About the ads

OIS/OBC/COT info

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by aperry06, Feb 2, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect

Attending Physician
    Physician Air Force SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    No offense, but maybe this is a calling for you to get in shape. If you are like me and in your 20's think of this as the PRIME of your life.

You wouldn't even have to do much if you're going to the summer session. Just run or do the ellipitical machine 2-3X per week for 5, 10, 15, and 20 minutes (as you get in better shape) and finish up with a few situps and pushups each time gradually doing a few more each time. It WILL get easier and in two or three months you will look back and wonder how you weren't able to do it before. You don't have to go "warrior" and max out at 300 lbs on the bench, just take baby steps. Again, if you're young your body will acclimate quickly provided you don't overexert yourself. (It seems like you prob don't work out much... if you do, I apologize for the assumption)
  2. Total Shrinkage

Total Shrinkage

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey, no offense taken, but I am older than you think. 38. In fact, I believe that I *am* in shape. I'll likely outrun most of the people in my class because I've been jogging 3.5miles daily rain or shine for the last 10 or so years. It's just staying fit never included sit-ups or push-ups for me. When I tried the push ups, it seems that you're right-- I can gradually work myself up to at least the "satisfactory" level. But the sit-ups are different for me. I have really hard time getting anywhere past 15. Thus my concern.
  3. fitnesspremed

fitnesspremed

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok, so I am going to sound like a TOTAL loser but...
    I know we have PT at COT/OBLC (haven't decided between branches), but I am a female who has bad genes when it comes to weight and I have to work out 1.5-2 hours/day to keep my weight down. Is it possible to work out on your own at these places, or do they not let you? I'm just wondering, since that would totally screw me. thanks all!
  4. LauraDO

LauraDO

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

actually I had the same question not because of weight issues but I'm a runner and just can't get through the day without my morning run. Will they have any problems with us waking up early and going for a run before things get going
  5. 73BARMYPgsp

73BARMYPgsp Post Doc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I am pretty sure at OBLC you will be in billeting (it's like an on-post hotel) with a first fomation time every morning that you have to get yourself to. (It's not like Basic training where the drill sergeants come into the barracks banging on trash cans and yelling at everybody--been there, done that). So I guess conceivably you get up at whatever time you want to do any amount of running you feel like doing. The worst thing you can do in the military is not be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there.
  6. fitnesspremed

fitnesspremed

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    nice, i feel much better- i'm totally with you laura, i cannot function without some form of exercise in the morning!
  7. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does anyone know when we will actually receive our orders to go to OBLC/COT/OIS? I've already applied, but I have a feeling it will be a while before I hear anything back.
  8. CCU Nurse

CCU Nurse

Other Health Professions Student
    Hello I am new to the forum and recently completed my MEPS physical. I'm now waiting on my security clearance and eligablilty/ letter of acceptance from the AF review boards. With that said, I have been told by my recruiter that I will be attending the June 08' COT class which I believe starts on the 30th. Is anyone else attending this class? I have gotten the answer to several of my questions from the blog, altough I have soem other pretty general questions.

1.) I need to select bases for my application/contrat to the AF. I am a CCU nurse and I am interested in furthering my education in anesthesia as a CRNA, I would also like to be part of the AF CCAT (critical care air transport team). So which bases would best benifit me with the above in mind.

2.) Were can I find more info on what I need to bring to COT?
  9. twillson

twillson

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will find this website to be your one stop shopping spot for detailed info about COT. http://www.afoats.af.mil/OTS/COT-RCOT/COTDOletter.asp Read it carefully! There are links to the left of this page that will explain a lot of things. The more you read the smoother your transition will go. You should plan to drive as it will make life much more fun during your down time. Also get the packing list and take you uniforms with you! You don't want to be part of the cluster buying there and getting screwed on sizes, or having them sew something on wrong because they are doing so many. Other option is to arrive a couple days early and get all the uniform stuff done.
    USUHS has a CRNA program you could apply to while on active duty.
  10. DrSwim

DrSwim

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    From reading all the posts here (thank you, very helpful!) I understand to get uniforms ahead of time. What's the deal with bringing personal laptops? Allowed but cannot get personal email in the dorm room?

Is there anyone here going to COT 1 Jul- 1 Aug? Is the class usually approx 300 people? even worse, 300 people in good shape? thanks!
  11. Miss Mab

Miss Mab generally disenchanted

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can't speak to the computer thing---though my friend who just got back said the absolute best thing you could bring would be a portable printer/scanner/drive thingie. Not required but apparently will save you lots of time/effort.

BUT, I wanted to make sure everyone got the heads up on the uniforms if you are pre-buying---which is still a good idea.

ABU's are now the required uniform at COT and as you probably know they are getting very hard to come by at some bases and online. If you are going to any of the summer classes I'd get on it now....

I'm peeved because I've been drilling for months in uniform prior to attending COT (and couldn't get the ABU's 'cause there were none so I bought the tree suits instead) and once fully trained my AFSC requires the flightsuit so now I gotta go buy a whole bunch of OTHER uniforms I won't be wearing ever again....... I guess this is one of those officer "privileges" :)

Ok, personal rant over....thanks for listening....
  12. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician Air Force SDN 10+ Year Member
    Definitely bring a laptop, a USB drive, and a printer/scanner/copier. The reason is that your entire flight (16 people) will have access to only one computer. Further, the computers are not accessible after 9PM. On several occasions I had to use my roommate's computer to type my assignments at 9:30 or whenever I got the time.

Technically, you can't have personal through services such as Hotmail and Yahoo. Unpopular websites don't get blocked. I used mail2web.com and got by just fine with checking my school's email.
  13. twillson

twillson

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree about bringing a laptop but for different reasons. The flight does not share 1 computer as far as I know. I went in June 06 and we had 1 computer in each room, so 1 computer per 2 students since you have a roomate. You can use it 24/7 whenever you need to. My reason for taking a laptop is that you will not want to sit in your room doing assignments! Panera in montgomery has free WiFi so you can go sit have some coffee and do your personal e-mail and assignments in a much nicer place than those little COT rooms. We had no need for a scanner so I'm not sure what Deuist used it for.
  14. deuist

Attending Physician
    When I went, only some of the dorms had computers---not all of them. What's worse is that my password (along with half of my flight's) never worked the entire month. Our only available computer was the one in the flight room---hence, why I said 16 students to one computer. The copier was necessary for a few occasions when we needed to make copies of assignments and handouts. While there is a copy machine in the class building, going there is quite a walk.
  15. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    For Navy do you have any free time to workout at the gym on your own? It's a good stress reliever to me, and the schedule I saw seems like the day is fairly packed.

I also read for Navy you can't eat in your room because of "pests". Does this mean cockroaches? I hate roaches... them and spiders are the two things that freak me out...:scared:
  16. eschott

eschott

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ha,
    What great comments about COT. I was at Maxwell AFB this past summer doing AFROTC Field Training and have to say, it's pretty funny watching a 100+ line of commissioned officers greeting ROTC cadets as they walk by at attention. Don't worry, I was completely jealous of you all the whole time.

Thanks for imparting your experience!
  17. FutureNavyFP

FutureNavyFP Newbee

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I never saw any live cockroaches in Newport, I think there were too many geese. :D

My Chief was pretty laid back, so we had free time at the end of the day and on weekends to workout if we wanted to.
  18. twillson

twillson

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I do not recall being required to greet anyone but commissioned officers...the BOT folks and ROTC folks greeted us since we were all commissioned officers...but then again there are a lot of confused officers walking around there!
  19. rettachica

rettachica

Medical Student
    Hi. I was wondering if you are doing the HPSP and which branch? I just was offerend an AF HPSP and am trying to get some insight from current HPSP medical students. Please let me know anything and everything that you know about the HPSP from an insider prespective. Was there anything in your contract that you had them correct before signing it?
  20. mtthwscott1

mtthwscott1 mtthwscott1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have a question about tailoring one's uniforms (assuming some of you guys purchased them in advance of your summer training session)... I just purchased most of my stuff (during spring break) but at a base near my house which is not near my school... how do I get onto a base that is more local to my school to have this stuff altered while I'm out at school? Can I just show up at a front gate with my COT travel orders/appointment paperwork? I also have to pick up a few more things that this particular base didn't have at the time.

Thanks!
  21. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Um... you just drive up and show them your military ID card?
  22. mrsgoomba

mrsgoomba

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey is anybody going to COT from May to June 08? I am a bit nervous and am curious how others are preparing (PT/learning AF stuff).
  23. Total Shrinkage

Total Shrinkage

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am going in July, and started on my pushups/situps in February because I was far below the minimum standards. Alas, I already built up my endurance for both (running was never a problem for me, so I didn't even bother to "work" on that). So, my advice is start strengthening whatever weak PT areas you may have, and you'll be fine. I think their website http://www.afoats.af.mil/ots/ has a PT prep guide as well. BTW, I hear that the COT is a piece of cake compared to the Navy's ODS, so we'll be fine!
  24. 350011

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anybody know what they are? I'm going by my dad's recommendation of 50 push ups, 60 sit-ups, 10 pull ups (all the preceding in two minute sets), and a 14 minute 2 mile. I can do everything except the push ups without much trouble--at 6'1" my triceps burn out around 40 and I have to do them one-by-one thereafter. Is there any reason to work for more than those numbers? Will someone be holding my feet for the sit ups? If not, am I done if my toes come off the deck?--I do them with my feet slipped under my couch to help with the balance. For the push ups, are we tested on elbows out (wider than shoulder emphasizing chest), elbows in (flush to body, emphasizing triceps), or is any form we want fair game?

I used to run track and figure I could get back down to an 11 minute 2 mile in the next two months if I really bust my butt, but is it even worth it? eg will they give me less crap if I can rock the PT stuff from the gate or can i just relax at it a bit? Is it better to just stick with the pack on the PT stuff? I have a competitive swimming background and am really interested in doing UMO Training, so will my ODS PFT results follow me? If I dominate it does that make me a better candidate later on?

Thanks, I know it's a lot of questions.
  25. deuist

Attending Physician
    Do a search for fitness standards and your particular branch of service. The standards are based upon gender and age. At COT, someone holds your legs during situps and the count is pretty easy going---done by your classmates.
  26. mrsgoomba

mrsgoomba

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is it crunches or sit-ups? I keep reading crunches, but does someone know for sure???
  27. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Physician Air Force SDN 5+ Year Member
    i believe it's sit-ups. the guide for COT says "crunches", but when you read the description it sounds suspiciously like a sit-up.
  28. elderjack21

elderjack21

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think they are actually something in-between. Odd I know...but that is just the way it is.
  29. 350011

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Arms corssed with hands on shoulders, motion carried to point where elbows touch legs. Apparently no pull-ups(?)
  30. 350011

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is what I found on google. Again no pull-ups for some reason and the pushups are only to parallel, not til your chest is just off the ground (had to touch a tennis ball in high school). Still don't think I'd ever do 80 pushups straight without breaking proper form and execution, my goal now is 80/70/10:00 for the final PFT...
    http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/resources/PTstandards.pdf
    http://www.navy-prt.com/files/6110.1H.pdf

USN Physical Readiness Test Standards
    (Test site elevation LESS than 5,000 ft above sea level)
    Performance Males: Age 20-24 years

Performance Leve Pts: Situp Pushup 1.5mi 500yd 450m
    Outstanding High 100: 105 87 8:30 6:30 6:20
    Outstanding Medium 95: 103 86 9:00 7:00 6:50
    Outstanding Low 90: 98 81 9:15 7:30 7:20
    Excellent High 85: 94 77 9:45 8:00 7:50
    Excellent Medium 80: 90 74 10:00 8:15 8:05
    Excellent Low 75: 87 71 10:30 8:45 8:35
    Good High 70: 78 64 10:45 9:30 9:20
    Good Medium 65: 66 55 11:30 10:30 10:20
    Good Low 60: 58 47 12:00 11:30 11:20
    Satisfactory High 55: 54 45 12:45 12:00 11:50
    Satisfactory Medium 50: 50 42 13:15 12:15 12:05
    Probationary 45: 46 37 13:30 13:00 12:50
  31. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I go to the gym a lot, but it has been like months since I did a push up. Guess I gotta get started.

