE's only public dental school. Much of the declining from OOS students also comes down to factors like choosing their own state instead of moving across the country.

For me, my state school was actually more expensive than UConn coming in OOS because UConn allows you to change residency after 1 year, had a lower tuition cost for in-state than my state school, and provides grants and their own university loans with low interest rates to students. UConn also offers A LOT of financial aid in terms of their grants compared to other schools because of the huge funding the state of CT puts in to their dental school. Back when I was deciding which school to ultimately attend, I called the schools I was considering and spoke to someone in their financial aid department who would give me a history of how much in grants they would provide for students in past years. Columbia offered at most 10k a year in grants to students whereas UConn offered 25k+, which is sad considering the difference in costs of the 2 . Combined with the already low cost of tuition at UConn and easily changing to in-state after 1 year, the Pass/Fail medical school curriculum, small class size, and the specialization benefits of attending UConn, UConn was a no brainer for me.

Good insight! Thanks for taking the time to write that!! Not sure if you could answer this, but did it seem like most OOS do get accepted after the interview? Not necessarily on December 1 but in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
The entire cohort interviewing the day I was were OOS students. Including myself, I know 2/7 got an acceptance but I don't know if any of the other people were accepted and declined or were not accepted period. I'm also not sure how reflective that is of all OOS students accepted.

Verrrrry funny UConn, you can send me an invite now.

Reactions: 2 users
The entire cohort interviewing the day I was were OOS students. Including myself, I know 2/7 got an acceptance but I don't know if any of the other people were accepted and declined or were not accepted period. I'm also not sure how reflective that is of all OOS students accepted.
That's fair. Figured it was worth a shot to ask. Thank you!

UConn offered 25k+

A few questions:
1. Is this 25K per year or total?
2. Is this need-based?
3. Do you have to apply for this or are you automatically considered for it/offered it with your letter of acceptance?

A few questions:
1. Is this 25K per year or total?
2. Is this need-based?
3. Do you have to apply for this or are you automatically considered for it/offered it with your letter of acceptance?

It is provided by the school automatically, the 25k+ is renewed every year automatically, they won't tell you how much you'll be receiving at the time of acceptance because they won't have the next school year's budget yet, and it is need-based dependent. You will only find out how much you'll be receiving with certainty by the summer before classes begin when they mail out the financial packages. That is why research is pertinent before choosing the dental school you will attend. The grants are reflective of their budget for that year and the number of students receiving the grants. Previously, the OOS students in-need were provided 30k+ and in-state students were provided 20k+. It is also dependent on how much you'll be needing to take out in loans, which is why it is dependent on if you're in-state, NE, or OOS. It is also beneficial that the university offers its own additional loans at a 5% interest loan rate with a longer grace period. These loans are in addition to the direct loans and help avoid grad-plus loans. They're also need-based dependent. The state of Connecticut is one of a kind, and it fully supports the dental school. In addition to the state's support, it also doesn't hurt that the dental school receives all of the perks that the medical school does.

Last edited:
It is provided by the school automatically, the 25k+ is renewed every year automatically, they won't tell you how much you'll be receiving at the time of acceptance because they won't have the next school year's budget yet, and it is need-based dependent. You will only find out how much you'll be receiving with certainty by the summer before classes begin when they mail out the financial packages. That is why research is pertinent before choosing the dental school you will attend. The grants are reflective of their budget for that year and the number of students receiving the grants. Previously, the OOS students in-need were provided 30k+ and in-state students were provided 20k+. It is also dependent on how much you'll be needing to take out in loans, which is why it is dependent on if you're in-state, NE, or OOS. It is also beneficial that the university offers its own additional loans at a 5% interest loan rate with a longer grace period. These loans are in addition to the direct loans and help avoid grad-plus loans. They're also need-based dependent. The state of Connecticut is one of a kind, and it fully supports the dental school. In addition to the state's support, it also doesn't hurt that the dental school receives all of the perks that the medical students do.
I don't want to be hearing any of this. Salt on the wound I tell yah.

@Kittenz thx for the info. Any merit-based grants? Also how do you define need- everyone pretty much will be funding their education through loans unless you have wealthy parents....

