ok so now that your accepted to a program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juicy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for all of us out there that love audiology and want to pursue our doctorate....has anyone else heard some adversity about the actual career? As far as job availabilty.....hospitals not paying us what we should be making with a doctorate....and hearing aid dispeners taking business away from us....is everyone still sure that after putting in the work of going through the program they will have a successful job? comments pleaseeeee

Members don't see this ad.

define 'succsessful'.

This is an argument put forward for many academic career paths. One glaring example are the people with M.Arch degrees that end up doing "CAD monkey" work all day. I enjoy the whole architectural thing, but everything in the field has changed to accomodate efficiency. This leaves otherwise talented people to "pump CAD" and accomodate various buildings to the next McDonalds that plans to come in.

The same can be said for various fields in respect to their particular job markets. Architecture is, again, a good field to use as an example; the housing crisis makes the architect's job a very boring one if noone wants to build houses/businesses.

I've even seen the job market fluctuate such that anesthesiologists cannot even easily secure a steady, permenant full-time position. This was an extreme case in the mid-'90s when the anesthesia market was flooded...such anesthesiologist, who shall remain nameless, had to go all the way to St. Lucia & later Minot North Dakota to fill temp positions.

All bets are off with all career fields. The Soviets tried to eliminate this by instituting state control over the economy; even this effort failed. To use the architects as an example again, there are many political cartoons depicting architects that were relegated to sweeping the floor...there ended up being just too many for the sector to productively integrate within that job field.

In the end, it comes down to picking a career field and hoping for the best, making rational decisions along the way. Myself, in this economic environment, I'd think myself adequately paid if I got anything above $40,000.00 right out of school. I might even be able to deal with a little less than that as a newbie. The most important thing to me right now is a steady job that doesn't completely stress me out with pompous, overbearing coworkers and supervisors that I don't have to work around the clock to appease without getting overtime, often putting my life and well-being at risk in so doing. If I do get the aforementioned negative, non-productive work environment, I would like a certain amount of job mobility so I can take my skills elsewhere if need be (or maybe even work for myself!). The ability to really make a difference in peoples' lives is another thing that would make the average workday worthwhile, rather than just being relegated to "monkey work".

To me, after working in the uniformed services, I have come to accept that there are things much more important than pay when we're talking about career paths. All of the above italicized items are the major reasons I am going into this career field. An increased salary, to me, is icing on the cake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to say that successful in this career is making over 100K. Why would you settle for 40K when other professions who have as much education as us (8 years) are making tripple or more what you make? Especially if we are paying back student loans for 8 years of education, I would think that after such an intense grueling program a high salary should be unsaid. I know plenty of people with bachelors degrees that come out and make 50K, so I would think an individual with a doctorate would make a significant more amount of money.

Don't underestimate yourself or settle for less than you should be getting!

Of the graduates I know, besides one in public schools, the rest are making $85k+. A couple are making $100k+ two years out.

It is really up to you how successful you are, no matter what your definition. People can be extremely happy making $50k doing something 'rewarding' like working in public education with kids. People can be happy working in corporate sales for a commission. Your best chance at making the most money though is starting your own practice and working hard to make it sucessful.

Of the graduates I know, besides one in public schools, the rest are making $85k+. A couple are making $100k+ two years out.

It is really up to you how successful you are, no matter what your definition. People can be extremely happy making $50k doing something 'rewarding' like working in public education with kids. People can be happy working in corporate sales for a commission. Your best chance at making the most money though is starting your own practice and working hard to make it sucessful.

thx for the info, DrumHead. Grapevine is near Dallas isn't it?..are you at UTD? $85k+ is pretty good living with the housing costs in that area.

Although audiology does not seem to generate as high of a demand as other health profession fields (i.e., nursing, pharmacy), there are jobs available. Check out www.audiologyonline.com or USA Jobs for VA employment. The key is your willingness to re-locate. As far as salary, no one should accept less than 40k in our field. That is certainly very low to begin with for any person with a graduate degree, let alone a doctorate. It is persons who are willing to accept such low-wages which drives our salaries down. For example, the female audiologist who views her income as secondary compared to her husbands. Consequently, she accepts whatever the ENT pays her rather than not accepting anything below what she has deemed as her own professional worth. Of course, in situations such as public schools the pay will be less and that is non-negotiable. These persons taking educational audiology jobs have a passion for working with children and choose to do so in spite of the low pay.

Defining success as anyone who makes over 100k is a high bar to set. To my knowledge, this would include some (but not all) full professor positions, jobs in industry, as well as very successful private practice owners (don't expect this salary if you are in private practice and not an owner). Also, I've heard some military positions have been rather generous as of late.

That's just my take on things.