Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What "list" are you talking about? :rolleyes: is that a dumb question haha.

https://vet.osu.edu/incoming-class
If you scroll down to "Housing Information", they have a pdf that says "Recommended apartments/condos by current veterinary students".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone told me that last year they were told that if you were top 20 on the alternate list that you were almost guaranteed a spot. It got my hopes up, but I fear it was not accurate information.

Someone told me that last year they were told that if you were top 20 on the alternate list that you were almost guaranteed a spot. It got my hopes up, but I fear it was not accurate information.
It very well could have been the case one of the years. It varies from year to year. It very well could go to 20 again this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only "for sure" is an acceptance. That said, the wait-list is not a no. They put you there because they like you, so don't give up hope. It's always good to have your plan B ready just in case, but the wait-list DOES move and there's definitely a chance.

What is OSU's gym situation? I assume the facilities must be good since the school is so large. Is there a facility near the vet buildings? Are there group fitness classes? 24 hour access? Some vet schools require students to pay a separate gym fee if they want access, though I don't know if Obio does this.

What is OSU's gym situation? I assume the facilities must be good since the school is so large. Is there a facility near the vet buildings? Are there group fitness classes? 24 hour access? Some vet schools require students to pay a separate gym fee if they want access, though I don't know if Obio does this.
Yes! The RPAC is just on the other side of the vet school. There's tons of fitness classes that are held daily. The gym is not 24 hrs; it closes at midnight. I don't think Vet students are required to pay a separate fee. Pretty sure it's included in the tuition costs.

https://recsports.osu.edu/facilities/recreation-physical-activity-center-rpac

You can read more about the RPAC here.

Yes! The RPAC is just on the other side of the vet school. There's tons of fitness classes that are held daily. The gym is not 24 hrs; it closes at midnight. I don't think Vet students are required to pay a separate fee. Pretty sure it's included in the tuition costs.

https://recsports.osu.edu/facilities/recreation-physical-activity-center-rpac

You can read more about the RPAC here.

Holy balls that is an amazing facility. It looks like there is a fee of ~130/semester but it looks like it's just tacked onto the fees of full time enrollment.

Holy balls that is an amazing facility. It looks like there is a fee of ~130/semester but it looks like it's just tacked onto the fees of full time enrollment.
Yes, I believe RPAC fees are attached to tuition.

There are also other gyms located throughout the campus, such as Jesse Owens North/South as well was the ARC.

You guys, I'm #6 on the wait list! What do you think my chances are?
I also know 2 or 3 people who will most likely decline their spot! All out of state but if it's one list I think you'll be accepted in no time :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope we move through the list quite a bit this year.

Wait, does OSU do the whole white coat ceremony thing for first years? Or is it just for 3rd years?

It says on their info 3rd year

My friend is #3 on that list! My fingers are crossed for you guys!!!

That's great! I thought I'd also include my stats:
3.42 GPA, IS, GRE:167 verbal, 151 quant, experience was my strong suit with a bunch of hours in small, large, some exotic, wildlife, and currently a lab animal technician at Battelle. I'm also a non- traditional student at 28.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide insight into housing on your own? I have a dog and two cats that will be moving with me and it is hard to make that work with a roommate. One major aspect would be the declaring residency situation, as I know that everything purchased must be purchased using student loan money or money made in Ohio.

What seems like a manageable rent amount for an individual, as far as not using to much of the student loan aid for rent itself utilities not included.

Disclaimer*** My dog has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and is constantly battling with extreme diarrhea, I would never want to subject a room mate to having to worry about walking into what could be a "**** show."

I was wondering if a current student would comment on OSU's policy that you are expelled if you fail a class...how often does this happen?

Fingers crossed for those on the waitlist! Yeah, the white coat ceremony is held during the 3rd year and is meant to represent the transition into your clinical years. I am kind of jealous because I know schools like NC state do it the first year :(.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide insight into housing on your own? I have a dog and two cats that will be moving with me and it is hard to make that work with a roommate. One major aspect would be the declaring residency situation, as I know that everything purchased must be purchased using student loan money or money made in Ohio.

What seems like a manageable rent amount for an individual, as far as not using to much of the student loan aid for rent itself utilities not included.

Disclaimer*** My dog has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and is constantly battling with extreme diarrhea, I would never want to subject a room mate to having to worry about walking into what could be a "**** show."

So the vast majority of people are either coming with pets or will acquire one, and as a rule are more understanding than you'd think. Even if they don't bring a pet, they'll probably enjoy having yours around. That being said, you are going to be very busy, so you may not have as much time to deal with your pup's GI stuff. Additionally, keep in mind financial aid assumes you have a roommate. They are not giving you the amount of financial aid you'd need to pay for things by yourself; this is something I wish I'd known. I lived singly initially and ended up changing apartments/getting a roomie, and it's helped my finances a lot.

I was wondering if a current student would comment on OSU's policy that you are expelled if you fail a class...how often does this happen?

Not very often. I think most if not all of our class is still here.

From talking to some of the faculty I have come to know, it does happen but not very often at all. There is one every once in a while that will be dismissed, but it is definitely a rarity.

You know whats unfortunate? I'm taking Ochem Lab 2 right now so that I was able to apply to more vet schools over the past summer and now I'm going to OSU so its just torture for no reason now lol. OSU doesn't even require any Ochem Labs.

You know whats unfortunate? I'm taking Ochem Lab 2 right now so that I was able to apply to more vet schools over the past summer and now I'm going to OSU so its just torture for no reason now lol. OSU doesn't even require any Ochem Labs.
Couldn't you technically drop it? I know it's past the 4th week of the semester so you would end up having a W, but would OSU really care?

Couldn't you technically drop it? I know it's past the 4th week of the semester so you would end up having a W, but would OSU really care?

I would care having a W lol

I would care having a W lol
I understand where you are coming from, but OSU should not care with you receiving a "W" for a class that is not required. They are mainly interested only if you fail a required class (or any class) that is on your final transcripts sent to them. You can always call admissions and ask them, but I am pretty sure that is how they look at it. It is only a lab.

Fingers crossed for those on the waitlist! Yeah, the white coat ceremony is held during the 3rd year and is meant to represent the transition into your clinical years. I am kind of jealous because I know schools like NC state do it the first year :(.
I actually preferred having it before 4th year. That way getting a white coat *means* something as opposed to, "hey, 'grats on getting into vet school, here's this coat that signifies you becoming a doctor but you haven't passed your preclinical years yet." OSU has a 'welcome to the profession' ceremony before first year that is a nice transition to vet school but you don't get a white coat.

Reactions: 6 users
Most people drop to the class below them. You need to me with the associate dean and stuff and work out a plan. It really doesn't happen frequently.

I actually preferred having it before 4th year. That way getting a white coat *means* something as opposed to, "hey, 'grats on getting into vet school, here's this coat that signifies you becoming a doctor but you haven't passed your preclinical years yet." OSU has a 'welcome to the profession' ceremony before first year that is a nice transition to vet school but you don't get a white coat.

I know what you are saying and it does make more sense as to getting it the first year. It is something we all look forward to!

I am not closed to the idea of a room mate, it is just a matter of should my dog have an episode where her HC flares up, it can be quite unpleasant. That being said, she is on prescription food and medication which keep those episodes rare. If anyone is interested just let me know, I have 2 cats and a dog who will be coming with me.

I dropped Physics 2 because OSU doesn't require it. I dropped it with a W and when I called they said it wasn't an issue. Why suffer through the rest of Ochem if you don't need it!?

Reactions: 2 users
I dropped Physics 2 because OSU doesn't require it. I dropped it with a W and when I called they said it wasn't an issue. Why suffer through the rest of Ochem if you don't need it!?

But....but Ochem!

Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of organic. It was my favorite class ever. However I fully recognize that your milage will vary on the enjoyment of organic chemistry lab.

Didn't you have to take ochem 2 to take biochem?

It will probably depend on the school. Some offer an introductory level where there is minimal chemistry required.

...My biochem required 2 terms of inorganic, 2 terms of organic, genetics, and cell bio as prerequisites. To say it was gated was an understatement.

Depends. OSU doesn't require you to take the ochem 2 for biochem. Just Chem 2, Ochem 1, and any biological science class.

Our ochems dont include lab either its a separate class you have to register for

We didnt have to take it lol thats one way I think the pre vet at osu didnt help you because virtually every other vet school requires both ochem labs

We didnt have to take it lol thats one way I think the pre vet at osu didnt help you because virtually every other vet school requires both ochem labs

Well hey, at least you are accepted!!!

For those living in columbus now anybody heard of the new apartments called THE GRIFF ? it says for students recently built????

My university has a vet sci major that requires both gen chems and labs, both ochems and labs, and both biochems and both physics classes and both labs..plus of course bio and micro bio and ecology plus all of their labs..lets just say it was a busy undergrad for me

For those living in columbus now anybody heard of the new apartments called THE GRIFF ? it says for students recently built????
I saw them when I had my interview. They look really really nice from the outside. Probably cost a fortune tho.

Has anyone signed the technical standards form? Its online, do we go ahead and do it? Or wait for it to be emailed to us?

Has anyone signed the technical standards form? Its online, do we go ahead and do it? Or wait for it to be emailed to us?

Wondering the same thing. The spaz that I am, I already signed it and emailed it to them but they never emailed me a confirmation.

Not yet. I got the email saying my acceptance fee was received today, so I'll wait a couple of days to see if I get it emailed. If not, I guess I'll send it myself.

what is that and where did you find it?

Its online on the incoming students page. It has residency, vaccines and all that information on that page too. They give a link to it in the acceptance fee email.