OMM is slowly but steadily sapping my life away. Offer me perspective: How long do I have to retain this stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMMisruiningmylife

Reaction score
Second Year student here who just can't wait to be done with this. I know I signed up for it when I chose a DO school, and I'm willing to do the work to get a good grade and progress...but I honestly can't wait to dump every bit of this info out of my head at the first opportunity. How long do I have to devote brain space to what I consider virtually useless "knowledge"?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The fact you are keeping it in your head at all is mildly concerning.

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
You just have to do it to get through school. Don't apply to any residencies that are Osteopathic recognized. Even if you went to an OR program, you can really choose to make it a part of your practice as much or as little as you like.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it in your head for the test then dump it. Relearn in the last 2 days before level 1 then dump it. Relearn it 1 day before level 2 then dump it. Don’t even study it for level 3.

even if you go to a osteopathic residency you won’t have to remember it mostly

Reactions: 11 users
OP's username though...

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
The fact you are keeping it in your head at all is mildly concerning.
My school does constant small assessments, and the OMM faculty are virtually the only on-campus faculty, with the science faculty mostly at a different location. So the OMM people are really the face of the school, and if they get a hint you aren't a True Believer™, they make things hard...almost like getting shut out. So, yeah, it's super annoying but I have to devote some part of active memory to this stuff just to stay in their good graces.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
My school does constant small assessments, and the OMM faculty are virtually the only on-campus faculty, with the science faculty mostly at a different location. So the OMM people are really the face of the school, and if they get a hint you aren't a True Believer™, they make things hard...almost like getting shut out. So, yeah, it's super annoying but I have to devote some part of active memory to this stuff just to stay in their good graces.
Or just act like you are dumb. Working hard to remember but the material is just so hard that you aren’t understanding it lol

Reactions: 5 users
Second Year student here who just can't wait to be done with this. I know I signed up for it when I chose a DO school, and I'm willing to do the work to get a good grade and progress...but I honestly can't wait to dump every bit of this info out of my head at the first opportunity. How long do I have to devote brain space to what I consider virtually useless "knowledge"?
Suspend your disbelief, try to learn something useful, remember that you'll be great at palpating things, and that the next three years will pass quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
Retain the intense disdain that you currently feel toward OMM until you finally become an attending, and then speak out. Too many DO students suffer through this pseudoscientific nonsense and then do nothing about it when they finish their training and actually have autonomy and power.

Join the ever-growing (but currently silent) movement of DO students who will one day be at the forefront of the battle to abolish the DO degree and finally unify the profession under the MD umbrella.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Retain the intense disdain that you currently feel toward OMM until you finally become attending, and then speak out. Too many DO students suffer through this pseudoscientific nonsense and then do nothing about it when they finish their training and actually have autonomy and power.

Join the ever-growing (but currently silent) movement of DO students who will one day be at the forefront of the battle to abolish the DO degree and finally unify the profession under the MD umbrella.
Because it doesn’t matter anymore and is a lot of work lol. They’re too busy moving on with the rest of their life. I used to think your 2nd paragraph would happen but the further along I go the less I am sure. Unless there are enough inferiority complexes to sustain the amount of energy it would require to abolish the DO degree then I don’t see it happening.

Dig deep and do whatever you can to make it interesting. The fact is that in a DO school you're stuck with OMM at least until comlex 2, so you might as well get something out of it. Personally I use it as a way to review anatomy and the mechanics of different muscles. Whether or not you want to provide OMM to your future patients is up to you. I don't feel comfortable providing treatments to my patients that I don't believe in myself...

Members don't see this ad :)
Retain the intense disdain that you currently feel toward OMM until you finally become attending, and then speak out. Too many DO students suffer through this pseudoscientific nonsense and then do nothing about it when they finish their training and actually have autonomy and power.

I think this too, or physician degrees will eventually become a single DO/MD degree like an MBBS in Europe. Those who go to traditionally DO schools would be pigeonholed into primary care, and those at historically MD schools would be able to do anything else. So basically the same state of affairs we're in now. Just the degree would be the same all around...

I think this too, or physician degrees will eventually become a single DO/MD degree like an MBBS in Europe. Those who go to traditionally DO schools would be pigeonholed into primary care, and those at historically MD schools would be able to do anything else. So basically the same state of affairs we're in now. Just the degree would be the same all around...
which if thats the reality, the is it worth all of that energy? I think it would be much more realistic/fruitful to try and switch OMM to an elective instead of abolishing the entire degree.

Cram it before the exam and forget it. It may seem overwhelming but that is what most people do.

Keeping up with anki for MSK anatomy has good mileage. In the end you can sus a lot of stuff out by: 1) knowing the basics like how muscle energy works, what a key rib is, etc. 2) knowing the actions of muscles.

Learning viscerosomatics and chapman's points is very high yield on exams and pretty easy to keep up with. Even if you think the idea of using HVLA at T10 to fix menstrual cramps is stupid, a lot of questions come down to: 1) muscle action for muscle energy; 2) viscerosomatics

Dump it completely after 2nd year. Revive the single brain cell containing all your OMM knowledge 3 days before Level 2. Dump it again. Repeat for Level 3. Dump it forever.

I dumped it after second year's in-house OMM exams and 1 half assed day of studying for level 1. I seriously never studied it again for level 2 or PE (haha I didn't have to take it, Gimpel). I didn't even study any OMM for the OMM comat because failing requires you to be 2 SD below average at my school. I'm about to take level 3 and I will absolutely not be studying it.

Just cram and ignore, OP. Go be a doctor and learn medicine. It's just another hoop in a long list of expensive hoops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Keep it in your head for the test then dump it. Relearn in the last 2 days before level 1 then dump it. Relearn it 1 day before level 2 then dump it. Don’t even study it for level 3.

even if you go to a osteopathic residency you won’t have to remember it mostly
I’m sure it’s specialty dependent but do they actually teach omm at residencies that aren’t nmr?

I’m sure it’s specialty dependent but do they actually teach omm at residencies that aren’t nmr?
Some FM programs really won't leave you alone about it if you get forced into an O.R. program. One program that I'm familiar with that is OR won't let you opt out of that BS and they aren't even an actual former AOA program so it's even more strange.

• Angry
Some FM programs really won't leave you alone about it if you get forced into an O.R. program. One program that I'm familiar with that is OR won't let you opt out of that BS and they aren't even an actual former AOA program so it's even more strange.
This is all very strange. What about like anesthesia, GS, or EM?

This is all very strange. What about like anesthesia, GS, or EM?
Sorry but I have no clue as I don't know anyone at an O.R. program and don't have exposure to them besides an FM or IM program through school. I did interview at an O.R. rads program and asked them straight up if that would involve any of that nonsense and the resident said no so who knows.

The problem with the FM program I brought up earlier is that they didn't just want you to do an OMM clinic every once in a while but that they also wanted you to have an osTeOpaThIC (autocorrect so leaving it lol) exam note on a freaking inpatient service.

Bottom line, ask at every interview what O.R. means so you know what you are getting into if it matters to you.

• Wow
Definitely be wary. On the one hand these programs are DO friendly, OTH tho they expect you to do extra ‘osteopathic’ things that md’s dont. To me it would have sucked to be expected to do OMM in clinic all the time. Ironically enough I do more OMM now than I ever did in school or rotations, but really only for other residents and staff, and not for most patients. I’m not cracking any crinkly looking patients as I don’t think the risk is worth it after about 50. Hard to trust the bones of the unhealthy.

Have a friend that’s going to an OR residency in a PCP specialty and only had to do 1 OMM rotation where they just oversaw the med students/assigned them patients. Then never did it again

I’m really not looking at primary care at the moment, EM and anesthesia are on the short list. I figured an O.R. Anesthesia program may have omm worked into pain managment, but have zero clue.

I’m at an O.R. TY. I have to do 12 treatments and 1 presentation this year. I’d rather it not exist for sure. But this honestly isn’t THAT bad. It would be really annoying if it was more than one year though.

My core site had FM, IM, and gas programs that were O.R. I don’t think even FM really did all that much OMM at all unless they wanted it.

Suspend your disbelief, try to learn something useful, remember that you'll be great at palpating things, and that the next three years will pass quickly.
Agreed. A lot of Sports med physicians I have worked with who are MD's use a lot of the similar techniques to help their patients. So everything you learn will be useful to some extent. Keep learning.

