Ohio Resident VS Texas Resident/Reinventing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1134830

Hi everyone! I am new the SDN and this is my first post so please forgive me if it sounds off or weird, not used to this! Also, sorry for the long post!

I am in a little bit of a dilemma. I am an Ohio resident and attended undergrad there. I’m a non-grad who started off as pre-med, ventured off into to many different fields, and ultimately found myself in a post-bacc program in Texas to re-take some old pre-reqs I didn’t do well in/finish the ones I didn’t take. I went straight from undergrad to this post bacc program and will complete it this semester! At this point, I’ve been in Texas for over a year and meet the requirements to obtain residency (my partner lives here so I did not move solely for school and thus have a permanent address). My problem is that my stats are not the highest and though my advisor is pushing me to obtain Texas residency, I’m nervous that my chances of getting into med school being an Ohio resident may be higher.

Additionally, I’m overall curious if I’ve accomplished “reinventing myself”.

In case stats are important:

Graduated with a non-science degree and 3.9 gpa in my degree specifically.

Last 75 credit hours have been all A’s and one B+.
26 out of the 75 credit hours are pre-reqs (+Microbio).

3 of the pre-reqs I took in my post-bacc where retakes and I got A’s in them (except the B+ which was in Gen Chem 2 Lec, but A in the lab).

TMDSAS

cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.34

AAMCAS:

cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 3.27

AACOMAS

cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 3.17

Pre req grades + years:

• 2016/Gen Chem 1: B-
•2016/Psych: B
•2017/Gen Bio 1: A-
•2017/Calc: A (is this is a prerequisite lol?)
•2017/Gen Bio 2: C
•2018/Gen Chem 2: D+
•2018/Stats: B+
•2018/Physics 1: C-
•2020/Gen Bio 2 (retake): A-
•2021/ Physics 1 (retake): A
•2021/Gen Chem 2 (retake):B+ in lec, A lab
•2021/Ochem 1: A- in lec, A in lab
•2021/ Biochem: A
•2021/Microbio: A
•2022/Physics 2: A
•2022/Ochem 2: A

Have strong Rec letters from Ochem 1, Physics 2, Microbio, and Gen Chem 2 profs and committee letter from my Post-Bacc program.

MCAT: Taking Sept this year, aiming 513+

Most of my bad grades for cGPA are early on from when I switched majors a lot. Many of them are Econ courses, comp sci courses, and really classes that aren’t relevant to med school. My 3.9 GPA for my major is because I switched later in my college career, so although I got a 3.9 I already had so many weighted credits it didn’t do much.

I am open to both MD and DO, and if it matters
I like both Ohio and Texas and wouldn’t mind either one! (Though that Texas tuition is nice haha).

Also I am ORM if it matters but first Gen (mom didn’t grad high school, dad didn’t grad college).

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

[mention]Goro [/mention]new to SDN but I hear amazing things about you and have seen your very insightful posts. Would love if you had any insights!

AdComs really only look at cGPA and sGPA; they won't even know you got a 3.9 in your major-specific coursework.

I'm confused by your post saying that your most recent 75 hours have been all As and 1 B, because you only outline what you call prereqs and it doesn't appear to be close to 75 hours, and even then your most successful recent coursework (the recent As) only surmounts to roughly 21 credit hours. 18 if you don't take into account that B in Gen Chem. If the remaining of those 75 hours are science heavy (i.e.: SMP coursework), then that definitely changes things. However, that doesn't seem to be the case since your sGPA would seemingly be higher than what is listed.

With that said, I'm going to base my initial advice solely off the breakdown of recent coursework listed. Speaking from experience, I don't think you'll get much luck if you were to apply this upcoming cycle. I think you would need another 20-30 hours of high science success to get serious consideration. Again though, my advice would change depending on what you're saying composes the rest of the 75 hours not reflected in this post.

As far as Texas vs Ohio residency goes: Texas residents have arguably the best setup when it comes to state school attendance because they are the cheapest medical schools in the country (short of the tuition-free ones). It's a double-edged sword though, because it's quite competitive to get into a Texas spot, and OOS schools typically don't give Texas residents much love unless they are rockstars, because they expect Texas residents to stay in-state if given the opportunity because they'd graduate with far less debt (unless they have a special connection to that school's particular region). You could potentially benefit by applying as a Texas resident and dual apply AMCAS to OOS schools mostly in Ohio, but you would not be competitive for a Texas spot most likely. If you applied as an Ohio resident however, my understanding is that the Ohio schools often see an exodus of in-state residents in part because of the lack of a match like you see in the TMDSAS system, and also because of the far greater number of schools those applicants apply to through AMCAS. Subsequently, several Ohio schools often have several empty seats once classes begin. It could stand to your benefit to apply as an Ohio resident in that regard, but that is admittedly conjecture on my part. The reality of the situation is that as a lower stat applicant, you're looking at an uphill battle either way.

It's also hard to provide more accurate advice without a MCAT score. A 513 could open doors for you this cycle, but even then the low GPA will hold you back from most places. Also a September MCAT means you/your schools aren't getting scores until October. That may be okay for most AACOMAS schools, but that's pretty late in the game for TMDSAS and most AMCAS schools.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.