Oh wow, I feel kind of old...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murfettie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I set up a fb group for the school I want to go to.
I suddenly realized how young my future classmates will be.
They graduated from high school when I graduated from college...

I socialize with people a few years older than me normally, so I'm normally the young one. Now I feel pretty old.

A little worried..

Members don't see this ad.

I socialize with people a few years older than me normally, so I'm normally the young one. Now I feel pretty old.

A little worried..

Ah, time to play the "who's older" game. ;)

If I've done the math right, my future classmates graduated from high school when I was already five years out from undergrad, so no, you're not old.

Who's next? :)

I'm actually looking forward to being the denmother! I've always been really maternal so I don't feel so worried about the age differences.

Age is just a number. What I'm worried about is having the annoying pre-med mentality being carried over into med school. I really want mature kids around me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Age is just a number. What I'm worried about is having the annoying pre-med mentality being carried over into med school. I really want mature kids around me.

Couldn't say it better, therefore I quote. In all honesty age is relative I'm fine being a good deal older than other students. However since I look so darn young most people believe I graduated college early. For example on my 25th bday I was carded when I went to an R-rated flick., epic win!

I'll be 38 when I enter med school. By the way, what are you worried about? I'd like to think that medical school is an experience that transcends age....I wouldn't worry about it mate

A little worried..

if it makes you feel better, the last time i took chemistry was when my current chemistry classmates were being born. :eek:

i know i'm not OLD OLD... I'll be 26, and turning 27 a few months after school starts..

Okay. I just don't know what am I worried about.
I guess it's just I haven't talked to people who are younger than me for a long time now, really. I am having social anxiety.

ALSO, I'm kind of allergic to booze. I'd rather do yoga, cook than going out.
I don't know what I'm worried about.. Nothing.. really.. maybe I'm just psyching myself out..

Actually.. maybe my cooking will make me exceedingly popular..

I'll be 28 when I start this fall. I actually rushed my prereqs, worried that by 29 I'd be too old to start med school. SDN cured me of that misconception :)

I figure if I need to I can pass as a little younger anyway. Not like I'm going to be out drinking like mad during med school though... I think that's a big pro of being older. We're (usually) a little more grounded by the time we hit med school.

I will be turning 31 soon after starting this year. Don't worry about it. Being non-trad applicant gave you a leg up in the eyes of most admissions I suspect. As you get to know your class, you will likely be surprised how many of us old folks are truly in there.

I have seen the traditional med students finally take on a social life feeling like they have made it and can finally partake in the stereotypical college experience. Most non-trads have either gotten this out of our systems or have grown beyond it.

Again, you will be surprised how many non-trads there are in the class. Statistically there have been quite an increase in recent years supposedly.

As an intern, I am working with medical students who weren't even born when I graduated high school. No kidding.

Ah, time to play the "who's older" game. ;)

If I've done the math right, my future classmates graduated from high school when I was already five years out from undergrad, so no, you're not old.

Who's next? :)

My classmates started to ask questions when we were at the bar and I ordered a glenlivet nadurra because "old people drink that stuff." :laugh: :mad: And then at the end of the night pointed out that my one drink was cheaper than 5-6 bud lights. :p

I'm 28, but thanks to genetics look a bit younger than that. A lot of people in my post-bacc program are truly 5th year undergradlings and a couple of times I'll have to do a double-take when someone says/does something and remember that oh yeah, you're 21.

My classmates started to ask questions when we were at the bar and I ordered a glenlivet nadurra because "old people drink that stuff." :laugh: :mad: And then at the end of the night pointed out that my one drink was cheaper than 5-6 bud lights. :p

I think Scotch Appreciation Societies needs to be started wherever we end up matriculating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 35 if I matriculate this year, 36 next year.

Dude, you are seriously a maximum of 5 years older than the youngest student in your class. You will find that alot of kids take a year or two off before medical school.

26 aint old... :)

A good friend of mine just started undergrad this semester. He turns 35 later this month.

Okay okay.
I'm over it.
Thanks guys.

No keep going! I just turned 25 a couple weeks ago and it's freaking me out. This thread makes me feel much better :)

I'm 34, but my fiance is 24 - so she keeps me up to date with what the "kids" are into these days. I met her in a Biology class, so there's something to be said to going back to school at 30.

Anyway, I can rock a t-shirt, shorts, and flipflops with the best of them. :D

I'm 34, but my fiance is 24 - so she keeps me up to date with what the "kids" are into these days. I met her in a Biology class, so there's something to be said to going back to school at 30.

But admit it, you have socks on with those flip-flops.

HHmmm.. kay...
cradle robber..
But you are a man. It's different for a man.

HHmmm.. kay...
cradle robber..
But you are a man. It's different for a man.

Don't be so judgemental. :)

I'm hardly a cradle robber. I had a rule that I wouldn't ask any of the girls out in my classes, because I thought it would be kinda creepy. She asked me out, and it was only after I'd known her for about 2 years. But, I can understand the sentiment. Imagine her parents' response when she finally told them that she was dating a guy almost 10 years older than her. Haha. They love me now though, but it took awhile.

In my opinion, women are generally much more mature than guys are at that age anyway. Of course, there are always exceptions, but we men aren't usually all about settling down at age 24.

Don't be so judgemental. :)

I'm hardly a cradle robber. I had a rule that I wouldn't ask any of the girls out in my classes, because I thought it would be kinda creepy. She asked me out, and it was only after I'd known her for about 2 years. But, I can understand the sentiment. Imagine her parents' response when she finally told them that she was dating a guy almost 10 years older than her. Haha. They love me now though, but it took awhile.

In my opinion, women are generally much more mature than guys are at that age anyway. Of course, there are always exceptions, but we men aren't usually all about settling down at age 24.

My mom wishes I can find someone 10 years older than me because she thinks American boys mature slower or something...

Best case scenario, I'll be entering Med School at 37 (Class of 2012).

I do sometimes worry about the maturity level of my potential classmates, but I suppose it's part of the deal, being older and wiser (haha), to put things into proper perspective. Luckily I look extremely young (no one believes I'm in my 30's) and I usually have no problem getting along with the young'uns.

Ultimately though, how young or old my classmates are has no bearing on my med school career...providing I get there!

I do sometimes worry about the maturity level of my potential classmates

I used to feel that way when I was taking 2000 and 3000 level classes. This semester I am in 16 hours of 4000 level classes with pretty much the same people every day, and I am pretty impressed by them. Their study habits are incredible. They are beating me a few points on most tests. (I comfort myself that I am experimenting with study methodologies instead of memorizing subject matter, but this is probably a rationalization).

I'm an intuitive type of learner, so they do end up asking for my help on problem solving issues. But, if anything, I think that their approach to school may be more mature than mine.

I know you said you're over it now, but I couldn't resist adding my own comparisons...

I'll be 26, and turning 27 a few months after school starts..

My future med school reported that 26 was actually the average age of their incoming students last year.

I was almost finished with my PhD when some of my future med school classmates graduated high school. Some of my future med school classmates are graduating college this year from the college where I teach!

I'll be 36 when I start. Assuming 'trads' start @22 then they were still peeing their pants when I graduated HS.

Rock on to all the non-trads out there!!!! This is a wonderful forum! Age is nothing but a number! I was freaked out a few years ago when I was applying to medical school as an "older applicant." My mom told me I was going to be 4 years older anyway when I completed medical school, so why not go after your dream?! I'm glad I listened to her. I did a masters program at my current medical school at age 28, entered med school at age 30 and will be graduating in 2 months at age 34! Found out that I matched today (YAY :soexcited:) and will likely be staring residency this July with interns much younger than me. At this point, I don't care about how old I am compared to the others around me! LOL! :laugh: We all have something valuable to contribute to the field of medicine. It can be done. . .

The MSAR said the average age of medical school matriculates is 24. Add in standard deviation and your set.

:D

I'll hopefully be able to get into medical school this next application cycle. If I do, I'll be 24. :laugh:

The MSAR said the average age of medical school matriculates is 24. Add in standard deviation and your set.

:D

I'll hopefully be able to get into medical school this next application cycle. If I do, I'll be 24. :laugh:

FWIW even though I am goign to be attending podiatry school in the fall, which is very similar to medical school (and the school I will be going to I take a lot of classes with med students) I am 25 now and will be 26 when it started.

I WAS a "traditional" student who graduated in 2008 with a Molec Bio Degree.

It just took me a damn long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life!

It was awkward a BIT at interviews being 25 and hanging out with the other interviewies who were 21 but whatever! Makes life more interesting ya know?

Plus its nice to know that all of my other friends who graduated with me are getting sucked into the corporate world and i am going into a cool medical profession!

EDIT: To the poster above me... 24 and you have a PharmD already?

Wow! Thats impressive! How did you manage to pull that one off?

EDIT: To the poster above me... 24 and you have a PharmD already?

Wow! Thats impressive! How did you manage to pull that one off?

:laugh: I'm just turned 23 right now and will be 24 when I graduate next year. Although many schools will only accept applicants with a bachelors, a few still get in without a bachelors like myself. You technically only need about 63-68 credits depending on what program your applying to so it is theoretically possible to do 2 years UG and then 4 years graduate (PharmD). However most of my class have bachelors. Some people are even faster with 2+3 (accelerated program). But nowadays its more common to see 4+4 as is the way with most professional programs.

:laugh: I'm just turned 23 right now and will be 24 when I graduate next year. Although many schools will only accept applicants with a bachelors, a few still get in without a bachelors like myself. You technically only need about 63-68 credits depending on what program your applying to so it is theoretically possible to do 2 years UG and then 4 years graduate (PharmD). However most of my class have bachelors. Some people are even faster with 2+3 (accelerated program). But nowadays its more common to see 4+4 as is the way with most professional programs.

Will you have to go back to get a bachelors degree in order to apply to medical school?

Awhile back, my crew was giving a fire station/truck tour to a group of kids from a local daycare. Kids were about 4-5 years old. I turned to the rookie firefighter next to me, pointed at the kids and said "You were THAT old when I started this job!"

That was definitely an "old" moment for me.

Awhile back, my crew was giving a fire station/truck tour to a group of kids from a local daycare. Kids were about 4-5 years old. I turned to the rookie firefighter next to me, pointed at the kids and said "You were THAT old when I started this job!"

That was definitely an "old" moment for me.

Oh wow.. okay.. I guess my straight through classmates were in 1st grade when I was in 5th.. not so dramatic.. hah hah...

In my experience, the only thing that makes it awkward is ourselves. I'll be 30 when I start school this fall and I had a kid in my undergrad at 28. I look really young and get carded everywhere + I can sometimes act like I'm 5 with all the silliness (I get along great with my nephew!). I enjoy spending time with people of all ages, it really doesn't matter all that much. Maturity is something that comes with age, but some people obtain later/earlier than others. I mean, I was living at the bar playing in a death metal band and acting like a hooligan rock star until I was 26-27. Then I grew up. :D

I'll be "old" too. I'm 24 now, will graduate with my PhD this year. I hope to start med school in fall 2012 so I'll be...25, almost 26. :eek: I wouldn't worry about it; you will have the benefit of maturity...which I do think makes a difference. I'm not saying the 20 year old are IMMATURE, but I remember being 18-21 and you simply don't think quite the same way as when you are in your mid-20s. Eh. It's all good !

I'll be "old" too. I'm 24 now, will graduate with my PhD this year. I hope to start med school in fall 2012 so I'll be...25, almost 26. :eek: I wouldn't worry about it; you will have the benefit of maturity...which I do think makes a difference. I'm not saying the 20 year old are IMMATURE, but I remember being 18-21 and you simply don't think quite the same way as when you are in your mid-20s. Eh. It's all good !

I know whatcha mean. ;)

I feel like an old soul... :D

me, too! minus the phD ;)

i JUST turned 24 a few days ago...will be 25 nearing 26 when i (hopefully) matriculate in the fall of 2012.

I think this a question mostly stuck in the minds of those under say 35--with some exceptions of course.

I think you get to a point where it's ridiculous to label and paint people or yourself in a corner b/c of something you can't control--like the date you were born. It's like being all negative b/c you are female, or a different race than most, or well, just, somehow different. Different isn't better or worse; it's just different than whatever is considered "most" in the group.