You can basically dump 90% of it by 3rd year. So long as your school doesn't have some weird shelf exam (the test you take each month on rotations in 3rd year) system where they make their own OMM heavy tests, you quickly memorize the basic stupid stuff like Chapmans, Visceral, sacrum etc then forget it immediately after.

You need to do a minor review of OMM for Level 2 and level 3. After Level 3 you are DONE-DONE with all OMM unless you use it in practice, really. If you go to a DO heavy residency it may be different though.

Important thing to remember overall is that like many things in medicine this too shall pass. Like a summer rain storm or a bloody infected kidney stone, it too will pass.

Learn, forget, relearn for test/comlex, forget again. Rinse and repeat 😂

Lol I love how many DO students get downvoted to oblivion by other med students on meddit when they talk about how much of omm is pseudoscience.

Lol when I was on pediatrics, I did a few days on adolescent clinic. I picked up a scapular dyskinesia in a kid who had a weird back complaint. The attending asked if I was a DO lol.

• Haha
Lol I love how many DO students get downvoted to oblivion by other med students on meddit when they talk about how much of omm is pseudoscience.
Meddit is strangely a lot of DOs so I think it's natural that there are more true believers by proportion. Honestly, Meddit is super weird to me regarding DOs though because there are far more insulting comments about DOs on there despite there being more DOs there. It's also wayyyy more woke than SDN which you would think would limit those types of comments by people playing nice.

Meddit is strangely a lot of DOs so I think it's natural that there are more true believers by proportion. Honestly, Meddit is super weird to me regarding DOs though because there are far more insulting comments about DOs on there despite there being more DOs there. It's also wayyyy more woke than SDN which you would think would limit those types of comments by people playing nice.

Not to derail but “woke” internet people on Reddit tend to be pretty intolerant and aggressive when you aren’t in agreement with them lol.

Consider this practice in dealing with the plethora of nonsense that comes with medicine. Eventually, you wont have to worry about OMM but itll be replaced by other ridiculousness.

Embrace the suck is all you can do.

it is a hoop to jump through just like undergraduate community service. just do it bro

The worst part is that for me at least, OMM is way harder than systems-based medicine or any of the actual medicine we learn... Half the stuff in OMM just makes no logical sense. At this point it's become the hardest part of medical school.

The worst part is that for me at least, OMM is way harder than systems-based medicine or any of the actual medicine we learn... Half the stuff in OMM just makes no logical sense. At this point it's become the hardest part of medical school.
damn if opp is the hardest part of your med school i feel sorry for you

I couldn't "fake" OMM the way my classmates could. Before practicals they would have all their diagnoses picked out beforehand, I could not do it and hated OMM even more so for it lol.

some
some places have a pretty strong osteopathic culture. For example, at my school they inject that stuff into every systems lecture that we have.

Also, many of the OMT instructors have a trigger finger when it comes to failing students on OPP practicals. All it takes is one bad score to be sent to remediation. Pretty toxic IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
some

some places have a pretty strong osteopathic culture. For example, at my school they inject that stuff into every systems lecture that we have.

Also, many of the OMT instructors have a trigger finger when it comes to failing students on OPP practicals. All it takes is one bad score to be sent to remediation. Pretty toxic IMO.
That sounds horrible, I'm sorry

some

Ahhhh, yes, those True Believers. They can do a lot of damage. LMU students have told me of one who uses a plunger to demonstrate "cupping".

• Hmm
Ahhhh, yes, those True Believers. They can do a lot of damage. LMU students have told me of one who uses a plunger to demonstrate "cupping".
we had a plunger too lol, that was a fun lab

• Haha
  • Wow
I used OMM to become more solid in neuromuscular anatomy, which is very relevant in my field. Otherwise, I pretended to be interested in it only enough to get along with my profs and studied to pass the test, as I have no interest in OMT. I also thought of lab time as classmate social time and made a lot of friends. Since residency, I have not touched OMT and I do not plan to incorporate it into my future practice. However, I do refer patients somewhat regularly for it and I believe it to be an adequate non-pharmacologic option for pain.

• Love
we had a plunger too lol, that was a fun lab
They brought out those plungers in the last half of the very last OMM lab we ever had. I saw them getting them out and completely stopped pretending to care. I just left.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users