Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we send it to Ms. Pugh's email? Or do we submit it to some other email?

It says that they will email it to us. I'm sure they will send us more info soon. It is still February lol. I know how you guys feel I want everything to be set up and ready already lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those living in columbus now anybody heard of the new apartments called THE GRIFF ? it says for students recently built????

It sounds like it's recently built and owned by OSU. No pets of any kind; only plus I see is that it's on our side of campus, away from the football craziness (which is great, except when you're trying to study or go anywhere near campus for anything unrelated to football). The fact that there's a "parents" section makes me think they're allowing undergrad students to be there, so that might be a deal breaker for some. I can't find anything about cost, either, but I imagine there are cheaper options? It looks pretty and I'd consider it if pets were allowed, depending on pricing, but as pets are not allowed...

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like it's recently built and owned by OSU. No pets of any kind; only plus I see is that it's on our side of campus, away from the football craziness (which is great, except when you're trying to study or go anywhere near campus for anything unrelated to football). The fact that there's a "parents" section makes me think they're allowing undergrad students to be there, so that might be a deal breaker for some. I can't find anything about cost, either, but I imagine there are cheaper options? It looks pretty and I'd consider it if pets were allowed, depending on pricing, but as pets are not allowed...

No pets is definitely a deal breaker for me, as I imagine it is for many vet students.

Even if you don't have pets now, it's likely you will acquire one soon! :p
I came with my cat. Then my SO got a job in Texas where he couldn't have pets so I took care of his dog. A couple weeks later I found a kitten while walking the dog. Start of 2nd year I got a new puppy...:rolleyes: I'm at full capacity now, I promise.

I think one of my classmates lived on campus first year. She moved off campus after that. It's not a very popular option with grad/prof students esp since you can't have pets.

Obligatory Pet Pics:
pBAAuIa.jpg
KpBHG3t.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Even if you don't have pets now, it's likely you will acquire one soon! :p
I came with my cat. Then my SO got a job in Texas where he couldn't have pets so I took care of his dog. A couple weeks later I found a kitten while walking the dog. Start of 2nd year I got a new puppy...:rolleyes: I'm at full capacity now, I promise.

I think one of my classmates lived on campus first year. She moved off campus after that. It's not a very popular option with grad/prof students esp since you can't have pets.

Obligatory Pet Pics:
pBAAuIa.jpg
KpBHG3t.jpg
What a bunch cuties!! Do you live in apartment or house?

What a bunch cuties!! Do you live in apartment or house?

I live in a house! I don't know if I could handle the shepherd in addition to the other 3 without a fenced in yard :p I lived in an apartment my first year though with the little yorkie mix and 2 cats. (even though our pet limit was 2....shhhh)

For current students: we have to get all the vaccines on our own before the start of class, except rabies? Do they give us the rabies vaccine during the school year?

I live in a house! I don't know if I could handle the shepherd in addition to the other 3 without a fenced in yard :p I lived in an apartment my first year though with the little yorkie mix and 2 cats. (even though our pet limit was 2....shhhh)
Aahh!! That's what I want!! House with fenced in backyard! Do you have any recommendation on safe areas or areas to avoid?

Just got a home in Columbus with a fenced in backyard! I'm so excited!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got a home in Columbus with a fenced in backyard! I'm so excited!!
I really want one too for my dog! She's a mini Aussie and she loves to play fetch so I feel like an apartment isn't going to be the best for her! Where did you look ?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those living in columbus now anybody heard of the new apartments called THE GRIFF ? it says for students recently built????
I found some useful info regarding the apartments. Pictures above is the 1 bedroom type apartment. As Birds said, no pets allowed might be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

They look nice though.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 54
Is it true that after your first year of vet school you're allowed to do surgery if a veterinarian is okay with it and supervising and instructing?

Accepted my seat! See ya in August, Buckeyes :)

Reactions: 7 users
Is it true that after your first year of vet school you're allowed to do surgery if a veterinarian is okay with it and supervising and instructing?

It's possible. Somewhere in the Ohio Revised Code there's a section that outlines this. I've always been told that after your first year of vet school you are legally allowed to perform all the functions of a veterinary technician - which could include lots of interesting surgical things under direct vet supervision.

Here's the part of the ORC that governs this question (it sounds like you need to also check with the Ohio Veterinary Medicine Licensing Board to see what their specific rule states). Link.

Thanks!

I really want one too for my dog! She's a mini Aussie and she loves to play fetch so I feel like an apartment isn't going to be the best for her! Where did you look ?

You weren't asking me specifically, but I have found Zillow to be helpful in locating rental properties around Columbus. Most of these properties are not student-focused so you're more likely to find pet friendly homes with yards. The downside is that when it comes to non-student rentals and you're looking for a July or August move in date, you might have to wait until May or June to really see what properties are available.

This is true!

Reactions: 3 users
I love my neighborhood/area of town. Send me a PM though since I'd rather not post that on the main thread! :shy:

I was wondering if you would be able to message me the information about towns and stuff to live in! Thanks!

I used Zillow to help me look. I wasn't for the idea of being close to the city life or anything so it's about 15 minutes away. But for me that's where I would be happier. Definitely try Zillow! They have so many options in Columbus. I couldn't believe the amount of homes you could choose from.

You weren't asking me specifically, but I have found Zillow to be helpful in locating rental properties around Columbus. Most of these properties are not student-focused so you're more likely to find pet friendly homes with yards. The downside is that when it comes to non-student rentals and you're looking for a July or August move in date, you might have to wait until May or June to really see what properties are available.
Thanks so much! Yeah I am still actually deciding between OSU and another school so if I choose OSU it'll be a good time to start looking in April or May!

Piggybacking from another thread, can someone talk about the grading breakdown of OSU's classes? Are they exclusively midterm/final, or are there more exams? Are there also additional assignments, group projects, etc?

Anyone going to the vet conference this coming weekend?? I'll be there!

I'll be at the MVC - almost every day and then some (I'll be working on set up and registration).

I'll be there, but I dunno if you guys are doing the pre-vet thing or not? If you're in the main conference, I'll maybe see you!

Piggybacking from another thread, can someone talk about the grading breakdown of OSU's classes? Are they exclusively midterm/final, or are there more exams? Are there also additional assignments, group projects, etc?

It depends on the class. Every class is different; midterms count for a lot in most courses, and some classes require a lot of group work. Anatomy and Epidemiology are two that come to mind, but there's others. There will be out of class assignments for some courses. Don't worry about that too much yet, though! You'll figure it out when you get here.

2nd year there isn't much besides exams and there are generally 2 exams and 1 final per class with some out of class quizzes thrown in. Professional development has a communnication lab both semesters, zoonotic diseases has a choice between a zoonotic collaboration with med school students or 3 write ups about outbreaks, and animal welfare has a lot of quizzes and discussions.

In case you wanted to hear about 3rd year too...
We still have 1-2 midterms and a final for most classes. The big difference in 3rd year I've noticed is quizzes. Oh, so many quizzes! They generally aren't too hard and not too many questions - typically a good grade booster. Usually online so we can take them at home on our own time but the DEADLINES is what gets you. Just need to be super organized and on top of when quizzes open/close. Clinical reasoning has a couple big projects/assignments rather than exams. For classes like intro to surgery and small animal operative practice we also have lab participation and lab quizzes. You actual 3 live surgeries (one as primary surgeon, one as assistant, and one as anesthesiologist) are worth 3% of your grade each. Prof dev has some assignments and another communication lab.

I've lived in Columbus for almost 10 years now, so I just wanted to list some areas of town that I think are pretty great if you are willing to drive just a little.

Northwest suburbs: Dublin, Worthington, Powell. - Worthington especially has really easy access to 315, which takes you straight into campus. This area also has a ton of apartment complexes. I lived at The Village at Worthington Green for two years- they even have their own mini dog park! You really just have to be willing to look. Also, the areas around Bethel and Sawmill have a ton of restaurants/ shopping and easy highway access.
Hilliard- similar driving distance from Dublin but possibly more affordable, although traffic around here seems to be a pain. Hilliard Rome Rd. also has a ton of grocery stores, shopping and restaurants.
Westerville- some parts have become a little iffy, but still has a really cute "Uptown". Lots of apartments.
Of course there is always Upper Arlington, Grandview, and Clintonville, if you want to be closer to campus and are willing to spend more $$. Suburb living can afford you more space and access to more shopping and places to go than these may.

Anything South of Hillard may be a bit of a hike, and you kind of get into some sketchy neighborhoods closer to downtown but south of campus. Personally I would also steer clear of Reynoldsburg, Whitehall, and the Easton area. New Albany is also a hike as well as most things south of it. Traffics is always nuts coming from some of the southern suburbs like Grove City.

That's just an overview, but feel free to chime in if you have other opinions or suggestions!

For current students: we have to get all the vaccines on our own before the start of class, except rabies? Do they give us the rabies vaccine during the school year?
I emailed the department that reviews vaccinations a couple of weeks ago. If you are not from OSU, you have to get all of the required vaccinations on your own to meet university requirements. The rabies series and Tdap I believe is offered during the first year. However, if you are currently attending OSU for undergrad or grad school, you should have already met university vaccination requirements and you only have to meet the vet schools requirement (Tdap and rabies) by the end of your first year. You can download the form now from the "incoming class" page. Soon, there will be a place to submit it on BuckeyeLink. On another note, the "technical standards" form that we must sign will be emailed to us to sign electronically.

Once you get your OSU email set up you can subscribe to "CVM Chat" by going here: https://lists.osu.edu/mailman/listinfo/cvmchat

This listserv goes out to anyone in the college of vet med who is subscribed (students, faculty, techs, etc). You'll see things for sale like household items, furniture, vet-related stuff, football/basketball tickets, etc. as well as houses/apartments for rent, pet sitters needed, and of course animals that need homes :p

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a Facebook page for the incoming class?

Does anybody know how much OSU typically over accepts by? I am just trying to gauge my chances of getting pulled from the wait list. It is so hard to study with my life more up in the air than ever.

Does anybody know how much OSU typically over accepts by? I am just trying to gauge my chances of getting pulled from the wait list. It is so hard to study with my life more up in the air than ever.
It's probably more than you'd expect. I've been told for my class (2017) that they accepted about 280 for 162 seats. I know that seems like a lot but it's based on how many people have turned down their acceptances in past years.

I imagine most of the extra seats are OOS students - It makes sense for the school to do this. Top OOS students will likely get accepted to multiple schools and have to make a choice. If they are given an acceptance to Ohio State now rather than getting called off the waitlist later, they are more likely to come here. Plus, if they accepted 162, they'd have to make 120+ phone calls over the summer to call people off the waitlist - many of whom have already committed to another school which leads to more phone calls...and so on.

Even though that sounds overwhelming, it doesn't mean you won't get called. Past few years I believe have gotten into the 20's and maybe 30's. This isn't a guarantee though - depends on people who applied this year and anything can happen. It'd be almost impossible to try to track down all 120+ people declining their OSU seat so I wouldn't think too hard about it. It's highly unlikely you'll hear anything until after the April 15th deadline. My fingers are crossed for all of you waiting to hear! :luck::xf:

As a disclaimer, I have not talked to the admissions committee about any of this so take it with a grain of salt! :p

It's probably more than you'd expect. I've been told for my class (2017) that they accepted about 280 for 162 seats. I know that seems like a lot but it's based on how many people have turned down their acceptances in past years.

I imagine most of the extra seats are OOS students - It makes sense for the school to do this. Top OOS students will likely get accepted to multiple schools and have to make a choice. If they are given an acceptance to Ohio State now rather than getting called off the waitlist later, they are more likely to come here. Plus, if they accepted 162, they'd have to make 120+ phone calls over the summer to call people off the waitlist - many of whom have already committed to another school which leads to more phone calls...and so on.

Even though that sounds overwhelming, it doesn't mean you won't get called. Past few years I believe have gotten into the 20's and maybe 30's. This isn't a guarantee though - depends on people who applied this year and anything can happen. It'd be almost impossible to try to track down all 120+ people declining their OSU seat so I wouldn't think too hard about it. It's highly unlikely you'll hear anything until after the April 15th deadline. My fingers are crossed for all of you waiting to hear! :luck::xf:

As a disclaimer, I have not talked to the admissions committee about any of this so take it with a grain of salt! :p

Thank you so much for your response. Since they didn't tell people where they were last year there is no data, but the past 4 years prior to that the person in my position was offered a seat. I'm so excited for the chance to get a seat, but also trying to not get my hopes up!