What has ever been wrong with being different? I mean it's like people saying you have to eat meat and potatoes or PN&J sandwhiches every stinking day of your life.

I'm good with people being different. Different is interesting. And different doesn't really change what they person truly is, character-wise, on the inside. You can be a smuck at 22, or you can be one at 42 or some other double digit that ends with a 2, or whatever.

Smuckism is an equal opportunity state.

So, the moral here is to concern oneself with what really matters or makes the difference in a good way. Demographics only can go so far. I can't control certain things. So what? Why should I worry about what I can't control?

So choose to feel about yourself what is most true about you. Your basic demographics do NOT define you unless you LET them define you. . . and doing that is kind of sad.

People just like slots and labels, b/c it makes it easier for them to make generalizations. In the greater scheme of things, it's small-minded thinking.

Last edited:

What? seriously. You started your PhD at 18? Aren't those like 6 years or 5?

We can all be very American and individualistic about this. You think demographic has no effect? What about being a minority? We can self-adjust to a certain degree, but I don't think anyone could totally free ourselves from our demographic data.

I think this a question mostly stuck in the minds of those under say 35--with some exceptions of course.

I think you get to a point where it's ridiculous to label and paint people or yourself in a corner b/c of something you can't control--like the date you were born. It's like being all negative b/c you are female, or a different race than most, or well, just, somehow different. Different isn't better or worse; it's just different than whatever is considered "most" in the group.

What has ever been wrong with being different? I mean it's like people saying you have to eat meat and potatoes or PN&J sandwhiches every stinking day of your life.

I'm good with people being different. Different is interesting. And different doesn't really change what they person truly is, character-wise, on the inside. You can be a smuck at 22, or you can be one at 42 or some other double digit that ends with a 2, or whatever.

Smuckism is an equal opportunity state.

So, the moral here is to concern oneself with what really matters or makes the difference in a good way. Demographics only can go so far. I can't control certain things. So what? Why should I worry about what I can't control?

So choose to feel about yourself what is most true about you. Your basic demographics do NOT define you unless you LET them define you. . . and doing that is kind of sad.

People just like slots and labels, b/c it makes it easier for them to make generalizations. In the greater scheme of things, it's small-minded thinking.

Young, old, whatever. I sort of feel for these kids fresh out of college who will never experience anything in the "real world" except medicine. Some of them may even realize they want to see more of it when they are so deep into it that there can't be any going back. Some will love there decision regardless.

Last edited:
We can all be very American and individualistic about this. You think demographic has no effect? What about being a minority? We can self-adjust to a certain degree, but I don't think anyone could totally free ourselves from our demographic data.

Point is, regardless, it should not define or confine you. I am not defined by my race, sex, age, etc. It's kind of like happiness. We are most free when we come to realize that a lot about happiness is a choice; same thing with joy, only moreso.

If people can be strong enough not to be defined by their tragedies or say physical and other kinds of limitations, they can choose not to be defined by basic demographics. They are there, kind of like your address and telephone number.

Much about demongraphics is all about holding the zeroes and decimal places.

To be defined by demographics is like seeing ourselves as though we were merely two-dimensional. It's like music without various rhythms and harmonies and other artfully weaved variations within the whole piece.

Stay innocent in the light of life while avoiding ignorance of its realities.

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."

--William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Outside of my age, I don't fit into any minority groups, so I am subject to the accusation that I don't "get it", but I don't get it. Why would anyone be tied down by demographic data and need to be freed from it?

Demographic data is (ideally) a bell curve, and no matter where your "demographic" mid-point is, there is someone on the far right of that curve. Why shouldn't it be you?

I realized I was old when I mentioned something about "Zombie" by "The Cranberries" to my classmates and got a wall of blank stares. It was precisely at that point where I realized that - holy smokes - most of them were born in the 90's!

I realized I was old when I mentioned something about "Zombie" by "The Cranberries" to my classmates and got a wall of blank stares. It was precisely at that point where I realized that - holy smokes - most of them were born in the 90's!

:eek:

Ha! I made a comment in my Spanish I class that our teacher looked like Angela Lansbury => :confused:, "you know, Murder She Wrote?" => :confused:, "c'mon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks?" => :confused: ... "nevermind"