Ohio Workman's Compensation Study: Fusion vs Conserative Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCommonSense

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the same diagnoses, multiple INDEPENDENT workman compensation studies out to 2 years have confirmed that conservative therapy offers better return to work, lower narcotic usage and better pain control (plus FAR cheaper) when compared to fusion surgeries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20736894

I continue to push for an exhaustive usage of conservative treatments before consideration of surgeries. I often hear about surgeons telling patients they will be "paralyzed" if they don't get a fusion or "why get a band-aid when I can fix the problem".

Apparently, their "fix" appear to be worse than the disease itself for the vast majority of patients. I rather get the "band-aid".

Ok time for work! Have fun with this post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any way of getting the full article?

Thanks

I find it mildly amusing that the poster who has critiqued PT and CBT as not having level one evidence and should be eliminated is posting an article suggesting conservative therapy, which typically includes PT and CBT, is preferred to surgical intervention....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the article.

Attachments

• LBP-Longterm Outcomes of lumbar Fusion Among Workers Compensation Subjects.pdf
    955.6 KB · Views: 38
I find it mildly amusing that the poster who has critiqued PT and CBT as not having level one evidence and should be eliminated is posting an article suggesting conservative therapy, which typically includes PT and CBT, is preferred to surgical intervention....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There is no "level 1" evidence for either CBT or PT.

But when comparing PT and CBT to fusion patients in workman's comp cases, they are both superior for the same diagnosis.

Why is that "amusing" to you?

Reactions: 1 user