Does it even matter at OIS, like really matter? Because I am thinking medicore keeps people from making you squad leader or whatever lame thing.
  32. deuist

Attending Physician
    I don't know about OIS, but your physical fitness level has nothing to do with leadership at COT. You will, however, get invited to join the platinum club and get to work out indoors while everyone else is outside. Don't blow off the PT test; it counts toward your overall score for distinguished graduate.
  33. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    What does it matter between working out indoors or outdoors? Are you prohibited from going to the weight room or something?

With distinguished graduate, does that actually mean anything after OIS?
  34. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!

Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
    Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    hmm... I suppose if you're going for like 0-9 or something it might matter??? hehe...
  35. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Uh.......NO.
  36. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    HAHA, I figured.

But I probably wont even be going this summer. If ODS is full can I get school orders?
  37. deuist

Attending Physician
    Titles like "distinguished graduate" don't matter for doctors since they have guaranteed promotion. Only the line officers really care about training awards.
  38. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Looks like ODS is full. Me orders were dissaproved. Does anyone know if I can do school orders now?

So I guess I will need to complete ODS for the Navy... during third or fourth years or after graduation.
  39. Jolie South

Medical Student
    this might be lame, but i'm totally worried about being physically prepared for COT. i'm working my arse off right now doing situps, pushups, running almost every day. i can probably work up to a "pass" of 75 before COT.

are most people at COT awesome athletes that run 8 minute miles and such? i just don't want to be the "crappy, weak one."

any input would be greatly appreciated. also, what's the male/female breakdown of trainees? is it mostly dudes?
  40. deuist

Attending Physician
    Very few of the people at COT were athletes. I remember seeing several people vomit after the 1.5 mile run. If you're getting in shape now, you should be fine by the time COT rolls around.
  41. Jolie South

Medical Student
    ok, well i feel better then. i can definitely run 1.5 or even 3 miles without vomiting. :thumbup:
  42. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 5+ Year Member
  43. RugbyJC

RugbyJC Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This was Navy OIS, but there was probably an even male/female mix in my class. As the other user says, most were not awesome athletes by any means. In fact, if you are an athlete you might find yourself at a lower level of physical fitness when you finish than when you started...and even if there are more dudes, we had females who could do more pushups and run faster than a lot of the dudes.
  44. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Damn, looks like I wont be there this summer. Definite no on ODS. Which is either :( or :)...

Has anyone done ODS between second and third year? I know that is a pretty bad time with part of The Test coming up, but if anyone has and has managed...?
  45. Jolie South

Medical Student
    i'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. my gym has free personal training so i've been taking advantage of that to get ready. one of the guys that works there also did OBC, so he's been helpful as well.

i just didn't want to be THAT girl that couldn't do pushups or lagged behind on the run or whatever.
  46. RugbyJC

RugbyJC Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    There were a lot of "THAT girls" and "THAT guys". As long as you can run and can do pushups, you'll be fine, and even if you are "THAT girl" your classmates won't care. At least my class was pretty encouraging of each other.
  47. deuist

Attending Physician
    I'll second the encouraging part. Since we tested on a track, the people who finished first would go back and push the others to run faster. We even cheered on people from other flights we didn't know.
  48. twillson

twillson

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just FYI for those going to COT. COT has an age range from like 22-40 something. There will be people in the flight that have not seen a track for years to months and people who don't know what a track is (well that may be a small fib but you get the drift). We did have 1 female in our company that ran a sub 9min 1.5 miles but only 1. If you have been exercising some or a lot you will be ahead of the majority that are there with you. Bottom line don't sweat the PT. When you go out in the morning make yourself work. Nobody is going to push you to do that extra pushup, situp, flutter kick, or whatever except you. You will get out what you put into it. Most people do improve their fitness scores during the time spent at COT.
  49. LauraDO

LauraDO

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    damn, I can easily run a sub 9 min 1.5, do we get extra points for that?:laugh:
  50. Founder

Founder

SDN 2+ Year Member
    You get to go back and cheer on those who aren't as fast as you in a condescending tone like they're in elementary school!. ;) Joking. But a sub 9 mile and a half is pretty good and you'd be set for any of the training.

My fastest run has been 8:20ish with some hefty training (did too much and hurt myself) and most would come in around 9:30 to 10 minutes or so.