I don't want to be hearing any of this. Salt on the wound I tell yah.

inb4 Weakfart gets a call from UConn, is invited, kills it in the interview, and is given a full ride to UConn.

So are you saying that there is no hope if we haven't heard anything? Darn.
No that's not what I'm saying at all. I have no idea if there's hope or not. I'm just saying I don't want to hear about everyone talking about how great a school is if they don't want me there haha. I made the Marquette thread and they didn't invite me so I was like oooook bye haha

@Kittenz thx for the info. Any merit-based grants? Also how do you define need- everyone pretty much will be funding their education through loans unless you have wealthy parents....

inb4 Weakfart gets a call from UConn, is invited, kills it in the interview, and is given a full ride to UConn.

Merit-based scholarships alone are rare. However, UConn has been known to provide scholarships to exceptional students that have been active in the university's pipeline programs, which are directed at preparing students who intend to give back by working in underserved communities in Connecticut, and that have diverse backgrounds that motivate them. The scholarship is intended to advance those students' means to do so.

Need-based is dependent on the reported income of the parents. That is why it is necessary to provide parental information on FAFSA even though it is not required to receive financial aid in terms of loans. Although you'll be considered "independent", parental information is the only way they can gauge the student's need.

Totally makes since. So were you rejected by Marquette?
No that's not what I'm saying at all. I have no idea if there's hope or not. I'm just saying I don't want to hear about everyone talking about how great a school is if they don't want me there haha. I made the Marquette thread and they didn't invite me so I was like oooook bye haha

Merit-based scholarships alone are rare. However, UConn has been known to provide scholarships to exceptional students that have been active in the university's pipeline programs, which are directed at preparing students who intend to give back by working in underserved communities in Connecticut, and that have diverse backgrounds that motivate them. The scholarship is intended to advance those students' means to do so.

Need-based is dependent on the reported income of the parents. That is why it is necessary to provide parental information on FAFSA even though it is not required to receive financial aid in terms of loans. Although you'll be considered "independent", parental information is the only way they can gauge the student's need.

Thank you Kittenz.

interview invite for this monday

Reactions: 2 users
interview invite for this monday

Try not to form an opinion of the environment from just Monday. Us D1's have our last exam of the many exams we've needed to take over the past couple days, so if you don't see enthusiastic D1's, there's a reason for that! Check back in on Tuesday! ;)

Anyone know the typical acceptance rate for OS students that interview? I loved my interview and in fact Uconn is my first choice above all schools. I think I made it pretty clear to admissions as well.

Anyone know the typical acceptance rate for OS students that interview? I loved my interview and in fact Uconn is my first choice above all schools. I think I made it pretty clear to admissions as well.
In the interview the dean said that they accept the same number of OOS, IS, and NE residents, in that they will accept (theoretically) 30 OOS, 30 IS, and 30 NE residents. Yet why the enrolled numbers do not reflect this is because Connecticut residents are more likely to accept (for financial reasons, and location/move).

Has anyone's AADSAS status under UConn changed from "Invited to Interview" after interviewing?

Congrats on all who interviewed. Since UConn's done with interviews as opposed to most other schools, it's time to celebrate this especially short time in limbo!

Congrats on all who interviewed. Since UConn's done with interviews as opposed to most other schools, it's time to celebrate this especially short time in limbo!

limbo1.jpg

Has anyone's AADSAS status under UConn changed from "Invited to Interview" after interviewing?
Yup - mine changed when I was invited in. It still says "Invited for Interview" even though I interviewed back in September.

Yup - mine changed when I was invited in. It still says "Invited for Interview" even though I interviewed back in September.

Thanks, but I was asking if it changed after the interview.

FOUR MORE DAYS! Super excited for all of you. Hope SDN brings plenty of acceptances!!!

FOUR MORE DAYS! Super excited for all of you. Hope SDN brings plenty of acceptances!!!
Ahh thanks! I hope so too :xf:. Never thought I'd be this hopeful to move to Connecticut haha. I thought you weren't applying this cycle?

Ahh thanks! I hope so too :xf:. Never thought I'd be this hopeful to move to Connecticut haha. I thought you weren't applying this cycle?

I'm applying next year - But I want to support my fellow SDNers!

Last edited: