Older IMG seeks family medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My husband is a 1989 graduate of medical school who did his internship and residency in ophthalmology overseas. He completed his retina and glaucoma fellowships in the United States in the 1990's, and a Ph.D. in Germany in 2000. After being in a private practice overseas for the past 14 years, he's decided he wants to return to the U.S. to do a family medicine residency. His heart isn't in ophthalmology anymore, and he wants to go back to why he wanted to get into medicine in the first place. He is a U.S. citizen. He is ECFMG certified (1990-i think), but he never did step 3. He is planning on taking step 3 in the next few months, and applying for a medical license in a state that has no time limit on the steps. The big problem is the fact that he graduated so long ago. His fellowship mentors are willing to write letters of recommendation for him, as is the head of the department where he works now. Is this the impossible dream? If not, could working for the Veterans Administration in ophthalmology while he waits for next years match help him? He can't be board certified in ophthalmology in the US, so I think the VA is a little more lax. Would continuing to work in ophthalmology ruin his chances to be matched, if he has a chance that is? He is sincere in his desire to switch to family medicine. Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any and all advice that you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like he may need to get on the phone with some programs directors and get their take on this? Also may need to understand that he probably will have to go to some hateful location that never fills in order to get a residency. Of course, I'm just speculating.

Thanks Cabinbuilder for your reply. I never thought about having him inquire to the program directors. Great advice! Unfortunately, I think you're right about going to some horrible place to do residency, but at this point he'll take what he can get. Thank you!

Sounds like he may need to get on the phone with some programs directors and get their take on this? Also may need to understand that he probably will have to go to some hateful location that never fills in order to get a residency. Of course, I'm just speculating.