Haven't seen it posted recently, so I apologize if I missed it, but any advice on becoming a resident? I need a new car desperately before I move, and I'm not sure how to go about that with living on loans and stuff... My dad may or may not help me buy it.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the current first year class president will make you a page. That's what happened for us last year.
Last year someone from your class made the facebook page. She's still an admin on the page. I know my class president didn't make it for you. So unless they changed how things work, anyone can make the incoming class page

For those on the wait-list... the students accepted have until April to make their decisions, so you almost certainly won't hear before then. I heard a few days after the deadline. In the meantime, keep up with your classes and begin planning for the summer/next application cycle if you can. There's always a chance you'll get in, but take it from someone who drove herself crazy waiting... you'll feel better if you try your best not to think on it.

Afroduck was awesome. Im glad I got a picture of him

Last year someone from your class made the facebook page. She's still an admin on the page. I know my class president didn't make it for you. So unless they changed how things work, anyone can make the incoming class page
I thought for sure she made it and allowed people in if they had accepted their seats. Looking at our admins I see you're probably totally right.

Haven't seen it posted recently, so I apologize if I missed it, but any advice on becoming a resident? I need a new car desperately before I move, and I'm not sure how to go about that with living on loans and stuff... My dad may or may not help me buy it.

I would also really like some more information on becoming a resident. I know my parents pay my phone bill, and health and car insurance, and my car payment (but the car is in my name). I spoke with someone at the school and it sounded like I would have to prove that I'm paying my parents back for all of these things with my loan money. Anyone have any advice or anything regarding becoming a resident?

Unless they've changed the rules - I believe if your dad buys you the car (in full) before your 12 month review period starts it should be fine. If you're going to be making payments on the car, you will have to take over the payments once school starts. It doesn't matter if it's your name or his as long as you pay for maintenance/gas/payments starting in August. Bonus - if its in his name you don't have to get new ohio license plates/title :p

Reactions: 1 users
I would also really like some more information on becoming a resident. I know my parents pay my phone bill, and health and car insurance, and my car payment (but the car is in my name). I spoke with someone at the school and it sounded like I would have to prove that I'm paying my parents back for all of these things with my loan money. Anyone have any advice or anything regarding becoming a resident?
You can stay on your parents cell phone plan and insurance. What I did was set up an automatic bill pay through my bank to send my mom a check for the amount covering my portion of the phone bill and car insurance. If it doesn't cost your parents anything to stay on their health insurance then you don't need to pay. If it does cost them extra, you have to pay them for that extra part (add it on to your monthly check to them). You will need to take over the car payments for your car or pay your parents for the amount they pay each month. Checks are a nice way to keep track of things because you will be submitting all of your bank statements for the year when you apply next summer for residency.

**This is all assuming things haven't changed since 2013**

Maybe this is a weird question but can any current students tell me how the "family feeling" of OSU is? I know at the dinner the word family was thrown around quite a bit so I'm just wanting to know how close everyone kind of is. Do you feel like you get a lot of support from each other? Professors? Is it pretty easy to get to know your classmates or are there quite a few people that you still feel like you don't know?

Out of staters! If you really want to be on top of the residency stuff, here's how to organize your money. In the application they will ask you how much money you spent over the whole year in each of the following categories:

Tuition
Books/Supplies
Food
Rent
Utilities
Entertainment
Misc/Personal
Travel
Vehicle Payment
Gas/Maintenance
Auto Insurance
Health Insurance
Credit Card Payments

Make an excel spreadsheet with these categories. Every time you use your card/loan money record it in the applicable category! I did this weekly on Sundays and it was a HUGE time saver when it came time to do my residency application because the hard part was done. Alternatively you can use Mint and make these categories. I always seemed to mess up Mint somehow though :p

Also record the dates that you were out of state (no more than 30 days or more than 2 weeks at one time).

If I think of anything else I'll let you know but this was the biggie. I apologize in advance if they have changed any of the categories but this the basic gist of it. 2nd years can chime in if anything was different this past year!

Reactions: 5 users