Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The status of your application is on Buckeyelink (the place where you filled out the supplemental application).

In the applicant portal area it will say "Decision" vs. "Pending." If it says there is a decision, click on the status and read the message.
Nevermind found it!

Members don't see this ad.

The status of your application is on Buckeyelink (the place where you filled out the supplemental application).

In the applicant portal area it will say "Decision" vs. "Pending." If it says there is a decision, click on the status and read the message.
Sad; if I m looking in the right area- mine says Applicant Status - "Submitted"

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeyelink is sometimes a pain in the ass. Typically though, if you get an error message on one browser you can open another and log in without problems. Also, it does go offline every night between certain hours based on EST.

For a visual reference, this is what my applicant portal looks like (with my previous attempt)...

Untitled_zpsexayruah.png

Reactions: 1 user
1. BuckeyeLink is pretty slow supposedly, mine still says "pending," yet I already received an interview notification via email almost 2 weeks ago.

2. I had that problem too, rodeomarie... You have to make sure you are on the Log In page for "Future Students" not "Students" :p

1. BuckeyeLink is pretty slow supposedly, mine still says "pending," yet I already received an interview notification via email almost 2 weeks ago.

2. I had that problem too, rodeomarie... You have to make sure you are on the Log In page for "Future Students" not "Students" :p
Buckeyelink is NEVER up to date. It took ~2 months for it to say I was accepted. Email is the fastest way to find out about anything (meaning you will get an email before your portal will update.)

Reactions: 1 users

Your BuckeyeLink status won't change just because you got an interview. It'll still say "pending" until after your interview. BuckeyeLink is a huge pain in the butt. Mine updated several weeks after I was accepted. It sends weird error messages every once in a while and decides it doesn't like whatever browser I'm using when I go to check grades or registration or whatever. Moral of the story - just check your email, BuckeyeLink is useless.

Agreed; don't rely on buckeyelink for interview info. It'll be your e-mail more likely than not.

Is anyone aware as to how we would go about updating Ohio state on new experiences since our application was submitted?? I dont seem to find anything on their website that says so.

Is anyone aware as to how we would go about updating Ohio state on new experiences since our application was submitted?? I dont seem to find anything on their website that says so.

I believe you can do this through VMCAS.

In the past, people have just called admissions and had them, presumably, add a note to their application.

I emailed admissions with updated hours for experiences I had ongoing when I applied and they replied saying that my application was updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone chime in on the Process of Ohio State? As in, are these phases all applicants go through (or no?) that are listed on this link?
http://vet.osu.edu/education/admissions-process

Everyone who applies will go through the objective evaluation first. This is where they standardize the GPA's and GRE scores so everyone is being compared equally. From what I was told earlier this year, The Ohio State Graduate School does a lot of this compilation - not vet admissions (i.e. main campus cleans up that data before it gets to vet campus). People who don't meet the GPA cutoff and have other major deficiencies, like missing GRE scores, might get cut at this point.

When it comes to the Committee Review, files will be looked at but probably not in great detail (there are 1000+ applicants). In the past, they've used scoring systems to determine how many "points" you get for diversity of experiences, number of hours, etc. They're not always forthcoming with how that scoring works but most people will get a number that represents Objective Eval + Comm. Review. That number determines where the cutoff will be for interviews and it changes every year as the applicant pool changes.

Not all applicants will go through the subjective evaluation which is the interview.

Don't panic guys, I didn't get my interview invite until January! About 10 days before my interview! I thought that was a bad sign at the time, but here I am! :)

would you mind sharing your stats?

Everyone who applies will go through the objective evaluation first. This is where they standardize the GPA's and GRE scores so everyone is being compared equally. From what I was told earlier this year, The Ohio State Graduate School does a lot of this compilation - not vet admissions (i.e. main campus cleans up that data before it gets to vet campus). People who don't meet the GPA cutoff and have other major deficiencies, like missing GRE scores, might get cut at this point.

When it comes to the Committee Review, files will be looked at but probably not in great detail (there are 1000+ applicants). In the past, they've used scoring systems to determine how many "points" you get for diversity of experiences, number of hours, etc. They're not always forthcoming with how that scoring works but most people will get a number that represents Objective Eval + Comm. Review. That number determines where the cutoff will be for interviews and it changes every year as the applicant pool changes.

Not all applicants will go through the subjective evaluation which is the interview.

Thanks for explaining - so do majority all applicants go through the Committee Review then?
Im just trying to take into account our previous convo you and I had in regards to Undergrad vs our Masters how this actually plays out.

PEOPLE!!! Did you all just get the interview dates/admissions timeline email from OSU???

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for explaining - so do majority all applicants go through the Committee Review then?
Im just trying to take into account our previous convo you and I had in regards to Undergrad vs our Masters how this actually plays out.

From what I've heard, the majority do go through committee review.

I just got the timeline e-mail too. It's good to know that invites may not be going out again for at least another week. I do wonder how much they actually sent out in November though. Not many people here got one and I haven't heard much from applicants I know outside of SDN.

Yeah I was confused about it because it says decisions in mid-Dec... so maybe thats when they tell the people who aren't getting interviews?

I didn't get an email like that...should I be worried? :(

Hi everybody! Just signed up today...been lurking for awhile. Just wanted to add my name to the list! I am IS and interviewing on Jan 6th AM group. Can't wait to meet everybody!

I didn't get an email like that...should I be worried? :(

No, I e-mailed and they said they're sending the e-mails out in waves and told me I'd probably receive one today.

Yeah I was confused about it because it says decisions in mid-Dec... so maybe thats when they tell the people who aren't getting interviews?

Probably. There are going to be hundreds of people who fall toward the bottom of the rankings who aren't close to the interview cutoff.

would you mind sharing your stats?
Sure, hmmm it's been a while! And brain has been flooded with way more information now!!!
26y Cali resident! I was an experience heavy applicant... Had over 4,000hrs (5 years) as a tech at an equine surgery and emergency hospital. GPA came out somewhere around 3.4/3.5? GRE was around 153Q and 152 verbal, I think 4.5 for analytical..
BS in biology, went back to school after taking 3 years off after high school, so I'm a slightly older applicant. I applied one year before as a "junior" and was wait listed at WSU and Oregon. The year I got in I only got into OSU which I was thrilled about, my instate was Davis so I knew my GPA wasn't enough for that. Applied to TAMU, fat chance for OOS. Didn't get into WSU or Oregon the second time around, not even waitlisted! Idk why, maybe just didn't "change" enough about myself, cuz I literally didn't do anything different. I just kept working at the hospital and going to school full time. Umm idk what else... Does that help? :)

Sure, hmmm it's been a while! And brain has been flooded with way more information now!!!
26y Cali resident! I was an experience heavy applicant... Had over 4,000hrs (5 years) as a tech at an equine surgery and emergency hospital. GPA came out somewhere around 3.4/3.5? GRE was around 153Q and 152 verbal, I think 4.5 for analytical..
BS in biology, went back to school after taking 3 years off after high school, so I'm a slightly older applicant. I applied one year before as a "junior" and was wait listed at WSU and Oregon. The year I got in I only got into OSU which I was thrilled about, my instate was Davis so I knew my GPA wasn't enough for that. Applied to TAMU, fat chance for OOS. Didn't get into WSU or Oregon the second time around, not even waitlisted! Idk why, maybe just didn't "change" enough about myself, cuz I literally didn't do anything different. I just kept working at the hospital and going to school full time. Umm idk what else... Does that help? :)

Wow yep super helpful ! Thanks !

Stupid question.... did anybody see/remember where it said something about interview attire? I cannot for the life of me find that info. I'm assuming suits and the like are good. But before I spend all the money in my bank (thanks VMCAS!) just wanted to check. I'm pretty sure dinner the night before is business casual.... but once again can't even find that to confirm. So aka what is everybody wearing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stupid question.... did anybody see/remember where it said something about interview attire? I cannot for the life of me find that info. I'm assuming suits and the like are good. But before I spend all the money in my bank (thanks VMCAS!) just wanted to check. I'm pretty sure dinner the night before is business casual.... but once again can't even find that to confirm. So aka what is everybody wearing?

I am planning on a suit for interview day, and most likely dress pants and a nice shirt/blouse/sweater of some sort for the dinner. There's a thread floating around with a pretty extensive discussion of appropriate interview attire, too-- it's not specific to Ohio State, but I found it helpful. :)

The dinner is definitely more casual (business casual is the expectation) but there will be a lot of variation. I saw some nicer jeans and some cocktail-like dresses last year.

The interview day is business professional, i.e. suits. I brought a cardigan to wear in the morning during the information sessions and the tour though.

Thanks guys!

OMG stupid interview timeline email :thumbdown:

Does anyone know if the applicants that received the first round of interviews are the preferred applicants? Also, are there any admitted students out there that were interviewed in the second round in previous cycles?

Does anyone know if the applicants that received the first round of interviews are the preferred applicants? Also, are there any admitted students out there that were interviewed in the second round in previous cycles?
Are we saying that the first round is the ones who have interview set up? I would think that those would be the preferred students. But I know a bunch of second rounders who got in last year. So don't sweat it if you didn't!

Are we saying that the first round is the ones who have interview set up? I would think that those would be the preferred students. But I know a bunch of second rounders who got in last year. So don't sweat it if you didn't!

Thank you!!!

I don't think that's necessarily the case. They may not have got through all the applications yet. As I've mentioned before, I didn't get notice of my interview until right before christmas, so...

I don't think that's necessarily the case. They may not have got through all the applications yet. As I've mentioned before, I didn't get notice of my interview until right before christmas, so...
Well I mean I don't know for certain....but it's been my understanding that particularly OSU waits until all applications are in. They get the applications as soon as you put them into VMCAS (which has a deadline) and they may wait for verification but it doesn't take that long generally speaking. The low GPAs are weeded out and failure to complete supplementals...I think if anything you getting a seat late in the game shows how flawed the interview selection process is..since they clearly fell in love with you. it could've been a difference of a few GPA points or experience hours. But I'm pretty sure that they pick who they want to see first.

Might be wrong but that's something a past applicant told me the admissions board said to her.

Just thought I would weigh in on the interview process. I applied last year and was on the waitlist, but unfortunately did not get in. I also received my interview invite right before Christmas. I also know someone who didn't get their interview invite until mid January last year. I would assume this was second round invites or due to some people not accepting invites. This person did get in and found out she was accepted in March I believe. So I would say the interview itself has more affect on acceptance than when you get an invitation. I did reapply this year so am also anxiously awaiting an email! Good luck everyone!

I mean they just started going through applicants a few weeks ago, so... they get a lot of them every year. I'd be very surprised if they were through all of them already.

So on December 7, 2015 I got an email from OSU with a Timeline of the Admissions Process. In this email was a chart with dates and details for applicants ranging from the End of November to July 1st. Then the email offered a list of Interview Dates. After all of this information multiple links were offered to check the status of your application, change your password or username, and an email address if you had any questions.

One of my friends received an interview invitation quite a while ago and we were trying to plan to travel together. Upon deciding on a date, I looked at the email to sign up for an interview and realized that this wasn't possible. I called the Admissions Department of the OSU CVM and asked my questions about the email and why there wasn't a link offered so I could sign up for an interview date.

She explained to me that this email sent out was not an official interview invitation, but a timeline to the applicants still waiting to hear any news. Because the Admissions Department had received so many calls and emails about their application status, the CVM decided it best to send out this email. Well if you're anyone like me, I misinterpreted the information. This email is NOT an interview invitation, simply a timeline to help satisfy those of us who had not heard anything since submitting the supplemental application.

Current students/others who live in Columbus: what's the likelihood it's going to be snowing in Columbus in mid-Jan? Packing for break and trying to decide if I should bring home snow boots!

Current students/others who live in Columbus: what's the likelihood it's going to be snowing in Columbus in mid-Jan? Packing for break and trying to decide if I should bring home snow boots!
Weather here can vary. If it does snow they usually over exaggerate it by making it sound like it's going to be a huge storm when we may only get 2 inches. Most of the time January is only very cold but who knows with the crazy temps we have this year. We usually have some snow by now.

We usually get snow in January but I'm not sure what will happen with this oddly warm Nov/Dec we've had so far. So, January could follow suit or this could be the calm before the storm...Either way, it's very hard to predict Ohio weather and I'd be prepared for cold/snow as well as "warmer" winter temps.

Last year I interviewed in the middle of January and there was no snow. It was also unseasonably warm (high of 50) so I just ditched the outerwear. The only things you can do now is (1) be prepared for snow, ice, rain, etc. and (2) check out the weather forecast for Columbus a couple of days before your interview.

No idea if it will snow or not. Last year it was so cold that the open can of coke my dad left in the car exploded all over the front of the car. Luckily it was half empty, so it didn't completely trash it xD It's been a warm December, so who knows? I'd have a warmer outfit just in case.

No idea if it will snow or not. Last year it was so cold that the open can of coke my dad left in the car exploded all over the front of the car. Luckily it was half empty, so it didn't completely trash it xD It's been a warm December, so who knows? I'd have a warmer outfit just in case.

just curious, whats"warm" to you Ohio folk. Im in california, so when i hear "warm december," im thinking like in the 70s or 80s?

Anyone think we will hear about the 2nd round from Ohio this week?

I'm from New England and right now warm is in the 40s and 50s so I probably wouldn't be thinking 70s and 80s.