On Behalf of All of SDN: Thank You EVO DEVO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cpw said:
SDN is a non-profit organization. All SDN donor money goes to support servers and bandwidth. Running a site this size is NOT cheap.

All SDN mods are strictly volunteers... we make no money. (unless I'm getting royaly hosed) ;)

No money, but you guys get infinite power...

No, just kidding. Thanks for all your work. A lot of mods work hard to lift the veil of ignorancy around here, and I do appreciate it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
Liver, is your avatar a histone? A nucleosome? :laugh:
I think it's Little Red Riding Hood, on crack.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, a nucleosome, although I prefer Khenon's interpretation. :laugh: :laugh: <-- that's a double laugh, you know, where you chuckle over something and then reflect a little bit and then laugh again.

I don't know what I did with my old avatar, but I was studying for my biochem final the other day, and thought maybe this little guy would help. I got the A, so I guess it worked :thumbup:

yposhelley said:
No money, but you guys get infinite power...

Infinite power... over a very tiny little space :laugh:

sacrament said:
How in the world do you think that, sans moderators, SDNers are going to break into your account, find your e-mail address, find your IP address, etc.? How do you think the moderators are keeping these bizarre events from happening to you? Do you think that, without EvoDevo around, sacrament somehow gains the power to read your PMs and whatnot?

no, but they would never allow the stuff to be posted all over this board, unlike an unmoderated board...that is my point :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Alliteration, please: picopotence.
But that means "a very small amount of power," whereas "micromnipotence" means, oxymoronically, "a small amount of absolute power" and "epipotence" means "power around a certain specified area." I think that the latter two are closer to the required meaning.

You're correct, "picopotence" has nice consonance and rolls off the tongue. But so does "micromnipotence."

I take my neology seriously, thank you very much ;)

Why couldn't I just have been a bio major like everyone else?

yes thanks evo devo :) :love:

liverotcod said:
But that means "a very small amount of power," whereas "micromnipotence" means, oxymoronically, "a small amount of absolute power" and "epipotence" means "power around a certain specified area." I think that the latter two are closer to the required meaning.

You're correct, "picopotence" has nice consonance and rolls off the tongue. But so does "micromnipotence."

I take my neology seriously, thank you very much ;)

Why couldn't I just have been a bio major like everyone else?
Right. I should have said pico-omnipotence. But I wanted to avoid the diphthong effect, you know?

Hrm. While historically we've used Latin & Greek roots for our words, I propose branching out to other languages (btw, did you know that the word "guru" comes from Hindu? Cool...). What about German? "Kleinomnipotence"? Or how about French? "petitomnipotence"?

Hrm. Like that last one. :thumbup:

You guys are too funny!

How about ikiomnipotence ('iki' meaning 'little' in Hawaiian).

yposhelley said:
You guys are too funny!

How about ikiomnipotence ('iki' meaning 'little' in Hawaiian).
petitomnipotence, ikiomnipotence - good stuff :thumbup: